If you are trying to register an account please use a valid email address. You may need to check your Junk/Spam/Social folder for the activation email.

OVC for 2019-20

This forum is for the discussion of the men's basketball team.
runningracer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

OVC for 2019-20

Post by runningracer » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:30 pm

Looks like SIUE is trying to improve. The new hire has been there for two years. His dad, Tony Barone was the former coach at A&M, He has coached at Illinois State under the current Chcago Loyola coach, at Green Bay, and has worked under Tom Crean at Indiana, as well as at Marquette. He also has experiance in being a juco head coach. Not sure that he will have success, but they couldn't do much worse than the last four years.
Martin should also show improvement, as they have some key transfers, including the coach's son, after being a starter at Pitt before his transfer. I expect them to be a challenger for the top level, given how he performed in high school, and briefly at Pitt.
Murray, Belmont and Austin Peay should once again be strong, with Murray's biggest question being whether or not they will have an above average point guard. I believe they will. Jacksonville will be a question mark after graduating six seniors. A lot will depend on if Harper gets another job. If not, he will be active in the transfer, and JUCO marketplace. While we won't know whar his team will be like until the season starts, he will, as usual, have a team that plays hard, and is physical.
Like this! Liked

evvracerfan
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Re: OVC for 2019-20

Post by evvracerfan » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:24 pm

runningracer wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:30 pm
Looks like SIUE is trying to improve. The new hire has been there for two years. His dad, Tony Barone was the former coach at A&M, He has coached at Illinois State under the current Chcago Loyola coach, at Green Bay, and has worked under Tom Crean at Indiana, as well as at Marquette. He also has experiance in being a juco head coach. Not sure that he will have success, but they couldn't do much worse than the last four years.
Martin should also show improvement, as they have some key transfers, including the coach's son, after being a starter at Pitt before his transfer. I expect them to be a challenger for the top level, given how he performed in high school, and briefly at Pitt.
Murray, Belmont and Austin Peay should once again be strong, with Murray's biggest question being whether or not they will have an above average point guard. I believe they will. Jacksonville will be a question mark after graduating six seniors. A lot will depend on if Harper gets another job. If not, he will be active in the transfer, and JUCO marketplace. While we won't know what his team will be like until the season starts, he will, as usual, have a team that plays hard, and is physical.
Did SIUE promote the assistant coach? If so I'll have to disagree on the trying to improve statement. That's trying to get by on the cheap, which is what they've always done. Promoting an assistant to replace a failed head coach? That doesn't usually make sense. As far as him being an assistant to Tom Crean, as an Indiana resident I can tell you he has first hand knowledge on how to have teams that don't play defense and turn the ball over at a high rate. I hope SIUE can finally start getting some traction, but I'll believe it when I see it.

My friends and I were talking during the OVC tourney - how do you get good players to commit to programs as bad as SIUE, UTM or EIU? Lousy facilities, no history of success, and knowing you'll play in front of less than 1,000 fans at most of your home games. At least the UTM coach got his son to play for him - that may be a start.
Like this! Liked

HoptownRacer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by HoptownRacer » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:34 pm

I think they have a pretty decent recruiting class signed and they're probably trying to keep them together.
Like this! Liked

RACERlineman
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by RACERlineman » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:32 pm

Murray will have 4 well above average guards next year so I wouldn't worry to much.
Like this! Liked
Twitter @Danielgoracers

racerlover
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by racerlover » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:35 pm

Ironically, SIUE has more students then their big brother in Garbagedale. They are located in a great area and should have no excuse in being able to recruit decent players. Their arena, however, is another story.
Like this! Liked

A_1985_grad
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by A_1985_grad » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:55 pm

evvracerfan wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:24 pm
My friends and I were talking during the OVC tourney - how do you get good players to commit to programs as bad as SIUE, UTM or EIU?
Same goes for coaches. No up-and-coming young coach in his right mind would take one of those jobs (though UTM got lucky a few seasons ago). Not if he has any aspirations of moving up to the big time. The right person for those jobs, if those and similar schools decide to get serious about winning, is an older coach who is on the way down and wants one more stop. Then once they get respectable, the up-and-comers can follow. I've used Ray Harper as an example before. Billy Kennedy about 10 years from now might be another possibility.
Like this! Liked

Explore Kentucky Lake