Draft Party

This forum is for the discussion of the men's basketball team.
Dan T
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Re: Draft Party

Post by Dan T » Tue May 21, 2019 4:00 pm

There are various ways to participate in recreational drug usage in any community. I have no interest in fostering such at our university's athletic events. People can partake right before they come in and right after they get back to their vehicle.
Like this! Liked

racerlover
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by racerlover » Tue May 21, 2019 6:21 pm

Dan T wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 4:00 pm
There are various ways to participate in recreational drug usage in any community. I have no interest in fostering such at our university's athletic events. People can partake right before they come in and right after they get back to their vehicle.
But no one is making you drink, so how is it up to you to tell others that they shouldn't be allowed to purchase beer at a game? Just wondering. This is giving me flashbacks of the early 00's wet/dry debate and how Murray was going to turn to doom and gloom.
Like this! Liked

Blue N Gold
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by Blue N Gold » Tue May 21, 2019 6:58 pm

NKYRacer wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 4:01 pm
I'll say this, EVERYONE in the athletic department is fully aware of the train wreck the consessions were after the Sodexo takeover. AD is on the case and you can mark my words, it will be fixed for next season.

BTW no alcohol tho, it's not the conference or the university, it's the state ABC office. They will issue catering licences and some one off event licences but not one they can use for BB/FB consessions.
So unless the state board changes it's mind....
I'm pretty sure you can buy beer at Western and Eastern KY football games. And I'm pretty sure Murray's special events that serve alcohol hire someone like The Apple to bartend (and thus use their license). That could have changed with Sodexo's contract but not sure.
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Tue May 21, 2019 7:01 pm

Dan T wrote:
I agree Dan, there was nothing gained by my experience buying that tequila shot except that I could honestly. It could get out of control.

**edit: I 95% agree in case it ever happens because I’ll need that 5% so you won’t think me a hypocrite when you see me with that tall one! :wink:
Like this! Liked

Blue N Gold
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by Blue N Gold » Tue May 21, 2019 7:04 pm

02Racer wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 7:20 am
smidge34 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 6:38 am
So how does everyone else serve booze? I bought shots at Freedom Hall when we played UL in like 2003.
Freedom Hall, YUM center, etc. are not located on university property.
What about Western and Eastern's football stadiums that serve beer?
Like this! Liked

Blue N Gold
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by Blue N Gold » Tue May 21, 2019 7:12 pm

bjhracer wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 1:43 pm
So it seems to me the university and the city could change the zoning of the property North of the wellness center. If that was done then in wouldn’t technically be on university property therefore you could get a license.
So how would a zoning change make the property no longer University property? Who's property would it become? And for the record I am not in support of alcohol sales at games.
Like this! Liked

racerlover
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by racerlover » Tue May 21, 2019 7:33 pm

Honestly, basketball attendance is fine, but perhaps $2 drafts at football games may put some asses in the stands. Just a thought.
Like this! Liked

msuowns
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by msuowns » Tue May 21, 2019 7:39 pm

racerlover wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 7:33 pm
Honestly, basketball attendance is fine, but perhaps $2 drafts at football games may put some asses in the stands. Just a thought.
The toilets would be rockin. Powers that be have to change with the times, this isn’t the easy 70’s. We need other revenue streams.
Like this! Liked
"Home, home again I like to be here when I can. When I come home cold and tired, it's good to warm my bones by the fire".

Dan T
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by Dan T » Tue May 21, 2019 7:44 pm

racerlover wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 6:21 pm
Dan T wrote:
But no one is making you drink, so how is it up to you to tell others that they shouldn't be allowed to purchase beer at a game? Just wondering. This is giving me flashbacks of the early 00's wet/dry debate and how Murray was going to turn to doom and gloom.
It's not up to me. I never said it was. I just have no interest in seeing it happen.
Like this! Liked

02Racer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by 02Racer » Tue May 21, 2019 8:23 pm

Blue N Gold wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 7:04 pm
02Racer wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 7:20 am
smidge34 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 6:38 am
So how does everyone else serve booze? I bought shots at Freedom Hall when we played UL in like 2003.
Freedom Hall, YUM center, etc. are not located on university property.
What about Western and Eastern's football stadiums that serve beer?
I’ve never been to a football game at WKU or EKU, but from what I’ve been told they get around the regulations by only offering limited sales in an enclosed area so it’s treated as a catered event instead of open sales. I don’t know for sure, but that’s how it was explained to me.
Like this! Liked

speck
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by speck » Tue May 21, 2019 9:51 pm

I can't imagine how hard it would be on OVC refs if they sold beer at the game.
Like this! Liked

Ghughes
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by Ghughes » Tue May 21, 2019 11:26 pm

After some research on Kentucky Revised Statutes on the sale, manufacture, and distribution of alcohol, the following information is what I have discovered in relation to the discussion here about selling beer at home basketball or football games.
Whether or not alcoholic beverages are sold at an athletic arena or anywhere else for that matter, on a university campus is a matter of the university’s policy on such. It has nothing to do with local zoning ordinances.
In the cases of University of Louisville and the University of Kentucky, the basketball arenas are not on university property and are not owned or operated by the university. In Louisville, the YUM Center is owned and operated by the Louisville Arena Authority. $2 of every ticket sold for UL basketball games goes directly to the LAA. As we all know, Rupp Arena is also an off-campus arena, also owned and operated by a “tourism and convention” authority. I did not dig as deep for info here but assume that the authority has financial arrangements with UK like the ones in Louisville. In both cases, Louisville and Lexington local governments provided tax incentives to the organizations and assisted in fund raising for buying property and building the facilities.
Interestingly, a recent annual financial report for the YUM center showed that the LAA took in a little over $9 million, with expenses coming in a little under that, yielding about a $250,000 net profit for that fiscal period.
If a university is to allow sales at say, football and basketball games, the governing body of that university must adopt policies to allow it, which conform to state and local alcohol sales laws and ordinances. According to the University of Kentucky’s website, there are several policies and regulations spelled out regarding sale and distribution of alcoholic beverages on or in campus facilities. So, it is possible that UK allows alcohol sales at Kroger Field, but I do not know if they do or not. If so, most likely the license belongs to the approved vendor at the site, and they would be responsible for following all the legal requirements. EKU and WKU basketball and football facilities are situated on their campuses and owned by the universities. If alcohol is sold at any of those places, it is because the university has implemented required policies, etc. Perhaps the explanation 02Racer got about WKU is the case there though.
At Murray State, the best information I can find from the university website is that current Board of Regents policies do not allow alcohol sales on university property. It would take a big change on the part of the BOR to allow alcohol to be sold at either football or basketball games. Or, the university would have to sell the properties (land, buildings, etc.) to an autonomous “arena or tourism commission”, which could then implement alcohol sales according to prevailing laws. The university or athletic department would then have to negotiate facility use fees with ownership.
Frankly, I don’t see either option ever happening here.
Like this! Liked

NKYRacer
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by NKYRacer » Thu May 23, 2019 10:03 am

Blue N Gold wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 6:58 pm
NKYRacer wrote:
I'll say this, EVERYONE in the athletic department is fully aware of the train wreck the consessions were after the Sodexo takeover. AD is on the case and you can mark my words, it will be fixed for next season.

BTW no alcohol tho, it's not the conference or the university, it's the state ABC office. They will issue catering licences and some one off event licences but not one they can use for BB/FB consessions.
I'm pretty sure you can buy beer at Western and Eastern KY football games. And I'm pretty sure Murray's special events that serve alcohol hire someone like The Apple to bartend (and thus use their license). That could have changed with Sodexo's contract but not sure.
When you "hire someone" to bartend they have to have either a catering license (which Sodexo has for thier Murray operation) or a one off event license (like for a Freedom Fest or a concert) but the Apple cannot serve alcohol somewhere else with thier license for thier physical location.

The state has already told Sodexo no on a license to sell to the general public at the CFSB center for basketball games. (I know a guy) Haven't heard about football so I think that might happen.

The basketball thing might change but for now it's a no.
Like this! Liked

Blue N Gold
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by Blue N Gold » Thu May 23, 2019 9:23 pm

NKYRacer wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 10:03 am
Blue N Gold wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 6:58 pm
NKYRacer wrote:

When you "hire someone" to bartend they have to have either a catering license (which Sodexo has for thier Murray operation) or a one off event license (like for a Freedom Fest or a concert) but the Apple cannot serve alcohol somewhere else with thier license for thier physical location.

The state has already told Sodexo no on a license to sell to the general public at the CFSB center for basketball games. (I know a guy) Haven't heard about football so I think that might happen.

The basketball thing might change but for now it's a no.
I'm pretty sure The Apple has a catering license and if they don't, the owner's other business does.
Like this! Liked

Ghughes
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by Ghughes » Fri May 24, 2019 2:37 pm

The Big Apple does have a catering license, according to their website. As speculated earlier, it's part of the owner's other business, the Murray Banquet Center. The Big Apple offers full catering lineup from food to music & dj's and wait staff. So it's possible that the Apple could cater a private event at Stewart Stadium or CFSB Center for Racer Club members prior to a home game and up through halftime, as an example. But that would still require the Board Of Regents enacting a new alcohol sales policy on university property.
Like this! Liked

speck
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by speck » Fri May 24, 2019 3:47 pm

This topic has gone from draft party to draft beer.
Like this! Liked

Blue N Gold
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by Blue N Gold » Fri May 24, 2019 10:37 pm

Ghughes wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 2:37 pm
The Big Apple does have a catering license, according to their website. As speculated earlier, it's part of the owner's other business, the Murray Banquet Center. The Big Apple offers full catering lineup from food to music & dj's and wait staff. So it's possible that the Apple could cater a private event at Stewart Stadium or CFSB Center for Racer Club members prior to a home game and up through halftime, as an example. But that would still require the Board Of Regents enacting a new alcohol sales policy on university property.
All I know is I have bought and/or been provided with alcohol at CFSB Center and Lovett multiple times at various university events over the past 10 years. I think we've (me included) beaten this horse to death. I don't even remember how we got to this topic.
Like this! Liked

NKYRacer
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by NKYRacer » Fri May 24, 2019 10:42 pm

Ghughes wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 2:37 pm
And Sodexo can do THAT right now as well.
speck wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 3:47 pm
This topic has gone from draft party to draft beer.
Sorry bout that.

Like this! Liked

speck
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by speck » Tue May 28, 2019 8:35 pm

Upcoming concert, Tap 216 Platinum room in the bank, where is this room ?
Like this! Liked

NKYRacer
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by NKYRacer » Thu May 30, 2019 8:19 pm

speck wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 8:35 pm
Upcoming concert, Tap 216 Platinum room in the bank, where is this room ?
What does it matter, the concert is garbage.
Like this! Liked

Explore Kentucky Lake