First Impression...

This forum is for the discussion of the men's basketball team.
murraygrad05
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

First Impression...

Post by murraygrad05 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:40 pm

Having to watch on ESPN but it looks like this is the biggest team we have had in a while, if not ever before.
Like this! Liked

STLRacer
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Re: First Impression...

Post by STLRacer » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:32 pm

My first impression is that this is a team that will be much better by the end of the year than they are right now. Almost everyone who stepped on the floor looked very good at times which is great! Tevin is going to be a monster player, and I was super impressed with eaves. I liked Carter at the point more than Smith or Kamba personally, but all had moments where they looked good. Robinson is going to be an absolute beast at both ends before his time is up at Murray, sky high potential. Holliday could be a high level defender even if the offense doesn’t come around, which I think it could. KJ looks phenomenal to me, bigger stronger and more confident. Anthony is exactly what we thought we would get back, bulldog and the hardest worker on the court. So many great pieces, it’s up to the staff to get them all clicking by the end of the year, and that will be a process, but they look to have a lot of potential. Oh an all this without Cowart or Whitley, deep team with a lot of athletes.
Like this! Liked

Dan T
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by Dan T » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:34 pm

Agree that we look a lot bigger now, especially considering Cowart didn't hit the floor. It looks like it's going to be a team win most every game this year, not that we don't have a few players who stick out for the right reasons. Does any poster know if A.J has the green light to shoot 3's? He actually hit one tonight, but I'd be surprised to find out that coach wants him putting them up.
Like this! Liked

Dan T
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by Dan T » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:36 pm

STLRacer wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:32 pm
My first impression is that this is a team that will be much better by the end of the year than they are right now. Almost everyone who stepped on the floor looked very good at times which is great! Tevin is going to be a monster player, and I was super impressed with eaves. I liked Carter at the point more than Smith or Kamba personally, but all had moments where they looked good. Robinson is going to be an absolute beast at both ends before his time is up at Murray, sky high potential. Holliday could be a high level defender even if the offense doesn’t come around, which I think it could. KJ looks phenomenal to me, bigger stronger and more confident. Anthony is exactly what we thought we would get back, bulldog and the hardest worker on the court. So many great pieces, it’s up to the staff to get them all clicking by the end of the year, and that will be a process, but they look to have a lot of potential. Oh an all this without Cowart or Whitley, deep team with a lot of athletes.
Ditto, and could this be the year that we can put 5 at a time in and wear people out with fresh bodies?
Like this! Liked

murraygrad05
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by murraygrad05 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:55 pm

STLRacer wrote:
I agree about the point and would not be surprised to see Chico start over Quanny. Gotta remember too that he is coming off a whole year without playing, but at this point Chico is ahead. Noah looked good also but needs to develop his shot.

Was impressed also with Eaves. Should play a much bigger role this year.
Like this! Liked

Dan T
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by Dan T » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:12 pm

I think this year our big guys will be taking defensive pressure off of the guards rather than the reverse of that we have been seeing.
Like this! Liked

75Fan
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by 75Fan » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:50 pm

I thought our on-the-ball defense was superb at times.
Like this! Liked

6 ETHICS OF LIFE

1. BEFORE YOU PRAY..........BELIEVE.
2. BEFORE YOU SPEAK.......LISTEN.
3. BEFORE YOU SPEND......EARN.
4. BEFORE YOU WRITE.......THINK.
5. BEFORE YOU QUIT...........TRY.
6. BEFORE YOU DIE.............LIVE.

windowoffice
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by windowoffice » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:38 am

murraygrad05 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:55 pm
STLRacer wrote:
I agree about the point and would not be surprised to see Chico start over Quanny. Gotta remember too that he is coming off a whole year without playing, but at this point Chico is ahead. Noah looked good also but needs to develop his shot.

Was impressed also with Eaves. Should play a much bigger role this year.
Yeah, this trim ripped dude that showed up wearing Eaves' jersey looks great!
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:48 am

PG is still our biggest question mark, though I think we will be alright there, but I’ll say this, nobody in the conference can match our front court. Not even close. Deepest front court ever. I said it :D
Like this! Liked

JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by JoeD » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:05 am

The talent is there at pg that’s for dang sure. I still want someone to go and take that starting position. Coming into the season, I hoped it would be Quan, mainly because he had a year in the system. If Chico takes it, that’s pretty impressive for a freshman.

The thing that is impressive is our front court depth. Amazing to see so much size and athleticism. Not to put too fine a point on it, but this squad reminds me of a top tier MVC team with its size.

For those who care to remember, Billy Kennedy’s NIT year, we went and played Missouri State and that was the difference in that game (front court size and depth). Against those bigger schools, you have to be able to go toe to toe without losing too much. I think we can. We certainly have the perimeter players. Now we got to put it all together.
Like this! Liked
Im old enough to remember when being "politically correct" was understood to mean "not being a complete, racist, xenophobic a-hole". Good times...

wkeown
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by wkeown » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:22 pm

Strange to actually see that PG would be the area where we need the most growth. The good news is that all of our PGs are just sprouts. We have a lot of depth there. Very, very young and none seem to be as gifted (now) as Morant was at their age. Let’s not forget Noah Kemba either who may be the quickest guard on the team based on the highlight reels that I have seen.

I watched the entire Marquette game yesterday and I just couldn’t believe how good Ja really was. I kept looking for us to make those same plays last night that were so plentiful last year and we just don’t have that same ability.

I do remember that early last year we had some similar struggles and looked rough in our exhibitions like we did last night. In McMahon I trust. He has got a lot to work with and is very demanding. When it’s all said and done, he may be the best Coach we ever had. Hard to believe what three years can do for a man.
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:14 pm

Bunch a evers being tossed around today :D
Like this! Liked

speck
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by speck » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:32 pm

Some evers I will never forget;
Like this! Liked

Dan T
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by Dan T » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:40 pm

wkeown wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:22 pm

I watched the entire Marquette game yesterday and I just couldn’t believe how good Ja really was. I kept looking for us to make those same plays last night that were so plentiful last year and we just don’t have that same ability.

The only way to keep Morant out of the lane was to triple team him, but nobody could afford to pay that price. Marquette tried to quint-team him once! That didn't work out so well either.
Like this! Liked

02Racer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by 02Racer » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:53 pm

How spoiled we’ve become with our freshmen point guard play over the past decade. Sip redefined our expectations, then Cam lived up to them and Ja even exceeded them.

Now, we have so many talented freshman guards, we can’t even agree on which one should start.

With a healthy Nell, our front court is nearly an embarrassment of riches.

We’ve got an elite 6-5” shooting guard and a 13 man roster that looks like everyone could be a legit contributor.

What a great time to be a Racer.
Like this! Liked

msuowns
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by msuowns » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:43 pm

10 man rotation? It wont be 7. What if Ja was running this team? Love to finally see a bulky Racer team. Ja was so advanced for his age, like an Einstein in a high school science class.
Like this! Liked
"Home, home again I like to be here when I can. When I come home cold and tired, it's good to warm my bones by the fire".

wkeown
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by wkeown » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:43 am

smidge34 wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:14 pm
Bunch a evers being tossed around today :D
Well, none of our previous coaches have taken the Racers to three straight OVC championships. Also, haven't seen one of ours cut down a net for a national championship or even a final four, so yep, that position is definitely available for the taking by McMahon.

I'll be the first to admit that I was ready for his head after our first losing season in almost two decades four years ago, but that guy has grown by leaps and bounds since that year.

I'll also say in advance, I would not be surprised if we have a couple of disappointing losses at the beginning of the season. They are definitely not in sync yet and on Monday they looked like a 1978 Ford F-150 starting on a cold winter day. The rotation isn't set yet and a leader from the PG position is going to have to emerge before we even see this team compete for an OVC title - but I believe we all agree the pieces are there.

Anyone heard when Cowart will be available?
Like this! Liked

runningracer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by runningracer » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:56 pm

Rod Thomas showed that he has some talent, and is a very smart player. He was behind the free throw line on the steal that led to the layup. The point guard picked up his dribble with only one guy to pass to, on the opposite side of the floor. Thomas recognized this, and immediately went after the pass, picking it off. Great hustle out of the freshman. :clap:
Like this! Liked

NKYRacer
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by NKYRacer » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:35 pm

wkeown wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:43 am

Anyone heard when Cowart will be available?

He's 'available' now... He is practicing fully.
Will dress for Sat but probably won't play. Will most likely play vs Tennessee.
Like this! Liked

popeyejonesfan
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by popeyejonesfan » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:36 pm

Ready for the post Morant era to begin. I hope whomever wins the starting PG spot just plays within themself and doesn’t try to force things. There is only 1 Ja Morant. We have a much better team this year than the one Bryce Jones inherited. But, I felt like he pressed too hard trying to replace Cam Payne. From what I saw of DaQuan in high school, he’s the type of player who will play within himself, put team first, and not try to do too much. When he is at point, I think his basketball IQ will impress Racer fans.
Like this! Liked

Explore Kentucky Lake