RACERS @ Belmont Game Thread

This forum is for the discussion of the men's basketball team.
smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Re: RACERS @ Belmont Game Thread

Post by smidge34 »

Conference play on the road is tough all over.

Like this! Liked
Dan T
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by Dan T »

So Gilmore led us in scoring on 5/6 shooting and 3/3 at the line with 5 rebounds and 1 turnover in 25 minutes, so yeah, he played a solid game for us
Like this! Liked
smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 »

EKU is gonna be a problem.
Like this! Liked
smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 »

Dan T wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:46 pm So Gilmore led us in scoring on 5/6 shooting and 3/3 at the line with 5 rebounds and 1 turnover in 25 minutes, so yeah, he played a solid game for us
Pretty telling stat.
Like this! Liked
speck
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by speck »

The tournament this year is gone a be a good un.
Like this! Liked
murraygrad05
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by murraygrad05 »

We got punched in the gut first thing and never recovered. As someone said earlier it’s just a wonder we stayed within 10 considering we went almost 9 minutes without a field goal. Don’t really think Belmont had a good plan, as much as I think we just played sloppy. We had the shots and they just weren't falling. Quanny forced his game. Tevin disappeared. Holliday... ugh... Second half we went back to ball watching with no movement and we became easy to guard.

I would have personally have liked to see Noah get a few more minutes tonight with Eaves and Quanny both laying eggs.
Like this! Liked
wallaceracer
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by wallaceracer »

1) The loss wouldn't have hurt quite as bad if we wouldn't have came back and took the lead in the second half. As bad as the first half was, we took the lead but just couldn't keep it.

2) The pitch of the woman or women yelling on ESPN+ was unbearable. I eventually had to turn the sound off.

3) I agree about Kamba playing over Holliday. At the beginning of the season it was said that Holiday was playing because of his defensive play. Now many times he's a liability on defense too. I know coach rewards practice, so I guess there's something we're not seeing, but I do know what I see with my own eyes in games.
Like this! Liked
Kyracer
TRN Signee
TRN Signee

Post by Kyracer »

Way too many turnovers tonight. We had opportunities but just could not finish plays. It appeared there was as many Murray fans as Belmont. Pitiful attendance from Belmont for a huge game. It is tough to win and amazed we had a chance considering the turnovers. A lot of easy baskets by Belmont in the paint. You just have games like that at times. Let’s beat TSU!
Like this! Liked
75Fan
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by 75Fan »

Here's the player ratings for this game.....

TYLER SCANLON		151.0972

ADAM KUNKEL		138.4547

JAIVEON EAVES		 90.5947

DEVIN GILMORE		 85.3130

TEVIN BROWN		 78.7033
K. J. WILLIAMS		 75.2653
NICK MUSZYNSKI		 72.6713
DAQUAN SMITH		 70.7663

GRAYSON MURPHY		 69.9144

DEMOND ROBINSON		 56.2064

TATE PIERSON		 34.1740
ANTHONY SMITH		 31.7570

SETH ADELSPERGER	 19.5517

BEN SHEPPARD		  9.6301
MITCH LISTAU		  4.9605
JASON HOLLIDAY		  4.2165
MICHAEL BENKERT		  3.5373
CALEB HOLLANDER		  2.5821

NOAH KAMBA		- 0.5000

NICK HOPKINS		- 6.0000

Here's the statistics for this game..( 82.61 )...

STAT		MURRAY STATE	BELMONT
FGM		24		29
FGA		61		64
FG%		39.34		45.31

3PM		8		4
3PA		22		25
3P%		36.36		16.00

FTM		8		9
FTA		10		11
FT%		80.00		81.82

OR		13		7
DR		30		26
TREB		43		33

FLS		14		16

AST		13		16
TOS		22		11

BLK		3		2
STL		5		14

PTS		64		71

Here's the player's NET Game Ratings for this game.....

ADAM KUNKEL	 10.4000

TYLER SCANLON	  9.4800

DEVIN GILMORE	  4.1250

K. J. WILLIAMS	  2.8350
NICK MUSZYNSKI	  2.7200

TATE PIERSON	  1.4800

CALEB HOLLANDER	 -0.2400
NOAH KAMBA	 -0.3550
JAIVEON EAVES	 -0.7800
MITCH LISTAU	 -0.9600

SETH ADELSPERGER -1.5600
DAQUAN SMITH	 -1.8450
NICK HOPKINS	 -1.9200

DEMOND ROBINSON	 -2.0350
TEVIN BROWN	 -2.4250
GRAYSON MURPHY	 -2.8800

JASON HOLLIDAY	 -3.1950
ANTHONY SMITH	 -3.3250
MICHAEL BENKERT	 -3.7600

BEN SHEPPARD	 -5.7600
Last edited by 75Fan on Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Like this! Liked

6 ETHICS OF LIFE

1. BEFORE YOU PRAY..........BELIEVE.
2. BEFORE YOU SPEAK.......LISTEN.
3. BEFORE YOU SPEND......EARN.
4. BEFORE YOU WRITE.......THINK.
5. BEFORE YOU QUIT...........TRY.
6. BEFORE YOU DIE.............LIVE.

evvracerfan
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by evvracerfan »

Such an odd game. On one hand if someone had told me we would outrebound Belmont by 10 and hold them to 16% from 3 point range I'd have to guess that's a game we win. On the other hand if you told me we turn the ball over 22 times and they hold Tevin to 10 points on 3-10 shooting, I would guess we get blown out. We probably would have been if Belmont knocks down those open 3's at a normal clip - those turnovers were just awful last night.

I like that they battled through to make a game of it and even take the lead at one point, but asking a freshman point guard to play 39 minutes in a game like that is a tough one. Not having Chico or the confidence to play Kamba really hurt. Having our two seniors turn the ball over a combined 10 times when they are not primary ball handlers is a killer. Eaves is a great shooter and his penetration has really improved this year, but we really need him to clean up his passing skills on the perimeter. A. Smith really struggled last night - strong game on the boards (10 in 15 minutes) but you could tell he didn't know how to react when Belmont backed off him and dared him to shoot a 15 footer. Those bounce passes in traffic were just maddening. I wonder if he was a little under the weather - he just didn't seem himself and played limited minutes without being in foul trouble. Gilmore played well enough last night to take some of those minutes, though.

We have a great opportunity in front of us Saturday. I like the chances of A. Smith and Tevin having good bounce back games. If we can manage to win that game we will leave the Nashville trip with at minimum a 2 game lead over Belmont and either be tied or a 1 game lead on Peay. All in all, we are about where I hoped we would be at this point in the season, but the lack of depth on the perimeter due to injuries/illness is concerning.
Like this! Liked
Racer2112
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by Racer2112 »

bjhracer wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:52 pm
Racer2112 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:28 pm
bjhracer wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:09 pm Great game from Gilmore.
Were we watching the same game? Or was this a sarcastic post?
At the time of the post he was having a great game. Much better than A. smith. Gilmore was moving scoring and was very good on help defense for periods of the game. Yes he missed a few cuts in the 2nd half but overall I think he played well.
I was just frustrated with his defense down the stretch last night. He had a good offensive game and was our best finisher around the rim.

Scanlon demolished us down the stretch and killed our runs as they were starting, and Gilmore was guarding him. In the second half alone I can think of 2 or 3 times he went backdoor on Gilmore and at least another 2 times where he drove to the basket like no one was defending him.
Like this! Liked
smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 »

Racer2112 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:54 am
Racer2112 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:28 pm

Were we watching the same game? Or was this a sarcastic post?
At the time of the post he was having a great game. Much better than A. smith. Gilmore was moving scoring and was very good on help defense for periods of the game. Yes he missed a few cuts in the 2nd half but overall I think he played well.
I was just frustrated with his defense down the stretch last night. He had a good offensive game and was our best finisher around the rim.

Scanlon demolished us down the stretch and killed our runs as they were starting, and Gilmore was guarding him. In the second half alone I can think of 2 or 3 times he went backdoor on Gilmore and at least another 2 times where he drove to the basket like no one was defending him.
Your casual fan only watches each team’s offense is the problem. I agree he got torched numerous times.

Every single time Javeon dribbles the ball I get tense. I’d just as soon he limit his offense to set threes. His lazy passes, along with Quanny and even Tevin a couple times killed us. 20 turnovers between 4 players smh.
Like this! Liked
jayinbama
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by jayinbama »

Not surprised at the result, just tough to win there. Long ways to go in conference play, so I am not alarmed.
Like this! Liked
evvracerfan
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by evvracerfan »

smidge34 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:25 am

Your casual fan only watches each team’s offense is the problem. I agree he got torched numerous times.

Every single time Javeon dribbles the ball I get tense. I’d just as soon he limit his offense to set threes. His lazy passes, along with Quanny and even Tevin a couple times killed us. 20 turnovers between 4 players smh.
Remember before the season (when we thought Cowart would be playing) when some of us were wondering about possible 3 big lineups? Last night shows why that just doesn't work on the defensive end. Our bigs (as well as most bigs at our level) struggle to play D on the perimeter beyond the brief screen hedge.
Like this! Liked
JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by JoeD »

Hold on now...

Last night, on the road, after committing 20 turnovers, after Tevin only had 10 points, after having two of our better players in foul trouble early in the first half.... we were within a possession of winning the game late in the second half. Lets not act like we got the floor wiped with our faces. We have the ability to cause as many mismatches as we get and i think more, when KJ is hitting jumpers, or even Demond hits 15 footers.

Lets not pretend that its was the bigs that had 14 of the 22 turnovers. Our guard play was terrible last night and we almost snuck out a win. We were able to put a lot of length on the floor last night and it caused problems. I bet if all we did was eliminate unforced errors, I would bet that we win last night.

:twocents:
Like this! Liked
Americans dead by COVID-19
11/17/2020 254,329 (17 in Calloway County)

Americans lost in war

World War I- 116,516
Vietnam- 58,209
Korea- 38,616
All other American dead in every conflict since 1975 including 9/11 and Benghazi- 10,580

Some hoax
Dan T
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by Dan T »

evvracerfan wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:06 am
smidge34 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:25 am

Remember before the season (when we thought Cowart would be playing) when some of us were wondering about possible 3 big lineups? Last night shows why that just doesn't work on the defensive end. Our bigs (as well as most bigs at our level) struggle to play D on the perimeter beyond the brief screen hedge.
While I argued that playing 3 bigs was a possibility, I would never argue to do against Belmont, not unless you have two of them who can get out there and guard outside. Different teams require different defenses and offenses.
Like this! Liked
murraygrad05
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by murraygrad05 »

The most troubling part about last night is that we committed 22 turnovers against a non pressure D. Belmont was not playing that tight. We just weren’t focused.

My only thing with Noah over Holliday is we will be giving up size, and we are already small to begin with. But I do agree at this point Holliday is pretty much useless.

Eaves thrived last year in the catch and shoot position. Just go down the court, plant yourself in the corner, and catch and shoot off of a dribble drive kick out.
Like this! Liked
evvracerfan
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by evvracerfan »

JoeD wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:16 am Hold on now...

Last night, on the road, after committing 20 turnovers, after Tevin only had 10 points, after having two of our better players in foul trouble early in the first half.... we were within a possession of winning the game late in the second half. Lets not act like we got the floor wiped with our faces. We have the ability to cause as many mismatches as we get and i think more, when KJ is hitting jumpers, or even Demond hits 15 footers.

Lets not pretend that its was the bigs that had 14 of the 22 turnovers. Our guard play was terrible last night and we almost snuck out a win. We were able to put a lot of length on the floor last night and it caused problems. I bet if all we did was eliminate unforced errors, I would bet that we win last night.

:twocents:
Agree 100% - turnovers cost us the game last night. When your 3 starting guards combine for 14 turnovers, you almost never overcome that on the road. The lazy passes on the perimeter that got picked off - especially when the pass wouldn't have really done anything for us - drove me crazy. I'm disappointed that we missed an opportunity to beat Belmont at their place on a rare night when their 3's were not falling, but we've now played them twice and still have a 2 game lead on them.
Like this! Liked
sparekracer
TRN Benchwarmer
TRN Benchwarmer

Post by sparekracer »

smidge34 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:25 am Every single time Javeon dribbles the ball I get tense.
I'm the same way, and I'm almost the same way when Brown is bringing the ball up the court (although, just to be clear, Brown is definitely a better ball handler than Eaves).

For me, I think the issue stems from the fact that both Brown and Eaves are more 3-guards than 2-guards - but at least one of them has to play the 2 spot. And to be honest, Smith is still more of a 2-guard than a point guard. Obviously not having Carter available affects some of this - but that's also why I wonder why Kamba doesn't get more minutes.

A guard lineup of Carter/Kamba, Smith, Brown/Eaves would seem to put have your best set of ball handlers on the court and hopefully help minimize turnovers.

I'm not suggesting that any changes should be made to the starting lineup - I'm not even suggesting that someone's minutes should go down (although, obviously Carter/Kamba minutes have to come from some where). I'm just saying I think there are times when the best lineup might be to have Carter/Kamba maning the point, Smith at the 2 guard spot, and Brown/Eaves at the 3.
Like this! Liked
speck
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by speck »

There must be more to why Kamba is not getting the minutes than what I have seen of him so far, it sure is not his lack of trying.
Like this! Liked
Explore Kentucky Lake