Full Schedule Out

This forum is for the discussion of the men's basketball team.
murraygrad05
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Re: Full Schedule Out

Post by murraygrad05 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:48 pm

I don't see how you can compare this to a whipping boy schedule. I think some of you have forgotten that Peay is not a cellar dweller and was in the hunt for a regular season championship going in to the final month last season and might have gotten it if the tap in had not been waived off in Clarksville. I see their schedule as a pretty good test. And I do believe they are winnable games that will grab some attention if they can pull it out. See Belmont - UCLA last year. UCLA sucked but that win probably got Belmont an at large due to it being a P5 win. But apparently we just aren't going to see eye to eye on this. Besides we all know it does not really matter who you schedule during the year. We can schedule only P5 schools but if we do not win 2 or 3 games in March at the OVC tourney it doesn't matter the W-L record of those games.

I'm not accusing Peay of selling out or anything like that because God knows there are higher budget schools they could have scheduled and really got the crap kicked out of them. I think they put together a very respectable, challenging, competitive schedule with possible winnable games.
Like this! Liked

JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by JoeD » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:33 pm

So how many of those buy games does Peay win?
Like this! Liked
Im old enough to remember when being "politically correct" was understood to mean "not being a complete, racist, xenophobic a-hole". Good times...

murraygrad05
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by murraygrad05 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:21 pm

Does it really matter? I think you are missing the point here. It's not about winning those games as much as it is experiencing bigger, physical teams so that if they should happen to get in to the dance (Lord help us if they do) they are not deer in headlighted like we were with Florida St last year. I don't really care to be reamed by 30 on national TV again especially on the biggest stage. Notice I said POSSIBLE winnable games. They may lose four for all I know. But I do believe they will be competitive in those games. The experience is why I think it is a challenging, competitive respectable schedule.

Besides Tennessee, what games do you exactly find challenging on our OOC schedule? Wright St will be the highlight by far. But then Missouri St maybe in the parallel if not under achieving MVC? Miami (OH) laid a turd last year, Middle Tenn hasn't been good and same for SIU. I know that these are contractually a given since they are return games, but Kennesaw St?

I don't know about you but I'm ready to get over this hump and get in to the sweet 16 for a change and I just can't see how this schedule is going to challenge and prepare us enough to be that good.
Like this! Liked

JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by JoeD » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:09 am

Wright St is the highlight? What schedule are you looking at? We could play 3 of the top teams in the MVC, including the favorite, the Sun Belt favorite, oh and a top 3 team in the Horizon (you’re “highlight”).

And here is the thing about winnable games, you have to win them. If not, you’re MIssissippi Valley State. And their schedule looks like a lot of bad losses in the form of buy games.
Last edited by JoeD on Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Like this! Liked
Im old enough to remember when being "politically correct" was understood to mean "not being a complete, racist, xenophobic a-hole". Good times...

jayinbama
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by jayinbama » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:15 am

smidge34 wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:02 am
If going to a bunch of power schools for paydays is your idea of a good schedule then good for you, we aren’t on the same page and really have nothing to debate on the subject. I rate a good schedule on WINNABLE road games and a fun and competitive home experience for my several hundred $ investment. ZERO interest in being like so many of our conference brethren and that’s being thrilled at playing the role of power conference whipping boy for no return. No thanks, give me home and homes with the best non-power conference teams you can find and the occasional h & h with Auburn, etc. with “winnable” again being key. Going to UK or Duke for a payday is stupid.
For Murray it is probably stupid, but for many schools they take,those payday games to,cover cost of the program. Just a reality for many mid majors.
Like this! Liked

JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by JoeD » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:20 am

I do get that. But that is the entire point. Its not a good schedule because it is an excuse to make money, not to get better.

the big difference between the two schedules is this-

How many teams in the Racer schedule would you see as having a realistic chance to play in the NCAA tournament this season? (My guess is 4)

How man teams in peay's schedule would you see? (my guess is zero)
Like this! Liked

speck
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by speck » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:05 am

If you wanna be nobody play nobody, if you want to be somebody play somebody. As a fan I want to see a game where we are tested, not a 30 point blowout.
Like this! Liked

murraygrad05
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by murraygrad05 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:25 pm

Yep we are just going have to agree to disagree. I just don’t have the love affair with the MVC like some do. Our top 4 last ran circles around theirs. I was pulling for the move for a while but it seriously would be a parallel.
Like this! Liked

JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by JoeD » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:29 pm

If you think that the MVC is a “parallel” move to the OVC , you aren’t in disagreement with me, you’re in a disagreement with all the experts, math, and reality.
Like this! Liked

evvracerfan
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by evvracerfan » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:19 pm

The MVC is no question a better league top to bottom (the bottom makes the difference). They had their shot to land the Racers and they blew it. Our current AD has said he doesn't see the point in switching either, so the MVC move is dead for the time being - whether we like it or not.

I like playing MVC schools in home and home series in the pre-conference, but I'd like to see more games vs. power 5 schools even if those games are on the road. Those games prepare us for the conference games better than games vs. Multi-Directional State U. You can't beat MDSU by enough points to help your ratings. The fact that the Power 5 games also come with a payday and give us a shot at bigger exposure are a bonus. Scheduling Ole Miss, MS State, Bama, Vanderbilt, Tennessee and Auburn especially make sense with those states being strong recruiting grounds for us. Maybe even South Carolina or Clemson with our recent successes in that state. Two pay games per year would be fine with me, and if any of them will do a 2 for 1 deal like Auburn did that would be even better.
Like this! Liked

murraygrad05
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by murraygrad05 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:55 pm

Would these be the same “experts” that picked us 4th in the OVC? You can throw any number you want at me but the quality of play, at the top anyway, would not be an improvement. Yes I’ll give you that the bottom half MVC is better than OVC. But what did that get them come tournament time? A 12 or 13 seed?

At this point I could say the grass is green and you’d still argue.
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:59 pm

Thank god somebody with leadership and vision has been in charge of our program for a few decades instead of some of you. :crazy: You’d have us just another UT Martin pimping out our program to the highest bidder lmao ‘cause that philosophy has worked out well for them..... But you’re not thankfully.
Like this! Liked

murraygrad05
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by murraygrad05 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:23 pm

Let’s just eliminate all pay games and let our bankrupt state government fund the program.
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:58 pm

I hear what you’re saying but my point is we aren’t in the financial predicament, yet, where we have to fund our program on the road with no return. No offense to Head or Martin but that’s how they do it and frankly, I don’t see any reason to follow their lead. In fact we have bought a few games and I’d like to see our style remain. Now I won’t lie, I’m disappointed in our home schedule. I’m disappointed to see home and homes like Illinois State and Wright State disappear from our schedule and see patsies in their place, but with that said our historic method of scheduling has worked out far better than our conference mates’ style. That’s indisputable.
Like this! Liked

speck
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by speck » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:12 pm

We got to have a light schedule just to make sure we don't have another losing season, can you imagine what this board would look like if we did.
Like this! Liked

murraygrad05
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by murraygrad05 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:45 pm

smidge34 wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:58 pm
I hear what you’re saying but my point is we aren’t in the financial predicament, yet, where we have to fund our program on the road with no return. No offense to Head or Martin but that’s how they do it and frankly, I don’t see any reason to follow their lead. In fact we have bought a few games and I’d like to see our style remain. Now I won’t lie, I’m disappointed in our home schedule. I’m disappointed to see home and homes like Illinois State and Wright State disappear from our schedule and see patsies in their place, but with that said our historic method of scheduling has worked out far better than our conference mates’ style. That’s indisputable.
That’s what I’ve been trying to get at maybe not in the wording. We had such a strong season last year and I guess I was disappointed that we couldn’t really build any on it. There wasn’t anything to go wow I can’t wait for that game over. Without a few pay games though a mid major program just can’t survive. It’s just the way it is. I know we aren’t in a financial crisis but sadly we depend on that money. And if we can get winnable games that would look good on a resume then go for it. I’m still not believing that Peay “pimped” themself out because they scheduled games where they should hopefully not get embarrassed, and may come out with a win, unlike EKU going to sUK for a check and getting blown out of the gym. Peay’s is just not as bad of a schedule as some are making it out to be in my opinion.

I’d love to see Illinois State or Indiana St also because that was a good series. Arkansas State was also a great series. But I feel like we’ll never get over that second round curse we have unless we challenge ourselves against P5 schools without “pimping out” as you say. A good mix would be fantastic.
Like this! Liked

runningracer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by runningracer » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:13 am

I don't have a problem with Peay's schedule. They are a veteran team, and while it will be challenging, they do have some winnable games. Each of those four teams will have a chance to be competitive in their conferences, and they could win a couple, or lose them all. Vanderbilt and Georgia will be replacing some players and it may take some time for them to gel. Peay is going to be a challenge this year for anyone they play. A lot depends on their new point guard and whether or not their outside game is working. They will play defense and that will keep them close in most games. Their scheduling of these type of games is a lot different from Martin's usually scheduling those types of games, though Martin may be better this year.
Concerning Murray's schedule, don't sell it short. Missouri State will be a bear, and Evansville will be tough to beat on the road. I would imagine that their coach has our game circled on his calendar. Tennessee will be tough at Knoxville in an atmosphere that will be a new experience for the inexperienced guys, and a new point guard. Wright State will be good, and Miami will be improved. Weber State beat us by as much as they wanted to a few years ago, so don't overlook anyone. When you do that is when you lose to a Kennesaw State, or a SWAC team. I think the weak NAIA and Division II teams are the big problems with the schedule, but I guess the team needs some games that let them get used to playing together without a lot of pressure. Comparing this schedule to some in the past, they don't look that different.
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:18 am

We don’t play Wright State.
Like this! Liked

runningracer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by runningracer » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:03 am

We might, and we might not. Hard to say right now, as it comes down to how the tournament comes out. The press release says that we play LaSalle first game, and then either Weber State, or Wright State. I am assuming it will be based on how the teams do in the first game. Either way, we get a quality opponent in the second game.
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:44 am

I hope both of us playing in that tourney is why no home and home. Imagine if we could have kept both Wright State and Illinois State series from season before last going forward smh. THAT kind of schedule, playing home and homes with other good non-big budgets is how you build your brand and play competition to ready you for tournament. We get far more out of a series with Illinois State that a payday at Tennessee. No way I’d want to go on some 3 or 4 game road swing through the power 5/6 for a stinking bunch of paydays like some of our conference brethren with no return.
Like this! Liked

Explore Kentucky Lake