Interesting read- Best Program in the OVC

This forum is for the discussion of the men's basketball team.
JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Interesting read- Best Program in the OVC

Post by JoeD » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:06 pm

https://watchstadium.com/news/ohio-valley-basketball-coaches-rank-the-best-jobs-in-the-conference-06-07-2019/
Like this! Liked
Im old enough to remember when being "politically correct" was understood to mean "not being a complete, racist, xenophobic a-hole". Good times...

02Racer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Re: Interesting read- Best Program in the OVC

Post by 02Racer » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:34 pm

“Recruiting base, 5th place” :wtf:

If they were going to base it strictly on city size, they should have just called it that. That shit don’t matter when you’re nationwide.

:mic:
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:42 pm

I’d say we are a couple hours north of a hotbed of recruiting that’s been awfully good to us.
Like this! Liked

murraygrad05
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by murraygrad05 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:04 am

I'm not sure I'm buying this article.

Peay and Jacksonville draw well? Maybe when they play us.

Moreheads arena is nice but too big? Yea the 20 foot ceiling fans are top notch.

Funny how it talks about us being in the middle of nowhere with nothing around us but talks about other schools being in a good place being 3 or 4 hours from a metro city.
Like this! Liked

msuowns
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by msuowns » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:02 pm

Tell us something we don't know. Chance for an interesting article and it was garbage.
Like this! Liked
"Home, home again I like to be here when I can. When I come home cold and tired, it's good to warm my bones by the fire".

evvracerfan
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by evvracerfan » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:28 pm

Evidently Indianapolis is in Morehead’s recruiting base - a 4 hour one-way drive away. And on what planet is SIUE’s arena considered “good”?
Like this! Liked

racerlover
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by racerlover » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:37 pm

Based on the comments here, I take it that there's no need to click on the link.
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:23 pm

If you’ve read one outsider’s perspective over the years you’ve basically read them all lol. Nothing new here.
Like this! Liked

racerlover
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by racerlover » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:21 pm

Completely off topic, kinda, but I've often wondered what if the university had been founded/located in Paducah. How much bigger would the university be? Would we have a better arena and have better concerts and events? Located on an interstate, would that be a bigger advantage? I love Murray, but it is out of the way. I live in Benton, but the only time I go to Murray is for a game or to visit mom. Just some random thoughts because I'm bored in the offseason.
Like this! Liked

murraygrad05
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by murraygrad05 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:52 pm

racerlover wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:21 pm
Completely off topic, kinda, but I've often wondered what if the university had been founded/located in Paducah. How much bigger would the university be? Would we have a better arena and have better concerts and events? Located on an interstate, would that be a bigger advantage? I love Murray, but it is out of the way. I live in Benton, but the only time I go to Murray is for a game or to visit mom. Just some random thoughts because I'm bored in the offseason.
I can name quite a few "bigger" programs that are in the middle of nothing. Ole Miss in Oxford Mississippi; Texas A&M in College Station; Missouri in Columbia; Clemson in the ACC... Our university would be "bigger" if we were receiving the funding these schools get from the state and their conference.

The only thing I believe hurting us the most is the airport situation. If we had the size and capabilities of Barkley then I think we would have better chances of getting high profile teams to at least consider coming to town.
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:11 am

Thank God the crew from Murray bribed Governor Edwin P. Morrow with that bag of cash and we got the university or we’d look like another Benton holding tater day parades. :wink:
Like this! Liked

runningracer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by runningracer » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:41 am

Having lived in large cities, Murray has everything a person needs, without traffic where it takes an hour to get to work. Within 50 years the Purchase area will be a regional area, with a four lane highways linking most of the communities. The only thing lacking is a major airport, but Barkley will grow, once the four lane is completed from Paducah. There are many opportunities available in this area, once we get businesses to recognize what this region can provide. Besides, I enjoy Tater Day. This is an area much preferable to the crime found in areas of Memphis, Detroit, or Atlanta. At least you don't have to worry about the safety of your children.
Like this! Liked

msuowns
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by msuowns » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:14 am

runningracer wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:41 am
Having lived in large cities, Murray has everything a person needs, without traffic where it takes an hour to get to work. Within 50 years the Purchase area will be a regional area, with a four lane highways linking most of the communities. The only thing lacking is a major airport, but Barkley will grow, once the four lane is completed from Paducah. There are many opportunities available in this area, once we get businesses to recognize what this region can provide. Besides, I enjoy Tater Day. This is an area much preferable to the crime found in areas of Memphis, Detroit, or Atlanta. At least you don't have to worry about the safety of your children.
the four lane u are talking about is, completing the 4 lane to Barlow, then Wickliffe?
Like this! Liked
"Home, home again I like to be here when I can. When I come home cold and tired, it's good to warm my bones by the fire".

Kentucky Lake
TRN Benchwarmer
TRN Benchwarmer

Post by Kentucky Lake » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:45 pm

I'm personally tired of hearing "there's nothing to do in Murray". People who complain about the lack of stuff to do are those you can't typically please.

What is there in bigger cities that Murray doesn't have for college students? That is a serious question. I don't know. Clubs? If we had a club, it would be lame after a month. And then if we had a second club, it would be lame the next month. I don't get it. Someone tell me.

There's plenty to do around here, especially if you love the outdoors (I might be a bit biased :wink: )
Like this! Liked
"This is Murray State. Regardless of who we have I don’t see how you could pick us eighth. It’s disrespectful to us. We should never be picked worse than third. I don’t care who we have." - Shawn Witherspoon, 9-19-06

JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by JoeD » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:17 pm

The things that are said are from OVC coaches. If nothing else we get to see how coaches recruit against us
Like this! Liked
Im old enough to remember when being "politically correct" was understood to mean "not being a complete, racist, xenophobic a-hole". Good times...

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:44 pm

As if some 2nd year, number 3 assistant at EIU for instance is really qualified to discuss Murray.
Like this! Liked

murraygrad05
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by murraygrad05 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:21 pm

We have the best recruiting tool in the OVC when a kid walks in the arena and sees 6 conference championship banners and 4 NCAA tourney's since 2010.

It also doesn't hurt that we got all kinds of free recruiting without ever having to leave campus this season with the Ja show.
Like this! Liked

Explore Kentucky Lake