Flashback: Billy Kennedy, Respect and Faith

This forum is for the discussion of the men's basketball team.
Racer Insider Will
TRN POY
TRN POY

Flashback: Billy Kennedy, Respect and Faith

Post by Racer Insider Will » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:17 am

It's hard to believe this was nine years ago. Billy's little girl isn't so little anymore LOL. She's probably about ready for college. As we honor the 2010 Racer basketball team today and tomorrow, I look forward to seeing some old friends. I hold Billy in very high regard. http://murraysports.net/0802192.htm
Like this! Liked
When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies? Perhaps to be too practical is madness. To surrender dreams — this too may be madness. Too much sanity may be madness — and maddest of all: to see life as it is, and not as it should be!

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Re: Flashback: Billy Kennedy, Respect and Faith

Post by smidge34 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:21 am

I do too Will. He took a program that had basically been left decimated by the prior regime and nurtured it back to health the right way. We are still reaping the benefits. Imho this is as much his program as anybody’s.
Like this! Liked

HoptownRacer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by HoptownRacer » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:10 pm

I completely agree. Lindy messaged me on here the night before Billy was hired because I was concerned that the Bama assistant who used to be an assistant at Murray (Pearson?) was going to get the job and Lindy talked me off the ledge and told me Billy got it. You can make a case that Coach Greene and Coach Kennedy turned out to be the most important hires in the modern era of Racer basketball because of what they inherited and the finished product. It could have gotten BAD if the right guy wasn't given the keys.
Like this! Liked

runningracer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by runningracer » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:19 pm

what he did that first year was nothing short of a miracle. There were only three players returning, and one of those was recovering from an injury. He assembled a full team, after a late hire, and had a winning season. A tribute to his ability to evaluate talent, and recruit. He showed his strength of character by refusing to bring in those who could play, but had discipline problems. Instead, he brought in some very talented players, worked to develop them, and took the program to a higher level. A tip of the cap to Mr. Kennedy for the continued success of Murray State.
Like this! Liked

msuowns
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by msuowns » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:37 pm

Nobody in coaching deserves to be financially secure now as Billy is. It’s so difficult for the few, classy people in coaching to be a huge success at every stop. He was a success at A & M, but change is the reality in most high profile leagues.
Like this! Liked
"Home, home again I like to be here when I can. When I come home cold and tired, it's good to warm my bones by the fire".

Explore Kentucky Lake