If you are trying to register an account please use a valid email address. You may need to check your Junk/Spam/Social folder for the activation email.

RACERS vs West Virginia NCAA Tournament Game Thread

This forum is for the discussion of the men's basketball team.

Moderator: syllable

wallaceracer
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Re: RACERS vs West Virginia NCAA Tournament Game Thread

Post by wallaceracer » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:29 am

Racer2112 wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:17 am
bjhracer wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:27 pm
Dan T wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:38 pm

I would make a good bet that WV's shot blocker will not be assigned to guard Miller. Why would Huggins do that?
So you would put West Virginia's shot blocker on Sanchious?????? Why?
Let's him stay near/in the paint and come over for weak side blocks or play help with our 2-man game up top since they'll know Brion isn't a huge scoring threat.

If they opt for this strategy then Jalen may be our X-factor. I think he would be our best option for cleaning up offensive rebound chances.
Which Jalen? Pre Martin or Post Martin? They're two different players.
Like this! Liked

Racer2112
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by Racer2112 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:42 am

wallaceracer wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:29 am
Racer2112 wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:17 am
bjhracer wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:27 pm

So you would put West Virginia's shot blocker on Sanchious?????? Why?
Let's him stay near/in the paint and come over for weak side blocks or play help with our 2-man game up top since they'll know Brion isn't a huge scoring threat.

If they opt for this strategy then Jalen may be our X-factor. I think he would be our best option for cleaning up offensive rebound chances.
Which Jalen? Pre Martin or Post Martin? They're two different players.
Agreed. I should have said Jalen has the potential to be our X-factor. What has happened to him? It's like he's taken 5 steps back since Martin and it's all mental.
Like this! Liked

basher
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by basher » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:57 am

msuowns wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:00 am

I don't watch uk games, but I'm thinking the cats don't have strong, ball handling guards and they handled the press at wv and won
I think you're correct. The key in most of WVU's losses were that they were only able to get <5 steals. If we protect the ball, we can win.
Like this! Liked

bjhracer
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by bjhracer » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:20 am

SwedeDRC wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:58 am
Curious how the scribe in Lexington predicts our upsetting WVA...

John Fienstein, dean of all sports as we know, didnt mention us at all in his article on the tourney this morning..He says WVA will go on to play Villanova and give them a fight since they have the best defensive guard in the country...maybe the world! I bet he secretly counsels and gives tips to the selection committee too.

In fairness he did mention Syracuse will get an invite if there is any conceivable way..implying even if there isnt they may get in..Well he got one thing right..As in life, there are the haves and the have nots. It just depends..

Go Racers!
If I was Huggins is put the defensive player of the year on Morant and pressure the ball. The freshman will be more prone to turnovers and putting him on stark may leave a driving lane open for morant, as well as quite a few kickback open threes. Its funny that I've read they have the best defensive guard but they lack in perimeter 3pt defense. Stories I've read says they tend to let shooters have open looks.
Like this! Liked
"I hate losing, I hate losing more than I love winning." B.J. Jenkins

racerlover
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by racerlover » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:32 pm

Coming out of retirement for this. Was perusing their fan forum. Most are giving us a 0.0 chance of winning. Hell, they are looking multiple games ahead. I doubt their team will overlook us, but who knows. According to the fans, we might as well forfeit now. I think this is a great match up for us. And we all know a 12/5 is always an upset in the making. And our history proves that we aren't just a laughing stock in the NCAA tournament. Hopefully they'll realize that soon.
Like this! Liked

jayinbama
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by jayinbama » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:47 pm

bjhracer wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:19 pm
I didn't want Arizona or Gonzaga. I can deal with West Virginia. Hope McMahon is up to the challenge because I know Huggins will bring it. Good thing is Prohm beat them this season so I would be on the phone getting a detailed scouting report.
I bet they talked last night
Like this! Liked

jayinbama
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by jayinbama » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:51 pm

Fun WVU think Stark is a marginal player at best who only benefits from playing in a weak conference. smh.

WVU front court depth concerns me but they also have to guard a big guy who can shoot 3s in Miller. I am trying to stay realist but do think Racers have a shot to win. Either way just going to enjoy the experience.
Like this! Liked

75Fan
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by 75Fan » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:43 pm

75Fan wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:22 pm

Here's the adjusted player ratings going into this game…..		

JONATHAN STARK		153.9639

Jevon Carter		140.5239

JA MORANT		118.5188
TERRELL MILLER, JR.	118.3697

Sagaba Konate		 97.1432
Daxter Miles, Jr.	 92.7513

SHAQ BUCHANAN		 74.2423
Lamont West		 72.1926

James Bolden	 	 68.2741
Esa Ahmad		 68.2062

BYRON HAWKINS		 53.5357
Wesley Hariis		 52.1870
JALEN DUPREE		 51.1019

Teddy Allen		 42.5730
ANTHONY SMITH		 42.0708

BRION SANCHIOUS		 25.1878
Chase Harler		 23.7087

D'Angelo Hunter		 18.3988
Maciei Bender		 15.9663
Logan Routt		 15.8458
BRION WHITLEY		 14.3908
ZACH HOPEWELL		 10.2475

JACHAI TAYLOR		  8.4635
DEVIN GILMORE		  8.1471

We need Dupree and Hawkins in the 70's and Shaq in the 90's. Anything above 40 for Sanchious.

I am soooo stoked about this match-up!
Like this! Liked

6 ETHICS OF LIFE

1. BEFORE YOU PRAY..........BELIEVE.
2. BEFORE YOU SPEAK.......LISTEN.
3. BEFORE YOU SPEND......EARN.
4. BEFORE YOU WRITE.......THINK.
5. BEFORE YOU QUIT...........TRY.
6. BEFORE YOU DIE.............LIVE.

ERacerHead
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by ERacerHead » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:54 pm

These threads are so much fun. Who knows what will happen, but I'm set to be there Friday AND Sunday to support the Racers. I am looking ahead though, and think the match-up with Cronin could be tough for us :lol:
Like this! Liked

KeenanCummings
TRN First Timer
TRN First Timer

Post by KeenanCummings » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:04 pm

Hello,

I cover West Virginia for WVSports.com the Rivals.com affiliate. If you all have any questions feel free to ask and I definitely want to extend an invitation over to www.wvsports.com to interact with some of the Mountaineers fans as well.
Like this! Liked

WVURivals
TRN First Timer
TRN First Timer

Post by WVURivals » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:26 pm

racerlover wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:32 pm
Coming out of retirement for this. Was perusing their fan forum. Most are giving us a 0.0 chance of winning. Hell, they are looking multiple games ahead. I doubt their team will overlook us, but who knows. According to the fans, we might as well forfeit now. I think this is a great match up for us. And we all know a 12/5 is always an upset in the making. And our history proves that we aren't just a laughing stock in the NCAA tournament. Hopefully they'll realize that soon.
I think you guys are looking at some of the free boards that are not well monitored and littered with WVU fans that are either far too hard on their own team or think the Mountaineers should win every game. I own the largest WVU site and I can assure you our premium members are well aware of the Murray State program and haven't put this one down as a win. Those of us that follow things closely know you guys have talent and a very good coach.

It should be a great game! If you all have any questions about the Mountaineers let us know.

Also we did a piece with Will Aubrey you may want to check out: https://westvirginia.rivals.com/news/be ... ay-state-1
Like this! Liked
WVU's oldest and more comprehensive site: https://westvirginia.rivals.com

dbstepside
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by dbstepside » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:21 pm

Good to see all the WVU fans come to the board and join in discussions. We all have fans of our programs who get way too excited or cocky in some cases. I like to see both fan bases have a good fan relationship. You guys all know what I mean. Some trash talking but nothing over the lines. It’s good for both teams fans. I hope we win but if not at least there’s some good guys and it looks like even Ol Huggy Bear is giving our players some respect. Congrats on a good season and if you beat us good luck with the rest of the tournament.
Like this! Liked

WVURivals
TRN First Timer
TRN First Timer

Post by WVURivals » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:31 pm

dbstepside wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:21 pm
Good to see all the WVU fans come to the board and join in discussions. We all have fans of our programs who get way too excited or cocky in some cases. I like to see both fan bases have a good fan relationship. You guys all know what I mean. Some trash talking but nothing over the lines. It’s good for both teams fans. I hope we win but if not at least there’s some good guys and it looks like even Ol Huggy Bear is giving our players some respect. Congrats on a good season and if you beat us good luck with the rest of the tournament.
Yeah Huggins knows very well that isn't a team they can overlook. A quote from him on the upcoming game.

Here's his full interview if you care to watch.

https://youtu.be/DDQWNGATlcE
Like this! Liked
WVU's oldest and more comprehensive site: https://westvirginia.rivals.com

smidge34
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by smidge34 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:32 pm

I don’t really care about a positive relationship with Pillpopper fans but yeah, wassup WVA fans.
Like this! Liked

dbstepside
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by dbstepside » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:50 pm

I’ll give you that one Smidge. But there might be a few of them that are ok. Or not.
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by smidge34 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:04 pm

They’re talking Top-10 next year on their Scout board lmao. Love to hate em as Cowboy used to say.
Like this! Liked

msuowns
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by msuowns » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:30 pm

smidge34 wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:04 pm
They’re talking Top-10 next year on their Scout board lmao. Love to hate em as Cowboy used to say.
Well, after 500 showed up for their tourney championship game and the ovc outseeded the cusa. They end up having to face the truth every year. Plus Ole JJ never made it to the big dance.
Like this! Liked
"Home, home again I like to be here when I can. When I come home cold and tired, it's good to warm my bones by the fire".

runningracer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by runningracer » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:11 am

One thing to remember. No matter how much they think of their teams, we are in the tournament. Western Kentucky, and Louisville are both in the NIT, and Belmont is not playing anywhere that I know of. That means that of those three, none are in the only tournament that matters.
:goracers:
Like this! Liked

Hobo
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by Hobo » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:42 am

runningracer wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:11 am
One thing to remember. No matter how much they think of their teams, we are in the tournament. Western Kentucky, and Louisville are both in the NIT, and Belmont is not playing anywhere that I know of. That means that of those three, none are in the only tournament that matters.
Belmont received CIT/CBI bids but they turned them down.
Like this! Liked
"Kirksey is the center of the civilized world Slick. Kirksey girlz rule!" - Smidge34

SwedeDRC
TRN Benchwarmer
TRN Benchwarmer

Post by SwedeDRC » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:16 am

Hobo wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:42 am
runningracer wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:11 am
Belmont received CIT/CBI bids but they turned them down.
Im thinking they failed to get an offer from the NIT because of the poor fan support. No one there cares much and the NIT certainly wants games that draw interest. They deserve what they got. :lol:
Like this! Liked

Explore Kentucky Lake