St. Mary's Dagger in Belmont's Heart

This forum is for the discussion of the men's basketball team.
User avatar
Kentucky Lake
TRN Benchwarmer
TRN Benchwarmer
Posts: 80
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2003 8:17 pm
Location: 36.645N 88.063W
x 131

St. Mary's Dagger in Belmont's Heart

Post by Kentucky Lake » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:57 am

St. Mary's stole a bid last night and beat #1 Gonzaga for the automatic bid. That might do it for Belmont.
Like this! Liked
"This is Murray State. Regardless of who we have I don’t see how you could pick us eighth. It’s disrespectful to us. We should never be picked worse than third. I don’t care who we have." - Shawn Witherspoon, 9-19-06

User avatar
msuowns
TRN Legend
TRN Legend
Posts: 5547
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:57 pm
Location: Paducah
x 512

Re: St. Mary's Dagger in Belmont's Heart

Post by msuowns » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:08 am

Kentucky Lake wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:57 am
St. Mary's stole a bid last night and beat #1 Gonzaga for the automatic bid. That might do it for Belmont.
wow what an upset. still a lot of tournament games to be played, but Belmont will be headed to the nit.
Like this! Liked
"Home, home again I like to be here when I can. When I come home cold and tired, it's good to warm my bones by the fire".

wallaceracer
TRN MVP
TRN MVP
Posts: 516
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:04 pm
x 335

Re: St. Mary's Dagger in Belmont's Heart

Post by wallaceracer » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:09 am

I hope Belmont gets in, but I have a hard time feeling sorry for a program that is too proud to fight for an at-large.
Like this! Liked

User avatar
fmftballmgr
TRN POY
TRN POY
Posts: 1587
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:33 pm
Location: Hermitage Tn
x 225

Re: St. Mary's Dagger in Belmont's Heart

Post by fmftballmgr » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:29 am

I did not watch the game, did the zags help them steal a bid, knowing that they were in
Like this! Liked

User avatar
Kentucky Lake
TRN Benchwarmer
TRN Benchwarmer
Posts: 80
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2003 8:17 pm
Location: 36.645N 88.063W
x 131

Re: St. Mary's Dagger in Belmont's Heart

Post by Kentucky Lake » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:53 am

Ha, no I doubt that. The Zags had a #1 locked up. Now, who knows.
Like this! Liked
"This is Murray State. Regardless of who we have I don’t see how you could pick us eighth. It’s disrespectful to us. We should never be picked worse than third. I don’t care who we have." - Shawn Witherspoon, 9-19-06

User avatar
fmftballmgr
TRN POY
TRN POY
Posts: 1587
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:33 pm
Location: Hermitage Tn
x 225

Re: St. Mary's Dagger in Belmont's Heart

Post by fmftballmgr » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:55 am

but we have seen many time a #1 seed lose in their conference tourney and still get the seed. I think they were high enough that it may not matter
Like this! Liked

wallaceracer
TRN MVP
TRN MVP
Posts: 516
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:04 pm
x 335

Re: St. Mary's Dagger in Belmont's Heart

Post by wallaceracer » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:13 am

fmftballmgr wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:29 am
I did not watch the game, did the zags help them steal a bid, knowing that they were in
St Mary's executed a good game plan, while Gonzaga couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. To say Gonzaga had a cold shooting night would be an understatement. It was just a perfect storm.
Like this! Liked

User avatar
msuowns
TRN Legend
TRN Legend
Posts: 5547
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:57 pm
Location: Paducah
x 512

Re: St. Mary's Dagger in Belmont's Heart

Post by msuowns » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:18 am

wallaceracer wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:13 am
fmftballmgr wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:29 am
I did not watch the game, did the zags help them steal a bid, knowing that they were in
St Mary's executed a good game plan, while Gonzaga couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. To say Gonzaga had a cold shooting night would be an understatement. It was just a perfect storm.
Just heard on radio that zags won first meeting by 48
Like this! Liked
"Home, home again I like to be here when I can. When I come home cold and tired, it's good to warm my bones by the fire".

User avatar
racerlover
TRN All-American
TRN All-American
Posts: 2288
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:25 am
Location: Murray, KY.
x 466

Re: St. Mary's Dagger in Belmont's Heart

Post by racerlover » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:59 pm

Gonzaga lost it intentionally. You know, for the greater good of the conference. I've seen the Zags play several times this year and it looks like the fix was in.
Like this! Liked

User avatar
A_1985_grad
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup
Posts: 338
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:11 am
x 245

Re: St. Mary's Dagger in Belmont's Heart

Post by A_1985_grad » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:30 pm

FWIW, USA Today (Shelby Mast) still has Belmont as one of the "Last four in," playing Creighton in a play-in (first round) game. They also have Murray State facing Virginia Tech in Hartford in a 12-5 matchup.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2019/03/13/ncaa-tournament-bracketology-march-madness-bubble-selection-sunday/3148812002/
Like this! Liked

User avatar
msuowns
TRN Legend
TRN Legend
Posts: 5547
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:57 pm
Location: Paducah
x 512

Re: St. Mary's Dagger in Belmont's Heart

Post by msuowns » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:55 pm

racerlover wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:59 pm
Gonzaga lost it intentionally. You know, for the greater good of the conference. I've seen the Zags play several times this year and it looks like the fix was in.
Another shoeless joe Jackson. Who knows if they threw the game. Much more 💲💲💲💲💲 for the conference
Like this! Liked
"Home, home again I like to be here when I can. When I come home cold and tired, it's good to warm my bones by the fire".

User avatar
racerlover
TRN All-American
TRN All-American
Posts: 2288
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:25 am
Location: Murray, KY.
x 466

Re: St. Mary's Dagger in Belmont's Heart

Post by racerlover » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:07 pm

msuowns wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:55 pm
racerlover wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:59 pm
Gonzaga lost it intentionally. You know, for the greater good of the conference. I've seen the Zags play several times this year and it looks like the fix was in.
Another shoeless joe Jackson. Who knows if they threw the game. Much more 💲💲💲💲💲 for the conference
Saint Mary's may have been in anyway, but I've had my suspicions for years on certain conference tournaments. I do think Belmont is toast. I do expect them to at least be in the final four of the NIT.
Like this! Liked

User avatar
msuowns
TRN Legend
TRN Legend
Posts: 5547
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:57 pm
Location: Paducah
x 512

Re: St. Mary's Dagger in Belmont's Heart

Post by msuowns » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:12 pm

racerlover wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:07 pm
msuowns wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:55 pm
racerlover wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:59 pm
Gonzaga lost it intentionally. You know, for the greater good of the conference. I've seen the Zags play several times this year and it looks like the fix was in.
Another shoeless joe Jackson. Who knows if they threw the game. Much more 💲💲💲💲💲 for the conference
Saint Mary's may have been in anyway, but I've had my suspicions for years on certain conference tournaments. I do think Belmont is toast. I do expect them to at least be in the final four of the NIT.
Belmont will have to have their big center healthy. St Mary had a down year. Wku even beat them in bg.
Like this! Liked
"Home, home again I like to be here when I can. When I come home cold and tired, it's good to warm my bones by the fire".

User avatar
racerlover
TRN All-American
TRN All-American
Posts: 2288
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:25 am
Location: Murray, KY.
x 466

Re: St. Mary's Dagger in Belmont's Heart

Post by racerlover » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:17 pm

msuowns wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:12 pm
racerlover wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:07 pm
msuowns wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:55 pm


Another shoeless joe Jackson. Who knows if they threw the game. Much more 💲💲💲💲💲 for the conference
Saint Mary's may have been in anyway, but I've had my suspicions for years on certain conference tournaments. I do think Belmont is toast. I do expect them to at least be in the final four of the NIT.
Belmont will have to have their big center healthy. St Mary had a down year. Wku even beat them in bg.
Yeah. They're bragging about it on their board. Now they seem to think they can beat the world. :roll:
Like this! Liked

User avatar
75Fan
TRN Legend
TRN Legend
Posts: 7786
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:39 am
x 1706

Re: St. Mary's Dagger in Belmont's Heart

Post by 75Fan » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:03 pm

I'm still working on it, but it looks like Belmont might get an at-large bid.
Like this! Liked


6 ETHICS OF LIFE

1. BEFORE YOU PRAY..........BELIEVE.
2. BEFORE YOU SPEAK.......LISTEN.
3. BEFORE YOU SPEND......EARN.
4. BEFORE YOU WRITE.......THINK.
5. BEFORE YOU QUIT...........TRY.
6. BEFORE YOU DIE.............LIVE.


User avatar
racerlover
TRN All-American
TRN All-American
Posts: 2288
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:25 am
Location: Murray, KY.
x 466

Re: St. Mary's Dagger in Belmont's Heart

Post by racerlover » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:11 pm

75Fan wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:03 pm
I'm still working on it, but it looks like Belmont might get an at-large bid.
I don't doubt you, but I'm curious on the rationale. I'm not seeing it. I hope I'm wrong because they definitely deserve to be in.
Like this! Liked

User avatar
75Fan
TRN Legend
TRN Legend
Posts: 7786
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:39 am
x 1706

Re: St. Mary's Dagger in Belmont's Heart

Post by 75Fan » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:32 pm

Ime looking at multiple factors and combinations, so far, mist.of them have them in, a few don't but if im fairly certain they have a chance, I will share the news!
Like this! Liked


6 ETHICS OF LIFE

1. BEFORE YOU PRAY..........BELIEVE.
2. BEFORE YOU SPEAK.......LISTEN.
3. BEFORE YOU SPEND......EARN.
4. BEFORE YOU WRITE.......THINK.
5. BEFORE YOU QUIT...........TRY.
6. BEFORE YOU DIE.............LIVE.


BarryP
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man
Posts: 235
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:05 pm
x 49

Re: St. Mary's Dagger in Belmont's Heart

Post by BarryP » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:32 am

75, I've got 3 different methods I use and they are a 4 ,5,and 7 spots in. I have done this for years and over the last 5 or 6 years non big budget teams usually drop 5 to 10 spots and that's how I make my final predictions which I won't do till Saturday. Btw I got them all right one year and have never missed more than 2 teams. This year I am going to use the NET the same way I have used the RPI in the past. Belmont is ON THE BUBBLE for sure which is sad because they should be in by the numbers and by the eyeball test.
Like this! Liked

90racer
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup
Posts: 268
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:02 pm
x 18

Re: St. Mary's Dagger in Belmont's Heart

Post by 90racer » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:46 am

I don’t understand why everyone is wanting Belmont to get a bid...screw them. Their fan base gives us zero respect and has hated on Ja all year. Plus, why do I want Belmont to be granted a slot we have been screwed out of in past years?

I hope they enjoy an early exit from the NIT. I root only for my Racers as far as OVC teams go.
Like this! Liked

User avatar
02Racer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American
Posts: 2973
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:47 pm
Location: Murray
x 1400

Re: St. Mary's Dagger in Belmont's Heart

Post by 02Racer » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:57 am

90racer wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:46 am
I don’t understand why everyone is wanting Belmont to get a bid...screw them. Their fan base gives us zero respect and has hated on Ja all year. Plus, why do I want Belmont to be granted a slot we have been screwed out of in past years?

I hope they enjoy an early exit from the NIT. I root only for my Racers as far as OVC teams go.
I'm pretty sure it's more about setting a precedent as the OVC as a possible two bid league in future seasons than it is about supporting Lmont.

They certainly have the most obnoxious student section in the OVC. Clowns chanting "overrated" and "ball hog" at the best guard in the country who happens to be running away with the assist title. :crazy:

When Cam was a freshman and we played them at their place, his mom was there for the game and he gave her a hug during warm ups. They spent the rest of the game chanting "mama's boy" at him.
Like this! Liked
109

Post Reply
Explore Kentucky Lake