For an account please email account at racerfans dot com.

Juice Hill

This forum is for the discussion of the men's basketball team.
racernut69
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Juice Hill

Post by racernut69 »

This kid Juice is amazing...the way he drives to the hoop is SO strong and ENTERTAINING
His speed is remarkable and his "dishes" under the rim are improving.

Love that kid! We've got great talent - and God bless them all - but for me - Juice is the the man.

Question: Why doesn't he start?
Like this! Liked
bjhracer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Re: Juice Hill

Post by bjhracer »

Kind of scared me with the juice Hill topic. He is an exciting player and I’m very happy he is a racer. I don’t understand the question?
Like this! Liked
jcruse64
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by jcruse64 »

He's started every game.
Like this! Liked
RacerHistory
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by RacerHistory »

Yeah, I think you might be mixing him with Trae Hannibal.

As to why anyone starts or doesn't, ask coach and he will always answer the same, "that's up to the players themselves" It's not philosophical, he literally means that.
Like this! Liked
wkeown
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by wkeown »

I'm trying to think who I would compare Juice Hill to from previous Racer squads. The only guy I can think of (especially at guard) that had such a turnaround from one year to the next was Justin Burdine. I can't compare them physically too much because Burdine played "bigger". Hill, however, just keeps getting better and better in all aspects of the game. His ceiling is beginning to look higher than Burdine's.

To be bluntly honest with you, the way he started out last year, I thought he might be a "one-and-doner". He was a poor shooter, made ill-advised drives to the basket that resulted in turnovers, and made way too many stupid passes. He seemed to me to be un-coachable.

This year, he may be one of the top 5 point guards in the conference and his stock keeps rising. Hats off this guy. His success is testament to hard work and grinding. And another hats-off to the coaching staff who kept working with him and obviously saw something in him that a moron, bulletin board jockey like me couldn't see. We are blessed to have such a talented coaching staff as well as players.
Like this! Liked
RacerPop
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by RacerPop »

His game this year reminds me of Aubrey Reece.Not so much last year.I think his turn around from last year is a primary reason for the teams turn around from last year.
Like this! Liked
evvracerfan
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by evvracerfan »

wkeown wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:26 pm And another hats-off to the coaching staff who kept working with him and obviously saw something in him that a moron, bulletin board jockey like me couldn't see. We are blessed to have such a talented coaching staff as well as players.
From one moron, bulletin board jockey to another :lol: - I was right there with you at the beginning of last year. By February last year, he was showing signs of turning things around, but he made a quantum leap this year. The staff saw a diamond in the rough and all I saw was the rough. Credit to the staff for ID'ing the talent and developing it, and especially to Hill for putting in the work. He now looks like a player that can play professionally somewhere when his college days are done if he keeps progressing.

As far as players that made a huge leap from one year to the next, I'd put Wayne Langston in that category. Didn't look like a contributor until the last month or so of his first season, but he was a great low post scoring option the next year. Too bad we didn't have much talent around him that year.
Like this! Liked
smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 »

I was convinced he was another in a list of PG busts last season and into the first couple games this season if I’m honest, but happy he’s made a “moron” out of me.
Like this! Liked
atlantaracer
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by atlantaracer »

Hill’s improvement has been terrific, and I agree a big key to this year’s turnaround.

I think his improvement is the best I can recall. Donte Poole went from limited role player to outstanding in 1 year, but I think he had too much competition in earlier years to get minutes (Canaan, miles, Jenkins). Remember, Canaan didn’t start his first 2 years (although he played major minutes). I think Poole just needed a chance. But he was crazy good that last year.

I remember Reece seemed out of place his freshman year. I cringed when he played that first year. He turned out to be pretty good to say the least. Farrell as a big man came on his senior year.

Let’s hope Hill continues his fine play over the next 2 months - then the next 2 years. No reason at this point to think he won’t.
Like this! Liked
wkeown
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by wkeown »

evvracerfan wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:33 pm
wkeown wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:26 pm And another hats-off to the coaching staff who kept working with him and obviously saw something in him that a moron, bulletin board jockey like me couldn't see. We are blessed to have such a talented coaching staff as well as players.
From one moron, bulletin board jockey to another :lol: - I was right there with you at the beginning of last year. By February last year, he was showing signs of turning things around, but he made a quantum leap this year. The staff saw a diamond in the rough and all I saw was the rough. Credit to the staff for ID'ing the talent and developing it, and especially to Hill for putting in the work. He now looks like a player that can play professionally somewhere when his college days are done if he keeps progressing.

As far as players that made a huge leap from one year to the next, I'd put Wayne Langston in that category. Didn't look like a contributor until the last month or so of his first season, but he was a great low post scoring option the next year. Too bad we didn't have much talent around him that year.
He is becoming a great bullet point for that "Point Guard U" resume.
Like this! Liked
msuowns
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by msuowns »

evvracerfan wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:33 pm

Right on the money with Wayne Langston. He has always been my most improved and then Juice comes along. Coach’s dont get enough credit for finding a diamond in the rough. Juice gets the credit tho. Howard Boone was all over Juice early last year, as a star is born. I was all over the fence on him. PG U.
Like this! Liked
atlantaracer
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by atlantaracer »

Moron me. When I said Ferrell, I was thinking lefty Langston. Agree with that one.
Like this! Liked
Tick21
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by Tick21 »

Some of the biggest jumps from one year to the next are some of our legends: Jeff Martin, Popeye Jones, Marcus Brown, and even Ja Morant. Each of them made huge jumps between their Freshmen and Sophomore Year’s. And for Juice (not to be confused with those players) made a huge jump between year one and year two at the D1 level. Not to say I saw this level of improvement coming for him, but you could see he had elite level athleticism. I didn’t know, but happy to see his decision making improve by leaps and bounds (and it’s this part of his game that I can’t think of anyone improving as much as him in one year) and his shooting as well.
Like this! Liked
jcruse64
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by jcruse64 »

smidge34 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:49 pm I was convinced he was another in a list of PG busts last season and into the first couple games this season if I’m honest, but happy he’s made a “moron” out of me.
Put me down in the Moron column, as well. I'd get fairly mad at times, last season, on some of the things he dribbled himself in to. And when he pulled up for a 3, I'd start to turn away, cringing.

Did the same thing the first couple of games this year, only to drop my jaw in disbelief as the play or the 3 resulted in points. Now, I'm happily grabbing the hot sauce to dash on all the crow I'm eating :lol: :lol:

Very well done by Juice and the coaches :clap: :clap:
Like this! Liked
jcruse64
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by jcruse64 »

Tick21 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:54 pm Some of the biggest jumps from one year to the next are some of our legends: Jeff Martin, Popeye Jones, Marcus Brown, and even Ja Morant. Each of them made huge jumps between their Freshmen and Sophomore Year’s. And for Juice (not to be confused with those players) made a huge jump between year one and year two at the D1 level. Not to say I saw this level of improvement coming for him, but you could see he had elite level athleticism. I didn’t know, but happy to see his decision making improve by leaps and bounds (and it’s this part of his game that I can’t think of anyone improving as much as him in one year) and his shooting as well.
It's easy to forget, in the bright light of Ja's star now, that he was sometimes hurting the team with his play in his freshman season, including in their NCAA game against WV. What a difference, coming into his 2nd and final season! There was a lot already beginning to show of his future, in his freshman year, but he definitely went "next level" in year 2. You're right about the others you named, as well.
Like this! Liked
racernut69
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by racernut69 »

His stunning speed and fearlessness is amazing...

His dishes to the bigs under the rim is going to be huge for us
Like this! Liked
75Fan
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by 75Fan »

The fact that our bigs are waiting for those dishes underneath is amazing to me as well!
Like this! Liked
smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 »

20 points 10 assists 0 turnovers OMG I’m a moron :mrgreen:
Like this! Liked
RacerPop
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by RacerPop »

He saved us from a very bad loss last night.
Like this! Liked
MolineRacer
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by MolineRacer »

Didn’t see this coming but he started waking me up in the Memphis game. I’m one to add to the moron list. His improvement is stunning.
Like this! Liked