Officials

This forum is for the discussion of the men's basketball team.
STLRacer
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup
Posts: 346
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:52 am

Re: Officials

Post by STLRacer »

smidge34 wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:45 am
Besides the anticipation calls, the ones that bother me the most are the inconsistent ones. They let them battle underneath then call a ticky tack touch 35 feet from the basket.
I do feel like this is just basketball in general and something that I have always been frustrated about the way the game is called across all levels. Simply put, what happens underneath the basket is balled differently than what happens at the perimeter. That being said, the OVC refs take it to another level on this issue and all others. Like all have said, the players don't know what will be a foul one play to the next and they cannot figure out how to play the game and that is a problem.

SwedeDRC
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man
Posts: 224
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:39 am

Re: Officials

Post by SwedeDRC »

Ghughes wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:42 pm
Mike1957 wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:26 pm
We need Burl Crowell back
Way off the topic here, but I have to share this Burl Crowell story. Told to me by a friend who called Racer games for a while back in Racer Arena days. Cal Luther called Burl over to the sideline during a timeout in the midst of an intense game. He had already thrown his sport jacket on the sideline in frustration. And during this timeout, Cal’s face got red and he was very animated, even pointing at the coat he had shed a few minutes earlier. Despite the obvious tongue lashing Burl was getting, coach didn’t get teed up. And the crowd was loving it. Later on, my friend asked Coach Luther about the incident, asking how he avoided a technical foul. Coach said, I didn’t say anything Burl could use as a reason to call one. How so?, my friend asked. You were waving your arms and your face was red and you were in his face! What did you say? Luther replied, oh that? I just said: “Burl, you see my coat over there? You can get one just like it at Corn-Austin for $50!” My friend concluded it was just another tactic to get the home fans stirred up, loud and rowdy. Coach Luther was known to appreciate the support of our fans, and encouraged lively interaction within reason at our games back then.
I remember one game where he ripped off his jacket forgetting it was buttoned..The buttons popped flying all over the place..Cal ripping off his sport coat usually happened before the first time out when he had an issue with the way the team was playing or the refs.lol He was just so good at getting the crowd into the game...If we were ahead and rolling along the jacket stayed on,.Sometimes we started yelling at him to take it off.. :lol:

User avatar
MarshallRacer
TRN Legend
TRN Legend
Posts: 4241
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:01 am
Location: Twitter: Marshall_Racer_

Re: Officials

Post by MarshallRacer »

wkeown wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:47 am
Is anybody aware if there are any officiating statistics or metrics websites that can be observed? The OVC refs seem to call more than the fair share of walking and moving screens calls.
statsheet.com USED to list officials with personal and technical fouls called per game as well as amazing stats for teams and players. They were bought out by someone and completely changed into a stat selling site. The info is out there, surely someone else is compiling that date.

Ken Pomeroy mentions an officials rating here that points to kenpom.com/officials.php but it is behind a paywall.
Enjoy every day because things change fast - Billy Kennedy October 2011

User avatar
msuowns
TRN Legend
TRN Legend
Posts: 5832
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:57 pm
Location: Paducah

Re: Officials

Post by msuowns »

SwedeDRC wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:54 am
Ghughes wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:42 pm
Mike1957 wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:26 pm
We need Burl Crowell back
Way off the topic here, but I have to share this Burl Crowell story. Told to me by a friend who called Racer games for a while back in Racer Arena days. Cal Luther called Burl over to the sideline during a timeout in the midst of an intense game. He had already thrown his sport jacket on the sideline in frustration. And during this timeout, Cal’s face got red and he was very animated, even pointing at the coat he had shed a few minutes earlier. Despite the obvious tongue lashing Burl was getting, coach didn’t get teed up. And the crowd was loving it. Later on, my friend asked Coach Luther about the incident, asking how he avoided a technical foul. Coach said, I didn’t say anything Burl could use as a reason to call one. How so?, my friend asked. You were waving your arms and your face was red and you were in his face! What did you say? Luther replied, oh that? I just said: “Burl, you see my coat over there? You can get one just like it at Corn-Austin for $50!” My friend concluded it was just another tactic to get the home fans stirred up, loud and rowdy. Coach Luther was known to appreciate the support of our fans, and encouraged lively interaction within reason at our games back then.
I remember one game where he ripped off his jacket forgetting it was buttoned..The buttons popped flying all over the place..Cal ripping off his sport coat usually happened before the first time out when he had an issue with the way the team was playing or the refs.lol He was just so good at getting the crowd into the game...If we were ahead and rolling along the jacket stayed on,.Sometimes we started yelling at him to take it off.. :lol:
I can still picture Cal shedding that sport coat and throwing it on the floor. Crowd and team always got juiced up. Decibels went up after the first button came off.
"Home, home again I like to be here when I can. When I come home cold and tired, it's good to warm my bones by the fire".

User avatar
JessieWilliams
TRN Benchwarmer
TRN Benchwarmer
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:18 am

Re: Officials

Post by JessieWilliams »

We need Jay Davis to make a comeback? :banana: :soap:
Some people claim there is a woman to blame

Jimmy Buffett Racer Arena 1979

Mike1957
TRN First Timer
TRN First Timer
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:34 pm

Re: Officials

Post by Mike1957 »

Please no! Old Jay was terrible in the girl games years ago, although he might be better than the guy that tossed Coach Turner in the girls game.

User avatar
RacerPreacher
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup
Posts: 441
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:38 am

Re: Officials

Post by RacerPreacher »

Mike1957 wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:29 pm
Please no! Old Jay was terrible in the girl games years ago, although he might be better than the guy that tossed Coach Turner in the girls game.
Here is the Video
https://kentuckysportsradio.com/basketb ... h-ejected/
“I hate to lose more than I love to win.”

evvracerfan
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup
Posts: 457
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:24 pm

Re: Officials

Post by evvracerfan »

RacerPreacher wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:44 pm
Mike1957 wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:29 pm
Please no! Old Jay was terrible in the girl games years ago, although he might be better than the guy that tossed Coach Turner in the girls game.
Here is the Video
https://kentuckysportsradio.com/basketb ... h-ejected/
That official obviously doesn't have the temperament, judgement, or intellect to work professionally as an official at any level.

atlantaracer
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man
Posts: 158
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:40 am

Re: Officials

Post by atlantaracer »

RacerPreacher wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:44 pm
Mike1957 wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:29 pm
Please no! Old Jay was terrible in the girl games years ago, although he might be better than the guy that tossed Coach Turner in the girls game.
Here is the Video
https://kentuckysportsradio.com/basketb ... h-ejected/
I have no idea what Coach did the get the 2nd T. You can hear a second whistle, but she is nowhere near the official who blows the whistle (and is actually next to the female official). The first 1 was a mistake. I guess the second was for leaving the coaches box (or arguing).

I watched the replay on ESPN+, and you can see the pointing. The official wrongly assumed that was taunting Morehead. He compounded his error with 2 more.

Worst 3 technicals I have ever seen at any level of basketball. Take it from someone who earned a few in his day!

evvracerfan
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup
Posts: 457
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:24 pm

Re: Officials

Post by evvracerfan »

Now after the video has gone viral, the OVC has announced that they've discussed the issue with the official and "it's being handled internally." :lol: Sure it is.

murraygrad05
TRN MVP
TRN MVP
Posts: 966
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:57 pm

Re: Officials

Post by murraygrad05 »

Was the gee golly gosh commissioner at the women's game?

And it took the video going viral to realize that it was a problem? :scratch:

RockinRacers
TRN MVP
TRN MVP
Posts: 778
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:42 pm

Re: Officials

Post by RockinRacers »

Yes

User avatar
smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT
Posts: 11301
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:52 am
Location: Follow me on Twitter: @Smidge342003

Re: Officials

Post by smidge34 »

evvracerfan wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:54 pm
Now after the video has gone viral, the OVC has announced that they've discussed the issue with the official and "it's being handled internally." :lol: Sure it is.
Where did you this?

Never mind, I found it.

:goracers: 109

User avatar
RacerPreacher
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup
Posts: 441
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:38 am

Re: Officials

Post by RacerPreacher »

murraygrad05 wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:34 pm
Was the gee golly gosh commissioner at the women's game?

And it took the video going viral to realize that it was a problem? :scratch:
All that was done is telling the officials that they were right and a little press release would be put out to put the whole matter behind them. Commissioner Beth does nothing and gets paid very well for it.
“I hate to lose more than I love to win.”

apsufan56
TRN Signee
TRN Signee
Posts: 41
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:23 pm

Re: Officials

Post by apsufan56 »

Well, she does go to all the Belmont games.....

User avatar
RacerPreacher
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup
Posts: 441
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:38 am

Re: Officials

Post by RacerPreacher »

apsufan56 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:49 pm
Well, she does go to all the Belmont games.....
Exactly :roll:
“I hate to lose more than I love to win.”

Post Reply
Explore Kentucky Lake