RACERS vs Eastern Illinois Game Thread

This forum is for the discussion of the men's basketball team.
jcruse64
TRN Benchwarmer
TRN Benchwarmer

Re: RACERS vs Eastern Illinois Game Thread

Post by jcruse64 »

Rebounding effort was another thing that got me last night, and not just the bigs, either. Saw more than once where a guard just glued to his spot and waited for the ball to come to him, and also noticed it on a couple of loose ball situations. With a couple of exceptions, this has gone on all season. It doesn't happen to KJ often, but it does creep in even with him, occasionally. It's something that should not be happening by this time in the season, even one as strange as this Covid season is.
Like this! Liked
Handicap
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by Handicap »

This whole lineage of coaches just aren't that great besides Kennedy.

We need something new and fresh who can really coach and bring Racer basketball out of this slump.
Like this! Liked
smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 »

My bigger question is, why can't Carter and Smith handle the point guard duties? They did last year. I thought Carter was recruited as a point guard, now suddenly he can only play the 2?
Have you seen Chico’s A/TO ratio? Lol I don’t want him running our offense.
Like this! Liked
STLRacer
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by STLRacer »

sparekracer wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:26 am I don't really want to throw anyone under the bus, and let's face it, the coaching staff has access to a lot more information than we fans do. So while it's only natural for fans to question some of the coaching decisions - let's also not pretend that fans have access to all of the information that go into those decisions.

Having said that...

The rebounding effort by this team last night was horrible. This begs a question for me when looking at the box score... Gilmore... 8 minutes. The team is not rebounding, not putting any effort into rebounding, Gilmore puts a lot of effort into rebounding especially offensive rebounds and the lack of offensive rebounding killed this team last night. Would Gilmore have made a difference? I don't know. But I look at the box score and Robinson played 34 minutes and don't misunderstand me, Robinson had a decent game. But would the game have turned out differently had Gilmore been at 18 minutes and Robinson at 24 minutes?

Looking further at the box score - Juice played 26 minutes, Bostick 11, and Smith 10. To Juice's credit he had been playing a lot better up to this game. But watching the game, it looked like he was returning back to his earlier season form. Smith may still be nursing his ankle injury, so maybe that played a role in his minutes. Bostick didn't really have a great game either, but the offense just seems to flow better when Bostick is in instead of Juice. My bigger question is, why can't Carter and Smith handle the point guard duties? They did last year. I thought Carter was recruited as a point guard, now suddenly he can only play the 2? It's like the coaching staff is banking their entire reputation on being able to turn Juice into a Morant like point guard, so they are giving him every opportunity to showcase that regardless of whether it helps or hurts the team (sound like another Kentucky based college team?)

That's my observations from last night's game. Again I don't have all of the information that the coaching staff has to determine playing time.
This is literally the lets not be too hard on the coach and give them as much of a benefit of the doubt as humanly possible mindset that I was talking about in my last post that I just cannot understand. I do not think people are honestly most concerned about playing time decisions etc. at this point man. That has been a lot of discussion at times, yes. But I do not thing the coaches knowing more than we we changes what to me is the obvious questions. That is simply can this head coach and staff evaluate talent, recruit and then develop/coach that talent at a level that should be done in this program. To me all evidence points to no. The fact that this decline has happened between years 5 to 6 as opposed to 1 to 2 makes me feel more strongly. Ja made things look really good for two years. I have no interest in supporting a coaching staff at Murray State that requires the best player in our history for them to be acceptable. This year is 100% unacceptable for Murray State and it aint the virus that is causing it this deep into a season.
Last edited by STLRacer on Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Like this! Liked
STLRacer
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by STLRacer »

smidge34 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:12 am
My bigger question is, why can't Carter and Smith handle the point guard duties? They did last year. I thought Carter was recruited as a point guard, now suddenly he can only play the 2?
Why would we want someone whose upside could be as one of the if not the best 2 guard in the conference playing PG?
Like this! Liked
smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 »

STLRacer wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:15 am
sparekracer wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:26 am I don't really want to throw anyone under the bus, and let's face it, the coaching staff has access to a lot more information than we fans do. So while it's only natural for fans to question some of the coaching decisions - let's also not pretend that fans have access to all of the information that go into those decisions.

Having said that...

The rebounding effort by this team last night was horrible. This begs a question for me when looking at the box score... Gilmore... 8 minutes. The team is not rebounding, not putting any effort into rebounding, Gilmore puts a lot of effort into rebounding especially offensive rebounds and the lack of offensive rebounding killed this team last night. Would Gilmore have made a difference? I don't know. But I look at the box score and Robinson played 34 minutes and don't misunderstand me, Robinson had a decent game. But would the game have turned out differently had Gilmore been at 18 minutes and Robinson at 24 minutes?

Looking further at the box score - Juice played 26 minutes, Bostick 11, and Smith 10. To Juice's credit he had been playing a lot better up to this game. But watching the game, it looked like he was returning back to his earlier season form. Smith may still be nursing his ankle injury, so maybe that played a role in his minutes. Bostick didn't really have a great game either, but the offense just seems to flow better when Bostick is in instead of Juice. My bigger question is, why can't Carter and Smith handle the point guard duties? They did last year. I thought Carter was recruited as a point guard, now suddenly he can only play the 2? It's like the coaching staff is banking their entire reputation on being able to turn Juice into a Morant like point guard, so they are giving him every opportunity to showcase that regardless of whether it helps or hurts the team (sound like another Kentucky based college team?)

That's my observations from last night's game. Again I don't have all of the information that the coaching staff has to determine playing time.
This is literally the lets not be too hard on the coach and give them as much of a benefit of the doubt as humanly possible mindset that I was talking about in my last post that I just cannot understand. I do not think people are honestly most concerned about playing time decisions etc. at this point man. That has been a lot of discussion at times, yes. But I do not thing the coaches knowing more than we we changes what to me is the obvious questions. That is simply can this head coach and staff evaluate talent, recruit and then develop/coach that talent at a level that should be done in this program. To me all evidence points to no. The fact that this decline has happened between years 5 to 6 as opposed to 1 to 2 makes me feel more strongly. Ja made things look really good for two years. I have no interest in supporting a coaching staff at Murray State that requires the best player in our history for them to be acceptable. This year is 100% unacceptable for Murray State and it aint the virus that is causing it this deep into a season.
I’m gonna go on supporting us regardless, that’s what I do but man if alarms bells and whistles are going spaz for you right now you’re asleep at the wheel lol. One thing I find a little hope in is between now and next season we can possibly get lucky and find a suitable PG. Imagine this team with Vandy’s Pippen, Jr for instance. Man.
Like this! Liked
sparekracer
TRN Benchwarmer
TRN Benchwarmer

Post by sparekracer »

The points about the coaching staff being unprepared and unable to recruit and all of that - those are valid points.

I guess my viewpoint is - do I see the coaching staff as not caring about the product they put on the court? - No, I don't see that. I think the coaching staff cares. I think the coaching staff wants to win and wants to find the best players to put on the court. But life's taught me that just because you want something doesn't mean it's going to happen.

I agree that the coaching staff should be on the hot seat for this season. Coaches are hired to be fired - that's the way the sports world works. But I'm not going to call the coaching staff stupid or irresponsible - even though I don't agree with a lot of the decisions being made this year. Will I be sad if the coaching staff is fired? No. A different coaching philosophy or viewpoint may be becoming necessary.

I just like to keep things in perspective. I don't get bent out of shape over losses - but as a fan it is frustrating.
Like this! Liked
msuowns
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by msuowns »

Are we fair weathered fans or concerned because the bottom suddenly fell out? This isn’t covid either, look at the other schools.
Like this! Liked
"Home, home again I like to be here when I can. When I come home cold and tired, it's good to warm my bones by the fire".
STLRacer
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by STLRacer »

smidge34 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:36 am
STLRacer wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:15 am

Having said that...

I’m gonna go on supporting us regardless, that’s what I do but man if alarms bells and whistles are going spaz for you right now you’re asleep at the wheel lol. One thing I find a little hope in is between now and next season we can possibly get lucky and find a suitable PG. Imagine this team with Vandy’s Pippen, Jr for instance. Man.
You bring up a good point Smidge, and I don't want that to get missed in my rants lol. I will 100% continue to support this program every single year regardless of its state. I love Murray State Basketball. I was moreso suggesting that I will not blindly support a coaching staff and have a refuse to question if they are capable of being at the helm of this program attitude . I do not want CMM to fail, quite the opposite, and I do not want Murray State to have to go through a coach firing, I want him to be a great coach and am rooting for him. But if he doesn't have it, then Murray needs to move on, and if at some point that happens, I would support that decision as well. I just want Murray State Basketball to be what it is, the best flipping program in the OVC and one of the best programs in the nation, and I think we all agree that we are not that right now.
Like this! Liked
STLRacer
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by STLRacer »

sparekracer wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:55 am The points about the coaching staff being unprepared and unable to recruit and all of that - those are valid points.

I guess my viewpoint is - do I see the coaching staff as not caring about the product they put on the court? - No, I don't see that. I think the coaching staff cares. I think the coaching staff wants to win and wants to find the best players to put on the court. But life's taught me that just because you want something doesn't mean it's going to happen.

I agree that the coaching staff should be on the hot seat for this season. Coaches are hired to be fired - that's the way the sports world works. But I'm not going to call the coaching staff stupid or irresponsible - even though I don't agree with a lot of the decisions being made this year. Will I be sad if the coaching staff is fired? No. A different coaching philosophy or viewpoint may be becoming necessary.

I just like to keep things in perspective. I don't get bent out of shape over losses - but as a fan it is frustrating.
Well said. I agree totally that the desire are heart of CMM is not in question.
Like this! Liked
smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 »

I don’t think his heart and desire are at question if you’ve ever watched a practice. I watched him tell one of his pre-Ja teams who tried and failed 10X to get the ball across the half court line in a practice scrimmage rather than commit an easy unforced turnover to just — as he demonstrated vigorously — to turn around and kick the ball into the upper deck so they could set up the defense lol. He’s a perfectionist. That has nothing to do with the lack of guard talent.
Like this! Liked
ERacerHead
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by ERacerHead »

Last night was really disappointing and difficult to watch. I was totally expecting to see Rod play the last two minutes. It's unfortunate for us that we had to be the first team to play a full strength EIU squad. It would have been better to play them Saturday. Had they demolished someone else Thursday and we had an opportunity to study tape, we might be having a different conversation. We clearly weren't prepared for the team EIU put on the floor and didn't make the correct in game adjustments.
Like this! Liked
msuowns
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by msuowns »

When EIU sicks the dogs on ya, you got a problem.
Like this! Liked
"Home, home again I like to be here when I can. When I come home cold and tired, it's good to warm my bones by the fire".
smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 »

smidge34 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:22 am Last season.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/ ... OVC_4_.pdf

This season.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/ ... OVC_4_.pdf

Shooting is down while opponents’ is up. Double whammy. The conference is much better this season too. We’re just a middle of the pack OVC team fellas. Is what it is.
We’ve played one less game and have 64 MORE 3pt attempts....
Like this! Liked
02Racer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by 02Racer »

smidge34 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:12 am
Exactly. Chico has the makings of an excellent two guard but he’s not a point guard.
Like this! Liked
02Racer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by 02Racer »

msuowns wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:57 am Are we fair weathered fans or concerned because the bottom suddenly fell out? This isn’t covid either, look at the other schools.
Honestly, I think part of it is COVID. Not the virus itself, but everything that goes along with it. It's affected nearly every aspect of our lives for the past year and it would be naive to think college basketball would be any different. For whatever reason, it seems to have affected traditionally dominant programs more than others.

We are currently the 6th place team in the OVC. Kentucky and Duke are both in 8th place in the their conferences. Coincidence? When is the last time that happened? What is the likelihood of it ever happening again?

The atmosphere at our home games is VASTLY different this season. The other OVC schools? Not so much. 10-15% capacity is pretty much standard in those arenas.

On top of that, testing three times a week, no in person classes, not going out for meals or parties. The men's and women's players aren't even allowed to be in the same building the same time. I think that living in a bubble has likely created more tension among players and coaches than normal.

In the past year, how many people have you heard comment on their high stress levels brought on by working at home along with their spouse and their kids doing their school work? Rarely going out, isolated with their family nearly 24 hours a day.

I would guess being on a team in that environment might be quite similar.
Like this! Liked
runningracer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by runningracer »

I believe Bostick will develop into a quality point guard. To do that, he is going to need to be somewhere this summer where he can spend hours working on his shot, both from the field, and the free throw line. He looked like a deer in headlights at times last night.

I don't know what Robinson's problem is. He was so enthusiastic last year, and seemed to be on his way to developing into an All conference type. According to his own statements he did not have a good place to work out in the summer, and maybe that is why he has not been able to reach the level that he performed at last year. He just doesn't seem to have the desire that he had previously.. It is a shame, because he seems to be a fine young man, and I miss the way he performed last season. Hope to see him get himself together, he is one of my favorites, and is a joy to watch when he is enthused with his game.

All of our bigs seem to think they can outjump people for rebounds. They tend not to block out. Several times last night we would have two or three under the basket for a rebound, and the only EIU player would get between them for the rebound.
Like this! Liked
75Fan
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by 75Fan »

Here's the player ratings
for this game.....

(4) MARVIN JOHNSON – G		134.8439
(23) K. J. WILLIAMS – F		134.6144
(2) JORDAN SKIPPER-BROWN – F	132.4675

(2) CHICO CARTER – G		125.3403

(10) TEVIN BROWN – G		 96.9644

(3) MACK SMITH – G		 62.9644
(25) DEANG DEANG – G		 61.0359

(35) GEORGE DIXON – G		 57.6238

(0) DEMOND ROBINSON – F		 47.9282
(22) JOSIAH WALLACE – G		 47.0286

(13) HENRY ABRAHAM – G		 29.2710
(14) JUSTICE HILL – G		 20.1684

(1) DAQUAN SMITH – G		 18.5747
(20) SAMMY FRIDAY IV – F	 15.8369

(32) NICHOLAS MCMULLEN – F	  5.7438
(4) DIONTE BOSTICK – G		  4.7868

(13) DEVIN GILMORE – F		- 0.9299

Here's the statistics
for this game..( 75.32 )...

STAT		MURRAY ST.	E. ILLINOIS
FGM		25		27
FGA		61		47
FG%		40.98		57.45

3PM		4		7
3PA		21		11
3P%		19.05		63.64

FTM		5		7
FTA		7		12
FT%		71.43		58.33

OR		8		5
DR		18		29
TREB		26		34

FLS		15		10

AST		11		8
TOS		12		18

BLK		3		7
STL		11		6

PTS		59		68

Here's the player's Net Game Ratings
for this game.....

(2) CHICO CARTER – G		  9.7800
(4) MARVIN JOHNSON – G		  9.4450

(25) DEANG DEANG – G		  6.4600

(23) K. J. WILLIAMS – F		  3.4400
(2) JORDAN SKIPPER-BROWN – F	  3.0850

(32) NICHOLAS MCMULLEN – F	  0.6400
(20) SAMMY FRIDAY IV – F	  0.3950

(3) MACK SMITH – G		 -1.0300
(1) DAQUAN SMITH – G		 -1.4000

(22) JOSIAH WALLACE – G		 -2.1450
(10) TEVIN BROWN – G		 -2.6000
(13) DEVIN GILMORE – F		 -2.7200

(35) GEORGE DIXON – G		 -3.1950
(4) DIONTE BOSTICK – G		 -3.7400

(13) HENRY ABRAHAM – G		 -4.0150
(14) JUSTICE HILL – G		 -4.8400

(0) DEMOND ROBINSON – F		 -7.5600

Like this! Liked

6 ETHICS OF LIFE

1. BEFORE YOU PRAY..........BELIEVE.
2. BEFORE YOU SPEAK.......LISTEN.
3. BEFORE YOU SPEND......EARN.
4. BEFORE YOU WRITE.......THINK.
5. BEFORE YOU QUIT...........TRY.
6. BEFORE YOU DIE.............LIVE.

runningracer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by runningracer »

I don't imagine anyone has enjoyed the way this season has gone to this point, coaches, players, fans, or athletic personnel.
It is not going to do any good to wish for what might have been. We have three games, and a tournament left. Win, or lose, I hope to see this team come out and play hard, have fun, and show the ability that they have. This team can still achieve a lot. Let's get behind them and finish this season out right.
:goracers:
Like this! Liked
ERacerHead
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by ERacerHead »

02Racer wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:31 pm
msuowns wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:57 am Are we fair weathered fans or concerned because the bottom suddenly fell out? This isn’t covid either, look at the other schools.
Honestly, I think part of it is COVID. Not the virus itself, but everything that goes along with it. It's affected nearly every aspect of our lives for the past year and it would be naive to think college basketball would be any different. For whatever reason, it seems to have affected traditionally dominant programs more than others.

We are currently the 6th place team in the OVC. Kentucky and Duke are both in 8th place in the their conferences. Coincidence? When is the last time that happened? What is the likelihood of it ever happening again?

The atmosphere at our home games is VASTLY different this season. The other OVC schools? Not so much. 10-15% capacity is pretty much standard in those arenas.

On top of that, testing three times a week, no in person classes, not going out for meals or parties. The men's and women's players aren't even allowed to be in the same building the same time. I think that living in a bubble has likely created more tension among players and coaches than normal.

In the past year, how many people have you heard comment on their high stress levels brought on by working at home along with their spouse and their kids doing their school work? Rarely going out, isolated with their family nearly 24 hours a day.

I would guess being on a team in that environment might be quite similar.
I cannot agree with this statement more. Having been at MSU for a long time, these are strange days indeed. Most peculiar. It's all different, and although it's the same virus, it's not affecting everyone the same. Clearly the historic blue bloods in college basketball (including us) are having seasons no one would have expected. The atmosphere on campus is way different than I've ever seen it, and students overall are really struggling and disconnected. This is not a normal year. Yes, some programs have adapted to it better than others, but I would be reluctant to give undue credit to those that have or undue criticism to those who have not.
Like this! Liked
Explore Kentucky Lake