Replay

This forum is for the discussion of the men's basketball team.
wallaceracer
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Replay

Post by wallaceracer » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:16 pm

I'm not sure I would be in favor of this or not, but is there a rule that prohibits the video boards at the CFSB from showing replays of controversial calls? I know it's a common thing at professional sports venues, but all we ever get to see are lightning quick Trifecta replays of mostly scoring highlights. If the officials go to the monitors, is there a rule that says we can't see the replay also while they're taking 20 minutes to figure it out? Or, for instance, there was a play in the EIU game and also in the SIUe game where it sure looked like Tevin came up with a clean strip on a fast break, and both were called fouls.
Like this! Liked

JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Re: Replay

Post by JoeD » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:03 am

Not sure about a rule, but it is illegal to incite a riot
Like this! Liked
Im old enough to remember when being "politically correct" was understood to mean "not being a complete, racist, xenophobic a-hole". Good times...

wallaceracer
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by wallaceracer » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:20 am

JoeD wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:03 am
Not sure about a rule, but it is illegal to incite a riot
Front runner for post of the year.
Like this! Liked

Dan T
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by Dan T » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:27 am

I've noticed that and just assumed that they don't want to encourage bad behavior from fans. There's is already way too much of that.
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:31 am

Ok boomer. :mrgreen:
Like this! Liked

Racer2112
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by Racer2112 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:39 am

Dan T wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:27 am
I've noticed that and just assumed that they don't want to encourage bad behavior from fans. There's is already way too much of that.
"Bad behavior" would only accompany the replay if it showed something obvious and the refs screw it up (like the technical on Smith against EIU). Replays should actually reduce the "bad behavior" from the audience. I think a lot of times fans get mad because they don't know what is being reviewed, or they didn't see why someone is getting a tech/flagrant in real time. More information should lead to more understanding and less anger.
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:44 am

I had an Englishman tell me a long time ago if they had video boards and replay at European football matches like they had in the US the fans would riot and tear the place to bits lol. This was 25 years ago when NFL teams first had the technology and started showing replays at games.
Like this! Liked

JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by JoeD » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:48 am

Racer2112 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:39 am
Dan T wrote:
"Bad behavior" would only accompany the replay if it showed something obvious and the refs screw it up (like the technical on Smith against EIU). Replays should actually reduce the "bad behavior" from the audience. I think a lot of times fans get mad because they don't know what is being reviewed, or they didn't see why someone is getting a tech/flagrant in real time. More information should lead to more understanding and less anger.
In this conference, the more you see the refs and their calls, the worse it gets.
Like this! Liked
Im old enough to remember when being "politically correct" was understood to mean "not being a complete, racist, xenophobic a-hole". Good times...

Racer2112
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by Racer2112 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:51 am

JoeD wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:48 am
Racer2112 wrote:
Dan T wrote:
In this conference, the more you see the refs and their calls, the worse it gets.
That is a reffing problem not a fan problem.
Like this! Liked

Racer2112
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by Racer2112 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:00 am

smidge34 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:44 am
I had an Englishman tell me a long time ago if they had video boards and replay at European football matches like they had in the US the fans would riot and tear the place to bits lol. This was 25 years ago when NFL teams first had the technology and started showing replays at games.
I believe the EPL currently shows replays of overturned decisions after VAR reviews to inform the fans of why the a call has been reversed and there has been no increase in stadium violence.

Though, hooliganism has been reigned in a lot. 25 years ago there may have been riots lol.
Like this! Liked

JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by JoeD » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:07 am

25 years ago, there were riots even without replay...
Like this! Liked

Dan T
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by Dan T » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:35 pm

Racer2112 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:51 am
JoeD wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:48 am
Racer2112 wrote:

That is a reffing problem not a fan problem.
Come on down to my seat and see the behavior a few rows in front of me. There is no excuse for threatening a ref's family or yelling "twice the pay for cheating" over and over. That's a psychological problem that has nothing to do with excellence on the floor.
I couldn't count the number of times people want an "over the back" call made on an opponent, even though there is no such infraction in the rule book. Then there are the ignoramuses who go ballistic every time one of our guys is called for a foul for putting their hand on a dribbler, which actually is an automatic infraction. There's a percentage of the crowd who show up more to yell at referees than they do to watch basketball. I'm not sure why they pay good money to elevate their blood pressure to dangerous levels while being tortured by referees overtly stealing wins from our team.
Last edited by Dan T on Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:40 pm

I laugh myself at the dude behind me yelling “over the back you idiot are you blind?!” but it’s still a pushing foul, just semantics.
Like this! Liked

Dan T
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by Dan T » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:33 pm

smidge34 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:40 pm
I laugh myself at the dude behind me yelling “over the back you idiot are you blind?!” but it’s still a pushing foul, just semantics.
I disagree. Fans want "over the back called" when a player for the other team rebounds from behind a player for the team he's rooting for, no contact needed. They actually think it's against the rules to rebound from behind another player.
Like this! Liked

dropkick
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by dropkick » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:48 pm

A little off subject but I heard Neal talking about a new OVC rule tonight on hey coach. If the visiting OVC school is more than a 3 1/2 hour drive from the home team the game must start by 4:00 pm on Saturday. CMM I think said he preferred 7:00 pm games but said we will have one afternoon game later this season when Morehead visits. It will be interesting to see attendance numbers for that one.
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:27 am

Dan T wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:33 pm
smidge34 wrote:
I disagree. Fans want "over the back called" when a player for the other team rebounds from behind a player for the team he's rooting for, no contact needed. They actually think it's against the rules to rebound from behind another player.
Ok, but I’m talkng when there’s contact and a foul should have been called I get a kick out of all the “that was over and back!” If somebody actually thinks no contact is a foul that’s kinda moronic.
Like this! Liked

Dan T
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by Dan T » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:33 pm

smidge34 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:27 am
Dan T wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:33 pm
smidge34 wrote:
Ok, but I’m talkng when there’s contact and a foul should have been called I get a kick out of all the “that was over and back!” If somebody actually thinks no contact is a foul that’s kinda moronic.
Yes, it is, but there is a significant portion of the basketball watching population that will tell you it's a foul, on the other team, of course.
Like this! Liked

Racer2112
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by Racer2112 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:18 pm

In my section I usually don't hear people calling for "over the back" when there isn't contact. Also questioning people's basketball intelligence over the phrase "over the back" seems a bit legalistic. For instance, there's also no such thing as a "walk" or a "carry". It's all slang for the technical term and we all know what it means when we or others say it.

I don't see how any these semantics indicate that the audience shouldn't be informed when there is a replay being reviewed.
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:07 pm

Racer2112 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:18 pm
In my section I usually don't hear people calling for "over the back" when there isn't contact. Also questioning people's basketball intelligence over the phrase "over the back" seems a bit legalistic. For instance, there's also no such thing as a "walk" or a "carry". It's all slang for the technical term and we all know what it means when we or others say it.

I don't see how any these semantics indicate that the audience shouldn't be informed when there is a replay being reviewed.
Things like me jumping Brett’s arse over a high dribble by opposition when a high dribble isn’t necessarily a violation and like a player in possession of the ball on the floor can slide and it isn’t a “travel”. Lol I’m trying hard every game lately to shut up and at least attempt to see the game objectively and it’s hard.
Like this! Liked

Dan T
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by Dan T » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:39 pm

Racer2112 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:18 pm

I'm gonna disagree with the part about being "legalistic." I don't think there is any denying that there are some really uneducated and completely biased fans at the games, and when I say "uneducated," I'm talking about education in basketball. And by calling them uneducated and biased, I'm being polite.
Like this! Liked

Explore Kentucky Lake