RACERS @ Austin Peay Game Thread

This forum is for the discussion of the men's basketball team.
sparekracer
TRN Benchwarmer
TRN Benchwarmer

Re: RACERS @ Austin Peay Game Thread

Post by sparekracer » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:21 pm

Anybody remember that Kamba drive down the lane and dish to I believe Anthony Smith for the two handed slam, was that against Belmont or TSU? Or was it further back than that? Granted, that's a super small sample size - but that's what I see in Kamba.

It's plays like that that make me think that Kamba may actually be the best point guard on the team. But for whatever reason the game just moves too fast for him right now or something to that affect. But if you're grading on potential, I think he's on up there.

Daquan I see as a better version of Shaq (in terms of ball handling). He's definitely passable as a point guard, but I think he would excel a bit better playing the 2-guard with either Carter or Kamba playing the point.

Carter is more in the middle there. If you're talking about ceilings and floors, I think Kamba has the higher ceiling among the point guards, but probably the lowest floor as well. Carter's floor is definitely higher, but I don't think his ceiling is as high as Kamba's.

The bottom line out of all of this... I think the team has really missed Carter seeing floor time. I'm hopeful that once Carter gets conditioned again (I don't know how long that will take) that we'll start to see the turnover issue start to subside.
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:39 pm

It wasn’t against Belmont or TSU, it was against SIUe one of the bottom 10-15 teams in the country.
Like this! Liked

sparekracer
TRN Benchwarmer
TRN Benchwarmer

Post by sparekracer » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:55 pm

Indeed, you are correct sir. I really didn't think it was that far back. That takes some of the luster off of it. But still, it was a good play - but not quite as meaningful against SIUe
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:03 pm

I honestly haven’t seen enough of Kamba to know much of anything, but I suspect the staff has.
Like this! Liked

runner67
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by runner67 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:04 pm

Am I seeing this correctly on the peaymania message board?!?! No posts in the basketball forum since Feb 1, and that was from our very own Smidge. What’s up with that fan base? The web page must not be loading correctly.
Like this! Liked

JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by JoeD » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:17 pm

You aren't mistaken. At this point, only one school in the OVC has a fanbase
Like this! Liked
Im old enough to remember when being "politically correct" was understood to mean "not being a complete, racist, xenophobic a-hole". Good times...

speck
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by speck » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:27 pm

Racer2112 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:05 pm
That seems like a bit of an old school only view of a point guard. I think over the last 20 or so years there have been two types of PG. The first being the older school create first type of guard. For us that would have been a Ja or Cam. NBA examples would be Ja :P or Steve Nash. There are also score first point guards like what Canaan and Stark did for us when they played the PG role. NBA examples would be Kyrie or Lillard.

I haven’t seen either of these definitions fit Kamba so far, I’m not sure what he does well. I think DaQuan is probably more of a natural 2 guard. Chico is probably our only natural PG but he has missed 2 months of his freshmen season...

Teams definitely are starting to have the playbook on Tevin and now we need to adjust to get him some easier looks.
I don't think the " old school" definition of a point guard has changed much. Ballhandler, floor coach, floor vision, penetrate and dish etc.
Like this! Liked

JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by JoeD » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:38 pm

JoeD wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:17 pm
You aren't mistaken. At this point, only one school in the OVC has a fanbase
This isn't a dig to 82, as he is a diehard peay fan. Hell, twenty years ago there were thousands like him. Not any more.
Like this! Liked
Im old enough to remember when being "politically correct" was understood to mean "not being a complete, racist, xenophobic a-hole". Good times...

popeyejonesfan
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by popeyejonesfan » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:01 pm

We could have gotten a better shot at the end than a fade-away 3 from Brown. It reminded me of what teams do when they are tied and just want to make sure they get the last shot of the half or of thegame, even if it’s a bad shot. We weren’t tied. We needed a better look than that.
Like this! Liked

popeyejonesfan
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by popeyejonesfan » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:04 pm

We always seem to play better the second time we play a good team. Plus, just looking at scores, Peay’s worst games have come on the road. Playing them in Murray on Senior Day will favor us.
Like this! Liked

evvracerfan
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by evvracerfan » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:10 pm

runner67 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:04 pm
Am I seeing this correctly on the peaymania message board?!?! No posts in the basketball forum since Feb 1, and that was from our very own Smidge. What’s up with that fan base? The web page must not be loading correctly.
I noticed that Wednesday and checked back this morning - I've got to believe they're having technical problems. If that's not the case and interest is that low for a team tied for the OVC lead, then shovel some dirt on Peay's fan base - they're dead.
Like this! Liked

HoptownRacer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by HoptownRacer » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:28 pm

I would call them a bunch of frontrunners but hell, they don't even show up when they're winning.

Even our 4-8 football team averaged more fans per home game this past season... :shock:
Like this! Liked

JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by JoeD » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:53 pm

popeyejonesfan wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:01 pm
We could have gotten a better shot at the end than a fade-away 3 from Brown. It reminded me of what teams do when they are tied and just want to make sure they get the last shot of the half or of thegame, even if it’s a bad shot. We weren’t tied. We needed a better look than that.
I would take just about any shot from Brown at the end of a game.
Like this! Liked

popeyejonesfan
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by popeyejonesfan » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:34 pm

Agreed. I just think he could have gotten a better look. I expect him to have a much better game when Peay travels to Murray.
Like this! Liked

apsufan56
TRN Signee
TRN Signee

Post by apsufan56 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:17 pm

First of all, classic AP Murray contest, a great game to watch and I expect the finale will be great as well! Hopefully we both finish well.

The Peaymania board is working fine now but it had some issues in the past so I think a lot of the fans just banter back and forth on Twitter now. I’m old school and don’t tweet so.....

But maybe I will take your motivation and make a few post and see what happens.

I didn’t know until I watched on TV what the T was for, Coach Figger got one at Belmont for throwing his coat off, not that I agree but I think either one of those “actions” will get you an automatic T.
Like this! Liked

MarshallRacer
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by MarshallRacer » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:19 am

smidge34 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:09 am
Turnovers were the difference. Our teams struggle when we struggle against competition at the point guard position. Honestly I can’t imagine Murray State ever struggling at PG but here we are smh.
This was the difference IMO. Smith neutralized Taylor brilliantly. Peay put 100% into "Someone other than Tevin Brown is going to have to beat us." I think if Chico hadn't been out for the last 3 weeks this is a completely different game. Not that he would have dominated but would have given another option at the 1 without the rust.

And can we PLEASE sign a petition to get the 4'6" middle school kid to stop reffing games?
Like this! Liked
Enjoy every day because things change fast - Billy Kennedy October 2011

ERacerHead
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by ERacerHead » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:40 am

This was a strange trip to Clarksville. I've attended a lot of games down there, and this one had the fewest Murray fans by far. Not many rowdy, obnoxious Peay students either. The atmosphere was not close to many games I've attended in the past, which surprised me since this was a battle for the top of the OVC. I was disappointed in the result, but enjoyed a high quality, hard fought college game. My thoughts after the game is that we might play this team two more times in the next month, and this is a Peay team anyone in the league would have trouble beating three times.
A Peay fan did show some of the normal classlessness as the game ended though - a young man in a Celtics shirt sitting in the Murray section held both middle fingers in the air in salute of the victory, shouting "...ck you Murray" to the top of his lungs repeatedly. A little bit of the usual reception at Dunn we have come to expect.
Like this! Liked

dbstepside
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by dbstepside » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:48 am

Normally I always try to attend the game at Peay but with the 8:00 tip-off on a Thursday and having to be up at 4 am the next morning it just didn’t work out for me. Had it been a Saturday game I’d have been there along with a lot more Racer fans I’m sure.
Like this! Liked

msuowns
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by msuowns » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:00 pm

dbstepside wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:48 am
Normally I always try to attend the game at Peay but with the 8:00 tip-off on a Thursday and having to be up at 4 am the next morning it just didn’t work out for me. Had it been a Saturday game I’d have been there along with a lot more Racer fans I’m sure.
Very understandable stepside.
Like this! Liked
"Home, home again I like to be here when I can. When I come home cold and tired, it's good to warm my bones by the fire".

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:28 pm

Peay is such a pain in the rear place to visit,TSU too. You have to park and walk a country mile away regardless of the weather, then fight the traffic jams in and around Clarksville and Lord help you if you eat in the mall area prior to the game or exit that way afterwards.
Like this! Liked

Explore Kentucky Lake