RACERS vs Eastern Illinois Game Thread

This forum is for the discussion of the men's basketball team.
murraygrad05
TRN POY
TRN POY

Re: RACERS vs Eastern Illinois Game Thread

Post by murraygrad05 »

02Racer wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:52 pm
speck wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:45 pm I wonder what kind of a player KJ would have been under Mick?
He would have left by now. KJ tends to pout when coach gets on him at all. I can’t imagine that he’d take too well to Cronin screaming obscenities at his belly button.
I remember Pearson Griffith being almost useless when he got here though and by the time he left he had developed in to a force down low. Mick had a way of getting the most out of his players.

KJ and Demond both do not seem to take criticism very well and the heads go down immediately when they are pulled.
Like this! Liked
popeyejonesfan
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by popeyejonesfan »

murraygrad05 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:56 pm
I would love to sit in on a practice and see how they play in practice. I cannot for the life of me see CMM being a strict guy and I am a firm believer in practice.
I’m not throwing anyone under the bus. But, I thought Lindy and some posters on this site were raving about how good CMM is in practice and how well the team is prepared for each game. I said this before. We must be living in an episode of the Twilight Zone.
Like this! Liked
evvracerfan
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by evvracerfan »

Completely unacceptable effort tonight by the players and coaching staff. They embarrassed themselves against a team that won’t even make the OVC tourney.
Like this! Liked
runningracer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by runningracer »

Jay had one of the best teachers in basketball to work with him for years. Charlie always focused on taking away what a team wanted to do. They took away our inside game. We became a three point shooting team, that did not try to find the best shot. When shots didn't fall, we took a long time to adjust. Can't blame Hill for this, as he tried to penetrate the defense, but we were looking to take what we were given, and when they challenged us to hit the three. We couldn't.
We did not play a cohesive defense. There were moments when we tried to play defense, and forced turnovers, but the gambling, and allowing straight paths to the goal looked more like what we did early in the season. They defensed us well. Our guys were not ready.
When are our guards going to learn not to go around a screen until the screener is set? We looked totally unprepared to face a team that was motivated to turn their season around, that started all seniors. :cry:
Like this! Liked
ClearTheTrackTN
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by ClearTheTrackTN »

This team makes me drink.
Like this! Liked
smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 »

This is the 3rd season out of last 6 I’m ready for off season smh. Usually hate it but it’s getting awfully common to welcome it smh.
Like this! Liked
murraygrad05
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by murraygrad05 »

Looking at the season stats this morning to try and figure out what is going on and I was blown away by one stat line...

Gilmore has played 358 minutes.
Robinson has played 546.

In almost 200 less minutes Gilmore only has 7 less total rebounds than Robinson.

Robinson has 102.
Gilmore has 95.

With a wide body like Robinson has, especially in this conference, averaging 4.8 rebounds just ain’t cutting it.
Like this! Liked
murraygrad05
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by murraygrad05 »

popeyejonesfan wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:04 pm
murraygrad05 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:56 pm
I would love to sit in on a practice and see how they play in practice. I cannot for the life of me see CMM being a strict guy and I am a firm believer in practice.
I’m not throwing anyone under the bus. But, I thought Lindy and some posters on this site were raving about how good CMM is in practice and how well the team is prepared for each game. I said this before. We must be living in an episode of the Twilight Zone.
I just can’t see it myself. Never seen or heard about a practice but I watch the guys in warmups laughing and cutting up and I like that they seem to be loose and having fun.

HOWEVER...

Without a clear leader on the floor this season to bring everything back in to focus, we almost play too loose. For example, we didn’t start to show any intensity last night until we were down by 12. Just imagine if we had started the game how we ended the first half.

Maybe winning the past 3 games by 20+ lost our focus. Watching CMM’s sideline demeanor, except for the occasional lash out over a non call, he just doesn’t provide that focus imho.
Like this! Liked
jcruse64
TRN Benchwarmer
TRN Benchwarmer

Post by jcruse64 »

Pretty embarrassing effort and game by coach and team combined. EIU has swept us and are the 3rd team to do it this season. If we were a team full of freshman, maybe I could swallow this, but not with this squad. The team/staff that took the floor tonight showed up to let their reputation play this game for them, not their heart. EIU made them eat it. If this team shows up in Evansville, it will be sent home with its tail between its legs on opening day.

EIU really did a good job of keeping us off the boards. When we WERE successful getting inside, the layups were half-hearted. McMullin seems to be able to get decent position, but he cannot grab a ball, he usually pokes it, and it winds up in the hands of an opponent. Lazy passes, and not just from Deonte and Juice. And McM decides to bring the press in with about a minute left to go...

Speck said it, EIU's coach did a good job and his team controlled the game; our coach, not so much.

Honorable mention to the officiating. We had our first female ref. Not a lot of fouls called, till late, and much less than is normal. But the travel call she made on Chico (I think) when he went to the floor with a loose ball in the 1st?!?!?!?!?! And then EIU does pretty much the same thing in the 2nd, with much more rolling on the floor, and it's no call. She was not alone in the poor calling. Every once in a while, I wish McM would at least get a warning from an official over arguing a poor call.

After the last few games, and seeing what this lineup is capable of, this one hurt to watch, to also see what they are capable of.
Like this! Liked
smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 »

Honorable mention to the officiating. We had our first female ref. Not a lot of fouls called, till late, and much less than is normal.
I think it’s obvious the conference made it a point not to call a lot of fouls this season. It’s plain to see and Neal even mentioned it a few games back.
Like this! Liked
evvracerfan
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by evvracerfan »

smidge34 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:53 am This is the 3rd season out of last 6 I’m ready for off season smh. Usually hate it but it’s getting awfully common to welcome it smh.
Four home OVC losses in a single season. That's just pathetic - even with the reductions in fans. Two weeks left in the season and we only have 2 solid wins - home vs Peay and on the road vs EKU. Those are the only wins we have against the upper half of the 24th ranked conference. As Bill Parcells said, you are what your record says you are - and we're a bad team.

I've turned off several of our games with 5 or more minutes left to go this season - that almost never happens. Last night the final straw for me was when Hill jacked up a 3 early in the shot clock when we were already something like 3-54 from beyond the arc. Our coaching staff and players showed zero basketball IQ last night.

A couple years ago I figured we were going to lose coach. Now after 3 bad seasons out of six total, the reality is that he's never going to get a bigger job. For those fans that wanted long term coaching stability - well, at our level, this is what it looks like.
Like this! Liked
msuowns
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by msuowns »

Free inbound outbound transferring after this season. We all still had a glimmer of hope until tonight. Not panicking and not emotional thinking, but we need some guys who understand what Murray State hoops is all about. YOU are hear to win championships, son. We don’t do mid pack.
Like this! Liked
"Home, home again I like to be here when I can. When I come home cold and tired, it's good to warm my bones by the fire".
smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 »

evvracerfan wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:47 am
smidge34 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:53 am This is the 3rd season out of last 6 I’m ready for off season smh. Usually hate it but it’s getting awfully common to welcome it smh.
Four home OVC losses in a single season. That's just pathetic - even with the reductions in fans. Two weeks left in the season and we only have 2 solid wins - home vs Peay and on the road vs EKU. Those are the only wins we have against the upper half of the 24th ranked conference. As Bill Parcells said, you are what your record says you are - and we're a bad team.

I've turned off several of our games with 5 or more minutes left to go this season - that almost never happens. Last night the final straw for me was when Hill jacked up a 3 early in the shot clock when we were already something like 3-54 from beyond the arc. Our coaching staff and players showed zero basketball IQ last night.

A couple years ago I figured we were going to lose coach. Now after 3 bad seasons out of six total, the reality is that he's never going to get a bigger job. For those fans that wanted long term coaching stability - well, at our level, this is what it looks like.
Let’s put it all out there on front street. We are likely going to finish 11-9 in conference play smfh, a year removed from a conference championship with the bulk of our team returning. I ask you this, what would have happened to Tevester? We all know and I was yelling for his head as loudly as anybody. Now, we aren’t going to fire a coach who just hung 3 straight banners over one pathetic season I reckon but the %&@?#% seat better be uncomfortably warm next season.
Like this! Liked
02Racer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by 02Racer »

Anyone who was questioning Rook's starting role or minutes last season still wondering about that? :lol:

The kid was a warrior and fought his ass off. Every. Single. Play.

He might not had the size or natural talent, but he had more heart and toughness than our current starting front court combined. He was also the first one to get on the young guys for a lazy play.
Like this! Liked
STLRacer
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by STLRacer »

Last season is beginning to look like the outlier with this coaching staff. We had two terrible seasons, then we had Ja and everything seemed great. He leaves and I was curious about whether or not we had a staff that could coach without having an NBA ROY/future all-star on the team. Last year happened and I really thought we were onto something and that CMM had mastered his trade. Then this... I get it, this year is whacky etc. etc. etc. HOWEVER, this is freaking Murray State Basketball and those of you that want to continue to play the we don't want to get on the coaches back game then you all play need to wake up IMO. If you take away the seasons with Ja, you know the ones where a coach really wasn't necessary because we had the best player in the history of the program and a generational talent playing 40 minutes per game, you are left with 3 out of 4 seasons where we scuffle to a close to 0r sub .500 record. Is that good enough for all of you? Even if you include the seasons with Ja, we are at 50% good and 50% at a middle of a SH%$ conference level. Is that good enough for you? I will accept the this year is weird excuse. But if this team is not at a championship level next year then this program needs a wake up and I am only looking to one place for how we make that happen.
Like this! Liked
murraygrad05
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by murraygrad05 »

evvracerfan wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:47 am

There were plenty of those early shot clock 3’s being bricked last night. Daquan fired one up on a fast break when all he had to do was drive and either draw a foul or have a lay up.

When Tevin is on, he is on. When he is off though, ugh...

I’ve probably been the biggest critic of Juice on this board but I expected a lot out of him and apparently coach does too as he lets him play through his mistakes. I guess you earn that when you average 10 points at a JUCO.

Never been more excited to follow the women’s team. They are putting together a nice year.
Like this! Liked
smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 »

Last season.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/ ... OVC_4_.pdf

This season.

Shooting is down while opponents’ is up. Double whammy. The conference is much better this season too. We’re just a middle of the pack OVC team fellas. Is what it is.
Like this! Liked
jcruse64
TRN Benchwarmer
TRN Benchwarmer

Post by jcruse64 »

smidge34 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:22 am Last season.

This season.

Shooting is down while opponents’ is up. Double whammy. The conference is much better this season too. We’re just a middle of the pack OVC team fellas. Is what it is.
Should we be, with this team, though? Is our current roster talent really middle of the pack? I don't believe so, but on the floor, it is showing up as middle of the pack.
Like this! Liked
msuowns
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by msuowns »

Too early to be bringing this up, but our hoops discussion is a downer right now. That coach Cal has a contract at UK that is 100% in his favor. If fired, Uk owes him around 55 million, that amount gradually goes down a lil bit every year. He can quit any day and not have to pay UK one penny, by the contract. I think we have the standard coach’s contract that most schools have, head coach pays 500 k or do if he accepts another job. Not sure what our buyout is, but that’s not happening. Didn’t CMM do a 3 year contract last year? I understand Ja Morant is not coming thru that door, but this is a ridiculous fall from grace.
Like this! Liked
"Home, home again I like to be here when I can. When I come home cold and tired, it's good to warm my bones by the fire".
sparekracer
TRN Benchwarmer
TRN Benchwarmer

Post by sparekracer »

I don't really want to throw anyone under the bus, and let's face it, the coaching staff has access to a lot more information than we fans do. So while it's only natural for fans to question some of the coaching decisions - let's also not pretend that fans have access to all of the information that go into those decisions.

Having said that...

The rebounding effort by this team last night was horrible. This begs a question for me when looking at the box score... Gilmore... 8 minutes. The team is not rebounding, not putting any effort into rebounding, Gilmore puts a lot of effort into rebounding especially offensive rebounds and the lack of offensive rebounding killed this team last night. Would Gilmore have made a difference? I don't know. But I look at the box score and Robinson played 34 minutes and don't misunderstand me, Robinson had a decent game. But would the game have turned out differently had Gilmore been at 18 minutes and Robinson at 24 minutes?

Looking further at the box score - Juice played 26 minutes, Bostick 11, and Smith 10. To Juice's credit he had been playing a lot better up to this game. But watching the game, it looked like he was returning back to his earlier season form. Smith may still be nursing his ankle injury, so maybe that played a role in his minutes. Bostick didn't really have a great game either, but the offense just seems to flow better when Bostick is in instead of Juice. My bigger question is, why can't Carter and Smith handle the point guard duties? They did last year. I thought Carter was recruited as a point guard, now suddenly he can only play the 2? It's like the coaching staff is banking their entire reputation on being able to turn Juice into a Morant like point guard, so they are giving him every opportunity to showcase that regardless of whether it helps or hurts the team (sound like another Kentucky based college team?)

That's my observations from last night's game. Again I don't have all of the information that the coaching staff has to determine playing time.
Like this! Liked
Explore Kentucky Lake