Educate me on our recent losses

This forum is for the discussion of the men's basketball team.
smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Re: Educate me on our recent losses

Post by smidge34 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:02 am

Lindy and Travis’ latest podcast has a great discussion on this subject. You know with all the Ja hype we tend to forget we are starting 2 freshmen and a sophomore but that gets brushed away because of Ja. Basketball is and always has been a team sport.
Like this! Liked

speck
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by speck » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:44 am

1 can't beat 5.
Like this! Liked

sigchimsu99
TRN Signee
TRN Signee

Post by sigchimsu99 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:40 am

speck wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:44 am
1 can't beat 5.
Unless you are Alabama where 3 almost beat 5 but the 1 vs 5 still holds
Like this! Liked

wkeown
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by wkeown » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:41 pm

Ok, I am going to break the bad news to everybody... We no longer have a shot to get into the Top 25 now unless we win out every game including the OVC tournament by at least 20 a night. It's just not going to happen. Fair? No. The cards are just stacked against mid-majors.

Unfortunately,, I see now that this team isn't going to exceed those expectations of the previously great Cannan-Long-Daniel lead team, but that's okay. Just get us to the Dance and I will be good.

I hate the term mid-majors. Our accomplishments over the last two decades far exceed 70 percent of the high major teams. Even though we have lost to these teams in the past: Georgia, Ole Miss, Auburn, Alabama, etc., secretly each one of those teams would LOVE to have sustained the long term success we have had. Just compare our records against half of the SEC or Big 11 and see if I am not right.

But unless Amazon relocated to Murray, KY and it became the nation's 6th largest city overnight, we will always be the little Hamlet of Murray, a city of 18,000 who loves it's basketball. Frankly, I'm tired of the same old narrative.

I have decided that at this juncture, if we just beat EIU by one, and Peay by 1 and all the other teams on the schedule by 1, it's good enough. I'm gonna quit whining about zone vs. man and all the other stuff I have whined about in the past. It's pointless

it's all about getting to the Dance and little David throwing that rock and knocking down a giant. I'd you get one or two wins in the tourney, you call it major success, lose your coaches and rebuild. That is the world we live in. We aren't allowed to have more.

Last edited by wkeown on Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Like this! Liked

racerlover
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by racerlover » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:15 pm

wkeown wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:41 pm
Ok, I am going to break the bad news to everybody... We no longer have a shot to get into the Top 25 now unless we win out every game including the OVC tournament by at least 20 a night. It's just not going to happen. Fair? No. The cards are just stacked against mid-majors.

Unfortunately,, I see now that this team isn't going to exceed those expectations of the previously great Cannan-Long-Daniel lead team, but that's okay. Just get us to the Dance and I will be good.

I hate the term mid-majors. Our accomplishments over the last two decades far exceed 70 percent of the high major teams. Even though we have lost to these teams in the past: Georgia, Ole Miss, Auburn, Alabama, etc., secretly each one of those teams would LOVE to have sustained the long term success we have had. Just compare our records against half of the SEC or Big 11 and see if I am not right.

But unless Amazon relocated to Murray, KY and it became the nation's 6th largest city overnight, we will always be the little Hamlet of Murray, a city of 18,000 who loves it's basketball. Frankly, I'm tired of the same old narrative.

I have decided that at this juncture, if we just beat EIU by one, and Peay by 1 and all the other teams on the schedule by 1, it's good enough. I'm gonna quit whining about zone vs. man and all the other stuff I have whined about in the past. It's pointless

it's all about getting to the Dance and little David throwing that rock and knocking down a giant. I'd you get one or two wins in the tourney, you call it major success, lose your coaches and rebuild. That is the world we live in. We aren't allowed to have more.

I agree with everything you said except one thing. We won't get into the Top 25 no matter how much we win by. My main concern is the same as everyone else's on here. Making the dance. The problem I have is, if we do make the dance, being an damn 15 seed because of the conference we play in. Right now, I just hope we best EIU. Baby steps.
Like this! Liked

msuowns
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by msuowns » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:09 pm

We were setting at a 12 seed before we went into the downward spiral. So saying a 15 seed for us because of the ovc doesn’t sound right to me. That post about us starting a soph. 2 freshman and Cowart’s first year. That is a good reason I should not be so hard on them. Not sure Ja is still 100% either.
Like this! Liked
"Home, home again I like to be here when I can. When I come home cold and tired, it's good to warm my bones by the fire".

Dan T
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by Dan T » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:07 pm

The team is not playing at a level that's better than a 15 seed.
Like this! Liked

Ghughes
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by Ghughes » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:15 am

Just an observation. True, our team’s level of play is not where it needs to be for a better than 15 seed right now. But that never seems to be an obstacle for the selection committee when placing the 5, 6, 7 teams from the power five conferences...
Like this! Liked

Explore Kentucky Lake