OVC Tournament - Format Change

This forum is for the discussion of the men's basketball team.
mojoliet
TRN Benchwarmer
TRN Benchwarmer

Re: OVC Tournament - Format Change

Post by mojoliet »

I will say, the Belmont pick went against every other at-large selection dating back to roughly 2014. There were several mid-majors in the 5 years in between with a better profile than Belmont who didn’t get in.

Belmont was so lucky to get that bid, based on the committee’s 5-year history prior.
Like this! Liked
Redbird fan who's wished Racers to Missouri Valley for a long time. :clap:
RacerPop
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by RacerPop »

Luck had nothing to do with it,just ask Rick Byrd.
Like this! Liked
SwedeDRC
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by SwedeDRC »

Speaking of Byrd today's Wapo had an artice from Fienstein(dean of all sports) on him and Belmont. It seems he quit coaching because he just didint like it anymore. He went into every game scared of losing and the wins were not satisfying. Good, Im glad he is gone.The puff piece was a testimonial of his achievements and Belmont. It did however mention the issues of the invites to the ncaa funfest and mid majors continuing to get screwed. Byrd expects this to continue.
There was a reference to "perennial OVC powers Murray State and (Im not making this up) Peay" having down years. Well, we'll see about how our down year works out in the end..Its been a long time since the words perennnial power and Peay were used in the same sentence I thnk.

Go Racers!
Like this! Liked
RacerPreacher
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by RacerPreacher »

SwedeDRC wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:58 am Speaking of Byrd today's Wapo had an artice from Fienstein(dean of all sports) on him and Belmont. It seems he quit coaching because he just didint like it anymore. He went into every game scared of losing and the wins were not satisfying. Good, Im glad he is gone.The puff piece was a testimonial of his achievements and Belmont. It did however mention the issues of the invites to the ncaa funfest and mid majors continuing to get screwed. Byrd expects this to continue.
There was a reference to "perennial OVC powers Murray State and (Im not making this up) Peay" having down years. Well, we'll see about how our down year works out in the end..Its been a long time since the words perennnial power and Peay were used in the same sentence I thnk.

Go Racers!
Hey, who can forget Peay winning the tournament as a 8 seed in 2016. They have their moments every 5 to 10 years.
Like this! Liked
“I hate to lose more than I love to win.”
SwedeDRC
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by SwedeDRC »

RP I do remember that..They were on a roll there with a really hot shooting guard. I was routing for them..Think it was the only time..lol Note to readers..I admit to routing for WKU in the 1971 NCAA tournament too.... :sick:
Like this! Liked
Tick21
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by Tick21 »

SwedeDRC wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:28 am RP I do remember that..They were on a roll there with a really hot shooting guard. I was routing for them..Think it was the only time..lol Note to readers..I admit to routing for WKU in the 1971 NCAA tournament too.... :sick:
Confession is always good for the soul. :clap:
Like this! Liked
RacerPreacher
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by RacerPreacher »

I don't think I could get behind Western unless they were playing Belmont. I have created a healthy dislike of Belmont in a short period of time.
Like this! Liked
SwedeDRC
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by SwedeDRC »

Oh for sure RP..As to wku times were different then,,,lol..Our loathing for them was pretty much unlimited and complete, the opposite of the love you have for your first serious affair. But it was good recognition for the conference. There were 8 members then btw and since we had beaten them a few weeks before we could crow. If you were not a hard core fan you knew nothing of the ovc. Nothing..

It didnt hurt that wku was stripped of their 3rd place finish soon after as one of their players had signed with an agent before /during the ncaa tournament.

This enabled us to say...Seee Seee... What did I tell you!!!! That figures. They deserve to be stripped of their tournament placing! :mrgreen:
Like this! Liked
75Fan
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by 75Fan »

SwedeDRC wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:58 am Speaking of Byrd today's Wapo had an artice from Fienstein(dean of all sports) on him and Belmont. It seems he quit coaching because he just didint like it anymore. He went into every game scared of losing and the wins were not satisfying. Good, Im glad he is gone.The puff piece was a testimonial of his achievements and Belmont. It did however mention the issues of the invites to the ncaa funfest and mid majors continuing to get screwed. Byrd expects this to continue.

Go Racers!
"Fly is open! Let's Go Peay!" :D
Like this! Liked

6 ETHICS OF LIFE

1. BEFORE YOU PRAY..........BELIEVE.
2. BEFORE YOU SPEAK.......LISTEN.
3. BEFORE YOU SPEND......EARN.
4. BEFORE YOU WRITE.......THINK.
5. BEFORE YOU QUIT...........TRY.
6. BEFORE YOU DIE.............LIVE.

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 »

I’d wear a Belmont “Byrd” jersey and root for them til I was Racer blue before I’d ever pulled for the Pillpoppers. :thumbdown: :finger: them basically.
Like this! Liked
runningracer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by runningracer »

No! I could never root for that team to the East. We beat their best basketball team in '71, and one of their best football teams 49-0 in 1980. We were beating them on a regular basis the last few years, until they decided to avoid us, so their coach did not have to explain to their fans why they couldn't beat Murray.
I would always pull for Belmont, before them, because of conference affiliation. Did I really say that? That thought makes me sick. If they played each other, the ideal result would be that they both lose. :thumbdown:
Like this! Liked
Sycamorefan96
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by Sycamorefan96 »

Why do you all hate Belmont so much?
Like this! Liked
Fan of Indiana State and Eastern Illinois.
RacerPreacher
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by RacerPreacher »

Sycamorefan96 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:34 pm Why do you all hate Belmont so much?
I hate their style of play and can’t stand their fan base that only shows up ( about 250) at the tournament and act like they own the place.
Like this! Liked
Explore Kentucky Lake