OVC Tournament - Format Change

This forum is for the discussion of the men's basketball team.
OSRacer
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

OVC Tournament - Format Change

Post by OSRacer »

Like this! Liked
smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Re: OVC Tournament - Format Change

Post by smidge34 »

Doesn’t look like another Murray/Belmont final will happen. We get the 5 IF we sweep and Peay sweeps. If I’ve got it right we get the 4 seed IF we sweep and Peay loses the last Saturday at Jax by virtue of Peay’s loss at UTM a couple Monday’s ago. Should Peay sweep as well we get the 5. Of course should UTM lose at EIU that would change EIU to the tie breaker, giving Peay the 4 in the event of a tie. Anyway, both the 4 and 5 are on the same side of the bracket as the 1.
Like this! Liked
Tick21
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by Tick21 »

Right now, we’re sixth. We would have to pass either Peay or JSU to get 4th/5th, and be on the same side of the bracket as Belmont. Of course if we win out it means we beat JSU and they still have to play at Belmont, and I’m guessing we’d have the tiebreaker over them since we beat EKU. I’m not sure who gets the tiebreaker if we end up tied with Peay? But it looks like it most likely would be us. Whether EIU or UTM finishes higher could end up being deciding factor.
Last edited by Tick21 on Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Like this! Liked
RacerPreacher
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by RacerPreacher »

I consider this very good new for us this year. We have a team that is finally coming into their own at the end of the year. They are shooting a high percentage and playing much better defense while limiting turnovers. I feel much better playing Belmont, Morehead, or Peay knowing they will have played just as many games as we have going into they game. No fresh legs with us coming in with less than 24 hours rest. I really do like our chances with this traditional format. I feel we have a really good chance to knock off some good teams in March. :goracers:
Like this! Liked
“I hate to lose more than I love to win.”
atlantaracer
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by atlantaracer »

First of all, I am shocked by this change. I know the OVC left it open to change at the beginning of the year, but unless their are additional cancellations, it looks like only the Siue vs Jax is the only make-up not being played. It does seem odd that, in the year that teams have played the most conference games ever, byes are eliminated.
We may benefit from this, but I don’t think I agree.

But for a 4 seed, it probably makes little difference. To win, you’ll still play 3 games, and likely vs 5, 1 and then championship. For a 5, it’s one less game, but also more games for the teams you play, so that’s a bigger deal late.

Does anyone know the tiebreaker. I know it’s head-to-head, followed by records vs highest seed and continuing until the tie is broken. But is record based on percentage or win/loss record? We are 0-2 vs Belmont and Head. Peay us 0-1 against those teams. By percentage, we win tiebreak vs Peay by our 1-0 vs EKU. By record, 0-2 is worse than 0-1.

A tiebreak is unlikely with Jax unless we have a game cancelled, since they are scheduled for 19 games. If Jax beats us, we are destined for a 5. However, Jax could conceivably win the remaining except losses to Belmont and us, and we tie in losses. If we have a game cancelled, it could leave us in a tie. I think we would win the tiebreak based on win vs EKU.

I couldn’t find whether it is based on record or percentage, but I think it’s percentage (so 0-1 is same as 0-2, and 2-0 same as 1-0).
Like this! Liked
smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 »

I forgot about EKU and that’s weird, our traveling partner Peay has played them twice (1-1) while we have only played them once (1-0). Peay played them Saturday January 2 and we didn’t play them that week. Weird.

BTW as already mentioned, 4 or 5 seed it’s all academic at this point. Peay will be our likely first round opponent barring something crazy.
Like this! Liked
smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 »

*It looks like Peay only played Head once.
Like this! Liked
Tick21
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by Tick21 »

smidge34 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:13 pm *It looks like Peay only played Head once.
Peay played/ plays Belmont and Morehead once. Good scheduling. :shrug:
Like this! Liked
smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 »

Wow
Like this! Liked
wkeown
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by wkeown »

It would perhaps seem disingenuous of me to say that I don't want to see another Murray State/Belmont final. But to be honest I would rather play Belmont in the second round than in the final. I think that the fresher we are, the better our chances are. Who ever gets locked into slots 3-6 is in for war in round one.

Call me selfish, but I get absolutely NO pleasure seeing any another OVC team go to the tourney. Now I do understand that financially it would be beneficial for Murray and for the OVC to get two teams in. But about the only way that is going to happen this year with these brackets is for us to square off with Belmont in the second round and beat them.

If that does happen and Belmont doesn't get an at-large, I would probably get that same look on my face that Angela gets whenever Dwight Schrute is talked about for promotion at Dunder Mifflin. I can't help it. I'm petty that way. I would LOVE to suck the air out of Belmont's season with a second round loss.
Like this! Liked
smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 »

With Belmont’s crappy OOC schedule they aren’t getting an at-large, that’s crazy talk. Samford put the exclamation point on that.
Like this! Liked
speck
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by speck »

Playing the bottom feeders in the ovc not going to get you much respect either when selection time comes.
Like this! Liked
runningracer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by runningracer »

Can't worry about who plays who. The only important game on our schedule right now is EIU.
Like this! Liked
atlantaracer
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by atlantaracer »

I don’t know if Belmont gets an at large or not with a second loss, but for the sake of the conference, I hope so.

We were all quite frustrated that we were sent to the NIT after an undefeated OVC regular season. That year, our OOC was worse than Belmont’s this year and we had no impressive wins. We should all hope that an undefeated regular season conference record and a misstep or two elsewhere that ends with a snub never happens in the OVC again.
Like this! Liked
smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 »

Peay may wind up 6th ha, just lost in OT to SEMO.
Like this! Liked
atlantaracer
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by atlantaracer »

Does anyone know whether the tiebreaker after head to head is based on percentages or records?
Like this! Liked
JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by JoeD »

atlantaracer wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:02 pm I don’t know if Belmont gets an at large or not with a second loss, but for the sake of the conference, I hope so.

We were all quite frustrated that we were sent to the NIT after an undefeated OVC regular season. That year, our OOC was worse than Belmont’s this year and we had no impressive wins. We should all hope that an undefeated regular season conference record and a misstep or two elsewhere that ends with a snub never happens in the OVC again.
I get what you’re saying, but let’s be honest, their wins OOC are against the 9th place team in the A10, 3rd place team in the ASun, 5th place team in the MVC, 9th place team in the ASun, and a loss at home to the 9th place team in the SoCon.
Like this! Liked
Americans dead by COVID-19
11/17/2020 254,329 (17 in Calloway County)

Americans lost in war

World War I- 116,516
Vietnam- 58,209
Korea- 38,616
All other American dead in every conflict since 1975 including 9/11 and Benghazi- 10,580

Some hoax
atlantaracer
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by atlantaracer »

JoeD wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:57 pm
atlantaracer wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:02 pm I don’t know if Belmont gets an at large or not with a second loss, but for the sake of the conference, I hope so.

I get what you’re saying, but let’s be honest, their wins OOC are against the 9th place team in the A10, 3rd place team in the ASun, 5th place team in the MVC, 9th place team in the ASun, and a loss at home to the 9th place team in the SoCon.
I get it joe. But our OOC included blowout losses to Xavier and Valpo, loss to 6th place WCC Portland, 10th place AC Houston, and the best win against 3rd place MVC Illinois state, followed by 4th place C USA Wasted KY. I think we should have gone that year.

Our argument was anyone who could go 16-0 in their league and win on the road should not be penalized for early OOC losses before we found our stride. If Belmont goes 20-0 with only 1 stumble early, I hope the OVC has enough respect to get an at large. Otherwise, we shouldn’t ever expect to get an at large-and you can bet it will be used against us when competing with power schools in recruiting.
Like this! Liked
smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 »

Nobody here is suggesting they shouldn’t get an at large or at least I’m not, just stating the obvious that the odds of them getting one with their OOC resume is slim to non-existent based on years of observing. Rick Byrd is why they got the last one imho.
Like this! Liked
VUGrad1314
TRN Benchwarmer
TRN Benchwarmer

Post by VUGrad1314 »

smidge34 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:45 pm Nobody here is suggesting they shouldn’t get an at large or at least I’m not, just stating the obvious that the odds of them getting one with their OOC resume is slim to non-existent based on years of observing. Rick Byrd is why they got the last one imho.
This. I think they knew he was retiring soon so they gave them that at large as sort of the Rick Byrd Lifetime Achievement Award. Fair play to them they made the most of it by winning their play in game and almost winning the first round game but I strongly felt that that was the case as well.
Like this! Liked
Explore Kentucky Lake