Griffith-Wallace and Adebayo to transfer

This forum is for the discussion of the women's basketball team.
02Racer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Griffith-Wallace and Adebayo to transfer

Post by 02Racer » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:14 pm

Griffith-Wallace and Adebayo are both leaving the program.
Like this! Liked

jayinbama
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Re: Griffith-Wallace and Adebayo to transfer

Post by jayinbama » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:57 pm

02Racer wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:14 pm
Griffith-Wallace and Adebayo are both leaving the program.
Just killed next season for Murray.
Like this! Liked

runningracer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by runningracer » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:04 am

The Racers will be alright. Opens up two spots for new recruits, and returning players. Both are quality players, but will give opportunity to others who will be with the program longer.
Like this! Liked

02Racer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by 02Racer » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:18 am

I know there will always be transfers but I hate to see starters and high level contributors leaving.
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:01 pm

Something smells here.
Like this! Liked

msu
TRN Recruit
TRN Recruit

Post by msu » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:10 pm

smidge34 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:01 pm
Something smells here.
Yep. Some players haven't liked her abrasive style. She's lost players in the middle of the season and now that it's over the bloodletting has started.
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:16 pm

msu wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:10 pm
smidge34 wrote:
Something smells here.
Yep. Some players haven't liked her abrasive style. She's lost players in the middle of the season and now that it's over the bloodletting has started.
That’s not at all what I meant and first I’ve heard of it. All I’ve ever heard is praise from her players. If you can’t take a little coaching I’m sure she’s not for you.
Like this! Liked

msu
TRN Recruit
TRN Recruit

Post by msu » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:33 pm

smidge34 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:16 pm
msu wrote:
smidge34 wrote:
Something smells here.
That’s not at all what I meant and first I’ve heard of it. All I’ve ever heard is praise from her players. If you can’t take a little coaching I’m sure she’s not for you.
Well like it or not two of the best players transferred away (including a probable player of the year) with multiple quitting. Also I think her closeness with the Murray High kids may have bothered the other players--and I'm not just speculating or blowing hot air.
Like this! Liked

runningracer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by runningracer » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:17 pm

I am quite confident they both had coaches before. Being a grad transfer, I speculate that one went where she could further her academic career, and the other may have wanted more playing time, and thought it might be less next year. Whatever the reason, they made their decision, and I look forward to who we recruit to replace them. I have full confidence in our coach, and we will get better.
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:20 pm

I am quite confident they both had coaches before
Not sure who you were directing that at, hopefully msu but in case it was me then I’m cutting it off at the knees right now. My comment about coaching wasn’t directed at any specific person and to make it perfectly clear so there isn’t any mistake it wasn’t directed at either transferring player (I have ZERO idea if either is a model student athlete or totally uncoachable. None.) just an in general comment that I stand by. If you’re a whiny, entitled snowflake who can’t be coached then she likely ain’t the coach for you. I’d bet on that.
Like this! Liked

msu
TRN Recruit
TRN Recruit

Post by msu » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:37 pm

smidge34 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:20 pm
If you’re a whiny, entitled snowflake who can’t be coached then she likely ain’t the coach for you. I’d bet on that.

What do you think the chances are that Brianna Crane, Janika Griffith-Wallace, Evelyn Adebayo, DeAsia Outlaw, Paige Barrett (and possibly more) are ALL “whiny, entitled snowflakes”? It’s not normal for half a team that was on the up and up to just leave. This isn’t a Jalen Dupree situation where one player had a bad attitude. They were only losing one senior and with players like Turley and Adebayo returning really had a shot to compete for a championship next season. You can believe me or not, but there are problems at the top. Coach Turner is absolutely phenomenal at knowing the Xs and Os of basketball and what it takes to win, but there’s more to being a coach than that. You can’t only have good relationships with some of your players. Maybe half the team leaving and the poor season that will follow will be the wakeup she and the administration need.
Like this! Liked

02Racer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by 02Racer » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:48 pm

Abria Gulledge left the team last year before her senior season but is still graduating from MSU next month. I think that's at least five starter level players in a year.

That leaves Mack as the only senior, no juniors, about five sophomores and one red shirt freshman.
Like this! Liked

msu
TRN Recruit
TRN Recruit

Post by msu » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:58 pm

02Racer wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:48 pm
Abria Gulledge left the team last year before her senior season but is still graduating from MSU next month. I think that's at least five starter level players in a year.
You can add Taylor Reese to that list as well
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:35 pm

msu wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:37 pm
smidge34 wrote:
If you’re a whiny, entitled snowflake who can’t be coached then she likely ain’t the coach for you. I’d bet on that.

What do you think the chances are that Brianna Crane, Janika Griffith-Wallace, Evelyn Adebayo, DeAsia Outlaw, Paige Barrett (and possibly more) are ALL “whiny, entitled snowflakes”? It’s not normal for half a team that was on the up and up to just leave. This isn’t a Jalen Dupree situation where one player had a bad attitude. They were only losing one senior and with players like Turley and Adebayo returning really had a shot to compete for a championship next season. You can believe me or not, but there are problems at the top. Coach Turner is absolutely phenomenal at knowing the Xs and Os of basketball and what it takes to win, but there’s more to being a coach than that. You can’t only have good relationships with some of your players. Maybe half the team leaving and the poor season that will follow will be the wakeup she and the administration need.
Don’t quote me half ass man or work on your reading comprehension. I said in plain English in that same post:
....My comment about coaching wasn’t directed at any specific person and to make it perfectly clear so there isn’t any mistake it wasn’t directed at either transferring player
To make sure you’re perfectly clear this time, I have zero idea why anybody transferred or if any of them are coachable or model athletes and frankly, if you want to get right down to it, I don’t gaf either. I just made the comment that something smells and YOU drug me into slandering the coach and that pisses me off. Just leave me out of your posts from now on.
Like this! Liked

msu
TRN Recruit
TRN Recruit

Post by msu » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:03 pm

smidge34 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:35 pm
msu wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:37 pm
smidge34 wrote:

Don’t quote me half ass man or work on your reading comprehension. I said in plain English in that same post:
....My comment about coaching wasn’t directed at any specific person and to make it perfectly clear so there isn’t any mistake it wasn’t directed at either transferring player
To make sure you’re perfectly clear this time, I have zero idea why anybody transferred or if any of them are coachable or model athletes and frankly, if you want to get right down to it, I don’t gaf either. I just made the comment that something smells and YOU drug me into slandering the coach and that pisses me off. Just leave me out of your posts from now on.
I know you weren’t saying either player specifically was a snowflake or uncoachable. I was just saying that the chances that with the volume of players transferring or just quitting, it’s pretty unlikely that the problems are player-driven. Also again I’m not just speculating I am privy to things on the inside. I know Coach Turner is an institution in this community so questioning her at all causes pearl clutching and gasps. I’m not at all slandering her. She’s a winner and a competitor and no one wants to win more than her. She knows what it takes to win. But like I said, the job is more than knowing about basketball.

This goes for everyone, not just you, but blindly following her without question or critique just because she’s a well known and respected figure in town isn’t the smartest. The only significant players left on the roster are the three Murray High girls, and six significantly contributing players have transferred or quit since she took over, over half of them being girls she recruited. Reese, Gulledge last year and now Adebayo, Griffith-Wallace, Crane, and Outlaw.
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:15 pm

Oh me bless their hearts. :roll:
Like this! Liked

msu
TRN Recruit
TRN Recruit

Post by msu » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:28 pm

smidge34 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:15 pm
Oh me bless their hearts. :roll:
Haha, I love that clip of him. But no, that’s one thing I’m not at all questioning about her. I love her passion, I love when she’s fired up, I love when she shows her emotion. I know she cares. I love how she’s no-nonsense. Also, female coaches are always given less of a license to act that way then male coaches.

The issue isn’t at all with her fiery-ness or yelling, etc (although that was a major change from mellow Rob Cross). It’s more about not treating players equally that caused the exodus, from my understanding. I admit that can be tough when three players on the team you’ve already coached for 4-6 years. I genuinely wish her well, and I’m not calling for her head or anything. But some things need to be re-evaluated.
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:43 pm

msu wrote:
Some players haven't liked her abrasive style.
msu wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:28 pm
Haha, I love that clip of him. But no, that’s one thing I’m not at all questioning about her. I love her passion, I love when she’s fired up, I love when she shows her emotion. I know she cares. I love how she’s no-nonsense. Also, female coaches are always given less of a license to act that way then male coaches.

The issue isn’t at all with her fiery-ness or yelling, etc (although that was a major change from mellow Rob Cross). It’s more about not treating players equally that caused the exodus, from my understanding.
So which is it? Her “abrasive style” or her “not treating players equally”? I’m smelling an axe to grind. :shrug:
Like this! Liked

msu
TRN Recruit
TRN Recruit

Post by msu » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:54 pm

smidge34 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:43 pm
msu wrote:
Some players haven't liked her abrasive style.
msu wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:28 pm

The issue isn’t at all with her fiery-ness or yelling, etc (although that was a major change from mellow Rob Cross). It’s more about not treating players equally that caused the exodus, from my understanding.
So which is it? Her “abrasive style” or her “not treating players equally”? I’m smelling an axe to grind. :shrug:
Yes, i should’ve clarified more. Abrasive and passionate are two different things. Coach Turner is passionate on court. Off court though, being emotionally abrasive (more so to some player than others) is what I mean
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:05 pm

Like this! Liked

Explore Kentucky Lake