Draft Party

This forum is for the discussion of the men's basketball team.
User avatar
RacerPreacher
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup
Posts: 402
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:38 am
x 371

Draft Party

Post by RacerPreacher » Thu May 16, 2019 9:20 am

https://goracers.com/news/2019/5/15/mens-basketball-watch-ja-morant-on-the-big-stage-at-nba-draft-party.aspx

I'm not sure how I feel about this event. The draft party for Cam was at the CFSB Center and free for families to enjoy. It was truly a night to celebrate the program with the Racer Family. It seems like every event now is just another fundraiser to get more money out of our pockets. I'm not going to pay $30 for every member of my family to watch something on television that I can watch for free at home. Not to mention the event is not even on campus.
Like this! Liked
“I hate to lose more than I love to win.”

MolineRacer
TRN POY
TRN POY
Posts: 1430
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:02 pm
Location: Thompsons Station, TN
x 251

Re: Draft Party

Post by MolineRacer » Thu May 16, 2019 11:25 am

Our programs need all the outside financial support they can get. I would love to attend this but I don’t live in Murray.
Like this! Liked
section 109 STAND UP!

User avatar
racerlover
TRN All-American
TRN All-American
Posts: 2341
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:25 am
Location: Murray, KY.
x 509

Re: Draft Party

Post by racerlover » Thu May 16, 2019 2:33 pm

Should include an open bar for that price. Lol
Like this! Liked

speck
TRN MVP
TRN MVP
Posts: 796
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:50 am
x 430

Re: Draft Party

Post by speck » Thu May 16, 2019 4:00 pm

racerlover wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 2:33 pm
Should include an open bar for that price. Lol
And a Ribeye, salad, baked potato and strawberry pie.
Like this! Liked

Ghughes
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man
Posts: 196
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:41 pm
Location: Murray, KY
x 124

Re: Draft Party

Post by Ghughes » Thu May 16, 2019 5:50 pm

Just a little speculation on my part here. But I’d say that Athletics is wary of Sodexo catering at the draft party. You’re definitely going to get much better vittles at the county club...
Like this! Liked

User avatar
JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend
Posts: 7778
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:07 pm
x 1226

Re: Draft Party

Post by JoeD » Thu May 16, 2019 6:31 pm

Hey but we saved money, right?
Like this! Liked
Im old enough to remember when being "politically correct" was understood to mean "not being a complete, racist, xenophobic a-hole". Good times...

User avatar
racerlover
TRN All-American
TRN All-American
Posts: 2341
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:25 am
Location: Murray, KY.
x 509

Re: Draft Party

Post by racerlover » Thu May 16, 2019 6:47 pm

Why don't we all chip in and get one of those giant subs from Subway? I bring some two liters and ice. Anyone down with bringing the cups and plates?
Like this! Liked

User avatar
02Racer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American
Posts: 3001
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:47 pm
Location: Murray
x 1461

Re: Draft Party

Post by 02Racer » Thu May 16, 2019 7:14 pm

Sodexo is a joke.
Like this! Liked
109

User avatar
msuowns
TRN Legend
TRN Legend
Posts: 5652
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:57 pm
Location: Paducah
x 563

Re: Draft Party

Post by msuowns » Thu May 16, 2019 9:08 pm

02Racer wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 7:14 pm
Sodexo is a joke.
Cheap food? Etc?
Like this! Liked
"Home, home again I like to be here when I can. When I come home cold and tired, it's good to warm my bones by the fire".

User avatar
msuowns
TRN Legend
TRN Legend
Posts: 5652
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:57 pm
Location: Paducah
x 563

Re: Draft Party

Post by msuowns » Thu May 16, 2019 9:09 pm

RacerPreacher wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 9:20 am
https://goracers.com/news/2019/5/15/mens-basketball-watch-ja-morant-on-the-big-stage-at-nba-draft-party.aspx

I'm not sure how I feel about this event. The draft party for Cam was at the CFSB Center and free for families to enjoy. It was truly a night to celebrate the program with the Racer Family. It seems like every event now is just another fundraiser to get more money out of our pockets. I'm not going to pay $30 for every member of my family to watch something on television that I can watch for free at home. Not to mention the event is not even on campus.
I can never get turned off if any fundraisers for MSU athletics.
Like this! Liked
"Home, home again I like to be here when I can. When I come home cold and tired, it's good to warm my bones by the fire".

Blue N Gold
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:51 pm
x 167

Re: Draft Party

Post by Blue N Gold » Thu May 16, 2019 9:25 pm

I don't know much about Sodexo but from what I've heard the students are pretty excited about them taking over. If the students are happy and it's saving the University money then I think it's a win-win. I know there were some complaints about concessions but I think the positives outweigh the negatives. I was at almost every game and never was inconvenienced. If you wait until halftime to get a drink, there's going to be line.

As far as the venue for the Draft Party, you won't find better food around this area than the country club. But more importantly, instead of a draft party costing the Univ money to put on at the Bank we make a little off it. Sounds smart to me.
Like this! Liked

User avatar
JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend
Posts: 7778
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:07 pm
x 1226

Re: Draft Party

Post by JoeD » Thu May 16, 2019 9:31 pm

Students are excited about PROMISES. Nothing happened so far.
Like this! Liked
Im old enough to remember when being "politically correct" was understood to mean "not being a complete, racist, xenophobic a-hole". Good times...

walleye14
TRN MVP
TRN MVP
Posts: 557
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:18 pm
Location: Nashville, TN
x 67
Contact:

Re: Draft Party

Post by walleye14 » Thu May 16, 2019 11:05 pm

racerlover wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 6:47 pm
Why don't we all chip in and get one of those giant subs from Subway? I bring some two liters and ice. Anyone down with bringing the cups and plates?
We aren't UT Martin :lol:
Like this! Liked
Home of 42 OVC Championships
16 NCAA Appereances
28 Consecutive Winning Seasons
ESPN Top 30 Basketball Program

THIS IS RACER BASKETBALL

User avatar
smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT
Posts: 10647
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:52 am
Location: Follow me on Twitter: @Smidge342003
x 3981

Re: Draft Party

Post by smidge34 » Fri May 17, 2019 5:47 am

Anybody who was at the games knows full well confessions were a cluster this year roflmao! Good grief with the fake news mister.
Like this! Liked

Blue N Gold
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:51 pm
x 167

Re: Draft Party

Post by Blue N Gold » Fri May 17, 2019 7:27 am

smidge34 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 5:47 am
Anybody who was at the games knows full well confessions were a cluster this year roflmao! Good grief with the fake news mister.
I think I missed 2 games and never noticed any significant issues. That being said, I ate before I came and only bought an occasional drink or pretzel so my experience may differ from yours. If the line was too long I just didn't get one. I choose not to "sweat the small stuff" (and there's a lot of small stuff in this world).
Like this! Liked

evvracerfan
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup
Posts: 327
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:24 pm
x 450

Re: Draft Party

Post by evvracerfan » Fri May 17, 2019 7:42 am

It was hard not to notice that several games we had big crowds and there were only 2 concession stands open with huge lines - and both were on the same side of the building. The concession situation at the basketball games would have to improve to get to below average.
Like this! Liked

User avatar
smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT
Posts: 10647
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:52 am
Location: Follow me on Twitter: @Smidge342003
x 3981

Re: Draft Party

Post by smidge34 » Fri May 17, 2019 9:34 am

We live in an era where folks just make up whatever truth they choose to believe.
Like this! Liked

User avatar
Kentucky Lake
TRN Benchwarmer
TRN Benchwarmer
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2003 8:17 pm
Location: 36.645N 88.063W
x 148

Re: Draft Party

Post by Kentucky Lake » Fri May 17, 2019 12:21 pm

Blue N Gold wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 7:27 am
smidge34 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 5:47 am
Anybody who was at the games knows full well confessions were a cluster this year roflmao! Good grief with the fake news mister.
I think I missed 2 games and never noticed any significant issues. That being said, I ate before I came and only bought an occasional drink or pretzel so my experience may differ from yours. If the line was too long I just didn't get one. I choose not to "sweat the small stuff" (and there's a lot of small stuff in this world).
Me and my guests had a bad experience both times we used the concession stands this year. I mentioned this after the Austin Peay game, so I'm beating a dead horse - but there were literally six cash registers available for 9,012 people. I personally had to stand in line 30 minutes and I know others did, too - and it wasn't even halftime.

Another game where there weren't as many people I had to wait 20 minutes. The concession stands were a total disaster this past season and I hope it's corrected.
Like this! Liked
"This is Murray State. Regardless of who we have I don’t see how you could pick us eighth. It’s disrespectful to us. We should never be picked worse than third. I don’t care who we have." - Shawn Witherspoon, 9-19-06

murraygrad05
TRN MVP
TRN MVP
Posts: 831
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:57 pm
x 695

Re: Draft Party

Post by murraygrad05 » Fri May 17, 2019 12:34 pm

I remember the Missouri State game which only had a 4,000 or so crowd. My son and I went to the concession stand at the first media timeout and got back to our seats with 3 minutes left in the half. The next game we brought in snacks. I missed the games with 9,000 plus so I can only guess it was a major headache.
Like this! Liked

speck
TRN MVP
TRN MVP
Posts: 796
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:50 am
x 430

Re: Draft Party

Post by speck » Fri May 17, 2019 3:25 pm

You had choices, wait in line at concessions or watch the game.
Like this! Liked

Post Reply
Explore Kentucky Lake