If you are trying to register an account please use a valid email address. You may need to check your Junk/Spam/Social folder for the activation email.

Teams Sweating It Out

This forum is for the discussion of the men's basketball team.
75Fan
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Teams Sweating It Out

Post by 75Fan » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:47 pm

I've got 10 teams that are sweating out the next couple of days that have a good chance of making the tournament and also, not making the tournament depending on the outcome of the conference championships.

Here's the 10 teams.....

Memphis
Dayton
Nebraska
Indiana
Georgetown
Old Dominion
Yale
Fresno State
Oregon
East Tennessee State
Like this! Liked

6 ETHICS OF LIFE

1. BEFORE YOU PRAY..........BELIEVE.
2. BEFORE YOU SPEAK.......LISTEN.
3. BEFORE YOU SPEND......EARN.
4. BEFORE YOU WRITE.......THINK.
5. BEFORE YOU QUIT...........TRY.
6. BEFORE YOU DIE.............LIVE.

75Fan
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Re: Teams Sweating It Out

Post by 75Fan » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:48 pm

I have Belmont In as of now as well as UNC Greensboro.

Furman and Lipscomb are likely out.
Like this! Liked

6 ETHICS OF LIFE

1. BEFORE YOU PRAY..........BELIEVE.
2. BEFORE YOU SPEAK.......LISTEN.
3. BEFORE YOU SPEND......EARN.
4. BEFORE YOU WRITE.......THINK.
5. BEFORE YOU QUIT...........TRY.
6. BEFORE YOU DIE.............LIVE.

BubbaRacer
TRN Recruit
TRN Recruit

Post by BubbaRacer » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:16 pm

Of that group I think only Oregon gets in. Belmont sho7ld, but i doubt they get in.
Like this! Liked

racerlover
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by racerlover » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:21 pm

On a completely uneducated guess, I'm giving Belmont a 5% chance of getting in. Life in the OVC.
Like this! Liked

racerlover
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by racerlover » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:35 pm

It has completely made my Saturday night watching wku lose another conference championship game. In front of a crowd of 995. :lol:
Like this! Liked

msuowns
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by msuowns » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:29 pm

racerlover wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:35 pm
It has completely made my Saturday night watching wku lose another conference championship game. In front of a crowd of 995. :lol:
Yep love it, makes my night too. Season is over. Gosh I wish I could post on their loser board. They were going to be all world with bassey and they ended up all squat.
Like this! Liked
"Home, home again I like to be here when I can. When I come home cold and tired, it's good to warm my bones by the fire".

racerlover
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by racerlover » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:11 pm

I did go over peruse their board, of which many members are on suicide watch, and found this rich comment:

ODU is a really good defensive team, we had already played twice, no one had any surprises. The calls we got against North Texas, the calls we got against SoMiss, we didn't get against ODU.

Didn't get the calls? wku shot 24 free throws vs Old Dominion's 9. Not to mention the no call on one popper player that took literally six steps and didn't get called for traveling. Anyway, look for wku to be in the CIT, CBI, QVC or whatever tournament that means nothing.
Like this! Liked

msuowns
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by msuowns » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:17 am

racerlover wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:11 pm
I did go over peruse their board, of which many members are on suicide watch, and found this rich comment:

ODU is a really good defensive team, we had already played twice, no one had any surprises. The calls we got against North Texas, the calls we got against SoMiss, we didn't get against ODU.

Didn't get the calls? wku shot 24 free throws vs Old Dominion's 9. Not to mention the no call on one popper player that took literally six steps and didn't get called for traveling. Anyway, look for wku to be in the CIT, CBI, QVC or whatever tournament that means nothing.
wku program is cbi or cit, but they have banned the pill poppers from playing where they are a good fit.that idiot homer at the cj keeps talking wku up all season. we have made the cj twice this whole season. they will never sniff a lottery player.
Like this! Liked
"Home, home again I like to be here when I can. When I come home cold and tired, it's good to warm my bones by the fire".

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:34 am

Love reading this. They’re not all stupid, just most.
It’s been TEN years since we’ve made the NCAA Tournament with a meaningful seed (I’m not counting 16 seeds and play in games). Ten.
The hard truth is that we’ve been passed by Murray State. They’ve been three times since then. Northern Kentucky has been twice and they’ve only been a D1 program for like six years.
We love to throw out our “rich history” but that’s becoming more and more worthless (that doesn’t demean those teams) but no 18 year old kid even knows who Clem Haskins is, much less Ed Diddle or Jim Richards. 18 year old kids don’t even know who Ralph Willard is.
For a program with the level of support that ours has, the results over the last 10 years are astonishing. We are the fifth best school in this state and worse yet, U of L is trending back up. We already know we can’t or won’t sniff UK. I guess my level of frustration with our basketball program has spilled over a little with tonight’s loss, but I’m sick and tired of seeing all the success at Murray and NKU and U of L and UK and having our butts whipped year in and year out by a private school in Nashville who consistently wins 25 games a year.
Worse yet, I have no optimism that we will be any better next year. We never got better as the season progressed and I’ll be shocked if we 1) don’t have massive player turnover this summer and 2) lose a few players for various reasons including their inability to focus on basketball rather than other activities.
Things have to change
Like this! Liked

msuowns
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by msuowns » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:03 am

smidge34 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:34 am
Love reading this. They’re not all stupid, just most.
It’s been TEN years since we’ve made the NCAA Tournament with a meaningful seed (I’m not counting 16 seeds and play in games). Ten.
The hard truth is that we’ve been passed by Murray State. They’ve been three times since then. Northern Kentucky has been twice and they’ve only been a D1 program for like six years.
We love to throw out our “rich history” but that’s becoming more and more worthless (that doesn’t demean those teams) but no 18 year old kid even knows who Clem Haskins is, much less Ed Diddle or Jim Richards. 18 year old kids don’t even know who Ralph Willard is.
For a program with the level of support that ours has, the results over the last 10 years are astonishing. We are the fifth best school in this state and worse yet, U of L is trending back up. We already know we can’t or won’t sniff UK. I guess my level of frustration with our basketball program has spilled over a little with tonight’s loss, but I’m sick and tired of seeing all the success at Murray and NKU and U of L and UK and having our butts whipped year in and year out by a private school in Nashville who consistently wins 25 games a year.
Worse yet, I have no optimism that we will be any better next year. We never got better as the season progressed and I’ll be shocked if we 1) don’t have massive player turnover this summer and 2) lose a few players for various reasons including their inability to focus on basketball rather than other activities.
Things have to change
smidge, u stole my thunder, had it copied and ready to paste. :banana: :banana:
Like this! Liked

racerlover
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by racerlover » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:14 am

I've said it once and I'll say it again...they sold out their basketball program so they could have bowl series football. And a reminder that only a couple handfuls of schools will ever be able to compete for a football championship. wku will never be one of them. Had MTSU and wku stayed in the OVC and we didn't bring in SEMO and UTM, I firmly believe that the conference, in basketball, would be right up there with the MVC. Their fans deep down know this, but will never admit it. So...here we are, mired in a mainly terrible conference, while they are irrelevant in basketball and saddled with one hell of a travel budget. They got what they deserved. Eff em! They're truly beneath us.
Like this! Liked

runningracer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by runningracer » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:20 am

If they are looking for a coach, I understand Ray Harper has feelers out looking to move. Western will end up in the NIT. I hope they have to play against Belmont in the first round, and lose another game to an OVC team this year. That is, if Belmont is not in the NCAA. On second thought maybe they will go to the NIT and draw Jacksonville State in the first round. Any time Western loses it is like another fourth of July. As far as the Western fans complaining about the officials, I will play the world's smallest violin in their honor.
:violin: :violin: :violin: :violin:
Like this! Liked

JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by JoeD » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:32 am

It would take some really dumb selections to put western into the NIT.
Like this! Liked
Im old enough to remember when being "politically correct" was understood to mean "not being a complete, racist, xenophobic a-hole". Good times...

runningracer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by runningracer » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:51 am

Really comes down to what is available. Western was runner up in their conference. They won 20 games. They beat West Virginia, Arkansas, and Wisconsin. Most of the majors who have winning records will be in the NCAA. That leaves the NIT needing a lot of mid majors to get 32 teams.
Like this! Liked

msuowns
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by msuowns » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:08 am

runningracer wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:51 am
Really comes down to what is available. Western was runner up in their conference. They won 20 games. They beat West Virginia, Arkansas, and Wisconsin. Most of the majors who have winning records will be in the NCAA. That leaves the NIT needing a lot of mid majors to get 32 teams.
Wisconsin the really good win at home. But when they look at all of poppers bad losses, they aren't worthy of nit
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:13 am

I agree with RR in that they have the right wins to get in, especially with Stanz all but begging to get in yesterday.
Like this! Liked

JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by JoeD » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:10 pm

I always look at the number of conference champs who didn’t win their league, add that to the teams “on the bubble” who are first four out, next four out, and so on. The. I look at mentions. Wtheu haven’t been mentioned for the NCAA nor the NIT. Plus there are only 32 teams in the NIT. That’s a thin, thin, THIN ledge. I just don’t see them make it.
Like this! Liked
Im old enough to remember when being "politically correct" was understood to mean "not being a complete, racist, xenophobic a-hole". Good times...

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:29 pm

Like this! Liked

Explore Kentucky Lake