If you are trying to register an account please use a valid email address. You may need to check your Junk/Spam/Social folder for the activation email.

OVC officiating

This forum is for the discussion of the men's basketball team.
JessieWilliams
TRN Signee
TRN Signee

OVC officiating

Post by JessieWilliams » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:03 pm

They need to find a way to improve. All we get are the guys that have not advanced or guys that are just getting in. The conference is the lowest paying conference in division one. You get what what you pay for?
Like this! Liked
Some people claim there is a woman to blame

Jimmy Buffett Racer Arena 1979

Kentucky Lake
TRN Benchwarmer
TRN Benchwarmer

Re: OVC officiating

Post by Kentucky Lake » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:12 pm

JessieWilliams wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:03 pm
They need to find a way to improve. All we get are the guys that have not advanced or guys that are just getting in. The conference is the lowest paying conference in division one. You get what what you pay for?
Proof the OVC pays less than anyone else?
Like this! Liked
"This is Murray State. Regardless of who we have I don’t see how you could pick us eighth. It’s disrespectful to us. We should never be picked worse than third. I don’t care who we have." - Shawn Witherspoon, 9-19-06

msuowns
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by msuowns » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:39 pm

JessieWilliams wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:03 pm
yes give us the link that shows the swac pays more.
Like this! Liked
"Home, home again I like to be here when I can. When I come home cold and tired, it's good to warm my bones by the fire".

racer60
TRN Recruit
TRN Recruit

Post by racer60 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:53 pm

I have attended Racer games for many years and believe the officiating this year was the best I have ever witnessed. It seems they let them play for the most part and called few picky fouls. When you think about it there were fewer complaints on this board than in past years. Give the zebras some credit when they deserve it.
Like this! Liked

wkeown
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by wkeown » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:01 pm

I do have to admit it was way better than last year.
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:05 pm

Better but the same bad individual actors consistently. Brett Smith, the slightly balding dude who’s face blushes bright red and the little sawed off dude with the red buzz haircut to name just 3.
Like this! Liked

02Racer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by 02Racer » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:07 pm

Seems like we saw less of Hollywood this season.
Like this! Liked

75Fan
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by 75Fan » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:08 pm

racer60 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:53 pm
I have attended Racer games for many years and believe the officiating this year was the best I have ever witnessed. It seems they let them play for the most part and called few picky fouls. When you think about it there were fewer complaints on this board than in past years. Give the zebras some credit when they deserve it.
The inconsistency the last 2-3 years, makes them the worst I have ever witnessed.

I dont judge them by how many fouls they call, but rather will they call it when it happens or do they anticipate the foul whether or not one is committed.

How many times have we seen a ref blow the whistle and then look to the other refs for what the call should be?

How many times has Ja been pushed while driving to the basket and no foul was called, then the opponent goes over the back on the rebound for another no call and then a hand check get called on us right behind it?

The refs were Inconsistent in their calls on both ends all year, and to me, that makes them bad refs.
Like this! Liked

6 ETHICS OF LIFE

1. BEFORE YOU PRAY..........BELIEVE.
2. BEFORE YOU SPEAK.......LISTEN.
3. BEFORE YOU SPEND......EARN.
4. BEFORE YOU WRITE.......THINK.
5. BEFORE YOU QUIT...........TRY.
6. BEFORE YOU DIE.............LIVE.

JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by JoeD » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:19 pm

Im with 75 on that sentiment.

OVCBall on twitter like to get on his high horse about officiating saying "you have to adjust to they way they call the game". And he is right, but if they're inconsistent from minute to minute, let alone half to half, how can a player or coach adjust to that?
Like this! Liked
Im old enough to remember when being "politically correct" was understood to mean "not being a complete, racist, xenophobic a-hole". Good times...

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:24 pm

“OVCBall on twitter” who? :wink:
Like this! Liked

JessieWilliams
TRN Signee
TRN Signee

Post by JessieWilliams » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:18 pm

Most of these older guys never get moved up for a reason?
Like this! Liked

NKYRacer
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by NKYRacer » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:37 pm

smidge34 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:05 pm
Better but the same bad individual actors consistently. Brett Smith, the slightly balding dude who’s face blushes bright red and the little sawed off dude with the red buzz haircut to name just 3.
Rick Shoulders, Craig Murley.
Also frequent fliers over the last several seasons:
John St Clair
Barry Mathis
Ford Branch
Jon Campbell
Greg Renegarbe

All second class officials at best.
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:40 pm

I honestly didn’t think Shoulders was his usual last 20 years bad.
Like this! Liked

wallaceracer
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by wallaceracer » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:26 pm

Anybody know who the ref was we had for EIU or SIUe at home (maybe give or take a week) that seemed like he was having a good time? He handled that game the way I would hope every ref would. It wasn't about him. He was there just to officiate the game and he seemed like he was just thrilled to have a front row seat to a night of great college basketball. Does this ring a bell with anybody?

Edited: I did a little digging and figured out the ref was Steve Honacki at the UT Martin game at The Bank. I thought overall that was one of the best officiated games we had all year.
Like this! Liked

atlantaracer
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by atlantaracer » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:36 am

I thought the OVC officiating was better this year. Still inconsistent at times, but not 30 free throws for each team and as many meaningless fouls. Of course, as bad as the track record has been, “better” was not a high bar. But I actually thought it was tolerable for a change.

I thought in the championship game, Belmont got some calls in the first half. Cowart’s 2 fouls were not good calls, but he shouldn’t have reached on the second one.
But in looking at the replay, some of ja’s contested early shots probably weren’t fouls. (I sure thought he was fouled live). I also thought the Racers got more calls in the second half than Belmont, particularly looking at replay.
Like this! Liked

JessieWilliams
TRN Signee
TRN Signee

Post by JessieWilliams » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:18 pm

Marley and Barry Matheus are really bad
Like this! Liked

spaldy
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by spaldy » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:37 pm

The OVC will take any collegiate official that will travel the conference. The good ones moves move up and out and the bad ones are like a bad check. JW's comment/qustion on why the old one's never move up is spot on.

the big problem is tourney time. we are used to poor officials that want to be the center of attention and then all of a sudden we are in the big time where they try to be as invisible as possible and let the players decide. It's a lot to ask of a player to adjust in the first 5-10 minutes of a game. If you don't you fall so far behind you can't make it up.

At season's end each coach should get one vote. anyone with over 3 votes should never officiate again in the OVC. Over time the flotsam would be cleaned out.
Like this! Liked
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize." Voltaire

Explore Kentucky Lake