For an account please email account at racerfans dot com.

Ranking the Conferences

This forum is for the discussion of the men's basketball team.
75Fan
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Ranking the Conferences

Post by 75Fan »

i wanted to get a feel for how the transfer portal has affected the various conferences so far.

I ranked each conference's best-ranked teams against each other, each conference's worst-ranked teams against each other and each conference's average ranking against each other.

Here's the results so far...

CONFERENCE		PERCENTILE
BIG TWELVE		   95.8333
BIG TEN			   92.7083
SOUTHEASTERN		   91.6667

BIG EAST		   88.5417
ATLANTIC COAST		   83.3333
PACIFIC TWELVE		   82.2917

MOUNTAIN WEST		   77.0833
ATLANTIC TEN		   73.9583

AMERICAN ATHLETIC	   69.7917
WEST COAST		   69.7917
CONFERENCE USA		   66.6667
MISSOURI VALLEY		   63.5417

SOUTHERN		   56.2500
IVY LEAGUE		   51.0417

METRO ATLANTIC		   48.9583
SUN BELT		   47.9167
MID-AMERICAN		   45.8333
COLONIAL		   42.7083
WESTERN ATHLETIC	   42.7083
BIG WEST		   41.6667

BIG SOUTH		   32.2917
SUMMIT			   31.2500
AMERICA EAST		   30.2083

ATLANTIC SUN		   25.0000
BIG SKY			   25.0000
HORIZON			   21.8750

PATRIOT			   16.6667
OHIO VALLEY		   10.4167

SOUTHLAND		    7.2917
SOUTHWESTERN ATHLETIC	    6.2500
NORTHEAST		    4.1667
MID-EASTERN		    2.0833

I was surprised to see how much the AAC fell and how strong CUSA became.

I was hoping the Missouri Valley would crack the Top-10.

I'll try to revisit this when all the transfers are complete (If I can remember!)
Like this! Liked
75Fan
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Re: Ranking the Conferences

Post by 75Fan »

If anyone hears of any further conference realignments moving forward, please let me know so I can keep up with the changes.

:thank:
Like this! Liked
RacerSurveyor
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by RacerSurveyor »

Being 12th is FAR better than being where OVC placed, which is only 2 notches above SWAC and 4 above MEAC.

:goracers: <<< Admin: could we get a "Go MVC" emoji?
Like this! Liked
75Fan
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by 75Fan »

RacerSurveyor wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 1:44 pm Being 12th is FAR better than being where OVC placed, which is only 2 notches above SWAC and 4 above MEAC.

:goracers: <<< Admin: could we get a "Go MVC" emoji?
and a "MVC MVP!" emoji?
Like this! Liked
RacerHistory
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by RacerHistory »

Let me take care of the new forum software first, then we'll see about new emojis 😉🐎

Lot of BIG changes in the works. ᕙ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ᕗ
Like this! Liked
VUGrad1314
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by VUGrad1314 »

So all of these rankings are post-realignment or are they for this upcoming season only? If they are post-realignment I am a bit surprised by the remaining strength of the AAC. They lost two a great program in Houston a very good program in Cincinnati and a solid program in UCF and replaced them with some boat anchors (though granted UAB and North Texas are solid FAU and Charlotte are okay I guess but I doubt either of them will be as good as UCF much less Cincinnati or Houston. I think CUSA's strength will be relatively the same as what it was before this mass of defections. Although I think they lost quite a bit in football they recovered really well in basketball. They shed a lot of dead weight and meh programs and were able to add New Mexico State and Liberty. The biggest thing in CUSA's favor was that they held on to Western Kentucky and Middle Tennessee State (I'm honestly surprised they didn't take the MAC offer but maybe that massive pile of exit fees was just too good to pass up). Sam Houston isn't very good but Jacksonville State can be okay. Not sure if they'll be as good as say Charlotte or FAU but the potential is there at least. All of this said, I think the MVC even with the loss of Loyola and the addition of UIC in their place who will probably take a few years to get going (I like that addition long term though) will be a better conference than CUSA when the on-court results are revealed. I reiterate that I'm thrilled to have you guys in the MVC finally and looking forward to big things! It's a big step up but Murray State is the kind of program that can handle it! Any time you can jump from a bottom 10 conference to a top 10-12 conference I think you have to take it. In realignment you have to move up when you can especially if your move is tied to success and not other factors like market.
Like this! Liked
75Fan
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by 75Fan »

VUGrad1314 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:22 am So all of these rankings are post-realignment or are they for this upcoming season only? If they are post-realignment I am a bit surprised by the remaining strength of the AAC. They lost two a great program in Houston a very good program in Cincinnati and a solid program in UCF and replaced them with some boat anchors (though granted UAB and North Texas are solid FAU and Charlotte are okay I guess but I doubt either of them will be as good as UCF much less Cincinnati or Houston. I think CUSA's strength will be relatively the same as what it was before this mass of defections. Although I think they lost quite a bit in football they recovered really well in basketball. They shed a lot of dead weight and meh programs and were able to add New Mexico State and Liberty. The biggest thing in CUSA's favor was that they held on to Western Kentucky and Middle Tennessee State (I'm honestly surprised they didn't take the MAC offer but maybe that massive pile of exit fees was just too good to pass up). Sam Houston isn't very good but Jacksonville State can be okay. Not sure if they'll be as good as say Charlotte or FAU but the potential is there at least. All of this said, I think the MVC even with the loss of Loyola and the addition of UIC in their place who will probably take a few years to get going (I like that addition long term though) will be a better conference than CUSA when the on-court results are revealed. I reiterate that I'm thrilled to have you guys in the MVC finally and looking forward to big things! It's a big step up but Murray State is the kind of program that can handle it! Any time you can jump from a bottom 10 conference to a top 10-12 conference I think you have to take it. In realignment you have to move up when you can especially if your move is tied to success and not other factors like market.
They were as of May 9th according to all of the musical chairs of the transfer portal.

I'm sure it needs to be update soon and I'll try to do that as time allows.

Glad to be in the MVC.

The top 4 of the '21-22 OVC could hang with the MVC but to have every game be a quality game will take a supreme effort and focus with continual improvement and lots of hard work.

:hey: :lets: :goracers:
Like this! Liked
VUGrad1314
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by VUGrad1314 »

I agree that the top 3 of the 21-22 OVC could compete in the MVC (Murray State Belmont and Morehead State) but I don't think anybody else would have been able to. Of that top 3 I think only Murray State had the capability to be anything more than a middle of the pack team. Belmont's NET rating makes it look like it belongs in that echelon but they took some bad losses down the stretch leading me to believe they would have lost far more games in the MVC this past year. I also think Morehead State would have taken plenty of lumps as well. Any of these three could have jumped up and beaten a top half MVC team any night but they also easily could have lost. Only Murray State looked good enough to move through the MVC last year largely unscathed. That said, I have high hopes for both Murray State and Belmont. It will be a big step up in quality of competition but they are quality programs that should benefit a great deal from the recruiting bump playing in the MVC will provide. Just for fun I have taken the liberty of ranking the top 3 OVC schools with the MVC according to NET (I am including all outgoing and incoming MVC schools so it's not fully apples to apples but it does give a good idea:

Loyola Chicago (outgoing) 28
Murray State (incoming) 29
Missouri State 72
Belmont (incoming) 79
Drake 85
UNI 98
Bradley 102
Morehead State(OVC) 115
Southern Illinois 137
Illinois State 200
Valpo 207
Indiana State 238
UIC (Incoming) 283
Evansville 327

Every single other team in the OVC outside of the top 3 would slot below Indiana State with a whopping 4 OVC teams slotting below UIC. My point is I'm not so sure that anyone except Murray would have been a top half MVC team this year because it's easy to rack up NET points by beating sub 250 teams. With 10 teams inside the top 250 and 8 within the top 200 teams cannot coast night in and night out. I am more worried about Belmont than Murray in this regard but both teams are going to have to bring it because the MVC knows what these schools bring to the table and will be ready for them. As our coach said when we first moved up (paraphrasing) "it's going to be a challenge. The league has stronger teams and in addition to that we are new and have to learn 9 (or in Murray's case 10) other teams; while they have been playing together and have to learn one (or in this case 3) new teams." This is going to be exciting though and I look forward to a long and successful partnership between the Racers and the MVC! Be solid in basketball and other sports but mostly basketball and pack Arch Madness in St Louis and we fans will be thrilled! I really love both for the schools and the conference that Murray and Belmont got to keep their rivalry together even amid this realignment. Too many rivalries get lost in this stuff and it was nice to see one actually get preserved.

Do you all think Morehead State is going to be the class of the new OVC or will Little Rock emerge as a credible threat? Do you see anybody else challenging those two? Maybe Tennessee State with all the money the state will be paying to them?
Like this! Liked
75Fan
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by 75Fan »

Since Morehead lost Johnni Broome and Ta'Lon Cooper, they aren't as dangerous but a good portion of the OVC has gone through coaching upgrades and the quality of all but 3 or 4 teams is on an upward trajectory.

Little Rock and USI have had some success and I admittedly don't know much about Lindenwood other than their endowment.

I admit I'm looking forward to this season because of all the shuffling around but I'm really close to not caring anymore due to NIL. :shrug:
Like this! Liked
runningracer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by runningracer »

SEMO on top
Like this! Liked
75Fan
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by 75Fan »

runningracer wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:27 pm SEMO on top
SEMO went on the road and took out Missouri State 99-94 on 09 NOV 21. :suprised:
Like this! Liked
VUGrad1314
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by VUGrad1314 »

I guess I was mostly wondering if any team in the new look OVC will come to dominate the OVC the same way Murray and Belmont did or if the league will see a lot more parity in the new era. I think if we're going to see a dominant team Morehead Little Rock USI and Tennessee State are the most likely but none of them looks like a sure bet to do it.
Like this! Liked
RacerHistory
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by RacerHistory »

Pretty sure the OVC wants parity. I got that from the press statement they released way back when the exodus started. They are committed to a competitive environment accross all conference members.
Like this! Liked
smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 »

Reminds me of Kirksey ballpark where everybody got to bat even if they sucked lol.
Like this! Liked