2020 Football - Split Season?

This forum is for the discussion of Racer Football.
OSRacer
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

2020 Football - Split Season?

Post by OSRacer »

Like this! Liked
Ghughes
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Re: 2020 Football - Split Season?

Post by Ghughes »

This is disappointing, but not unexpected. Lots of questions. The young men that have been sweating in this August heat in training camp, what leniency will the NCAA and the OVC allow as far as practice time? Surely they will be allowed some type of practice time during the fall to stay in shape and keep their skills in tune during the hiatus. I guess eligilibility won't be an issue if the spring season takes place. But if not, what then? I assume the conference has been working on these and other questions with the NCAA and member schools. I hope.
Like this! Liked
fmftballmgr
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by fmftballmgr »

According to Neal Bradly our game with Georgia State has been canceled so that is all of our regular schedule out if conference games.
At least this gave the team a little mini camp that was took away with no spring ball and gives the new coach a chance to get a short look at the players
Like this! Liked
HoptownRacer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by HoptownRacer »

Hope for a mild winter so the team can get some work in... :pray:
Like this! Liked
msuowns
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by msuowns »

Georgia St game paid 350k. 950k we lost on both games.
Like this! Liked
"Home, home again I like to be here when I can. When I come home cold and tired, it's good to warm my bones by the fire".
smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 »

I love the way the Colonels flipped the OVC office the bird lol. I also love this scheduling:

https://www.richmondregister.com/sports ... 91FKOUpR8A
Like this! Liked
runningracer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by runningracer »

Is this to get a toe in the water, as they have some in their fan base who have been pushing for them to move to the Bowl division. Three BCS teams, and two with Central Arkansas, along with The Citadel will make for a very challenging schedule.
Like this! Liked
msuowns
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by msuowns »

wonder how lil the 3 bcs payouts will be? like what they are doing tho
Like this! Liked
"Home, home again I like to be here when I can. When I come home cold and tired, it's good to warm my bones by the fire".
SwedeDRC
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by SwedeDRC »

Ya think Beth will kick em out?....lol She should actually but that aint gonna happen. EKU, dispite their high opinion of themselves, havent won the ovc in years. Dont think this year will turn out all that well for them record wise but we will see.

Sure sends a nice message to Beth on what regard they hold the conference though...
Way to go EKU!
No wait, now they can play the ovc schedule in the spring ! Wow :clap:
Like this! Liked
smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 »

More on EKU:

The back story of how EKU football ended up playing as an independent in 2020
BY MARK STORY

AUGUST 27, 2020 05:56 PM

The August winner for “most interesting college football program in Kentucky” is a runaway:

Eastern Kentucky has been on a fascinating ride.

Earlier this month, the powers that be in the Ohio Valley Conference decreed there would be no league football games in 2020 due to the coronavirus.

EKU said thank you, but no thank you.

Rather, in a scrambling bit of scheduling improvisation, new Eastern Athletics Director Matt Roan put together an eight-game fall slate that includes three road games at FBS schools.

Playing this fall as an independent, Eastern’s schedule has trips to Marshall (Sept. 5), West Virginia (Sept. 12), The Citadel (Sept. 26), Troy (Oct. 17) and Central Arkansas (Oct. 31) plus home games with Central Arkansas (Oct. 10), Stephen F. Austin (Nov. 7) and Western Carolina (Nov. 21).

Of those teams, only West Virginia and Western Carolina were on Eastern’s original 2020 football schedule.

A founding member of the OVC, Eastern decided to go rogue on that league’s aspirations for spring football for three main reasons, Roan said.

First was concern about the health impact on players of playing back-to-back football seasons in one year.

“Even if you play only seven (games in the spring) and then you play 11 ‘next year,’ that’s 18 football games in a calendar year,” Roan said. “For us, there were some serious safety concerns.”

The second problem was the weather.

“Where we are located, spring football is really winter football, at least the front part of the schedule,” Roan said. “Well, we lack an indoor facility. We lack a lot of equipment and supplies to be able to effectively support our football student-athletes with playing games in January and February.”

The third issue was worry it would stretch Eastern’s athletics staff and facilities too thin.

“When you talk about the size of our staff, the infrastructure we have from a facilities standpoint, it’s great but it is not designed — from our training room to out sports performance center — to effectively provide services for all 16 of our teams in one semester,” Roan said.

Moving forward, one wonders if Eastern going its own way with its 2020 football schedule will weaken the bonds of affection between the university and the OVC.

“I’m not naive enough to say that there is probably not some frustration (within the league),” Roan said. “I think, peer to peer, as I have talked with some of the OVC ADs, I think they kind of appreciate that what we did wasn’t a decision done in haste.”

Eastern Kentucky Athletics Director Matt Roan acknowledges there may be some hard feelings within the Ohio Valley Conference over the Colonels opting out of a possible spring football season to play this fall against an independent schedule. “I’m not naive enough to say that there is probably not some frustration (on the part of the league),” Roan says. Chris Radcliffe
For an EKU program with a new head coach in Walt Wells and a relatively young roster, the improvised schedule looks daunting.

Start with the FBS road games at Marshall, West Virginia and Troy. Roan said EKU will reap roughly $1 million in combined guarantee money from those three contests.

Then add home-and-away meetings with Central Arkansas, a top 10-caliber FCS team.

“You could argue that it is ‘over-scheduled,’” Roan said. “But, for us, it is a great schedule full of really unique and challenging (contests) and, really, kind of unique stories.”

Though athletics budgets are tight across college sports due to dislocations caused by the coronavirus, Roan said Eastern did not go shopping for football guarantee money.

“I’ve had ACC schools; I’ve had American Athletic Conference schools; I’ve had Conference USA schools and additional Sun Belt schools offer us (pay games),” Roan said. “If we wanted to chase money, we certainly could have.”

EKU did inquire about playing its ancient rival, Western Kentucky, Roan said. “We talked very early in the process,” the Eastern AD said. “... Dates were difficult to line up.”

Early this month, Eastern kicker Landon White quit the Colonels team after questioning whether the new EKU coaching staff was committed to keeping Colonels players safe by following COVID-19 protocols.

Roan said an investigation conducted by EKU’s human resources division “found there were occasional mistakes that we made with, maybe, masks not being worn while trying to instruct a student-athlete on the field. But there wasn’t anything that was egregious, any willful misconduct.”

Last week, Roan says, EKU “tested 187 student-athletes (for the coronavirus) with two positives. So a 1.1 percent positivity rate right now. We are encouraged by that.”

Since it is not scheduled to play at Roy Kidd Stadium until Oct. 10, Eastern has time before it has to firm up its plans on what number of fans it will allow to attend games.

“If we were playing tomorrow, it would be 25 percent fans (in the stadium),” Roan said. “That would put us at capacity of just shy of 4,500.”

Moving forward, it sounds like the August winner for most interesting college football program in Kentucky may spice up the start of September with a further schedule augmentation.

“We’re still having some conversations with a few different schools,” Matt Roan said.

https://www.kentucky.com/sports/spt-col ... rylink=cpy
Like this! Liked
SwedeDRC
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by SwedeDRC »

Saw part of the peay game Saturday night..They didnt look too bad..Checked their schedule and see 3 games now but no mention of postponing anything else. Does anyone know are they planning on playing the OVC spring funfest?
Like this! Liked
msuowns
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by msuowns »

Not sure which is worst for MSU football, covid 19 or Sherman Neal? :shrug: He will carry over into all sports too, especially hoops.
Like this! Liked
02Racer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by 02Racer »

msuowns wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:11 pm Not sure which is worst for MSU football, covid 19 or Sherman Neal? :shrug: He will carry over into all sports too, especially hoops.
Yeah, Hood has had a rough go of trying to rebuild the program with Covid restrictions on spring practice and recruiting, Sherman Neal and a canceled season.
Like this! Liked
msuowns
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by msuowns »

EKU down 38-0 at half.
Like this! Liked
dropkick
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by dropkick »

I just saw where the tentative spring football schedule will be 7 games beginning February 21st with an open date the week of the OVC basketball tourney. This was put out by UTM, but I would assume the Racers schedule would be the same dates
Like this! Liked
Explore Kentucky Lake