If you are trying to register an account please use a valid email address. You may need to check your Junk/Spam/Social folder for the activation email.

RACERS vs Eastern Illinois Game Thread

This forum is for the discussion of the men's basketball team.
SwedeDRC
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Re: RACERS vs Eastern Illinois Game Thread

Post by SwedeDRC » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:00 am

RACE....There may be something to your thoughts about fouls...EIU had 20 and we had 10 last night...Yeah 10...for the whole game..

Whitley and Cowart had 4 each. I cant remember when, if ever, we had 10 fouls for an entire game. Sure kept them off the free throw line where they went 7 for 9 vs our 19 for 24...(Note a plus 12 and the margin of victory was 11) Despite this perhaps lack of aggressiveness we out rebounded EIU 39 vs 35 too..

Wondering if a focus on not fouling was part of the game plan.

Still we do operate at 3/4 effort much of the time and if this doesnt end we are toast.
Like this! Liked

02Racer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by 02Racer » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:25 am

Dan T wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:25 am
02Racer wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:06 am
The superior talent and athleticism of our guys allowed them to easily put EIU away when they decided to flip the switch. They key is bringing that level of intensity on a more consistent basis.
We won because EIU quit scoring. No doubt, we did have something to do with that, but EIU simply missing the shots they had been hitting all game was the most of it. The defense flat out stinks. Until that changes, this team is going to under-perform.
EIU quit scoring because our guys cranked the defensive intensity from about a 2 to 11. Most of those shots they were hitting earlier were either wide open 3s or uncontested layups.

How many clean looks did they get when they "quit scoring?"

Not only were we getting steals, deflections and hands in their faces, we were completely disrupting their offensive flow and dominating them on defensive rebounds.

How many second looks did they get when they "quit scoring?"
Like this! Liked

msuowns
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by msuowns » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:02 pm

02Racer wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:25 am
Dan T wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:25 am
02Racer wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:06 am
The superior talent and athleticism of our guys allowed them to easily put EIU away when they decided to flip the switch. They key is bringing that level of intensity on a more consistent basis.
We won because EIU quit scoring. No doubt, we did have something to do with that, but EIU simply missing the shots they had been hitting all game was the most of it. The defense flat out stinks. Until that changes, this team is going to under-perform.
EIU quit scoring because our guys cranked the defensive intensity from about a 2 to 11. Most of those shots they were hitting earlier were either wide open 3s or uncontested layups.

How many clean looks did they get when they "quit scoring?"

Not only were we getting steals, deflections and hands in their faces, we were completely disrupting their offensive flow and dominating them on defensive rebounds.

How many second looks did they get when they "quit scoring?"
wonder why it took the last qrt. of the game to shutdown their offense? KJ had a huge game at eiu, not sure he has had a huge game since. Cowart went to work on that 5 guard team eiu was playing.
Like this! Liked
"Home, home again I like to be here when I can. When I come home cold and tired, it's good to warm my bones by the fire".

STLRacer
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by STLRacer » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:46 pm

One big positive thing from last nights game in my eyes is the huge runs we went on. This team thrived on those early in the season. We had a couple games that were close until we would have five minute explosions of offense while shutting the other team down and the opponents could never recover. The difference to me between then and now is early we all knew that spurt was coming, it wasn't a matter of if, it was when. Now we don't know if it is going to happen because of the D. I think we have seen CMM grow a lot as a coach in his time here, and I think he has gotten better at in game adjustments. This wasn't evident against Belmont and Jax State, but that is when we are competing against the upper echelon of OVC coaches. So my question is this, are we now seeing a coaching weakness that he needs to work on in the season long adjustments? This team was better than we thought they would be early, and how much of this is that other coaches now have figured out a way to attack our D, and our staff haven't figured out what to do with it? Is this purely effort and on the players? On the coaches for not being able to make adjustments to style as other coaches figure us out? A combo of both?
Like this! Liked

evvracerfan
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by evvracerfan » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:06 pm

STLRacer wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:46 pm
One big positive thing from last nights game in my eyes is the huge runs we went on. This team thrived on those early in the season. We had a couple games that were close until we would have five minute explosions of offense while shutting the other team down and the opponents could never recover. The difference to me between then and now is early we all knew that spurt was coming, it wasn't a matter of if, it was when. Now we don't know if it is going to happen because of the D. I think we have seen CMM grow a lot as a coach in his time here, and I think he has gotten better at in game adjustments. This wasn't evident against Belmont and Jax State, but that is when we are competing against the upper echelon of OVC coaches. So my question is this, are we now seeing a coaching weakness that he needs to work on in the season long adjustments? This team was better than we thought they would be early, and how much of this is that other coaches now have figured out a way to attack our D, and our staff haven't figured out what to do with it? Is this purely effort and on the players? On the coaches for not being able to make adjustments to style as other coaches figure us out? A combo of both?
Our offensive runs have often been keyed at the defensive end off turnovers and forcing poor shots by the opponent. The intensity on D has been lacking on a consistent basis for a while now, but one of the adjustments coach has made this year is occasionally throwing in the press/half court trap. I love that aspect because it seems to energize us defensively, increases the pace of play, and can quickly turn momentum. I wish it would become part of coach's toolbox on a regular basis. Defensive effort lacking? We gonna start the half court trap on all made baskets and free throws for several possessions.

I've seen some posters asking why we don't play more zone. Coach has switched to zone several times in several of our games. The results have generally not been good when we went zone. If a team is playing passively on D, playing a zone isn't likely to increase the intensity. Plus it's just something we don't practice very much more than likely.

I love the fact that coach has shown the willingness to change things up from time to time. Starting lineups, rotations, defensive strategy - those things hopefully make us a little harder to prepare for. The two things that have changed for the worse since the start of the year for me are the consistency of defensive effort, and Ja's explosiveness since the ankle injury. To me it's obvious he's closer to 75% than 100% right now, and some of the moves he used to make easily are now turnovers or forced shots. We need Ja near 100% for the OVC tourney. If that's the case I'll take my chances against anyone.
Like this! Liked

75Fan
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by 75Fan » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:00 pm

When they show Ja from the perspective of looking down the court, it is easy to see he is getting fouled nearly every time he drives the ball. Sometimes, he looks like a pinball bouncing off a bumper.

It is so blatantly obvious he is getting bumped and pushed. Most of his "dribbling" turnovers are actually caused by the bumps and pushes he receives when trying to split 2 defenders.
from http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/BR19.pdf wrote: Handchecking/Body Bumping
Handchecking and body bumping cannot be permitted to return to the
game. While the committee feels that positive strides have been made in the
enforcement of Rule 10-1.4 fouls, this same awareness and diligent enforcement
by officials must continue this season. This is where the reduction in physical
play all begins.
I've seen opponents pushing with both hands into the back of our post players.
from http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/BR19.pdf wrote: Post Play
This area of the game continues to be a problem due to illegal actions by both
the offense and defense. Dislodging by both the offense and defense must not
be permitted. In addition, the warding off by the offensive player with a straight
arm when he is attempting to post up is a foul when contact occurs. “Swim”
moves by either the offense or defense are also fouls. The key to cleaning up
post play is to call the first foul keeping in mind that the defense is permitted
to place a forearm on the back of a post player in the post area as long as equal
pressure is being applied to the opponent.
Pushing and jockeying for position on free-throws is never called.
from http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/BR19.pdf wrote: Rebounding
Officials must continue to be aware of illegal activity during rebounding
situations. Pushing with arms, legs or the body, especially when the opponent is
airborne or during free throw situations is illegal and must be enforced.
Last year, impeding the progress was called ad nauseum. This year it is rarely enforced.
from http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/BR19.pdf wrote: Section 5. Blocking
Blocking is illegal personal contact that impedes the pro
gress of an opponent.
How many times have we seen players called for a block, when in fact, the ball handler moves into a defender's torso?
from http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/BR19.pdf wrote: Section 7. Charging
Charging is illegal personal contact by pushing or moving into an opponent’s
torso.
This next one I had no idea was legal!
from http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/BR19.pdf wrote: Art. 2.
It shall be legal for a defender to accidentally hit the hand of a ball-
handler when reaching to block or slap the ball when there is player control with
that player’s hand in contact with the ball and when that player is:
a.
A dribbler;
b. Attempting a try for field goal; or
c. Holding the ball.
This is done 150 times a game by both sides.
from http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/BR19.pdf wrote: Art. 4.
A player shall not use the arms, hands, hips or shoulders:
a. To force his way through a screen; or
b. To hold the screener and then push the screener aside in order to maintain
a guarding position relative to his opponent.
This next infraction is also not enforced very much.
from http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/BR19.pdf wrote: Art. 6.
It shall be illegal to extend an elbow(s) and make contact with an
opponent when:
a. Hands are on one’s hips;
b. Hands are held near one’s chest; or
c. Arms are held approximately horizontal to the playing court when not
holding the ball.
Note: These illegal positions are most commonly used when rebounding,
screening or in the various aspects of post play.

Art. 7.
The following shall be considered not only excessive, but extreme
swinging:
a. When arm(s) and elbow(s) are swung about while using the shoulders as
pivots, and the speed of the extended arm(s) and elbow(s) exceeds that of
the rest of the body as it rotates on the hips or on the pivot foot; or
b. When the speed and vigor with which the arm(s) and elbow(s) are swung
is such that injury could result if another player were contacted.
Has anyone ever seen a double-foul called, ever?
No player shall use arm(s), hand(s), hip(s) or shoulder(s) to force
through a screen or to hold or push the screener. When this type of contact
occurs and the screener has also violated a screening rule, a double foul may be
assessed.
from http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/BR19.pdf wrote: Section 4. Hand-Checking (Impeding the Progress of a Player)
To curtail hand-checking, officials must address it at the beginning of the game,
and related personal fouls must be called consistently throughout the game.
Some guidelines for officials to use when officiating hand-checking:
a. When a defensive player keeps a hand or forearm on an opponent, it is a personal
foul.

b. When a defensive player puts two hands on an opponent, it is a personal foul.
c. When a defensive player continually jabs by extending his arm(s) and placing a
hand or forearm on the opponent, it is a personal foul.
d. When a defensive player uses an arm bar to impede the progress of a dribbler, it is
a personal foul.
Anyone think the game is being called according to "rules"?
Like this! Liked

6 ETHICS OF LIFE

1. BEFORE YOU PRAY..........BELIEVE.
2. BEFORE YOU SPEAK.......LISTEN.
3. BEFORE YOU SPEND......EARN.
4. BEFORE YOU WRITE.......THINK.
5. BEFORE YOU QUIT...........TRY.
6. BEFORE YOU DIE.............LIVE.

speck
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by speck » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:09 pm

But you can't blame that on the way we are playing.
Like this! Liked

Dan T
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by Dan T » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:06 pm

75Fan wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:00 pm
When they show Ja from the perspective of looking down the court, it is easy to see he is getting fouled nearly every time he drives the ball. Sometimes, he looks like a pinball bouncing off a bumper.

It is so blatantly obvious he is getting bumped and pushed. Most of his "dribbling" turnovers are actually caused by the bumps and pushes he receives when trying to split 2 defenders.
from http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/BR19.pdf wrote: Handchecking/Body Bumping
Handchecking and body bumping cannot be permitted to return to the
game. While the committee feels that positive strides have been made in the
enforcement of Rule 10-1.4 fouls, this same awareness and diligent enforcement
by officials must continue this season. This is where the reduction in physical
play all begins.
I've seen opponents pushing with both hands into the back of our post players.
from http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/BR19.pdf wrote: Post Play
This area of the game continues to be a problem due to illegal actions by both
the offense and defense. Dislodging by both the offense and defense must not
be permitted. In addition, the warding off by the offensive player with a straight
arm when he is attempting to post up is a foul when contact occurs. “Swim”
moves by either the offense or defense are also fouls. The key to cleaning up
post play is to call the first foul keeping in mind that the defense is permitted
to place a forearm on the back of a post player in the post area as long as equal
pressure is being applied to the opponent.
Pushing and jockeying for position on free-throws is never called.
from http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/BR19.pdf wrote: Rebounding
Officials must continue to be aware of illegal activity during rebounding
situations. Pushing with arms, legs or the body, especially when the opponent is
airborne or during free throw situations is illegal and must be enforced.
Last year, impeding the progress was called ad nauseum. This year it is rarely enforced.
from http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/BR19.pdf wrote: Section 5. Blocking
Blocking is illegal personal contact that impedes the pro
gress of an opponent.
How many times have we seen players called for a block, when in fact, the ball handler moves into a defender's torso?
from http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/BR19.pdf wrote: Section 7. Charging
Charging is illegal personal contact by pushing or moving into an opponent’s
torso.
This next one I had no idea was legal!
from http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/BR19.pdf wrote: Art. 2.
It shall be legal for a defender to accidentally hit the hand of a ball-
handler when reaching to block or slap the ball when there is player control with
that player’s hand in contact with the ball and when that player is:
a.
A dribbler;
b. Attempting a try for field goal; or
c. Holding the ball.
This is done 150 times a game by both sides.
from http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/BR19.pdf wrote: Art. 4.
A player shall not use the arms, hands, hips or shoulders:
a. To force his way through a screen; or
b. To hold the screener and then push the screener aside in order to maintain
a guarding position relative to his opponent.
This next infraction is also not enforced very much.
It shall be illegal to extend an elbow(s) and make contact with an
opponent when:
a. Hands are on one’s hips;
b. Hands are held near one’s chest; or
c. Arms are held approximately horizontal to the playing court when not
holding the ball.
Note: These illegal positions are most commonly used when rebounding,
screening or in the various aspects of post play.

Art. 7.
The following shall be considered not only excessive, but extreme
swinging:
a. When arm(s) and elbow(s) are swung about while using the shoulders as
pivots, and the speed of the extended arm(s) and elbow(s) exceeds that of
the rest of the body as it rotates on the hips or on the pivot foot; or
b. When the speed and vigor with which the arm(s) and elbow(s) are swung
is such that injury could result if another player were contacted.
Has anyone ever seen a double-foul called, ever?
No player shall use arm(s), hand(s), hip(s) or shoulder(s) to force
through a screen or to hold or push the screener. When this type of contact
occurs and the screener has also violated a screening rule, a double foul may be
assessed.
from http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/BR19.pdf wrote: Section 4. Hand-Checking (Impeding the Progress of a Player)
To curtail hand-checking, officials must address it at the beginning of the game,
and related personal fouls must be called consistently throughout the game.
Some guidelines for officials to use when officiating hand-checking:
a. When a defensive player keeps a hand or forearm on an opponent, it is a personal
foul.

b. When a defensive player puts two hands on an opponent, it is a personal foul.
c. When a defensive player continually jabs by extending his arm(s) and placing a
hand or forearm on the opponent, it is a personal foul.
d. When a defensive player uses an arm bar to impede the progress of a dribbler, it is
a personal foul.
Anyone think the game is being called according to "rules"?
I'm going to disagree with your assessment that Morant is being frequently fouled with no call when driving the ball. We have a lot of people in the stands (not you 75) hollering bloody murder every time he makes a move, misses a wild attempt on the goal, and then falls down because he gave up his balance trying to tease the ball into the basket. It's true that he will score a lot of the time if he doesn't get fouled, but sometimes he just can't get in a position to get the ball in the hole and the attempt is not even close. I have grown rather disgusted with the yahoos sitting in my vicinity who don't know the difference and really wouldn't care if they did know it. It's downright embarrasing how badly they behave in public. Did everybody hear the guy bawling like a cow over and over while the officials reviewed a foul by EIU? Are we being infiltrated by UK fans or something?
Like this! Liked

runner67
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by runner67 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:46 pm

My 2 cents worth.
We are at our best when Ja and Associates have a full 94 feet X 50 to run their “free & loose” offense. That “play” starts with a defensive turnover or defensive rebound.
THAT HAS NOT HAPPENED CONSISTENTLY AGAINST THE UPPER TIER OF THE OVC.
Coach Byrd reduced Ja to an area of 47 feet by 25 feet (along with a sprained ankle)
The JSU crew punished us inside and had us waiting for the ball as it slip though the net.
We have to evoke our style of play on our opponents. If we can’t do that we should be prepared for a 4 seed.

~DISCLAIMER: I hold Woodford Reserve fully and completely liable if this makes no sense!
Last edited by runner67 on Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Like this! Liked

speck
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by speck » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:19 am

Everybody relax and enjoy tonight. Racers will look like a NBA team tonight.
Like this! Liked

Explore Kentucky Lake