What's up in the Valley!

This forum is for the discussion of the men's basketball team.
smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Re: What's up in the Valley!

Post by smidge34 »

Question, if Belmont is fine with the status quo why did they leave the ASun, where they made 5 NCAA Tournament appearances in 7 years prior to joining? I think they’d be more open to jumping a sinking ship but that’s just me spitballing.
Like this! Liked
EKU05
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by EKU05 »

I actually agree that I have my doubts that Belmont is motivated enough to leave. While I think the OVC should go after Lipscomb, I wonder about where their head is right now. I have to feel like there were internal discussions within the ASUN before all of this happened because they had to know that the OVC coming after Lipscomb was a possibility. Maybe they don't care, but Lipscomb is a solid program, and from my selfish point-of-view I hope they remain in the ASUN with us.

Frankly, I'd love to see Murray in the ASUN, but I'm not sure Murray's institutional desires for football are in line with what the ASUN is building. Obviously on the basketball side (and generally across the board) they would be a great addition, but the biggest area of need right now is making sure we have a high enough number of football members.
Like this! Liked
evvracerfan
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by evvracerfan »

smidge34 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:09 am Question, if Belmont is fine with the status quo why did they leave the ASun, where they made 5 NCAA Tournament appearances in 7 years prior to joining? I think they’d be more open to jumping a sinking ship but that’s just me spitballing.
Geographic footprint/travel costs would be my guess.
Like this! Liked
evvracerfan
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by evvracerfan »

EKU05 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:14 am I actually agree that I have my doubts that Belmont is motivated enough to leave. While I think the OVC should go after Lipscomb, I wonder about where their head is right now. I have to feel like there were internal discussions within the ASUN before all of this happened because they had to know that the OVC coming after Lipscomb was a possibility. Maybe they don't care, but Lipscomb is a solid program, and from my selfish point-of-view I hope they remain in the ASUN with us.

Frankly, I'd love to see Murray in the ASUN, but I'm not sure Murray's institutional desires for football are in line with what the ASUN is building. Obviously on the basketball side (and generally across the board) they would be a great addition, but the biggest area of need right now is making sure we have a high enough number of football members.
Basketball would be the primary factor for Murray and the ASun is a really bad basketball league. These additions make them marginally better, but only to bring them up to the level that the OVC was previously IMO. Plus I agree with Joe D - I think chasing FBS football dreams is mostly fools gold these days. The power conferences don't like that they have to share the NCAA basketball tourney cash with the other "peasants" and I'm confident they're not going to allow the same thing to develop with football and that playoff money - especially given the even larger disparities among the haves and have nots in football. Chasing that dream maybe makes sense for JSU and EKU, but I don't see it happening in Murray. I hope it works out for you guys - if that's what you want as a program it certainly wasn't going to happen in the OVC.
Like this! Liked
JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by JoeD »

As far as Belmont and the MVC, I wonder how much their hall of fame coach at the time influenced their decision to rebuff advances. As such, I wonder how their young and up and coming coach feels about it.
Like this! Liked
Americans dead by COVID-19
11/17/2020 254,329 (17 in Calloway County)

Americans lost in war

World War I- 116,516
Vietnam- 58,209
Korea- 38,616
All other American dead in every conflict since 1975 including 9/11 and Benghazi- 10,580

Some hoax
Rooster
TRN Benchwarmer
TRN Benchwarmer

EKU and JSU leaving OVC

Post by Rooster »

Eastern Ky has given written notice it is leaving the OVC. Jacksonville State has given verbal notice. I have heard EKU intends to join the A-Sun conference
Like this! Liked
evvracerfan
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Re: EKU and JSU leaving OVC

Post by evvracerfan »

Rooster wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:17 am Eastern Ky has given written notice it is leaving the OVC. Jacksonville State has given verbal notice. I have heard EKU intends to join the A-Sun conference
Stop the presses!!! We have a news flash!!! :lol:
Like this! Liked
msuowns
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Re: EKU and JSU leaving OVC

Post by msuowns »

EKU going to play football in the WAC next season only.
Like this! Liked
"Home, home again I like to be here when I can. When I come home cold and tired, it's good to warm my bones by the fire".
EKU05
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by EKU05 »

evvracerfan wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:44 am
EKU05 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:14 am I actually agree that I have my doubts that Belmont is motivated enough to leave. While I think the OVC should go after Lipscomb, I wonder about where their head is right now. I have to feel like there were internal discussions within the ASUN before all of this happened because they had to know that the OVC coming after Lipscomb was a possibility. Maybe they don't care, but Lipscomb is a solid program, and from my selfish point-of-view I hope they remain in the ASUN with us.

Basketball would be the primary factor for Murray and the ASun is a really bad basketball league. These additions make them marginally better, but only to bring them up to the level that the OVC was previously IMO. Plus I agree with Joe D - I think chasing FBS football dreams is mostly fools gold these days. The power conferences don't like that they have to share the NCAA basketball tourney cash with the other "peasants" and I'm confident they're not going to allow the same thing to develop with football and that playoff money - especially given the even larger disparities among the haves and have nots in football. Chasing that dream maybe makes sense for JSU and EKU, but I don't see it happening in Murray. I hope it works out for you guys - if that's what you want as a program it certainly wasn't going to happen in the OVC.
The ASUN is a "really bad basketball league" that was higher than the OVC in every computer ranking just last year...and is gaining a few solid programs (plus Bellarmine who is looking pretty darn competitive with just the team they brought from D2). It's not great, but it's not generally worse than the OVC at this point at least in terms of quality of play. The OVC has better fan support, and that's what I'll miss the most.

Don't get me wrong, if Murray gets the chance to go the MVC they shouldn't pass it up. That's a way better fit than the ASUN could ever hope to be. But if the MVC doesn't come calling and the OVC continues to lose teams (I'm hearing the ASUN will be at 7-8 football schools this time next year) then it might not be the worst thing.

But I'm in no way predicting it will happen. In fact, I'm virtually certain it won't.
Like this! Liked
SwedeDRC
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by SwedeDRC »

evvracerfan wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:03 am I'm not sure I believe Belmont is wanting to jump ship from the OVC. They like being a big fish in a small pond and they would probably be OK with the OVC becoming a mud puddle instead of a pond. These departures and Murray's probable departure makes the league even more Nashville-centric - the league becomes Belmont and the Belmont-ettes. Pick up Lipscomb and maybe another bottom feeder or two and Belmont makes the NCAA tourney 8 out of 10 years, and as an added bonus, you have your very own puppet for a commissioner. For a program with little discernable fan base, what more could you ask for? They don't have a football program to worry about. Their biggest concern becomes keeping enough programs interested in maintaining membership in a garbage conference to keep the OVC afloat, and lets face it - in terms of facilities, budgets, and on-court success - about half the current OVC has already proven it would be fine with that status. If Peay and Morehead leave with Murray State, though - then the league's survival is highly questionable.
Think you sumed up belmont's situation pretty well! If this plays out like you suggest, belmont would be the Queen Bee of the ovc. Most of the conference games would be practice preceeding the conference winner corronation. The invite to the ncaa funfest in March assured most years. What a comfort that would be to their dozens of fans too!
Like this! Liked
Kentucky Lake
TRN Signee
TRN Signee

Post by Kentucky Lake »

Sagarin Ratings Comparison

OVC Now: 66.09 / 24th
Without EKU, JSU: 65.23 / 26th

ASUN Now: 63.99 / 28th
With EKU, JSU, CA: 64.91 / 26th

Make no mistake, this is a blow to the OVC and the conference has become weaker.
Like this! Liked
"This is Murray State. Regardless of who we have I don’t see how you could pick us eighth. It’s disrespectful to us. We should never be picked worse than third. I don’t care who we have." - Shawn Witherspoon, 9-19-06
evvracerfan
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by evvracerfan »

SwedeDRC wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:58 am
evvracerfan wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:03 am I'm not sure I believe Belmont is wanting to jump ship from the OVC. They like being a big fish in a small pond and they would probably be OK with the OVC becoming a mud puddle instead of a pond. These departures and Murray's probable departure makes the league even more Nashville-centric - the league becomes Belmont and the Belmont-ettes. Pick up Lipscomb and maybe another bottom feeder or two and Belmont makes the NCAA tourney 8 out of 10 years, and as an added bonus, you have your very own puppet for a commissioner. For a program with little discernable fan base, what more could you ask for? They don't have a football program to worry about. Their biggest concern becomes keeping enough programs interested in maintaining membership in a garbage conference to keep the OVC afloat, and lets face it - in terms of facilities, budgets, and on-court success - about half the current OVC has already proven it would be fine with that status. If Peay and Morehead leave with Murray State, though - then the league's survival is highly questionable.
Think you sumed up belmont's situation pretty well! If this plays out like you suggest, belmont would be the Queen Bee of the ovc. Most of the conference games would be practice preceeding the conference winner corronation. The invite to the ncaa funfest in March assured most years. What a comfort that would be to their dozens of fans too!
All anyone can do at this point is guess - there's so much change coming soon due to dramatic revenue cuts for everyone that the only thing that is certain is the uncertainty. Some conferences will grow, some will shrink or go away completely, and maybe we'll see new options arise as programs no longer able to financially compete at prior levels seek better sustainability. Some programs will leave D1 competition altogether. My ideal situation would be that a new conference arises out of the ashes of the OVC that jettisons the D2 level programs in the OVC while adding several other regional programs that are traditionally more competitive in basketball, but maybe I'd be better off wishing for a pet unicorn.
Like this! Liked
sigchimsu99
TRN Benchwarmer
TRN Benchwarmer

Post by sigchimsu99 »

While your wishing.....Get two unicorns and a 3pt percentage above 35% for our Racers. I mean if you are gonna wish....Wish big.
Like this! Liked
smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 »

Kentucky Lake wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:45 pm Sagarin Ratings Comparison

OVC Now: 66.09 / 24th
Without EKU, JSU: 65.23 / 26th

ASUN Now: 63.99 / 28th
With EKU, JSU, CA: 64.91 / 26th

Make no mistake, this is a blow to the OVC and the conference has become weaker.
Doesn’t surprise me a bit, the ASuck is an awful basketball conference and that’s with EKU having a once every decade or two season. I’ll take a hard pass.
Like this! Liked
JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by JoeD »

Did I read that correctly? Losing both JSU and EKU and the OVC is still ahead of the ASUN?
Like this! Liked
Americans dead by COVID-19
11/17/2020 254,329 (17 in Calloway County)

Americans lost in war

World War I- 116,516
Vietnam- 58,209
Korea- 38,616
All other American dead in every conflict since 1975 including 9/11 and Benghazi- 10,580

Some hoax
SoILRacer
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by SoILRacer »

MVC, please. :thumbup: I’ll never stop dreaming. I don’t care what any of y’all say. Lol
Like this! Liked
mojoliet
TRN Benchwarmer
TRN Benchwarmer

Post by mojoliet »

This is the guy who reported all the WAC/ASUN realignment before any of the big wigs. He’s hearing WIU to OVC.

Like this! Liked
Redbird fan who's wished Racers to Missouri Valley for a long time. :clap:
mojoliet
TRN Benchwarmer
TRN Benchwarmer

Post by mojoliet »

SoILRacer wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:39 pm MVC, please. :thumbup: I’ll never stop dreaming. I don’t care what any of y’all say. Lol
Many MVC fans haven’t stopped dreaming either. Still remember the Add Murray St signs at Arch Madness.
Like this! Liked
mojoliet
TRN Benchwarmer
TRN Benchwarmer

Post by mojoliet »

JoeD wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:11 am As far as Belmont and the MVC, I wonder how much their hall of fame coach at the time influenced their decision to rebuff advances. As such, I wonder how their young and up and coming coach feels about it.
I have no idea how Casey Alexander feels, but I did hear multiple times Rick Byrd had no interest moving the program.
Like this! Liked
VUGrad1314
TRN Benchwarmer
TRN Benchwarmer

Post by VUGrad1314 »

Even with the football-centric direction taken by the A-Sun I have a lot of trouble believing that Lipscomb and Bellarmine would jump ship to a league that their current league is actively pulling members from. This actually helps their travel issues by reducing the likelihood of trips to Florida through divisional play. The cost savings will probably not be that great and making a lateral move in terms of conference strength doesn't make sense even if the league would be more basketball centric. Especially knowing as we all do that other departures from the OVC may be coming. I lurked on the EKU board and saw that they actually believe that the A-Sun might be able to achieve AQ status from the jump with their AD supposedly preaching patience when it came to the announcement of a sixth member. That leads me to believe that another football playing member (or members) could be coming aboard possibly from the OVC. If the OVC were able to add WIU then the A-Sun could grab two (Peay and Tech?) without damaging the OVC auto-bid. There have been rumors of Peay possibly being in on this. Add to it the fact that WIU moving to the OVC is not good for basketball, neither is losing Peay. Football might be driving the bus here, but the A-Sun could very easily use that formula to build a league that would be better than the OVC in basketball. All it would take is for a school like Austin Peay to come aborad which we all know is possible. And\or an addition like WIU to the OVC which would hurt the metrics of the conference both of which have been rumored.

As for Belmont I have read a poster on a national realignment board who says that Belmont is actively looking to grow and expand its institutional profile and suggests (without substantiation) that they might look to better their athletics situation in furtherance of those goals. Obviously we'll need more than that, but it doesn't seem so farfetched to believe that Belmont COULD be willing to make the jump now. Whether that's to the MVC or the SOCON remains to be seen but while the SOCON would be the best fit for them, they have not shown much indication that they are looking for members while the MVC has and as we know Belmont recruits the midwest fairly hard. Consistently playing games in Indiana Illinois Iowa and Missouri could really help those efforts while the prestige of a stronger conference affiliation will be more attractive as well to local recruits. I do think the departure of Byrd could very well reflect a philosophical shift for Belmont as well but that could just be an assumption on my part born out of a strongly pro-expansion viewpoint. None of this is an open and shut slam dunk case for Belmont making the move but I'm saying that it could be very possible especially if the OVC loses another school and if that school is from Tennessee which would break the Tennessee bloc. Another thing to consider is this: If charter members like EKU and Murray State can A: Leave the conference outright (EKU) or B: get wandering eyes (Murray State) And longstanding members like Austin Peay be involved in serious rumors of leaving why can't or shouldn't a Johnny Come Lately like Belmont?
Like this! Liked
Explore Kentucky Lake