If you are trying to register an account please use a valid email address. You may need to check your Junk/Spam/Social folder for the activation email.

Educate me on our recent losses

This forum is for the discussion of the men's basketball team.
racernut69
TRN Benchwarmer
TRN Benchwarmer

Educate me on our recent losses

Post by racernut69 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:56 am

I am relatively new to this forum, so I seek wisdom in understanding the "dynamics" and consistency of our team.

We played well against Alabama and Auburn. We had the same guys, the same coach, etc when we lost to Belmont and Jacksonville. I believe Auburn was ranked in the top 10 when we lost to them.

You all can say "match-ups," but I can't grasp that concept re: our losses.

The basketball world is drooling to see Ja play in the Big Dance. But the nagging question is, "are we good enough to beat Belmont, Jax and Peay?" I think we are potentially, but look at the scoring in our last game against Tech - pitiful. Was Tech's defense that good or did we just miss too many shots?

I cringe after the tipoff. I always expect our team to fall behind, even against teams that rank way down in the 300's.

Have we lost our "chemistry?" Do the other 4 players truly expect Ja to do it all?

Thanks.
Like this! Liked

apsufan82
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Re: Educate me on our recent losses

Post by apsufan82 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:25 pm

racernut69 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:56 am
I am relatively new to this forum, so I seek wisdom in understanding the "dynamics" and consistency of our team.

We played well against Alabama and Auburn. We had the same guys, the same coach, etc when we lost to Belmont and Jacksonville. I believe Auburn was ranked in the top 10 when we lost to them.

You all can say "match-ups," but I can't grasp that concept re: our losses.

The basketball world is drooling to see Ja play in the Big Dance. But the nagging question is, "are we good enough to beat Belmont, Jax and Peay?" I think we are potentially, but look at the scoring in our last game against Tech - pitiful. Was Tech's defense that good or did we just miss too many shots?

I cringe after the tipoff. I always expect our team to fall behind, even against teams that rank way down in the 300's.

Have we lost our "chemistry?" Do the other 4 players truly expect Ja to do it all?

Thanks.
I disagree on your "match-ups" take. I think a lot, not all, but a lot of it has to do with match-ups.
Like this! Liked
Follow me on twitter @cmathews82.

racerlover
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by racerlover » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:38 pm

I think a lot of it has to do with other teams have figured out how to defend our style of play and we need to adjust. It could be chemistry. It could be anything. These are still kids and it takes time to adjust. This month is beyond crucial. Curious about how it's going to play out. Also, I don't think they players expect Ja to do it all...however...EVERYONE is going to have to step up their game. That includes Ja. There's always room for improvement. I'm not a coach, just my observations. Crucial times right now.
Like this! Liked

racerpower
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by racerpower » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:58 pm

If other teams have figured us out then why haven't we figured out other teams ? :thumbdown: :think:
Like this! Liked

racerlover
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by racerlover » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:46 pm

racerpower wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:58 pm
If other teams have figured us out then why haven't we figured out other teams ? :thumbdown: :think:
That would be a good question for the coaching staff. I think we'll see much improvement in the coming weeks, because what we've been doing isn't working well enough. Or maybe we won't. I don't know. I just give opinions like everyone else. The coaches are smart. The players are smart. I have faith in all of them.
Like this! Liked

wkeown
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by wkeown » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:12 pm

If you look at last year’s schedule vs. this year’s schedule, there are lots of similarities. Back in mid-January, we lost to both Belmont and Jax State, though we weren’t spanked as bad. I agree with the above statement. They figured out how to slow the offense down. We will adjust but it will take a few games to do so.
Like this! Liked

murraygrad05
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by murraygrad05 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:51 pm

I think last year a big difference is that we had 2 scoring threats that pretty much could carry us if one was off. Tevin had flashes of being that guy but has faded. Shaq has also had flashes of being the second option but hasn't been reliable. When they both aren't on Ja can only do so much by himself. The last few games with Ja's ankle the weakness of the rest of the team has been exposed.

If Cowart would quit trying that falling backward baby hook when he shoots his percentage will go back up. When he goes straight up he's hard to stop.

KJ needs to get back to his aggressive play and be a force in the paint again. He's been drawn out to the perimeter, which is an outstanding scouting job by other teams, and has been ineffective. Same goes for Brion.

I think we have more atleticism than last year's team overall, but we are just stuck in a rut that is not impossible to get out of. Just need to refocus.
Like this! Liked

racernut69
TRN Benchwarmer
TRN Benchwarmer

Post by racernut69 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:33 am

I wonder how many of our players and coaches read the comments on Racer Nation comment board?
Like this! Liked

SoILRacer
TRN Benchwarmer
TRN Benchwarmer

Post by SoILRacer » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:02 am

We have played against some great coaching in our losses, especially. The good news is our offense is seeing just about every gimmick defense other teams can throw against us. I am hopeful we will recognize them and adapt accordingly. Because our offense has become a lot of “stand and watch Ja create something, with an occasional backdoor alleyoop.”

My other concern is our defense. The press seems to help us out. However, we are getting killed on points in the paint. The backdoor cut has been our nemesis, not only this season, but in recent seasons. We figured it out by the tournament last season. I am hopeful we will again this year.
Like this! Liked

wallaceracer
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by wallaceracer » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:53 am

racernut69 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:33 am
I wonder how many of our players and coaches read the comments on Racer Nation comment board?
I would guess none, but I wish the coaching staff would read a few posts...
Like this! Liked

atlantaracer
TRN Benchwarmer
TRN Benchwarmer

Post by atlantaracer » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:12 am

wkeown wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:12 pm
If you look at last year’s schedule vs. this year’s schedule, there are lots of similarities. Back in mid-January, we lost to both Belmont and Jax State, though we weren’t spanked as bad. I agree with the above statement. They figured out how to slow the offense down. We will adjust but it will take a few games to do so.
Lots of similarities. The biggest difference in my opinion is that Belmont, Jax and Austin Peay are better this year - but the rest of the conference is worse (EKU is a little better). The other difference is defense. We just can’t defend the post this year.

The offense has quit moving without the ball.

Less than a month to figure it out. See you in Evansville.
Like this! Liked

fmftballmgr
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by fmftballmgr » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:20 am

conference road games are hard no matter what conference you are in. Michigan State lost to Illinois last night in champaign
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:24 am

It doesn’t matter footballmgr, we are held to a different standard than everybody else, even by our own “fans”. When we lose a game we no longer get top-25 consideration and woe is me the sky is falling, but big money conference programs are just trying to figure it out or it’s tough to win on the road when they drop a game. That’s the deal.
Like this! Liked

msuowns
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by msuowns » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:26 am

This is where a coach earns his money. We have been getting worse the last month. If cam doesn’t get things turned around, he will be back next year.
Like this! Liked
"Home, home again I like to be here when I can. When I come home cold and tired, it's good to warm my bones by the fire".

sigchimsu99
TRN Signee
TRN Signee

Post by sigchimsu99 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:53 am

msuowns wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:26 am
This is where a coach earns his money. We have been getting worse the last month. If cam doesn’t get things turned around, he will be back next year.
I mean everybody does realize that this group has 3 guys that saw significant minutes at Div 1 and after that its juco or Freshman. We all have to remember the polls are great but that doesnt get you to the Dance because look what Cam's team did and off to the NIT we go. So what really matters is Evansville and all these conference games are just for positioning in the tournament. We just need to win the OVC tournament.
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:59 am

msuowns wrote:
Cam who?
Like this! Liked

msuowns
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by msuowns » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:03 pm

smidge34 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:59 am
msuowns wrote:
Cam who?
Cmm that’s who. Smudge sometimes a phone will do that.lol
Like this! Liked
"Home, home again I like to be here when I can. When I come home cold and tired, it's good to warm my bones by the fire".

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:26 pm

msuowns wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:03 pm
smidge34 wrote:
msuowns wrote:
Cam who?
Well owls lol, when the word is changed to “CAM” it would take a mindreader to get what you meant.
Like this! Liked

speck
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by speck » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:27 pm

With the ups and downs of the last few years A beer garden in the bank might help things.
Like this! Liked

msuowns
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by msuowns » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:55 pm

smidge34 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:26 pm
msuowns wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:03 pm
smidge34 wrote:

Cam who?
Well owls lol, when the word is changed to “CAM” it would take a mindreader to get what you meant.
Smudge, “ this is where a coach earns his money” mindreader? Auto correct is usually something I can see.
Like this! Liked

Explore Kentucky Lake