The Racer 2019-2020 team

This forum is for the discussion of the men's basketball team.
speck
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Re: The Racer 2019-2020 team

Post by speck » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:08 pm

wkeown wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:16 pm
smidge34 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:15 am
Not meaning to pick on you but every time our coach is successful or we have a lottery pick somebody posts a suggestion they should stay. No, no they shouldn’t stay and they won’t. If I’m making $400K per year and I’m offered 6X-8X more money or I’m a poor college student and I can leave early for a lucrative multi-million $ salary it doesn’t take a genius to figure the rest out.
I don't feel the same way about student athletes as I do coaches. An ACL tear can end it all for an athlete. Plus with the money they can make in the pros, they can get their college degree later. Ja,...he's ready. Would love to see him stay, but he shouldn't at this point.

Coaches...now, that is a different story. Prohm (Hoiberg succession/great program), Kennedy (alma mater), Cronin (alma mater), Gottfried (Big Time ACC)....I understand them leaving. Edgar (alma mater, but...dumb mistake going laterally)....Newton (Big Time SEC and getting on in years)...ok, I get those.

McMahon, I just don't see it today. That guy is just starting to become a good coach. This is Murray State. Those offers will always be there as long as we are Murray State. The offers that will probably come his way in the next few weeks, I think would be a "rise a sinking ship" situation.

No disrespect to McMahon at all...I don't think they guy is such a mastermind of college coaching (yet) that he has outgrown Murray State. I think he still needs a year or two more of sustained success to prove that he has outgrown the OVC. I don't feel that he has yet. Love the guy. Love his energy, passion, etc. But I think his position as a coach is just right at Murray State, for now. Ja Morant is a phenomenon. This wasn't supposed to happen this year. I'm totally convicted in the fact that we would not have won the OVC if Ja was somewhere else.

Win the OVC next year with building blocks from this year, then I am 100 percent with Smidge on this one. Today, I'm not.
But what IF you turns down a big bucks move and then for one reason or another we have a few bad or below average seasons, then you might not have the offers that you have when your on top of your game.
Like this! Liked

murraygrad05
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by murraygrad05 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:35 pm

Replying to wk...

A coach that has just won 2 regular season championships and 2 tournament championships back to back is not ready for the next step? You can make the argument that his first couple of years where blah (the dreaded losing season seems 10 years ago now) but he has turned the ship around and we are back on track.

CMM has been on every news outlet at least twice this week. Yes Ja was not his recruit, but he's proven himself to be a top notch recruiter and class act coach. Any P5 school would be a fool to look past him. Not to be nitpicky but Gottfried want to a lowly Alabama team in the SEC, not an ACC team. McMahon's stock cannot be any higher than it is right now. I have not agreed with his style, but he has almost 60 wins in 2 seasons back to back. That's all an AD is going to see when they target him. If we win a game in the tourney, like we are capable of doing, he's as good as gone. That's just life in the mid major realm.

You can argue that Newton had Popeye, Scott Edgar had Marcus Brown, Gottfried had Vincent Rainey and Aubrey Reese, BK had Canaan, and Prohm had Canaan and Cam Payne that got them to the next level. If they had social media back in the 70's or 80's I have no doubt we would have had more coverage and attention than we did.
Like this! Liked

JessieWilliams
TRN Signee
TRN Signee

Post by JessieWilliams » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:24 pm

If a school offers him 1.5to 2 million for 5 years what should he do? What would you do? He did not go to school in this area and really has no ties.
Like this! Liked
Some people claim there is a woman to blame

Jimmy Buffett Racer Arena 1979

msuowns
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by msuowns » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:55 pm

http://www.westkentuckystar.com/Sports/College/Murray-Goes-Big-in-Best-Basketball-Towns-Study.aspx Murray, one of the best basketball towns
Like this! Liked
"Home, home again I like to be here when I can. When I come home cold and tired, it's good to warm my bones by the fire".

MarshallRacer
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by MarshallRacer » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:49 pm

wkeown wrote:
Coaches...now, that is a different story. Prohm (Hoiberg succession/great program), Kennedy (alma mater), Cronin (alma mater), Gottfried (Big Time ACC)....I understand them leaving. Edgar (alma mater, but...dumb mistake going laterally)....Newton (Big Time SEC and getting on in years)...ok, I get those.
Great post, one correction though: Gottfried was to Alabama first, his alma mater. Then to the ACC.
Like this! Liked
Enjoy every day because things change fast - Billy Kennedy October 2011

speck
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by speck » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:59 am

Just read an article on Reason.com about coaches pay and MM is the 41st highest paid coach in the NCAA, if that's the case doubt he will be leaving anytime soon.
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:08 am

speck wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:59 am
Just read an article on Reason.com about coaches pay and MM is the 41st highest paid coach in the NCAA, if that's the case doubt he will be leaving anytime soon.
If you think $400K is enough to keep him here then why did Steve Prohm take a job making 5X that? Nevermind I’ll say it, $2 million > $400K. Rocket science it ain’t.

PS the article you read ranked the salaries of the 47 public schools in this year’s tournament. He was 41 of the 47.

http://reason.com/blog/2019/03/18/public-universities-are-paying-ncaa-tour
Like this! Liked

speck
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by speck » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:54 am

Thanks for correcting that. Guess I was still asleep when I read it.
Like this! Liked

wkeown
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by wkeown » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:28 pm

MarshallRacer wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:49 pm
wkeown wrote:
Great post, one correction though: Gottfried was to Alabama first, his alma mater. Then to the ACC.
You are correct.., and I stand corrected.
Like this! Liked

Explore Kentucky Lake