Update

This forum is for the discussion of Racer Basketball recruiting.
racerofwesttenn
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Update

Post by racerofwesttenn »

Here will likely be your three and final signings for the 2015 class:

F Russell Woods-JC
F Jordan Varnado-High School, Brownsville, TN.
G Jermiah Martin-High School, Memphis, TN.

to go along with our other three signings and two transfers from last season we look to be in pretty good shape. also, we are looking in good shape with Nick King, the transfer from Memphis.

popeyejonesfan
TRN POY
TRN POY

Re: Update

Post by popeyejonesfan »

not familiar with martin. but, woods and varnado sounds awesome. if this is accurate, i'm wondering about gerron scissum. was the coaching staff not as interested in him as i thought? i thought the racers had a great shot at getting him. varnado...brownsville, tn, didn't we get greg coble from there?

JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by JoeD »

If i was a betting man, I would take the field vs any of those three, tbh. This staff has done well to find diamonds and they like to take chances late in recruiting. They don't always pan out, granted, but they win more than they lose.
Americans dead by COVID-19 as of 5/5/2020 72,271.
Americans lost in Vietnam- 58,209
Korea- 38,616
All other American dead in every conflict since 1975 including 9/11 and Benghazi- 10,580

Some hoax

popeyejonesfan
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by popeyejonesfan »

ok. my smile just turned upside down! LOL i want every kid to go to the right school, make the grades, and get playing time. but, i figured kids would be knocking the door down trying to get a scholarship to murray. look at bryce jones, jumped at his chance witout even visiting the school. racers keep winning, having long winning streaks, producing pro players. and, according to cam payne, making men. fans show their support by going to the games, showing up to welcome the team after 2 nit wins. what kid and their parents wouldn't want to play in murray...unless they have guaranteed big playing time for a top 50 school?

Racer88
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by Racer88 »

I would argue that Murray is a top 50 school. Also FWIW, I think that we will get a commitment from someone we have known about for a while as well as someone that is currently off the radar.

JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by JoeD »

No worries. We will be okay.
Korea- 38,616
All other American dead in every conflict since 1975 including 9/11 and Benghazi- 10,580

Some hoax

bluejazz7

Post by bluejazz7 »

Looks like Martin signed with Memphis yesterday. Other ideas??

popeyejonesfan
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by popeyejonesfan »

i'd like to see us get an inside/outside guy. from what i hear, scissum is like that. but, i keep hearing talk on here that we lose out on certain guys because coach prohm wants to use them exclusively in the post. too many post players clogs up the lane doesn't it? i loved watching cam and sapp and moss drive to the rim. it would be cool to have a guy who can post up, drive or shoot the 15 foot jumper. but, i wonder if the coaching staff really wants that type of guy. can pope develop into that type of guy? of course, the philosophy might be different now with big john and jarvis graduating. i wish we'd had them for 4 healthy years.

JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by JoeD »

It's not a "exclusivity" issue. We need guys who afford us the option to play big with a four, or play small with one post player. This is on defense as well. A 6'7" guy who sees himself as a glorified two guard doesn't help us. However, if we look at Ivan Aska's senior year, we see a 6'7" four who was able to play in the post as an anchor, could rebound and defend fives, but when the situation called for it, could play facing up with skill. It's not an exclusive post player, it's a primary post player.

We need bigs who can allow us to go four guards and run and still rebound and defend in the halfcourt.
Korea- 38,616

Some hoax

JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by JoeD »

But where you play on offense is a much sexier conversation to a high school kid who was a star, that where and how you play on defense.
Korea- 38,616

Some hoax

NKYRacer
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by NKYRacer »

racerofwesttenn wrote:Here will likely be your three and final signings for the 2015 class:

F Russell Woods-JC
F Jordan Varnado-High School, Brownsville, TN.
G Jermiah Martin-High School, Memphis, TN.

to go along with our other three signings and two transfers from last season we look to be in pretty good shape. also, we are looking in good shape with Nick King, the transfer from Memphis.
Did i miss where Flomo and Gilmore transfered out to make room for all four of these guys?

bentonracer
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by bentonracer »

Flomo and Gilmore are still with the team. Rambo transferred.

JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by JoeD »

Why is everybody trying to push Flomo out the door? I just don't get it the kids can play. True he was a small step down from a senior in TJ Sapp and behind the Lute Olson POY in Cam Payne, but the kids can play.

From what I can tell what we're looking at is we have four signees four players leaving. What were lining up is just in case any of those guys don't make it.
Korea- 38,616

Some hoax

windowoffice
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by windowoffice »

Yeah, I hope Flomo has the mindset that Bryce Jones is gonna have to take the starting PG position away from him. Two true PGs that we have confidence in would be nice.

bentonracer
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by bentonracer »

JoeD wrote:Why is everybody trying to push Flomo out the door? I just don't get it the kids can play. True he was a small step down from a senior in TJ Sapp and behind the Lute Olson POY in Cam Payne, but the kids can play.

From what I can tell what we're looking at is we have four signees four players leaving. What were lining up is just in case any of those guys don't make it.

Actually 5 players leaving. Jarvis, TJ, Jonathon, Cam, Tyler.

NKYRacer
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by NKYRacer »

I sure as hell ain`t pushing him anywhere. I don`t think he is going anywhere.

As far as I`m concerned we have two spots left, and while I would prefer both of them be a 3,4, or (gasp!) a 5, one will probably be a guard.

I`m still optimistic on Scissum, but the other slot is up in there.

What I can say for sure is don`t hold your breath. Players are declaring and transfering left and right. Many top recruits remain unsigned and probably not going to in a hurry until the dominos quit falling. It may be a week plus till the trickle down gets to the people that we are waiting to hear from make thier final decision.

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 »

As I said before, I can't see us using a scholarship on players who aren't eligible. I could see a situation similar to Tra Edwards last year paying his own way. There's two right there.
:goracers: 109

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 »

ESPECIALLY if we snag a couple of these transfers we are all over. Think about it.

cowboyracer43
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by cowboyracer43 »

Please do not expect a Freshman Big to get meaningful minutes. When he enters, he will be playing against 5th year seniors and giving up 50 lbs or more. Their value will be realized in 3d, 4th or 5th year. Just like Ed. Ed avg'd about 5 min/gm as a Frosh; fewer than 10 minutes as a Soph and owned the paint as a junior and senior. Carl Ashley redshirted his frosh season and we got the benefit.

I recently came across a bit from Aubrey Reese's younger days. . . http://www.racerhistory.com/facts/reese-cartoon.htm
Some people are like slinkies. Good for nothing but they bring a smile to my face when pushed down the stairs. I call them liberals.

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 »

I know you would love to redshirt every player we've ever recruited, lol, and that's fine, but we ain't in the shape to redshirt jack IMO. Man that's the reality of it. I bet we take one or maybe two transfers, which are counted toward schollies and sitting there growing themselves. There are your redshirts. Redshirts are great if you are deep, have no transfers/academic redshirts and on a case by case basis, but we are in no position for that and frankly, haven't been for quite awhile. Hell, we haven't been full up for a minute. I feel ya though and wish we were in that position IF there wasn't a talented transfer on our bench.

Explore Kentucky Lake