Attention: The message board will be migrating to a new server soon and your saved login information will not work. Please make sure that you know your password and have access to the email address associated with the account so you can reset the password if needed.

RACERS vs SIU Edwardsville Game Thread

This forum is for the discussion of the men's basketball team.
75Fan
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Re: RACERS vs SIU Edwardsville Game Thread

Post by 75Fan » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:46 pm

Here's the statistics for this game.....85.81

STAT	 MSU 	 SIUe
FGM	 36 	 18
FGA	 68 	 53
FG %	 52.94 	 33.96

3PM	 5 	 5
3PA	 20 	 20
3P%	 25.00 	 25.00

FTM	 9 	 14
FTA	 16 	 14
FT%	 56.25 	 100

OREB	 14 	 10
DREB	 25 	 23
TREB	 39 	 33

FLS	 12 	 18

AST	 18 	 10
TOS	 11 	 18

BLK	 5 	 4
STL	 11 	 6

PTS	 86 	 55
Like this! Liked

6 ETHICS OF LIFE

1. BEFORE YOU PRAY..........BELIEVE.
2. BEFORE YOU SPEAK.......LISTEN.
3. BEFORE YOU SPEND......EARN.
4. BEFORE YOU WRITE.......THINK.
5. BEFORE YOU QUIT...........TRY.
6. BEFORE YOU DIE.............LIVE.

75Fan
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by 75Fan » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:06 am

Here's the player's Net Game Rating for this game.....

JA MORANT		 9.5734
K. J. WILLIAMS		 9.4833

DEVIN GILMORE		 6.9095

DAVID MCFARLAND		 5.1472

DARNELL COWART		 4.4437

TEVIN BROWN		 2.7583
JAIVEON EAVES		 2.0123

BRION WHITLEY		 1.2232

BRANDON JACKSON		-0.4576
JALEN JOHNSON		-0.6585
BRION SANCHIOUS		-0.7235

TREAVON MARTIN		-1.5836
CAMERON WILLIAMS	-1.6589
MIKE DAVIS		-1.7768

SHAQ BUCHANAN		-2.2450
TYRESSE WILLIFORD	-2.9301

DANIEL KINCHEN		-3.8760
ELOCHUKWU EZE		-3.9674

JAYLEN MCCOY		-6.9287

CHRISTIAN ELLIS		-7.3158
ANSEL UZUEGBUNEM	-7.4290
Like this! Liked

6 ETHICS OF LIFE

racerlover
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by racerlover » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:29 am

Went back and watched the replay of the second half. Still trying to figure out what the first technical foul was all about. I guess they just came unglued. Probably some cussing I'd assume? Anyway, if we play like the for 40 minutes, greatness could happen. Awesome half.
Like this! Liked

Kyracer
TRN Signee
TRN Signee

Post by Kyracer » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:33 am

bjhracer wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:02 pm
smidge34 wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:00 pm
Looks like the three man rotation of Cowart, KJ and Gilmore is the ticket.

Brion and Gilmore played roughly the same minutes tonight and I thought Brion would compete to win the starting job back and that early block looked like it. But then his body language changed. Like he is upset. He needs to take that aggression out on the floor. We have the bigs to play through foul trouble. Davis Brion Gilmore KJ should give it their all every play and not be afraid of fouling. Right now Cowert is the only big we need on the floor for big minutes and is the only big we should try to limit the fouls.
Cowert gives us a tremendous dimension. He has all the tools with the exception of any vertical leap. I got the same impression with Brion tonight. But he gave us exactly what he has given when he plays 30 minutes. Gilmore gives us tremendous athleticis and KJ needs to be aggressive like he was tonight.
Like this! Liked

RacerPreacher
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by RacerPreacher » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:46 am

We are a much better team with Cowart starting. You have to get some offense from that position.
Like this! Liked
“I hate to lose more than I love to win.”

wkeown
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by wkeown » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:10 am

It appears to me that the only time we play good offense is when we play good defense. The defense is the catalyst for everything that make this team go. Not sure if the reason we went to the 3/4 court press at the start of the game was because of that or to just limit their guard from causing havoc.

Perhaps the answer to our recent woes lies not in trying to find an offensive weapon, but who can spark the defense.

I am not even gonna mention the ball handling in the first half. It's a win and I promised to be happy with just one point wins the rest of the way. :silent:
Like this! Liked

racerlover
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by racerlover » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:31 am

wkeown wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:10 am
It appears to me that the only time we play good offense is when we play good defense. The defense is the catalyst for everything that make this team go. Not sure if the reason we went to the 3/4 court press at the start of the game was because of that or to just limit their guard from causing havoc.

Perhaps the answer to our recent woes lies not in trying to find an offensive weapon, but who can spark the defense.

I am not even gonna mention the ball handling in the first half. It's a win and I promised to be happy with just one point wins the rest of the way. :silent:
That second half is the most complete half I've seen us play since the TSU game. The defense was good. SIUE did have a few wide open shots, but they couldn't hit water if they fell out of a boat. I don't recall such a turnaround in one half of a game. Murray playing on fire in the second half and SIUE suffering a complete failure. But you are correct. Defense brings on the offense. I'm still curious about what coach said at halftime. This half of a game was much needed.
Like this! Liked

75Fan
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by 75Fan » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:22 am

Neal asked CMM about "the halftime speech" after the game.

In a nutshell, CMM said he keeps things calm and reserved and simply pointed out the things that needed to be done on the defensive side of the game to facilitate the offensive side.
Like this! Liked

6 ETHICS OF LIFE

racerlover
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by racerlover » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:31 am

75Fan wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:22 am

In a nutshell, CMM said he keeps things calm and reserved and simply pointed out the things that needed to be done on the defensive side of the game to facilitate the offensive side.
So in other words, chairs were flying and screams were heard out in the hall. :lol:
Like this! Liked

speck
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by speck » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:37 am

75Fan wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:22 am

Guess he might oughta try this before the game sometime instead of at halftime. Teams from here on out gone a be harder to come back on.
Like this! Liked

bjhracer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by bjhracer » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:31 pm

We haven’t seen a half of basketball like that since before the Belmont game. Hopefully the team has finally turned the corner after the Morant ankle injury. Got their heads back into it. A win on Thursday will do wonders for the rest of the season mentally for the players.
Like this! Liked
"I hate losing, I hate losing more than I love winning." B.J. Jenkins

75Fan
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by 75Fan » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:07 pm

The Austin Peay road game should be the only game we have a decent chance of losing, so if we take care of business, we still control whether or not we secure an OVC regular season championship.
Like this! Liked

6 ETHICS OF LIFE

murraygrad05
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by murraygrad05 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:01 pm

racerlover wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:29 am
Went back and watched the replay of the second half. Still trying to figure out what the first technical foul was all about. I guess they just came unglued. Probably some cussing I'd assume? Anyway, if we play like the for 40 minutes, greatness could happen. Awesome half.
Ellis had been jawing with the ref all game. Guess he finally said the magic words.

The better question I have is how Cowart's first foul was a foul on him and not a flagrant 1 on SIUE? He got an elbow in the throat and a foul.
Like this! Liked

popeyejonesfan
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by popeyejonesfan » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:28 pm

racerlover wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:31 am
wkeown wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:10 am

That second half is the most complete half I've seen us play since the TSU game. The defense was good. SIUE did have a few wide open shots, but they couldn't hit water if they fell out of a boat. I don't recall such a turnaround in one half of a game. Murray playing on fire in the second half and SIUE suffering a complete failure. But you are correct. Defense brings on the offense. I'm still curious about what coach said at halftime. This half of a game was much needed.
We haven’t played with same intensity or chemistry sine the first half in Carbondale. Maybe the second half last night is a sign we are back on track.
Like this! Liked

speck
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by speck » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:33 pm

75Fan wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:07 pm
The Austin Peay road game should be the only game we have a decent chance of losing, so if we take care of business, we still control whether or not we secure an OVC regular season championship.
Morehead may be tough.
Like this! Liked

runningracer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by runningracer » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:18 pm

Some of you have a lot of confidence. From the way this team has played the last six games, I don't think that there is anyone who can't beat us. That shouldn't be the case, but if we continue to let up, it is. Now if they decide to play defense, and rebound, I could be as confident as everyone else. But they have a lot to prove this week, and we can't overlook EKU. They gave us a battle at home, and they are fighting for their tournament lives. We need to do what we did last year and play the rest of the games like they are tournament elimination games. Peay will come out hot, just like last year, intending to smoke us. Only a great defensive effort in the second half, with good shooting allowed us to pull that game out. They are better from the outside this year, and I don't know if we have anyone that can stop Taylor. Once he gets the ball in the lane, he is pretty hard to stop.
Like this! Liked

75Fan
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by 75Fan » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:50 pm

I'd like to tip my hat to CMM for having a good game plan to keep Williford from entering the POY discussion! :mrgreen:

Seriously, we neutralized him and he was a big part of their success the first time we met them.

I would feel even better if I could see such adjustments after a time-out though.

Still, I was very impressed with the game plan against Williford.

Also, since it was mentioned on the radio, but not here.....SIUe is shooting 68% from the free throw line on the season, but against us, they are 30-30 for 100%! Go figure! :shrug:
Like this! Liked

6 ETHICS OF LIFE

racerlover
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by racerlover » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:18 pm

Everyone is puckered up for the same reason. You don't know which team you're going to get each time they step on the floor. I'm sure it's been drilled into them that their only way of making the promised land is to basically win out. When I spoke with CMM last summer at McCarran airport in Vegas for a few mintues, the man oozes confidence and basketball knowledge. Aka...he knows what he's doing. He knows a hell of a lot more than any of us armchair coaches. Now we are almost to 20 wins. TWENTY!!! Some of the wins haven't been pretty. They can't all be blowouts. We've seen what this team is capable of doing. It's time for us to rally, get behind the team or get left behind.

Oh and with all the national exposure, we are going to get EVERYONE'S top level game. That's the way it is. Treat every game as if it were the championship game.
Like this! Liked

speck
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by speck » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:35 pm

We do have 20 wins, but against what kind of teams ? We are going have a very tough time to make the dance with what a lot of us thought at one time was one of the better teams we have had in a while. Maybe we have turned it around, we shall see Thursday night.
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:56 pm

speck wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:35 pm
We do have 20 wins, but against what kind of teams ? We are going have a very tough time to make the dance with what a lot of us thought at one time was one of the better teams we have had in a while. Maybe we have turned it around, we shall see Thursday night.
Why do our own fans hold us to a different standard than everybody else? I don’t care who you are or what conference you are FORCED into, 19 flipping wins against 4 losses vs Alabama, Auburn, Belmont and Jax State in a year coming off a conference championship regular and tourney after losing two superstar studs and starting and relying on so many freshmen and sophomores is PHENOMENAL! Go Racers!
Like this! Liked

Explore Kentucky Lake