Post Season Options and Virus Discussion

This forum is for the discussion of sports in general, both regarding Murray State athletics and other local, regional, national or world sports.
Post Reply
wallaceracer
TRN MVP
TRN MVP
Posts: 560
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:04 pm
x 363

Re: Post Season Options

Post by wallaceracer » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:35 pm

My daughter came home from school yesterday (1st grade) and said they weren't allowed to hug, shake hands, high five, or have any close physical contact with their friends. They were instructed to "bump elbows" or to practice just waving to their friends. I thought hey that's not a bad idea. Why don't they do that every flu season? Things are way out of hand, but maybe people will take some lessons and apply them every year to the ordinary flu.
Like this! Liked

User avatar
02Racer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American
Posts: 3107
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:47 pm
Location: Murray
x 1659

Re: Post Season Options

Post by 02Racer » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:36 pm

Kentucky Lake wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:44 pm
Wonder what the ESPN family of networks plan to air over the next couple of months? You know, since life as we know it is cancelled.
Live NBA2K 20 games
Like this! Liked
109

User avatar
JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend
Posts: 8016
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:07 pm
x 1602

Re: Post Season Options

Post by JoeD » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:37 pm

The short answer is they probably were.

And you have to understand that at this point, the US is dangerously under tested. What we have heard about are the very small number of confirmed cases and presumed positives. If early days in Italy and China are the example, there could be as many as 100,000 cases still not diagnosed. The spreadability of a disease is called R0 (R Naught). COVID-19 has a R0 of 2-3.1 according to estimates (again with the lack of testing and the fact that viruses are constantly evolving). Seasonal flu has an R0 of 1.3 while Norovirus (commonly called stomach flu) has an R0 of 1.6-3.7.

Long story short- this stuff is highly contagious and we don’t know who all has it. Keeping people out of large groups is absolutely necessary.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vox.co ... rus-charts
Like this! Liked
Im old enough to remember when being "politically correct" was understood to mean "not being a complete, racist, xenophobic a-hole". Good times...

User avatar
racerlover
TRN All-American
TRN All-American
Posts: 2453
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:25 am
Location: Murray, KY.
x 608

Re: Post Season Options

Post by racerlover » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:39 pm

wallaceracer wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:35 pm
My daughter came home from school yesterday (1st grade) and said they weren't allowed to hug, shake hands, high five, or have any close physical contact with their friends. They were instructed to "bump elbows" or to practice just waving to their friends. I thought hey that's not a bad idea. Why don't they do that every flu season? Things are way out of hand, but maybe people will take some lessons and apply them every year to the ordinary flu.
Exactly!!! If people took precautions year round, you might see flu and other viruses drop in numbers down to rare cases. But this will pass eventually and everyone will quickly forget
Like this! Liked

User avatar
Tick21
TRN All-American
TRN All-American
Posts: 2205
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:56 pm
x 258

Re: Post Season Options

Post by Tick21 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:47 pm

Let me start, by I appreciate all the links and information about the different viruses, because I'll be the first to admit I don't know much about it, except for the numbers I see. But again, if cancelling everything and going into lockdown mode (even where there haven't been any cases reported) is the right thing to do, why didn't this happen a month ago?

And as for this going away quickly, I sure hope your right, but I'm not sure some will let it go quickly. Hope I'm wrong.
Like this! Liked

User avatar
Tick21
TRN All-American
TRN All-American
Posts: 2205
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:56 pm
x 258

Re: Post Season Options

Post by Tick21 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:53 pm

As for numbers, earlier tonight I heard there are 37 deaths in the U.S., and 29 are from the state of Washington. Make what you will out of those numbers, but I don't think there are any unreported deaths. Update 40 deaths, and only 9 outside of the state of Washington.
Like this! Liked

User avatar
msuowns
TRN Legend
TRN Legend
Posts: 5806
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:57 pm
Location: Paducah
x 625

Re: Post Season Options

Post by msuowns » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:05 pm

JoeD wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:37 pm
The short answer is they probably were.

And you have to understand that at this point, the US is dangerously under tested. What we have heard about are the very small number of confirmed cases and presumed positives. If early days in Italy and China are the example, there could be as many as 100,000 cases still not diagnosed. The spreadability of a disease is called R0 (R Naught). COVID-19 has a R0 of 2-3.1 according to estimates (again with the lack of testing and the fact that viruses are constantly evolving). Seasonal flu has an R0 of 1.3 while Norovirus (commonly called stomach flu) has an R0 of 1.6-3.7.

Long story short- this stuff is highly contagious and we don’t know who all has it. Keeping people out of large groups is absolutely necessary.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vox.co ... rus-charts
Its said the virus last up to 3 hours just floating around in the air. No pre cautions will stop that. anybody can get it. That quilt show isn't happening, right now Paducah is virus free or we hope so.
Like this! Liked
"Home, home again I like to be here when I can. When I come home cold and tired, it's good to warm my bones by the fire".

Racerband Alum
TRN POY
TRN POY
Posts: 1833
Joined: Thu May 11, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: Nashville
x 60

Re: Post Season Options

Post by Racerband Alum » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:12 pm

Sad to see no sports for the next couple weeks. I was in Portland,Oregon this past weekend and they said a large amount the Seattle deaths are all at one Washington nursing home.
Like this! Liked
MSU Racerband Best in OVC.

jayinbama
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup
Posts: 453
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:14 pm
Location: Huntsville, Alabama
x 210
Contact:

Re: Post Season Options

Post by jayinbama » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:17 pm

TSSAA just cancelled state basketball,tournament.
Like this! Liked

User avatar
racerlover
TRN All-American
TRN All-American
Posts: 2453
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:25 am
Location: Murray, KY.
x 608

Re: Post Season Options

Post by racerlover » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:05 pm

For perspective, the regular flu virus stays in the air for hours as well. Maybe it's all overblown, maybe not. No one knows really. That's the bad part.
Like this! Liked

murraygrad05
TRN MVP
TRN MVP
Posts: 950
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:57 pm
x 809

Re: Post Season Options

Post by murraygrad05 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:39 pm

From my reading and research I have seen is that at a very young age we usually are subjected to a form of the corona virus and our bodies develop an immunity response to it. A common cold is considered a type of corona virus. This is just a mutation of that virus that attacks the throat and could turn in to pneumonia if not treated. Drinking warm liquids forces the virus in to the stomach and the stomach acid destroys it in a matter of days. Also from what I have read there probably will not be a “cure” as there is no cure for a common cold. You can only treat the symptoms.

The geriatric population, especially if in nursing homes, usually spend most of the day in bed or their room. The body’s metabolism slows down and the attack response is not as strong as it is for a say healthy 10 to 30 year old with no underlying problems.

It will pass but it’s not going to be next week or anything that quick.
Like this! Liked

SwedeDRC
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man
Posts: 209
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:39 am
x 154

Re: Post Season Options

Post by SwedeDRC » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:54 am

jhughes42071 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:04 pm
So the NCAA tournament is cancelled. Belmont wins the OVC tournament and still doesn’t play in the big dance. Is God a Racer?


Too soon?
I was sort of hoping they would stick with the idea of no fans at the games...and sending b'mont to the Spokane, WASHINGTON NCAA game site appealed to me. But then I thought no fans is pretty much normal for them so it wouldnt have any effect. Still Spokane is appealing ...alas..not to be..

On the other hand, since there will be zero $$$ disributed, all is not lost. I shouldnt be so pessimistic.
Like this! Liked

User avatar
ERacerHead
TRN MVP
TRN MVP
Posts: 935
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:10 pm
x 81

Re: Post Season Options

Post by ERacerHead » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:11 am

Guess there are no more sports period this spring at MSU. The OVC has suspended all athletic competitions. No home softball, tennis or baseball today at MSU. I really feel sorry for our seniors to see their season end before it even begins...

The OVC Board of Presidents have announced that effective immediately OVC member institutions will suspend athletic-related activities including all competition, and formal practices until further notice due to the COVID-19 public health threat.
Like this! Liked

User avatar
racerlover
TRN All-American
TRN All-American
Posts: 2453
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:25 am
Location: Murray, KY.
x 608

Re: Post Season Options

Post by racerlover » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:16 am

I'm not understanding the NASCAR and golf issues. Golf is shut down completely, but they are outdoors and there's really not a heap of spectators unless it's a major. NASCAR is still running, but with zero fans. Again, they are outdoors, not many touch points and most fans are so full of booze, no virus should be able to live there. :lol:

I guarantee the derby will be shut down soon.
Like this! Liked

User avatar
smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT
Posts: 11212
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:52 am
Location: Follow me on Twitter: @Smidge342003
x 4796

Re: Post Season Options

Post by smidge34 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:33 am

The goal is to keep as many people as possible at home as much as possible.

If there’s a silver lining it’s that the athletic department will save a bunch of cash this semester.
Like this! Liked

User avatar
75Fan
TRN Legend
TRN Legend
Posts: 8042
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:39 am
x 1959

Re: Post Season Options

Post by 75Fan » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:06 pm



A good and practical video about protecting you and your loved ones.
Like this! Liked


6 ETHICS OF LIFE

1. BEFORE YOU PRAY..........BELIEVE.
2. BEFORE YOU SPEAK.......LISTEN.
3. BEFORE YOU SPEND......EARN.
4. BEFORE YOU WRITE.......THINK.
5. BEFORE YOU QUIT...........TRY.
6. BEFORE YOU DIE.............LIVE.


User avatar
JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend
Posts: 8016
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:07 pm
x 1602

Re: Post Season Options

Post by JoeD » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:21 pm

msuowns wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:05 pm
JoeD wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:37 pm
The short answer is they probably were.

And you have to understand that at this point, the US is dangerously under tested. What we have heard about are the very small number of confirmed cases and presumed positives. If early days in Italy and China are the example, there could be as many as 100,000 cases still not diagnosed. The spreadability of a disease is called R0 (R Naught). COVID-19 has a R0 of 2-3.1 according to estimates (again with the lack of testing and the fact that viruses are constantly evolving). Seasonal flu has an R0 of 1.3 while Norovirus (commonly called stomach flu) has an R0 of 1.6-3.7.

Long story short- this stuff is highly contagious and we don’t know who all has it. Keeping people out of large groups is absolutely necessary.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vox.co ... rus-charts
Its said the virus last up to 3 hours just floating around in the air. No pre cautions will stop that. anybody can get it. That quilt show isn't happening, right now Paducah is virus free or we hope so.
If this is proven out, expect this to increase the R0 factor of the disease.
Like this! Liked
Im old enough to remember when being "politically correct" was understood to mean "not being a complete, racist, xenophobic a-hole". Good times...

murraygrad05
TRN MVP
TRN MVP
Posts: 950
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:57 pm
x 809

Re: Post Season Options

Post by murraygrad05 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:42 pm

Really glad this plan didn’t go through...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ap-exclusive ... 41839.html
Like this! Liked

User avatar
75Fan
TRN Legend
TRN Legend
Posts: 8042
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:39 am
x 1959

Re: Post Season Options

Post by 75Fan » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:04 pm




Good info on the "numbers" of Covid19.
Like this! Liked


6 ETHICS OF LIFE

1. BEFORE YOU PRAY..........BELIEVE.
2. BEFORE YOU SPEAK.......LISTEN.
3. BEFORE YOU SPEND......EARN.
4. BEFORE YOU WRITE.......THINK.
5. BEFORE YOU QUIT...........TRY.
6. BEFORE YOU DIE.............LIVE.


User avatar
75Fan
TRN Legend
TRN Legend
Posts: 8042
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:39 am
x 1959

Re: Post Season Options

Post by 75Fan » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:24 pm

Tick21 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:53 pm
As for numbers, earlier tonight I heard there are 37 deaths in the U.S.....

5 days later.....


Updated numbers from CDC as of March 17, 2020 @ 4:00 PM.....

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... in-us.html
COVID-19: U.S. at a Glance*

Total cases: 7,038
Total deaths: 97
Jurisdictions reporting cases: 54 (50 states, District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Guam, and US Virgin Islands)

* Data include both confirmed and presumptive positive cases of COVID-19 reported to CDC or tested at CDC since January 21, 2020, with the exception of testing results for persons repatriated to the United States from Wuhan, China and Japan. State and local public health departments are now testing and publicly reporting their cases. In the event of a discrepancy between CDC cases and cases reported by state and local public health officials, data reported by states should be considered the most up to date.
Like this! Liked


6 ETHICS OF LIFE

1. BEFORE YOU PRAY..........BELIEVE.
2. BEFORE YOU SPEAK.......LISTEN.
3. BEFORE YOU SPEND......EARN.
4. BEFORE YOU WRITE.......THINK.
5. BEFORE YOU QUIT...........TRY.
6. BEFORE YOU DIE.............LIVE.


Post Reply
Explore Kentucky Lake