RACERS vs SIU Edwardsville Game Thread

This forum is for the discussion of the men's basketball team.
ERacerHead
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Re: RACERS vs SIU Edwardsville Game Thread

Post by ERacerHead »

smidge34 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:40 am I was at the game and missed it and haven’t watched a replay but somebody said Juice fell/was pushed into his knee.
It happened right in front of us and I really can't explain it. There was a tie up of legs with Juice (I think) and his leg was twisted but honestly it didn't look bad. Nothing like a few of the hard fouls where I was worried that the player wouldn't get up. Looks are deceptive though since it doesn't take a lot of torque or force to seriously damage a knee joint. Am cautiously optimistic to hear a good report.
Like this! Liked
msuowns
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by msuowns »

They use cadaver’s successfully in knee reconstructions now. I’m looking into one from high school football injury in fall of 1978.
Like this! Liked
"Home, home again I like to be here when I can. When I come home cold and tired, it's good to warm my bones by the fire".
jhughes42071
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by jhughes42071 »

Wait so the cadaver is from a high school injury in 1978 or your knee problem is?
Like this! Liked
smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 »

Like this! Liked
msuowns
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by msuowns »

jhughes42071 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:55 am Wait so the cadaver is from a high school injury in 1978 or your knee problem is?
They werent doing ACL knee surgeries around here in 1978, so you think they were possibly using cadaver's for knee reconstructions in 1978? Why do people do that to themselves? with comments like that? :shrug:
Like this! Liked
"Home, home again I like to be here when I can. When I come home cold and tired, it's good to warm my bones by the fire".
smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 »

I knew that wouldn’t end well, owns has the sense of humor of an anvil lol.
Like this! Liked
evvracerfan
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by evvracerfan »

jhughes42071 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:55 am Wait so the cadaver is from a high school injury in 1978 or your knee problem is?
Golf clap - well played. :lol:
Like this! Liked
jhughes42071
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by jhughes42071 »

I need to know who has the cadaver cellar and what person discovered they aged like wine.
Like this! Liked
murraygrad05
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by murraygrad05 »

Dr. Yezerski did my ACL way back in ‘98 and I remember him saying he took a tendon from another part of my knee and the new ACL forms around that and would actually be stronger than the old one. It still hurts like a b**** to this day so I don’t know how. Haha...

He also laughed when the stories were coming out about athletes being back in competitive sports again in 4-6 months. I was told at the very least 9 months and anything less you have a very high risk of reinjury and most cases I see where people come back quick end up having the same problem within the year.
Like this! Liked
msuowns
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by msuowns »

Thanks for your intelligent, informative response murraygrad. Good to learn things from someone that has experience with this. Still scratching my head over the fool and his comments.
Like this! Liked
atlantaracer
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by atlantaracer »

Several years ago, at beyond age 50, I had ACL reconstruction due to a non contact basketball injury (why I was still playing competitive basketball at 50 is a question of sanity).

I elected to use a cadaver, but the surgeon said he could get a tendon from another part of my body. He said that a cadaver was usually stronger and it meant I only had one place to heal. I had the surgery in February, and could fully function in June-although I hung up the bb shoes.

No pain to this day. I think 6 months is reasonable, and would expect, with good pt and some luck, a next season return is possible. But returning to the intensity of D-1 basketball won’t be easy.

By the way, I asked my doc for a replacement ACL that could make me dunk. He said the only thing I would be dunking after surgery is a donut. So I took his advice.
Like this! Liked
runningracer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by runningracer »

Any news on the injury, or just speculation?
They are right on the six to nine months, but depends on amount of injury, and rehab. I expect if it is ACL, then six months would require a deal of caution, as a man with his size would be applying a greater deal of stress, than someone smaller. As stated, with proper rehab, it will be stronger than before. There are programs that can be used to strengthen the area around the ligament that are helpful in preventing this injury. You can never know what type of freak injury will happen on a basketball court though.
Like this! Liked
msuowns
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by msuowns »

atlantaracer wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:13 pm Several years ago, at beyond age 50, I had ACL reconstruction due to a non contact basketball injury (why I was still playing competitive basketball at 50 is a question of sanity).

I elected to use a cadaver, but the surgeon said he could get a tendon from another part of my body. He said that a cadaver was usually stronger and it meant I only had one place to heal. I had the surgery in February, and could fully function in June-although I hung up the bb shoes.

No pain to this day. I think 6 months is reasonable, and would expect, with good pt and some luck, a next season return is possible. But returning to the intensity of D-1 basketball won’t be easy.

By the way, I asked my doc for a replacement ACL that could make me dunk. He said the only thing I would be dunking after surgery is a donut. So I took his advice.
Sounds like u had success with surgery, good luck with it.
Like this! Liked
Explore Kentucky Lake