Attention: The message board will be migrating to a new server soon and your saved login information will not work. Please make sure that you know your password and have access to the email address associated with the account so you can reset the password if needed.

Griffith-Wallace and Adebayo to transfer

This forum is for the discussion of the women's basketball team.
speck
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Re: Griffith-Wallace and Adebayo to transfer

Post by speck » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:04 pm

My question would be, how you know all this.
Like this! Liked

msu
TRN Recruit
TRN Recruit

Post by msu » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:48 pm

All I know is that if the men’s team had turnover this high most of you would be up in arms demanding answers.
Like this! Liked

75Fan
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by 75Fan » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:06 pm

Losing Adebayo is like losing Cuthbert Victor.
Like this! Liked

6 ETHICS OF LIFE

1. BEFORE YOU PRAY..........BELIEVE.
2. BEFORE YOU SPEAK.......LISTEN.
3. BEFORE YOU SPEND......EARN.
4. BEFORE YOU WRITE.......THINK.
5. BEFORE YOU QUIT...........TRY.
6. BEFORE YOU DIE.............LIVE.

breds20
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by breds20 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:27 pm

let see, 2nd school for Adebayo to transfer from. 🙄
Like this! Liked

batts
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by batts » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:56 pm

I might be totally wrong about this but at least in my eyes it seems like the people who were here and knew “the way we used to do it “ are the ones who have a problem and are leaving and quitting. As for the people that the coach has brought in it seems as if there is no problem with anything. Sometimes even though it’s sad to say, it might be the best thing in the world to get rid of those who knew how it was so you can focus on how it will be.
Like this! Liked

msu
TRN Recruit
TRN Recruit

Post by msu » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:19 am

batts wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:56 pm
I might be totally wrong about this but at least in my eyes it seems like the people who were here and knew “the way we used to do it “ are the ones who have a problem and are leaving and quitting. As for the people that the coach has brought in it seems as if there is no problem with anything. Sometimes even though it’s sad to say, it might be the best thing in the world to get rid of those who knew how it was so you can focus on how it will be.
No. Griffith-Wallace, Adebayo, Crane, and Outlaw were all Turner recruits. They all had absolutely no experience with how the program was before Turner.

Gulledge and Reese were Cross recruits, so them quitting seemed less out of the ordinary. As for Barrett, her first year was also Turner's first but I think she was recruited by Cross.
Like this! Liked

runningracer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by runningracer » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:32 am

Sometimes we need to be reminded of things. It is not like we won the conference this year We were 13-17, and 9-9 in conference. Not exactly something to look upon as a championship season.
Coaches tend to favor players who buy into their system, and so if a player is playing defense, and hustling, they may tend to be perceived as being favored, even if they are not.
The two players mentioned at the head of this topic really couldn't complain about playing time. I suspect that they left for personal reasons, which in women's collegiate basketball, at this level, happens pretty regularly. Sometimes, wanting to move closer to home, sometimes grades, sometimes just a change of scenery, or other likes or dislikes.
A good graduate program may mean more than a successful basketball season. Especially if it is at a school where the tuition is expensive. We will have to wait and see where they transfer to, unless they make a statement as to why they transferred. So far, these two ladies have not made a statement, so saying it had to do with the coach has no more validity than any other statement that has been made by anyone. We just don't know.
What I do know is this, we finally have a coach who knows the game of basketball, how to coach it, and how to develop players. If you don't like the coach, think back to two years ago when there was a lot less defense being played, and teamwork was not what we saw on the court. I thouroughly enjoyed this season, because even when we lost, the team still pushed itself. Sometimes it takes time to build a program that has been down, but I have faith that we will continue to get players who want to win, and that will lead to better teams. Depending on who we bring in, next year may prove to be difficult, but after waiting for about five years to see quality basketball from the women's program, I have every confidence that we are on the right track.
This coach may be a little tough, but not any tougher than other coaches. I have noticed that players who have been with her for an extended period of time, have nothing but good things to say about her, because they know she cares about them as more than just basketball players.
That goes back to an earlier statement that I made about that the players probably had coaches before. That meaning, I don't think Coach Turner was the problem, as she is not different from most coaches, in that she has expectations of her players, and works to make them better. It makes me wonder when people who don't post regularly, push a negative post and continue to post negative toward a coach. That is their right, as this is a message board for all fans, but it leaves me wondering...…………………
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:46 am

Great post runningracer and classy as usual. If you’re gonna come outta left field hurling insults and wild accusations you shouldn’t hide behind a screen, you should grow a set and reveal who you are or stfu. I still smell something here just like I did in my initial post and it smells a lot like a personal agenda to besmirch someone. It’s almost like somebody wasn’t happy that Rechelle got the job to begin with. Hmmmmm.
Like this! Liked

msu
TRN Recruit
TRN Recruit

Post by msu » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:44 am

smidge34 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:46 am
Great post runningracer and classy as usual. If you’re gonna come outta left field hurling insults and wild accusations you shouldn’t hide behind a screen, you should grow a set and reveal who you are or stfu. I still smell something here just like I did in my initial post and it smells a lot like a personal agenda to besmirch someone. It’s almost like somebody wasn’t happy that Rechelle got the job to begin with. Hmmmmm.
I was over the moon when she was hired, actually. I’ve watched her coach for years and years and love her on the sideline. I don’t have any personal vendetta or anything towards Coach Turner. I have believed (and continue to believe, albeit more hesitantly) that she is the person to rebuild this program, but i know off the court (this was true at Murray High and Murray State) she has abrasive tendencies that leave some players feeling neglected, etc. I think she will adjust to how the college game differs from HS, as being a coach at the college level is more all-consuming and overwhelming. I don’t post too often because I know a lot more about the ins and outs of the womens program than I do the men’s, and very rarely does this forum ever offer a substantive discussion about the women. Seeing how this team was progressing throughout this season, I was so excited for how good they would be next year. But then hearing about the problematic dynamic behind the scenes that got worse throughout the season gave me pause, and then half the team finally jumping ship was a hard blow for me. But whatever happens, I’ll still be cheering at the games. Like I’ve said, no one wants to win more than Coach Turner, I’m just disappointed it looks like it will take a few more years to actually compete than I had believed.
Like this! Liked

runningracer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by runningracer » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:26 pm

Thanks for clearing that up. There are usually very few posts on this forum. Glad to see that you are on board with the program, but just disappointed in the two leaving that could have made a difference next year. Just a note...don't be discouraged. I don't know about this fall's recruiting class as I imagine they still have some to sign. but they evidently anticipated this might happen and have been recruiting hard since the end of the season. However, if rumors are correct, we will have a great recruiting class for 2020. As far as this fall is concerned, I wouldn't lose too much hope. I have seen several times that I thought Coach Turner might not have a lot of talent available, and wound up having a great season. I have to admit, she has an ability to develop players, and make them better, if they have the desire. We won't know until this time next year, but the players that left may have made the best move for both themselves, and the team. For whatever reason they moved on, I wish them well, and enjoyed watching them play this year.
Like this! Liked

windowoffice
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by windowoffice » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:47 am

Here's an article on Ashley Hunter, the juco transfer that looks like the obvious replacement for Janika Griffith-Wallace.

https://www.morainevalley.edu/storywall/story/ashley-hunter/

http://mvcyclones.com/sports/wbkb/2018-19/bios/hunter_ashley_o1mc?view=career&pos=sh

It is worrisome to me the turnover of players; losing 3 starters is never a good thing. My guess with Evelyn Adebayo is that she's doing the grad transfer for both academic reasons (she's a very good student, I hear) and possibly for competition reasons (I can see her wanting to play at a higher level than OVC). Even worse is losing both JGW and Brianna Crane, when both will have to sit out a year if they go to another DI school.

My very early guess on starters for next year; obviously there are more new faces coming in and Turley is the only one I would be bold enough to put down in ink.

Macey Turley
Lex Mayes
Ashley Hunter (JUCO transfer)
Macey Gibson (redshirt after injury in 2nd game of season) or Alexis Burpo
Cekeya Mack (we won't get the offense from her that we got from Adebayo last season or Ke'Shunan James before)
Like this! Liked

runningracer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by runningracer » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:52 pm

I am very positive on the players returning next year, as well as the recruits. Gibson was just getting comfortable with her teammates when she was injured last year. We are starting to transition to more team oriented ball, and better defense, as opposed to winning or losing based on the performance of one or two individuals. Murray State hired the right coach.
Like this! Liked

02Racer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by 02Racer » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:38 am

Like this! Liked

msu
TRN Recruit
TRN Recruit

Post by msu » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:19 am

02Racer wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:38 am
See--I told everyone she was leaving four days before she announced it, because I already knew. I'm not just speculating about the things I post. :thank:
Like this! Liked

runningracer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by runningracer » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:46 am

A nice note by Paige. She showed promise, but was behind a very good guard, and that wasn't going to change. She evidently wanted to be closer to home, which you can't blame her for. She also will probably receive more playing time at a DII school, and that is not unusual for a player who was the best on her squad all her life, and suddenly is coming off the bench in limited minutes. Probably the best move for her and the program. I wish her much success and happiness. :thumbup:
Like this! Liked

JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by JoeD » Thu May 02, 2019 12:16 pm

Adebayo commits to ...

UCONN...
Like this! Liked
Im old enough to remember when being "politically correct" was understood to mean "not being a complete, racist, xenophobic a-hole". Good times...

bentonracer
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by bentonracer » Thu May 02, 2019 12:51 pm

Wow!
Like this! Liked

jayinbama
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by jayinbama » Thu May 02, 2019 1:33 pm

JoeD wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 12:16 pm
Adebayo commits to ...

UCONN...
Guess that's a legit reason to,transfer 😂😂
Like this! Liked

JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by JoeD » Thu May 02, 2019 1:42 pm

I hate to lose who all we have lost, but when UConn comes poaching talent you had, the coaches must be doing something right.

Give this staff time, I wouldn’t be surprised if things didn’t start ticking upward.
Like this! Liked
Im old enough to remember when being "politically correct" was understood to mean "not being a complete, racist, xenophobic a-hole". Good times...

runningracer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by runningracer » Thu May 02, 2019 4:20 pm

I guess that puts to rest any issue concerning the coach. While well respected, and successful, Geno has a reputation of getting after his players when they need it, and pushes them, both in games, and practice. She has the chance to leave college with a national championship ring, and a year of graduate school that is completely paid for. Even though she might not get as much time on the floor, she made a move that will advance her job opportunities. She will graduate with a degree from Murray State, and most likely, a master's certificate from UCONN. Not a bad deal for her future.
Like this! Liked

Explore Kentucky Lake