If you are trying to register an account please use a valid email address. You may need to check your Junk/Spam/Social folder for the activation email.

Shifting Sands

This forum is for the discussion of the men's basketball team.
wallaceracer
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Re: Shifting Sands

Post by wallaceracer » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:15 pm

MICHIANA RACER wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:20 pm
Belmont plays at EKU. JSU has the Death Valley and Illinois road trips, EKU and EIU can pull off the upsets. Don’t under estimate Mayo fighting to make his final OVC tourney. I do agree and said that the Racers have a tough schedule remaining, likely the toughest.
JSU has already made the death valley trip.

Of the 4 current teams in first place, I think Belmont stands the greatest chance of winning the OVC. That's tough to swollow too, because I think they're the fourth most talented team of the four. Peay is good for a couple more losses. Jax St is good for another loss, maybe two. And I don't even know what to think about us. Teams have scouted us effectively, and CMM has made 0 adjustments.

I've moved on to the one game at a time crowd. I'm just hoping for a win Thursday night.
Like this! Liked

Dan T
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by Dan T » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:51 pm

MICHIANA RACER wrote:
Belmont plays at EKU. JSU has the Death Valley and Illinois road trips, EKU and EIU can pull off the upsets. Don’t under estimate Mayo fighting to make his final OVC tourney. I do agree and said that the Racers have a tough schedule remaining, likely the toughest.
Unless things are changed by then, we could easily come home with 2 losses on our next road trip. Frankly, if they win 3 of the next 4, that's doing well considering what we saw last night.
Like this! Liked

RacerLegacy84
TRN Recruit
TRN Recruit

Post by RacerLegacy84 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:20 am

wallaceracer wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:15 pm
MICHIANA RACER wrote:
JSU has already made the death valley trip.

Of the 4 current teams in first place, I think Belmont stands the greatest chance of winning the OVC. That's tough to swollow too, because I think they're the fourth most talented team of the four. Peay is good for a couple more losses. Jax St is good for another loss, maybe two. And I don't even know what to think about us. Teams have scouted us effectively, and CMM has made 0 adjustments.

I've moved on to the one game at a time crowd. I'm just hoping for a win Thursday night.
Your statement, "CMM has made 0 adjustments," is the statement for all our conference losses. Why do we wait so late to show a full court press, trap, or force turnovers - do that earlier when we have more time to cut the point difference. The rotation has confused me the last 3 games as well. It's frustrating because we know how good these young men are - look how they played against Alabama and Auburn. Not the same team. We have a month left of games before we know the ultimate seeding for Evansville, LOTS can happen in the next 4 weeks.
Like this! Liked

speck
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by speck » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:54 am

Off Topic
RacerPreacher wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:40 pm
Where do see Belmont and JSU losing? We have a much tougher remaining schedule than either one of them.
We have to play one team Pomeroy ranked 123, AP, rest are ranked 234, 256, 296, 310, 315 and 323. We are ranked 61 as of today. We have one of the top 5 players in the country that's got an assist record that didn't come from having bad players on his team. Go figure.
Like this! Liked

A_1985_grad
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by A_1985_grad » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:39 pm

speck wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:54 am
Off Topic
RacerPreacher wrote:
Where do see Belmont and JSU losing? We have a much tougher remaining schedule than either one of them.
We have to play one team Pomeroy ranked 123, AP, rest are ranked 234, 256, 296, 310, 315 and 323. We are ranked 61 as of today. We have one of the top 5 players in the country that's got an assist record that didn't come from having bad players on his team. Go figure.
I agree, I'm not buying this "tough schedule" stance. Yes, the two games against Peay will be tough and EKU and Morehead won't be pushovers on their home courts, but we should be favored in the remaining eight regular-season games. 8-0 wouldn't surprise me.
Last edited by A_1985_grad on Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Like this! Liked

wallaceracer
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by wallaceracer » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:40 pm

speck wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:54 am
Off Topic
RacerPreacher wrote:
Have you WATCHED us play recently? This time of year in conference play you can throw the rankings and ratings out the window.
Like this! Liked

A_1985_grad
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by A_1985_grad » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:41 pm

Yes, ALL conference games are on a different level, but the team is 17-4 for a reason. Every team goes through lulls. I'm confident that they'll right the ship this month and be on a roll come Evansville.
Like this! Liked

RacerPreacher
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by RacerPreacher » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:48 pm

I’m very concerned about the game at Eastern because our bigs have shown they have trouble handling skilled big men over the past two weeks. Mayo had a big game against us in Murray and we were playing much better during that stretch. I am also concerned about the two games against Peay. They just beat Jacksonville a team that embarrassed us. We had better be ready or we might be playing for a fourth-place finish. I believe in this team and still think they can make a run in the Big Dance if we get there. But, we have to make some adjustments and we have to start playing the kind of defense that helped us look unstoppable just three weeks ago.
Like this! Liked
“I hate to lose more than I love to win.”

MarshallRacer
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by MarshallRacer » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:00 pm

The staff's reaction to the last couple games will tell us a lot about just how much they've grown IMO. I discount the Belmont game, Ja was hurt and everything was thrown into chaos. JSU packed the lane and took away our top options and won easily. Tech tried the same and looked like world beaters, or at least MSU beaters. I expect most teams will pack the lane to take away Ja's drives and alley oop passes from here on in. If there are 4 people in the lane then at least 3 Racers are either wide open or standing around taking pictures.
Like this! Liked
Enjoy every day because things change fast - Billy Kennedy October 2011

75Fan
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by 75Fan » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:27 pm

Rebounding.

We are backpedalling when a shot is taken - and still getting beat down the court sometimes.

Few are looking for someone to block out.

Entry passes to the post are not trapped and bigs are iso-ing down for a two-foot shot and 85% chance of making the basket. THIS is a big reason we lost to both Belmont and JSU and almost lost to TTU, imo.

We are hesitating to shoot the open perimeter shots because we're trying to find the higher percentage shot, but if we're struggling to find that shot, we need to take what we can and crash the boards, imo.

:twocents:
Like this! Liked

6 ETHICS OF LIFE

1. BEFORE YOU PRAY..........BELIEVE.
2. BEFORE YOU SPEAK.......LISTEN.
3. BEFORE YOU SPEND......EARN.
4. BEFORE YOU WRITE.......THINK.
5. BEFORE YOU QUIT...........TRY.
6. BEFORE YOU DIE.............LIVE.

popeyejonesfan
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by popeyejonesfan » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:02 am

A lot has changed since there were claims this is the best prepared Racer team in years. We’ve gone from putting a scare into Auburn and Bama to not being able to compete with Belmont and JSU. I figured if any team had the athletes to stop Morant and the coach to make adjustments to stop him, it would be Auburn.
Like this! Liked

Explore Kentucky Lake