RACERS @ Austin Peay Game Thread

This forum is for the discussion of the men's basketball team.
75Fan
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Re: RACERS @ Austin Peay Game Thread

Post by 75Fan » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:40 pm

Gotta take care of the ball!!! :bang:

AP's STORTO = +7
Our STORTO = -5

We can't do that against good competition. Our guards don't appear to have the handles necessary to attack aggressive defenders and coughed the ball up on numerous possessions.

We played a good game but giving a good opponent that many more opportunities to score will keep your back against the wall.

A tip of the Governor's Hat to Peay for doing whatever it took to win against a very tough opponent. :salute:

Adams, Paez and Abaev are a nice complement to Taylor.

We need to shoot 500 Free Throws a day and get better at the charity stripe!

As for 3-D ball, we could only muster 1-D ball as only Daquan had a positive NET rating.

Great effort from Mr. Eaves tonight though. Well done, Sir!

Not quite sure why Demond only got 10 minutes of PT tonight or why Holliday isn't looking to score. After 24 games, he only has 21 points despite playing 305 minutes.

On to Saturday!
Like this! Liked

6 ETHICS OF LIFE

1. BEFORE YOU PRAY..........BELIEVE.
2. BEFORE YOU SPEAK.......LISTEN.
3. BEFORE YOU SPEND......EARN.
4. BEFORE YOU WRITE.......THINK.
5. BEFORE YOU QUIT...........TRY.
6. BEFORE YOU DIE.............LIVE.

RacerPreacher
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by RacerPreacher » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:06 am

I have to say I met the nicest Peay fan tonight sitting behind me and my boys. We had the best conversation all through the game. Very refreshing and gives me hope that people with differing views in this world really can get along. But back to basketball. :goracers:
Like this! Liked
“I hate to lose more than I love to win.”

Racer2112
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by Racer2112 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:38 am

I’m going to ignore the reffing for a moment (even though it is all I want to rant about) and focus on what we could have done to win that game. We have got to get our backcourt turnovers under control. Our only two losses in the conference have come because our guards not taking care of the ball. We are missing out on possessions, and (possibly) worse our turnovers generally lead to good scoring looks for the other team. Clean that up and we win last night and we will win the league.

We left way too many points sitting at the free throw line from good shooters. Unacceptable.

The last point I have on this is execution down the stretch. I’ve execution, especially in crunch time, has been a strength of this team and last night we did not do a good job of it. Quan hit that 3 and I don’t think we got a look that CMM wanted the rest of the game. We needed a little more composure at the end.

I feel good about chances against Peay from here on out. Smith did a fantastic job on Terry Taylor. We sort out the above issues and APSU loses by 10.

Now...the refs.

They were atrocious. They were not the reason we lost the game. I think it could have been a different result with better refs, but there was a lot we could have done better that is under our control.

How do you T up CMM for that? If the refs skin is that thin he needs to get a new profession.

Terry Taylor is an excellent player, but every time they do that cute little lob he starts by sealing his man (which is legal) and then pushes off (which is not). Always with one hand, often with two. He got a different whistle than any other player on the court last night.

The screen Quanny got hammered was a dirty play. The APSU big threw his shoulder into him. I don’t know if I seen head contact like that and OVC officials not review it, but here we are. It was definitely an offensive foul, I’m not sure if it was flagrant or not.

There a lot of other missed or inconsistently called violations. You could tell players couldn’t figure out how adapt to the whistle since it changed every trip down the court. It was a very frustrating viewing experience and even more frustrating it is just another night in the OVC...
Like this! Liked

Racer2112
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by Racer2112 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:54 am

Just went back over the box score and our free throws weren’t as bad as it felt watching it. It felt like we were around 50%, but we were actually at 65%. Room for improvement there, but not terrible.
Like this! Liked

msuowns
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by msuowns » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:54 am

https://www.prephoops.com/2018/10/jordy ... ke-and-qa/ I was intrigued on why he committed to Baylor and have offers from TCU and OK State, plus other Texas schools and ended up at AP. A highschool teammate also signed with him. Nice catch for an impact freshman.
Like this! Liked
"Home, home again I like to be here when I can. When I come home cold and tired, it's good to warm my bones by the fire".

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:09 am

Turnovers were the difference. Our teams struggle when we struggle against competition at the point guard position. Honestly I can’t imagine Murray State ever struggling at PG but here we are smh.
Like this! Liked

Dan T
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by Dan T » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:35 am

75Fan wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:40 pm
Gotta take care of the ball!!! :bang:

AP's STORTO = +7
Our STORTO = -5

We can't do that against good competition. Our guards don't appear to have the handles necessary to attack aggressive defenders and coughed the ball up on numerous possessions.

We played a good game but giving a good opponent that many more opportunities to score will keep your back against the wall.

A tip of the Governor's Hat to Peay for doing whatever it took to win against a very tough opponent. :salute:

Adams, Paez and Abaev are a nice complement to Taylor.

We need to shoot 500 Free Throws a day and get better at the charity stripe!

As for 3-D ball, we could only muster 1-D ball as only Daquan had a positive NET rating.

Great effort from Mr. Eaves tonight though. Well done, Sir!

Not quite sure why Demond only got 10 minutes of PT tonight or why Holliday isn't looking to score. After 24 games, he only has 21 points despite playing 305 minutes.

On to Saturday!
Nobody, especially Tevin Brown, is happy with his 7 TOs last night. However I think he has to go to the basket to keep the defense honest. A good defensive team like Peay will not give up a lot of good looks outside and Brown is a big key to our offense. He has some improvement to make in respect to penetrating with the ball. I would like to see him kick it out more when he gets the ball into the lane and doesn't have a clear path to the hoop, but he's got to go inside and risk a turnover off of the dribble.
Like this! Liked

Handicap
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by Handicap » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:36 am

It was a tight fought game with turnovers and free throws being the deciding factor.

A few gripes though:

1. The announcers said that in terms of height, APSU was damn near bottom of the barrel so why did we not take advantage and go to the post more?

2. McMahon is a great Set play coach but i wish we would get a different offensive scheme instead of this "hero iso ball" type we currently have. It seems like it depends on having a super star pg that can drive the paint and we just don't have that. Our guards just don't have the handles to be driving into traffic and they have trouble finishing at the rim. We have the athletes to dominate with and it seems we get by by being more athletic than actual basketball fundamentals, on offense anyways. We do great on defense.
Like this! Liked

JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by JoeD » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:09 am

I’d like Tevin to use a floater in instances like last night. Don’t get me wrong I love layups, but too many times it seems like he tried to take it too deep into three defenders.

As for our PGs, let’s not forget that they are Sophomores*

(Second semester freshman who has been out for weeks, and a redshirt freshman)
Last edited by JoeD on Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Like this! Liked
Im old enough to remember when being "politically correct" was understood to mean "not being a complete, racist, xenophobic a-hole". Good times...

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:00 am

I’m certainly not forgetting anything. I remember well some damn good freshman and sophomore PGs in my day.
Like this! Liked

sparekracer
TRN Benchwarmer
TRN Benchwarmer

Post by sparekracer » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:00 am

I still say the majority of the turnovers has to do with who is handling the ball.

I like Brown. I like Eaves. But when one of them is handling the ball the majority of the possession, that's a recipe for a turnover, if you ask me.

One of Daquan, Chico, or Kamba should be on the floor at all times. I understand Chico was just coming back from whatever it was that kept him out of games so you really can't depend on him a lot just yet. But I still think he's probably the best point guard and ball handler on the team. And Kamba has been impressive to me in what little time I've seen him on the court.

I wonder if McMahon has considered going to a 4 guard lineup at times? Is Brown tall enough to guard an OVC 4-man? A guard lineup of Carter, Smith, Brown, Eaves might look good at times.
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:02 am

Eaves scored a lot of points last night but like sparekeeper whenever he handles the ball I’m nervous until he passes it or shoots. He gets torched a LOT on defense too.

PS Holiday should never handle the ball unless there’s no choice in an absolute emergency situation and then should look to pass it immediately.
Like this! Liked

SwedeDRC
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by SwedeDRC » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:24 am

smidge34 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:09 am
Turnovers were the difference. Our teams struggle when we struggle against competition at the point guard position. Honestly I can’t imagine Murray State ever struggling at PG but here we are smh.
It reminds me of Isiah Cannan's senior year where he had to play point guard. Sip was not a natural point gaurd and we suffered from turnovers that year. Lots of dialog on this baord on that issue back then. Im sure Cowboy would remember. You other guys long in the tooth.....You recall?
Like this! Liked

sparekracer
TRN Benchwarmer
TRN Benchwarmer

Post by sparekracer » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:37 am

I just don't understand why Kamba hasn't been given a longer leash. I guess I'm just missing something.

I don't exactly have an issue with the Smith, Brown, Eaves guard lineup. But I think Carter and Kamba are better and more natural point guards. When turnovers are an issue, having a real point guard in there can help.

I know Carter and Kamba are both true freshmen. But in a couple of years, when they gain experience, along with a more experienced Smith and a senior Brown and KJ Williams... man this team is going to be a beast.
Like this! Liked

Racer2112
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by Racer2112 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:45 am

sparekracer wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:37 am
I just don't understand why Kamba hasn't been given a longer leash. I guess I'm just missing something.
What has Kamba done that makes you think he should have a longer leash?
75Fan wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:40 pm

No idea why Demond only got 10 minutes. I felt like his rebounding could have really helped. I guess may CMM was frustrated with him being 0/4.

I'm don't think Holiday is capable of scoring. The sample size seems large enough to draw that conclusion.
Like this! Liked

sparekracer
TRN Benchwarmer
TRN Benchwarmer

Post by sparekracer » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:49 am

Racer2112 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:45 am
Sample size is small... I definitely admit that.

But Kamba seems to be able to dribble the ball without losing control of it. I'm not sure if Brown and Eaves can do that. But please do not misinterpret me - I still like both Brown and Eaves, I just cringe every time they handle the ball for a majority of the possession.
Like this! Liked

Racer2112
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by Racer2112 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:57 am

sparekracer wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:49 am
Racer2112 wrote:
Sample size is small... I definitely admit that.

But Kamba seems to be able to dribble the ball without losing control of it. I'm not sure if Brown and Eaves can do that. But please do not misinterpret me - I still like both Brown and Eaves, I just cringe every time they handle the ball for a majority of the possession.
I definitely share your concerns about their ball handling. Kamba just hasn't shown much of a scoring threat or creator of shots for others. He doesn't make really bad decisions, but no great ones either.

But as you say small sample size. I have just seen more that I like from Smith and Carter at this point.
Like this! Liked

Handicap
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by Handicap » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:05 pm

Racer2112 wrote:

No idea why Demond only got 10 minutes. I felt like his rebounding could have really helped. I guess may CMM was frustrated with him being 0/4.

I'm don't think Holiday is capable of scoring. The sample size seems large enough to draw that conclusion.
Yeah Holliday has been a juco bust, he can't score, can't hit free throws (my god his form on his free throws last night was like he wasnt even trying), can't handle the ball, and is an average defender at best. He is incredibly frustrating to watch.

as for Demond, along with our other bigs, they need to work on 1 post move and shot. They seem to go up and flail a shot up except for KJ and he just needs to work on accuracy. They need to get a fluid shot up.
Like this! Liked

speck
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by speck » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:45 pm

Scoring is not the top priority for a point guard, a stranger could walk in on one of our games and he would have trouble picking out the point guard. Tevin would be a much bigger threat if he didn't have to handle the ball so much. Pretty well everybody knows now that Kevin is the go to man and that makes it tough on him.imo
Like this! Liked

Racer2112
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by Racer2112 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:05 pm

That seems like a bit of an old school only view of a point guard. I think over the last 20 or so years there have been two types of PG. The first being the older school create first type of guard. For us that would have been a Ja or Cam. NBA examples would be Ja :P or Steve Nash. There are also score first point guards like what Canaan and Stark did for us when they played the PG role. NBA examples would be Kyrie or Lillard.

I haven’t seen either of these definitions fit Kamba so far, I’m not sure what he does well. I think DaQuan is probably more of a natural 2 guard. Chico is probably our only natural PG but he has missed 2 months of his freshmen season...

Teams definitely are starting to have the playbook on Tevin and now we need to adjust to get him some easier looks.
Like this! Liked

Explore Kentucky Lake