If you are trying to register an account please use a valid email address. You may need to check your Junk/Spam/Social folder for the activation email.

Venue

This forum is for the discussion of the men's basketball team.
90racer
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Venue

Post by 90racer » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:33 am

First...an unbelievable atmosphere from Racer Nation. It’s just amazing The Bank doesn’t carry the same excitement for regular season big games. Our traveling Nation shows it is going to be a true 6th man in post season play.

Second...if the OVC ever takes the tourney back to the sh**hole in Nashville , they should be admitted quickly. From parking (not dealing with moron degenerates directing plus easy-in/easy-out traffic), restrooms that actually have consistent functioning water supplies, concessions ran smoothly and quickly, and great seating for all. Just a top-notch venue that should welcome our fan base for years to come.

Now...ready to travel!!!
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Re: Venue

Post by smidge34 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:38 am

I’ll never step foot in that dump in Nashville again.
Like this! Liked

MarshallRacer
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by MarshallRacer » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:27 pm

I agree smidge. As much as I'd hate to not support our Racers the only thing the OVC will understand is $$$$. Let 'em have the tourney with 1000 butts Muni scummy seats vs 10,000. Hope it never comes to that.
Like this! Liked
Enjoy every day because things change fast - Billy Kennedy October 2011

racerlover
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by racerlover » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:35 pm

That land is valuable in downtown Nashville and frankly, I don't see why they keep the damn place standing. Not really needed. Although they do have a Judas Priest concert coming up.
Like this! Liked

90racer
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by 90racer » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:27 pm

Did they lose their Roller Derby team?

That used to crack me up seeing that advertised during the tourney.
Like this! Liked

msuowns
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by msuowns » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:02 pm

racerlover wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:35 pm
That land is valuable in downtown Nashville and frankly, I don't see why they keep the damn place standing. Not really needed. Although they do have a Judas Priest concert coming up.
They are keeping it warm for the grand return of the ovc
Like this! Liked
"Home, home again I like to be here when I can. When I come home cold and tired, it's good to warm my bones by the fire".

Trace10
TRN Signee
TRN Signee

Post by Trace10 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:48 pm

I don't know where to begin. I can't say enough about the City of Evansville, the residents, the Law Enforcement, the Businesses and etc.
My father-in-law asked if he could go with us to the tournament. Since he is such a huge Racer fan and we don't know how many more trips he has left in him we were more than happy to let him go with us. He uses a walker when he has to walk much, and I was worried about how I was going to get in and out to and from the game since my wife refused to let me use his handi sticker. Well... nothing to it. I pulled up alongside the Ford Center dropped them of and drove a block to park. After the game I went to the car only to find the officers diverting traffic away from the Ford Center. As I approached the officer, I rolled down my window and told him what I needed to do. He told me that I had to follow the flow of traffic, but directed me on how to easily double back. A few quick turns and I was right I front of the entrance of the Ford Center to pick them up and go.
As far as things to do around the Ford Center, it's a bit limited, but since it's so easy to get in out there is plenty to do and lots more restaurants a short 5 minute drive away. We hung out at the mall which was an ideal place to wait out the rain for a family with young children and we saw many Racer fans doing that very thing.
Thanks goes out to the City of Evansville for their hospitality and I look forward to enjoying it again next year.
Like this! Liked

bjhracer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by bjhracer » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:11 pm

I wonder how many times the Aces have put 10,500 in that arena?
Like this! Liked
"I hate losing, I hate losing more than I love winning." B.J. Jenkins

evvracerfan
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by evvracerfan » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:21 pm

It's pretty plain to see that this tournament means a lot more to Evansville than it does to Nashville economically. That being said, if there was a proper venue in Nashville I realize we'd be back there in a heartbeat. The fact remains that they just don't have a decent facility that is in our size range. Bridgestone is just too big (and I'm sure too $$$$), and the Muni isn't a decent facility.

My parents are in their late 70's and went to the tourney Friday and Saturday night - they had as much fun as they've had in years. They were speaking with several Belmont fans in line at the concession stand Saturday and even the Belmont fans were saying how much they liked the Ford Center and the atmosphere at the games. Of course, this conversation probably took place at halftime when Belmont was up 5 pts. :lol:

There was a buzz in Evansville about MSU and the OVC tourney. Nashville has a collective yawn over the OVC - they really don't need it or care. My cousin's sons played basketball at halftime of the Belmont/Peay game Friday night and told their parents that was the greatest night of their lives so far - lol. I'm betting there were at least 2,000 fans from Evansville/Henderson/Owensboro that didn't have ties to Murray State that just showed up to watch some good basketball and a future NBA lottery pick.

It was great seeing the blue and gold invasion again this year! Hoping we get a decent draw at a venue I'm able to travel to for the NCAA tourney. This journey isn't over yet!
Like this! Liked

evvracerfan
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by evvracerfan » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:23 pm

bjhracer wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:11 pm
As far as I know only once - when IU played UE maybe the first or second year the Ford Center was open. UE had signed a 2 for 1 contract with IU.
Like this! Liked

msuowns
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by msuowns » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:37 pm

bjhracer wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:11 pm
The whole town is asking that question. McCarty might get them going tho
Like this! Liked
"Home, home again I like to be here when I can. When I come home cold and tired, it's good to warm my bones by the fire".

msuowns
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by msuowns » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:41 pm

evvracerfan wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:21 pm
It's pretty plain to see that this tournament means a lot more to Evansville than it does to Nashville economically. That being said, if there was a proper venue in Nashville I realize we'd be back there in a heartbeat. The fact remains that they just don't have a decent facility that is in our size range. Bridgestone is just too big (and I'm sure too $$$$), and the Muni isn't a decent facility.

My parents are in their late 70's and went to the tourney Friday and Saturday night - they had as much fun as they've had in years. They were speaking with several Belmont fans in line at the concession stand Saturday and even the Belmont fans were saying how much they liked the Ford Center and the atmosphere at the games. Of course, this conversation probably took place at halftime when Belmont was up 5 pts. :lol:

There was a buzz in Evansville about MSU and the OVC tourney. Nashville has a collective yawn over the OVC - they really don't need it or care. My cousin's sons played basketball at halftime of the Belmont/Peay game Friday night and told their parents that was the greatest night of their lives so far - lol. I'm betting there were at least 2,000 fans from Evansville/Henderson/Owensboro that didn't have ties to Murray State that just showed up to watch some good basketball and a future NBA lottery pick.

It was great seeing the blue and gold invasion again this year! Hoping we get a decent draw at a venue I'm able to travel to for the NCAA tourney. This journey isn't over yet!
If the travel distance is reasonable for our game. Let’s try and get as many guys on here to go. I’m in. I drove 26 straight hours today, I can do that for pleasure too
Like this! Liked

evvracerfan
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by evvracerfan » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:26 am

Evansville Courier and Press article on Morant's impact on the OVC tourney - also some interesting comments from the commissioner and Belmont's women's coach.

https://www.courierpress.com/story/spor ... 123958002/
Like this! Liked

msu
TRN Recruit
TRN Recruit

Post by msu » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:11 pm

evvracerfan wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:26 am
Evansville Courier and Press article on Morant's impact on the OVC tourney - also some interesting comments from the commissioner and Belmont's women's coach.

Allow me to un-stump her on how to improve the tournament: Use some of the money we just earned you in ticket sales and BUY A COURT SO WE DON'T HAVE GUYS SLIPPING ALL OVER DECALS. It was ridiculous. Watched the rerun and realized that even when Tevin slipped near center court it was because his foot brushed the edge of the center-court logo. They are lucky no one got injured, and were reckless to actively do nothing to fix the situation that was made clear from Wednesday night.
Like this! Liked

JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by JoeD » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:15 pm

Hell, you dont even have to buy a whole court, just the sections where you want things under the floor finish. These floor come in pieces already, just sub out the sections that say MVC with a piece that says OVC, and throw to stupid stickers away.
Like this! Liked
Im old enough to remember when being "politically correct" was understood to mean "not being a complete, racist, xenophobic a-hole". Good times...

racerlover
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by racerlover » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:23 pm

The decals looked like someone went to the local movie theater and borrowed two rugs and painted OVC on them.
Like this! Liked

msuowns
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by msuowns » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:00 pm

msu wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:11 pm
evvracerfan wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:26 am

Allow me to un-stump her on how to improve the tournament: Use some of the money we just earned you in ticket sales and BUY A COURT SO WE DON'T HAVE GUYS SLIPPING ALL OVER DECALS. It was ridiculous. Watched the rerun and realized that even when Tevin slipped near center court it was because his foot brushed the edge of the center-court logo. They are lucky no one got injured, and were reckless to actively do nothing to fix the situation that was made clear from Wednesday night.
This logo issue has to be addressed by whoever is responsible for them being on the court. Like above said, it was clearly a hazard and not addressed. Don’t let bums who do stupid stuff slide by. What if Ja had been injured by his slips on them? No dance for us, the best team for the Ovc out of dance. It would have killed his draft pick. Concern for all other players tooo. Don’t let this person or small group off the hook. Raise hell
Like this! Liked

atlantaracer
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by atlantaracer » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:21 pm

I don’t think Belmont’s big injury was because of the decals, but did anyone see it. Those decals were certainly an issue.
Like this! Liked

msuowns
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by msuowns » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:04 pm

atlantaracer wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:21 pm
I don’t think Belmont’s big injury was because of the decals, but did anyone see it. Those decals were certainly an issue.
He was on low block when he went down, so I don’t think so
Like this! Liked

ERacerHead
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by ERacerHead » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:29 pm

We loved Evansville this year and last year and much prefer the Ford Center to Municipal in Nashville. Last year was great, this year could have been, but......I never saw the games. We had what I initially thought were great seats, four rows up behind our bench. But my only view for both the semi-finals and finals was from the foul line to the basket. The view from the foul line to the center court and beyond was obscured the entire game by people standing. Standing the entire game, not just during the exciting parts. This board has had continual discussions about standing (true fans stands, etc..) but even when I was standing I couldn't see squat. I'm 5' 10", but there was one person standing the entire game in row 2, and the giants behind him were then forced to stand, and since they were in front of me to the right, where most of the action was, I missed most of the actual basketball game. I tried watching the overhead video, but from row four it really strains the neck and I couldn't watch it very long.
Not sure what to do about this issue. I love to support Racer basketball, but I also want to actually see the games I attend, and not watch them later on recordings like I eventually did. Many people beside me moved (including a former AD and local physician), the elderly people behind me openly wondered why they even came since they would rather watch the game on TV than the overhead, and the couple next to me with kids in their arms just sat there and looked at peoples butts, stating they wouldn't come back.
This issue was isolated to my section. One of my friends a few rows up told me later that only three people were standing most of the game and they were all in front of me. While it was great that we had a crowd Saturday night, it also limited choices to move. So basically, one person ruined the weekend for me and quite a few others in my section. I mentioned it to him. He could have cared less. He saw the entire game, and that is all that is important.
Last edited by ERacerHead on Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Like this! Liked

Explore Kentucky Lake