Post Season Options and Virus Discussion

This forum is for the discussion of sports in general, both regarding Murray State athletics and other local, regional, national or world sports.
Sycamorefan96
TRN Benchwarmer
TRN Benchwarmer

Re: Post Season Options

Post by Sycamorefan96 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:32 pm

MVC just cancelled baseball through the 30th of this month. I'm hopeful the OVC plays on, but I sort of have my doubts. The good thing for baseball is that with 11 teams the OVC is already playing conference games so it doesn't really matter what everyone else does.
Like this! Liked
Fan of Indiana State and Eastern Illinois.

jayinbama
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by jayinbama » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:35 pm

Kansas and Duke are not going to play, so,that tells what's,coming.
Like this! Liked

VUGrad1314
TRN Benchwarmer
TRN Benchwarmer

Post by VUGrad1314 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:47 pm

CIT is done. Our beat writer just tweeted it about an hour ago.
Like this! Liked

wallaceracer
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by wallaceracer » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:48 pm

msuowns wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:17 pm
murraygrad05 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:05 pm
So can we go ahead and claim the NIT and are the champs?

I don’t see any way around the NCAA just cutting the cord and start planning for next year. This thing is not going away in a week.
Maybe enough teams will refuse the NIT and we get in.
The NCAA runs the NIT Tournament also, so I'd say if one goes away they both go away.
Like this! Liked

VUGrad1314
TRN Benchwarmer
TRN Benchwarmer

Post by VUGrad1314 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:52 pm

They need to. It's the right thing to do. If professional leagues aren't playing. If kids can't go to class. If conferences are suspending and cancelling ALL athletic competitions including major schools then there is zero justification for colleges to play in any athletic competition.
Like this! Liked

VUGrad1314
TRN Benchwarmer
TRN Benchwarmer

Post by VUGrad1314 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:54 pm

75Fan wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:43 am
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/summary.html

The above link provides up to date info from the Centers for Disease Control on the coronavirus, symptoms, precautions to take, what to do if you or someone you know gets it as well as other pertinent epidemiological information.

I encourage everyone to read it - often.

Knowledge is power.

Note to Admin : feel free to make this a sticky if you so desire.
75Fan wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:48 am
https://www.who.int/emergencies/disease ... n-reports/

The above link shows info from the World Health Organization on the global impact of the coronavirus.
75Fan wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:56 am
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... index.html

Quick links to needed info.
I hope you don't mind but I've taken these and am spreading them to boards I post on and social media. I hope that's okay but I feel like this is information that needs to be widely disseminated and people need to know. Thank you for bringing this to my attention and I hope you don't mind me carrying it further.
Like this! Liked

75Fan
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by 75Fan » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:06 pm

Please do!
Like this! Liked

6 ETHICS OF LIFE

1. BEFORE YOU PRAY..........BELIEVE.
2. BEFORE YOU SPEAK.......LISTEN.
3. BEFORE YOU SPEND......EARN.
4. BEFORE YOU WRITE.......THINK.
5. BEFORE YOU QUIT...........TRY.
6. BEFORE YOU DIE.............LIVE.

VUGrad1314
TRN Benchwarmer
TRN Benchwarmer

Post by VUGrad1314 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:31 pm

That's it and that's all... The tournament and all winter\ Spring sports championships are cancelled... It's the right thing to do...
Like this! Liked

racerlover
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by racerlover » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:38 pm

So no tournament money to the conferences this year? Uh oh. The OVC brass will be on food stamps. :lol:
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:58 pm

Yeah I guess CBS will expect the NCAA to refund a prorated amount. Be interesting to know the contract terms.
Like this! Liked

JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by JoeD » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:59 pm

I would bet there are “act of God” clauses that spell it out.
Like this! Liked
Im old enough to remember when being "politically correct" was understood to mean "not being a complete, racist, xenophobic a-hole". Good times...

VUGrad1314
TRN Benchwarmer
TRN Benchwarmer

Post by VUGrad1314 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:01 pm

I doubt any money changes hands for this year because of what JoeD spelled out.
Like this! Liked

jhughes42071
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by jhughes42071 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:04 pm

So the NCAA tournament is cancelled. Belmont wins the OVC tournament and still doesn’t play in the big dance. Is God a Racer?

Too soon?
Like this! Liked

Kentucky Lake
TRN Recruit
TRN Recruit

Post by Kentucky Lake » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:44 pm

Wonder what the ESPN family of networks plan to air over the next couple of months? You know, since life as we know it is cancelled.
Like this! Liked
"This is Murray State. Regardless of who we have I don’t see how you could pick us eighth. It’s disrespectful to us. We should never be picked worse than third. I don’t care who we have." - Shawn Witherspoon, 9-19-06

VUGrad1314
TRN Benchwarmer
TRN Benchwarmer

Post by VUGrad1314 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:57 pm

Maybe this is good for society. It's a chance for us to reassess our priorities as a society reinvent ourselves as individuals and discover passions and talents we never knew we had. Taken correctly this is a moment of great opportunity for the human race that can inspire tremendous social change and make the human condition and experience richer and better for everyone. As bummed as I am that there won't be any sports on TV I'm also excited. It feels like a new beginning for us all if we want it. So what are you going to do with this time? Ask yourselves and then make it happen! Sports will return and when they come back we can emerge and embrace them as better people!
Like this! Liked

jcruse64
TRN Signee
TRN Signee

Post by jcruse64 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:32 pm

I love college B'ball, and this is my favorite sports time of the year. I'll admit that I was not liking the talk up of non-spectator games and then cancelling games and tournaments last weekend into Monday. But, looking at it more rationally since Monday, I think it's a tough but good call to have made, for the conferences, NCAA, and the pros. When you get multiple 10000+ attendee events in multiple locations, where many of the attendees are traveling to them with mass transportation (air) and staying in multi-occupant lodgings, it would only take one infected person at a location to press elevator buttons, grab handrails, use bathroom facilities, etc and spread the virus to a TON of other people, who will then connect in their own, multiple interactions afterwards. Whether the corona v or Flu-A or Flu-B from this year, it's a situation that really would be hard to design any better to guarantee large-scale transmission. With no vaccine and a general lack of good hygiene (not to mention the sudden lack of toilet paper), it's not good.

I just look at Italy, and how quickly it's bloomed there, and I think, why would we want to repeat that?? And who knows what's REALLY going on in China, Iran, and Iraq? Heard this morning that El Salvador has closed its borders, after finding corona there. There is a local group of teens from PTHS down there right now, sponsored by Starfish, on a mission trip, and cannot leave right now.

Hope all of you stay healthy and safe, and find plenty of toilet paper. I think I'll use my new spare time to go buy corn cobbs and start selling on eBay as a safe, green, organic replacement for TP :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:05 pm

Selfishly, my 70 year old mother who’s been susceptible to bronchitis her entire existence worries me more than anything.
Like this! Liked

racerlover
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by racerlover » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:22 pm

Another question...are they going to sanitize every arena (including ours) after the outbreak is over? That's a monumental task for a place like, let's say, Bridgestone Arena.
Like this! Liked

murraygrad05
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by murraygrad05 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:45 pm

Cancelling to me still sounds a bit extreme. I think a postponement should have been suggested. Yes it’s bad in China/Italy, but you have to keep in mind the demographics of the overall health of the population.

Think I read that China has the highest rate of lung cancer diagnosis due to 90% of the population being smokers. Italy’s healthcare facilities are also not as advanced.

30 day postponement and then reassess and if still not improved then cancel.
Like this! Liked

Tick21
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by Tick21 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:23 pm

murraygrad05 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:45 pm
Cancelling to me still sounds a bit extreme. I think a postponement should have been suggested. Yes it’s bad in China/Italy, but you have to keep in mind the demographics of the overall health of the population.

Think I read that China has the highest rate of lung cancer diagnosis due to 90% of the population being smokers. Italy’s healthcare facilities are also not as advanced.

30 day postponement and then reassess and if still not improved then cancel.
I agree. And how premature is cancelling spring sports and their championships. I'm sorry, but I really don't get it. We have school cancellations in western Kentucky, yet there are no cases. I just spent an entire day at a hospital with my father-in-law today, and I asked four separate nurses what they thought of the corovovirus. Everyone of them said they thought it was hysteria and overhyped. Two of them said the same thing I've thought, where are all these precautions with the regular flu, it is also highly dangerous to these same folks plus the young, which somehow this virus hardly touches. If these measures are the right thing to do, why weren't they the right thing to do a month ago?
Like this! Liked

Explore Kentucky Lake