Update

This forum is for the discussion of Racer Basketball recruiting.
popeyejonesfan
TRN POY
TRN POY

Re: Update

Post by popeyejonesfan » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:59 pm

good points all around. i like the ivan aska comparison joe d. i'd just love to see us get a legit 6 10" guy who can run the floor. but, i guess we'd have to change our name to uk or duke for that to happen!
Like this! Liked

JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by JoeD » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:07 pm

Just gotta keep getting better and getting our name out there. The staff is damned good at finding talent.
Like this! Liked
Im old enough to remember when being "politically correct" was understood to mean "not being a complete, racist, xenophobic a-hole". Good times...

popeyejonesfan
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by popeyejonesfan » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:34 pm

i know aj patty officially signed yesterday. i hope bryce jones signs soon. don't want him changing his mind. starting point for juco national champs as a freshman last year is pretty impressive.
Like this! Liked

JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by JoeD » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:37 pm

Im more impressed with how he has developed. He was a game manager as a freshman when the team was stacked. When they needed more from him his sophomore year he stepped up and did more. Impressive.
Like this! Liked
Im old enough to remember when being "politically correct" was understood to mean "not being a complete, racist, xenophobic a-hole". Good times...

MarshallRacer
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by MarshallRacer » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:08 pm

popeyejonesfan wrote:i know aj patty officially signed yesterday. i hope bryce jones signs soon. don't want him changing his mind. starting point for juco national champs as a freshman last year is pretty impressive.
Go to his twitter page, he is NOT leaving MSU :clap:

https://twitter.com/brycey_j32
Like this! Liked
Enjoy every day because things change fast - Billy Kennedy October 2011

FijiRacer
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by FijiRacer » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:31 am

I always try and temper my expectations during a big offseason shift in players but for some reason I just cannot do it this time around. This team will be good, the potential to be better than last year's in my opinion. Moss will be a star playing for NBA aspirations along with Seymour, Croaker, and our incoming JUCO PG. Langston will step up and so will whomever else we get to play the post. A tall four guard lineup is very exciting.
Like this! Liked

popeyejonesfan
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by popeyejonesfan » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:50 pm

Encouraging opinion Fiji. I feel the same way. But, you didn't mention McGhee. Looks like he can score and pass a little, and get to the free throw line. 29 points p/g in high school. Double figures scorer first 2 years in college. But, the article I read has to be wrong. It said scout.com rated him as the number 11 player overall and the number 3 shooting guard his senior year in high school. It was on the school website where he transferred from(tenn chatt wasn't it?). He couldn't have been rated that highly. I just hope there is enough playing time for all the backcourt players on the roster.
Like this! Liked

JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by JoeD » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:27 pm

We might see McGhee playing a hybrid four to start the season unless something changes. he has had a year of practice and has played at the D1 level.
Like this! Liked

FijiRacer
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by FijiRacer » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:33 pm

popeyejonesfan wrote:Encouraging opinion Fiji. I feel the same way. But, you didn't mention McGhee. Looks like he can score and pass a little, and get to the free throw line. 29 points p/g in high school. Double figures scorer first 2 years in college. But, the article I read has to be wrong. It said scout.com rated him as the number 11 player overall and the number 3 shooting guard his senior year in high school. It was on the school website where he transferred from(tenn chatt wasn't it?). He couldn't have been rated that highly. I just hope there is enough playing time for all the backcourt players on the roster.
Very true.. All of these new guys with so much potential.. it's easy to forget about someone. I have no idea about his rankings. The only thing I'm worried about is that we've had so much success lately we are due for a down year..
Like this! Liked

JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by JoeD » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:51 pm

Ill post what I can find about GerVaughn "Gee" McGee.

This, from UTC while he was there.

2013-14
Started all 33 games at the two guard for the Mocs…was fourth in points (10.0) and third in rebounds (4.8 ) per game on the squad while leading with 90 total assists (2.7/gm)…tied Casey Jones for the team lead in steals with 40 with a season high of five against Montreat and DI high of four in home win over Furman…scored in double digits 17 times…three double-doubles while grabbing 10 or more boards three times…had 16 points, a career-best 15 rebounds and five assists in the pivotal home win over Western Carolina…season-high 21 points in OT loss at Samford…first career double-double with 18 points and 10 rebounds against Kennesaw State…posted 17 points and a career-high 10 assists in the Dr Pepper Championship win over Maine...ranked among Southern Conference leaders in scoring (29th, 10.0), assists (13th, 2.7) and steals (T8th, 1.2).
2012-13
Second on the Mocs in scoring behind Z. Mason (12.1 ppg)…started all 32 contests…set freshman records for three-pointers made (38), three-pointers attempted (125), free throws made (120), free throws attempted (196), free throws made in a game (13) and free throws attempted in a game (19) with both coming in home win over Elon…tied freshman mark for steals in a game with four at College of Charleston and in road win at Western Carolina…ended up just four free throw attempts shy of 200 with 196 which is the sixth most of the DI era…21 double-digit games with three in the 20’s…high of 24 came in home win over Elon…tallied 22 points with seven rebounds and four assists in home win over The Citadel…20 points, eight rebounds and two steals in narrow home loss to CofC…high of nine boards in Dr Pepper Classic Championship win over Utah Valley…10 or more free throw attempts in five games…high of six assists in road loss to UNCG…led the team in scoring nine times, five time on the boards.,,five or more assists four times, three or more steals thrice.
HIGH SCHOOL
Led Redemptorist to 99 wins over his four-year career playing for Tim Waller, Jr.…averaged in double digits each of his four seasons for the Wolves including 29.2 points per game as senior…also topped 20-plus as a junior scoring 26.2 points per contest…rated top 20 player by ESPNHS prior to start of 2011-12 season…ranked No. 11 by Scout.com overall, No. 3 shooting guard…chose Chattanooga over Murray State and Arkansas State.
PERSONAL
GerVaughn Eric McGhee was born March 12, 1994…son of Cheryl and Ronnie McGhee…has one sister, Charelle, and a brother, Ronald…prefers to go by the name Gee…played AAU for his father and the Bayou Flames as well as the Louisiana Dynasty…Sport Administration major.

Here is a youtube video from a couple years ago while at UTC
Like this! Liked

MarshallRacer
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by MarshallRacer » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:17 pm

I can only guess that must be a state ranking, not national. I loved what I saw of Gee in the Meet the Racers event last year, I do believe he will make a huge contribution before it's all said and done here, there's no way he was #11 overall though.
Like this! Liked
Enjoy every day because things change fast - Billy Kennedy October 2011

cowboyracer43
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by cowboyracer43 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:33 pm

Thank You, JoeD. Kids like Gee and CJ coming to Murray after having chosen other "name" schools like Clemson and Chattanooga are telling a huge story as to what COACH is getting done at Murray. Sometimes even we forget. An annual subject on RacerNation is "how do we replace an Isaac Miles? Isaiah Canaan? Donte Poole? Cam Payne?" Somehow, COACH just keeps on keeping on. So, too, does Murray State.
Like this! Liked
Some people are like slinkies. Good for nothing but they bring a smile to my face when pushed down the stairs. I call them liberals.

PadFan
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by PadFan » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:26 pm

They and He sure do Cowboy! Reload at Murray State!
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:21 pm

From some tweets I'm seeing, it looks like we are on Miss State decommit 2015 HS PG Tookie Brown. Memphis was in the mix and up for a visit, but with Tarrant committing to Memphis, we might be in the catbird seat for his services. I like the thought of a freshman PG and of course another big. I like the couple transfers idea too, as Joe mentioned.
Like this! Liked

cowboyracer43
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by cowboyracer43 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:05 pm

I did not see any decommit list, but the kid got a lot of attention. State title is a bonus. It appears that a fistful of good ballplayers are wanting to step into Cam's shoes. That is OK with me. http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Tookie-Brown-136235
Like this! Liked
Some people are like slinkies. Good for nothing but they bring a smile to my face when pushed down the stairs. I call them liberals.

ThaiRacer96
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by ThaiRacer96 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:50 am

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/recruitingreport/2015/04/07/tookie-brown-reopens-recruitment/25416697/
...Former Mississippi State 2015 signee Tookie Brown announced his plans to reopen his recruitment via Twitter on Tuesday...
https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1602275
Brown becomes Mississippi State's third commitment in the 2015 class, joining Scott and Joseph Struggs. Before giving his verbal, Brown had received offers from Murray State, UAB, and Xavier, according to his high school coach Charlemagne Gibbons. Several ACC and SEC schools were showing interest.
1G Tookie Brown, Morgan County HS, Madison, Ga.,5-11, 180
Kyle Sandy @KyleSandy355 · Apr 20, 2015
Tookie Brown visiting Memphis in the next couple of days. Tigers making a strong push. Murray State also interested.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/191019/tookie-brown
https://future150.com/hs/basketball-profiles/tookie-brown-pg-2015
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Tookie-Brown-136235
http://247sports.com/Player/Tookie-Brown-19581
http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/tookie-brown
Like this! Liked
Follow my Twitter: @ThaiRacer96

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:50 am

@KyleSandy355: Alabama guard transfering to Memphis. Eligible to play right away... Not a good sign for Tookie Brown I'd imagine. But who knows.
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:48 am

So, from the Racer Insider himself, it looks like we are looking to take a HS PG, between Tookie Brown and Tobias Howard. It looks like we are looking at a HS big between Gerron, a kid I really like Jy'Lan Washington out of Stewart's Creek in Smyrna, TN and Charles Brown out of New Orleans.

Lindy is on the Tuesday 4/21 lineup.

http://www.995thefanpaducah.com/the-jeff-bidwell-show-2/

The Washington kid from Smyrna can handle the ball or shoot the trey with the guards. I hear maybe he has a question with one class grade. Check him out!

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3405971/jylan-washington
Like this! Liked

75Fan
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by 75Fan » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:01 am

I'm diggin' me some Tookie!!!!

He'd fit right in here at Murray State!!!
Like this! Liked

6 ETHICS OF LIFE

1. BEFORE YOU PRAY..........BELIEVE.
2. BEFORE YOU SPEAK.......LISTEN.
3. BEFORE YOU SPEND......EARN.
4. BEFORE YOU WRITE.......THINK.
5. BEFORE YOU QUIT...........TRY.
6. BEFORE YOU DIE.............LIVE.

bentonracer
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by bentonracer » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:24 pm

Here is what we could have if our cards fall just right.

Croaker 4 Star (done deal)
Bryce Jones - JUCO All American (done deal)

Still recruiting the following guys which we have a good chance of at least two of these, possibly 3 of them.

Tookie Brown - 4 Star
Scissum - 3 Star
Demetrius Henry - 4 Star
Nick King - Transfer from Memphis

All these to go along with Moss, Seymour, Wayne, Gee, Patty. I love how Prohm and the coaching staff gets these talented kids.
Like this! Liked

Explore Kentucky Lake