If you are trying to register an account please use a valid email address. You may need to check your Junk/Spam/Social folder for the activation email.

Morant weaknesses

This forum is for the discussion of the men's basketball team.
Dan T
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Morant weaknesses

Post by Dan T » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:13 am

Stumbled onto this site which examines weaknesses for NBA prospects. Ja is the 3rd one listed. https://bleacherreport.com/articles/281 ... ion#slide3
Like this! Liked

JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Re: Morant weaknesses

Post by JoeD » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:22 am

This is where NBA guys look at age. No prospect is without a weakness but if you get a guy young, they can still develop. Look at Williamson’s weakness. He will go to the NBA a 6’7” athlete who can’t shoot. Is he a sf with no jumper? Is he an undersized of with no jumper? Is he a REALLY undersized center?
The question becomes, can he be successful without improving his shot. The answer is maybe. But without an outside shot, you just defend him with a bigger guy.

As for Morant, his game is different. He is an elite passer with explosive first step and athleticism. His size is good. He is a student of the game which should translate to the next level, and his outside shot isn’t a key aspect of his scoring. That said, he is improving his outside shot but if Rajon Rondo has shown its that you can be an elite NBA PG without a reliable jumper.
Like this! Liked
Im old enough to remember when being "politically correct" was understood to mean "not being a complete, racist, xenophobic a-hole". Good times...

atlantaracer
TRN Benchwarmer
TRN Benchwarmer

Post by atlantaracer » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:50 am

I think he should stay another year to improve these weaknesses. 😃

(Before you jump on me, I am just kidding. While it might benefit him as a player to stay and develop (and benefit us as Racer fans), he isn’t going to improve his draft position.)
Like this! Liked

02Racer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by 02Racer » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:48 pm

They forgot to list his most obvious weakness; kryptonite.
Like this! Liked

racerfrombirth
TRN Benchwarmer
TRN Benchwarmer

Post by racerfrombirth » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:51 pm

Let me be the first to say that I'm not sold on Williamson as a "can't miss" NBA superstar...his size would be a major worry for me if I was trying to figure out where to play him. And as the #1 pick overall, you don't want to have to worry about where he fits into a team if you take a guy #1 overall.

We are kidding ourselves if we don't think that Ja's shooting is his biggest weakness at the next level. While I am perfectly aware of his great finishing ability at the rim, which is what separates him from Canaan, Payne, and Stark in the past, he definitely has to improve his jump shooting. The NBA is full of the best athletes in the world. I know Ja can finish pretty easily against the OVC big men, but Nick Mayo stuffed him at the rim a few times, and with all due respect to Mayo, he's not an NBA center.

Ja's two biggest areas of improvement need to be his jump shooting and his development of a floater that he can shoot over big men at the next level. That was one thing that Cam had down to an art before he left MSU. Cam was also a streaky outside shooter, but he was much more consistent than Ja is currently. That jump shot is going to be what makes or breaks Cam's career, because if you can't shoot at the NBA-level you won't last very long.

All the elite, top PGs in the NBA today are big-time scorers that can shoot it from outside. You will be hard-pressed to find a legit NBA PG that doesn't shoot it well. And there is no way in hell I'm considering Rajon Rondo as an elite PG...he never averaged over 14.0 ppg in his career and a majority of his best years were when he was the 4th option on team with 3 HOFers.

I firmly believe that Ja can be a star in the NBA! His athletic ability is far beyond anything I've ever seen at MSU and I think that is his biggest strength, along with his great passing vision. But he will need to improve the shooting if he wants to reach his full potential and justify a top-3 pick in the draft.

And hey...Go Racers.
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:52 pm

Like I told somebody else, what we think is worth little more than message board fodder but that is why we are here.
Like this! Liked

racerfrombirth
TRN Benchwarmer
TRN Benchwarmer

Post by racerfrombirth » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:04 pm

smidge34 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:52 pm
Like I told somebody else, what we think is worth little more than message board fodder but that is why we are here.
Absolutely agree. I think a lot of the decision on who goes where in this draft will come down to a team's needs and their thoughts on whether their top choice can have a "star" presence they can build around. I'd love to see Ja go #1, but I'd much rather see him go lower and to a place where he could be successful quickly, as opposed to going higher into a terrible franchise that will struggle constantly.

I'm excited about the rest of the season because I think Ja knows the "weaknesses" that scouts see in his game and he is constantly working on trying to improve in those areas. I think we are in for a treat the rest of the year.
Like this! Liked

wkeown
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by wkeown » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:40 pm

I think the notation of his weaknesses are fair. I think we have observed them all at one time or another. The main thing I would consider over all those weaknesses are:

1. How many times was he the best player on the court? {Every Time}
2. Is he coachable? {Apparently...geez...he is just a sophomore and already one of the top 10 players in the country}
3. Is he able to get bigger and stronger than he is now? {Definitely}
4. Is he afraid of contact {I wish he was...}

Not a single one of those weaknesses they listed are above Ja to overcome. The sky is the limit and the scouts know it.
Like this! Liked

speck
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by speck » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:49 pm

I guess I'm the only person in the world that thinks he might be back next year even though it looks slimmer ever day.
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:27 pm

He’s not coming back. 100% guaranteed, zero chance.
Like this! Liked

murraygrad05
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by murraygrad05 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:59 pm

I've seen a lot of places comparing his skills to Trae Young last year given his high turnover rate and such. And it all worked out pretty well for him I'd say.

95% of our offense goes through Ja so yea there will be more turnovers. I'd probably guess that over 75% or his turnovers were not bad passes, but were passes that went through someone's hands.
Like this! Liked

JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by JoeD » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:49 pm

The average starting PG in the NBA shoots 35.2% from 3. That is with Curry shooting over 44%.
Westbrook, the name thrown around as a comparison to Ja, shoots 23.5%.

Would a team love it if he shot 40% from 3? Of Course. But I dont think its going to scare many people off.

I have said it before, but Williamson reminds me of Bennett from UNLV.
Like this! Liked
Im old enough to remember when being "politically correct" was understood to mean "not being a complete, racist, xenophobic a-hole". Good times...

Blue N Gold
TRN Benchwarmer
TRN Benchwarmer

Post by Blue N Gold » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:47 pm

speck wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:49 pm
I guess I'm the only person in the world that thinks he might be back next year even though it looks slimmer ever day.
Yes, you are the only person that thinks that.
Like this! Liked

msuowns
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by msuowns » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:47 pm

He does have a double double at halftime. 7 assists from breaking one game record
Like this! Liked
"Home, home again I like to be here when I can. When I come home cold and tired, it's good to warm my bones by the fire".

walleye14
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by walleye14 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:48 pm

One weakness he doesn't have is putting dudes on a poster. Oh and having 17 assists.
Like this! Liked
Home of 39 OVC Championships
15 NCAA Appereances
28 Consecutive Winning Seasons
ESPN Top 30 Basketball Program

THIS IS RACER BASKETBALL

RacerPreacher
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by RacerPreacher » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:51 pm

walleye14 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:48 pm
One weakness he doesn't have is putting dudes on a poster. Oh and having 17 assists.
18 assists
Like this! Liked
“I hate to lose more than I love to win.”

runner67
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by runner67 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:51 pm

Blue N Gold wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:47 pm
speck wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:49 pm
Yes, you are the only person that thinks that.
:lol:
Like this! Liked

02Racer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by 02Racer » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:17 pm

walleye14 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:48 pm
That was a 6-8" forward he just hurdled.
Like this! Liked

MarshallRacer
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by MarshallRacer » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:55 am

Like this! Liked
Enjoy every day because things change fast - Billy Kennedy October 2011

NKYRacer
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by NKYRacer » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:57 pm

Morant's 2 year Career Projections:
Theoretical Morant.PNG
Points would put him 4th best among 2 year players, rebounds 7th, and assists would be tops overall.

Does he need to stay? I think he will have proven his point.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Like this! Liked

Explore Kentucky Lake