Football Coaching Search

This forum is for the discussion of Racer Football.
jayinbama
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Re: Football Coaching Search

Post by jayinbama »

fmftballmgr wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:46 am Has anybody heard anything official yet
AD is keeping this hush hush, I not heard anything.
Like this! Liked
PTracer2
TRN First Timer
TRN First Timer

Post by PTracer2 »

Dean Hood. :goracers:
Like this! Liked
A_1985_grad
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by A_1985_grad »

A source also says it's Hood. Great hire if true.

From FootballScoop:

"Dean Hood will be the next head coach at Murray State, sources told FootballScoop on Tuesday.

"Hood is currently the special teams coordinator and defensive backs coach at Kentucky.

"Hood is best known in the Bluegrass State for his 8-year run as the head coach at Eastern Kentucky, where he went 55-38 with two Ohio Valley Conference championships and three trips to the FCS playoffs. He also spent five seasons as an assistant at EKU in the mid-90s."
Like this! Liked
BubbaRacer
TRN Recruit
TRN Recruit

Post by BubbaRacer »

Habemus Coachem. Dean Hood leaving Asst. Coach position at UK.
Story: https://footballscoop.com/news/sources- ... ray-state/
Like this! Liked
dropkick
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by dropkick »

I read he has done wonders for UK punt team.
Like this! Liked
breds20
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by breds20 »

So we increased the coaches Salary. We increased the asst salary pool. We increased the recruiting budget. Why wasn’t this done for the previous coach and staff to give them a chance? Better win now.
Why did he leave EKU?
Like this! Liked
fmftballmgr
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by fmftballmgr »

the only staff I see staying on is Johnson our DC, who was also on his staff at EKU
Like this! Liked
Westtennracer
TRN Signee
TRN Signee

Post by Westtennracer »

Walter Vaughn and Carson hunter will also be asked to stay
Like this! Liked
dropkick
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by dropkick »

What happened with Charlie Wiles?
Like this! Liked
Efan
TRN Benchwarmer
TRN Benchwarmer

Post by Efan »

breds20 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:03 am So we increased the coaches Salary. We increased the asst salary pool. We increased the recruiting budget. Why wasn’t this done for the previous coach and staff to give them a chance? Better win now.
Why did he leave EKU?
He was fired because as soon as Coach Hope's kids started graduating Deans wins started to decline. Official statement was, We want to take the program in a different direction" Dean is a fine human being, good man, very strong in his faith. When here did not even allow foul language on
the field or in the locker room.
Just my opinion, his problems here fell in two categories. 1. This was Deans first HC gig and he struggled with being loyal to his staff and pulling the trigger when necessary. 2. His recruiting... He looked at EKU as a" small college" and recruited talent as such. If you look at his recruits his last few years you see that the majority of his kids he beat out places like Georgetown College, Ky State, Concord College and places like that. Sometimes other OVC school but never a Mack or Sun Belt or any FBS for that matter. If he has figured those things out ( and he probably has, he is a smart man, been around a while now) I think he will be one heck of a coach. Kids will play hard for him . He will work as hard at making them good men as he will making them good football players.
Like this! Liked
EKU A Matter of Pride
2 National Championships
4 National Championship games
20 Playoff Appearances
21 Conference Championships
HoptownRacer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by HoptownRacer »

I was on record saying I didn't want anyone off of that staff as our head coach but it seems all the Lexington media think this is a good hire so we'll see, I guess.

I feel like with the talent on our current roster we could have won 2-3 more games a year with better play calling and decision making in the close games so I think if Coach Hood is any upgrade at all in that area we're already in pretty good shape.
Like this! Liked
smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 »

Agreed Hoppy, I’ve got no desire to be pUKe-lite down here.
Like this! Liked
:goracers: 109
A_1985_grad
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by A_1985_grad »

I like this hire, it's better than I thought they would do, to be honest.

I don't believe Hood would have come here without some sort of commitment to enough finances to win, or at least be in position to win. Where that money suddenly came from is for someone else to answer, which is just as well.

And that's all we really need, is to go into each season at least in the conversation as an OVC championship contender. Maybe that means 6-8 wins a season, which would be fine compared to where we've been for the last several years. Just so we're competing on a somewhat level playing field and not near the bottom of football budgets in the league.
Like this! Liked
evvracerfan
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by evvracerfan »

HoptownRacer wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:23 pm I was on record saying I didn't want anyone off of that staff as our head coach but it seems all the Lexington media think this is a good hire so we'll see, I guess.

I feel like with the talent on our current roster we could have won 2-3 more games a year with better play calling and decision making in the close games so I think if Coach Hood is any upgrade at all in that area we're already in pretty good shape.
Spot on - no reason we shouldn't have won at least 2 or maybe 3 of the games vs SEMO, Tech, Jax State and EKU with better coaching. Those games were all very winnable this year. We should have been competing for the 3rd or 4th spot in OVC this year with the talent we had IMO.

I also said I didn't want someone from the UK staff - I was hoping for someone from a program with more sustained success even if it was at a lower level than the SEC. But our new coach has at least been a head coach before at this level and had success in this conference. I'm excited to see what he can do.
Like this! Liked
jayinbama
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by jayinbama »

breds20 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:03 am So we increased the coaches Salary. We increased the asst salary pool. We increased the recruiting budget. Why wasn’t this done for the previous coach and staff to give them a chance? Better win now.
Why did he leave EKU?
You need to ask Alan Ward that question.
Like this! Liked
jayinbama
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by jayinbama »

I know we have a lot of "anti UK" folks here but lets remember under Stoops is one of the most successful times for UK football, Hood made a big impact with the positions he coach. We got to trust the AD on this.
Like this! Liked
smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 »

I’m not anti-pUKe, I’m pro-Murray State. This has nothing to do with them.
Like this! Liked
HoptownRacer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by HoptownRacer »

As long as I've seen the last of the Chris Hatcher offense, I think I can warm up to this hire. :mrgreen:
Like this! Liked
smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 »

Like this! Liked
runningracer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by runningracer »

Eastern had very high expectations when he got the job. First time head coaching jobs can be hard. He has some talent, I expect some D1 transfers. He uses the run, and passing games well. I like this hire. The Sun may be rising on MSU football again. :thumbup:
Like this! Liked
Explore Kentucky Lake