If you are trying to register an account please use a valid email address. You may need to check your Junk/Spam/Social folder for the activation email.

Shifting Sands

This forum is for the discussion of the men's basketball team.
75Fan
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Shifting Sands

Post by 75Fan » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:38 am

The last 3 games have shown us our 2 worst performances of the year in Jacksonville State and Belmont and our best of the year in Tennessee State so far this season.
Like this! Liked

6 ETHICS OF LIFE

1. BEFORE YOU PRAY..........BELIEVE.
2. BEFORE YOU SPEAK.......LISTEN.
3. BEFORE YOU SPEND......EARN.
4. BEFORE YOU WRITE.......THINK.
5. BEFORE YOU QUIT...........TRY.
6. BEFORE YOU DIE.............LIVE.

racernut69
TRN Benchwarmer
TRN Benchwarmer

Re: Shifting Sands

Post by racernut69 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:06 am

We have a long way to go, so let up keep the faith.

And remember: The greatest power is often simple patience.

We have a good coach. He'll analyze the game and learn from it. JAX looked very good, though.

Moving on!!!!!
Like this! Liked

jayinbama
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by jayinbama » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:04 am

Lost to both last year and it all worked out in the end.
Like this! Liked

Kentucky Lake
TRN Benchwarmer
TRN Benchwarmer

Post by Kentucky Lake » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:13 am

The two big losses and the blowout win against TSU - is that a product of our style of play? If we aren't running, dunking, getting lots of steals and fast breaks - do we crumble? We destroyed TSU. We got destroyed last night. It's all weird to me. Wildly inconsistent.

I love the Sagarin Ratings. One thing that glares out to me is the RECENT ranking (on the far right in the link below). We've been going down fast since the SIUE game (sans TSU).
http://sagarin.com/sports/cbsend.htm
Like this! Liked
"This is Murray State. Regardless of who we have I don’t see how you could pick us eighth. It’s disrespectful to us. We should never be picked worse than third. I don’t care who we have." - Shawn Witherspoon, 9-19-06

msuowns
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by msuowns » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:35 am

75Fan wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:38 am
The last 3 games have shown us our 2 worst performances of the year in Jacksonville State and Belmont and our best of the year in Tennessee State so far this season.
Well, 2 of those teams are better than we are and the other team is really horrible. There isn’t a majic bullet where our bigs transform to really good players. Is what it is
Like this! Liked
"Home, home again I like to be here when I can. When I come home cold and tired, it's good to warm my bones by the fire".

RACERlineman
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by RACERlineman » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:42 am

I just want our defensive effort back. We need to work to get others open without depending fully on Ja's greatness. Learn and move forward and bring back the hustle. Losing the double bye sucks though. At least my hotel in Evansville only 50 bucks a night. Won't hurt to add another day like Nashville did.
Like this! Liked
Twitter @Danielgoracers

wkeown
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by wkeown » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:32 pm

What appeared obvious to me is that Belmont and Jacksonville were just more physical inside - period. They both spanked us and now we have to go back to the drawing board to figure out who we are. But you know, it's not all bad. Better being the hunter instead of the hunted at this time of year.

I feel bad for Devin Gilmore. Glad to see him getting more minutes, but I am not sure if he knows what role he is supposed to be playing out there. Though I am guessing he probably considers himself more of an offensive player than defensive, his focus needs to be on defense to help the team...something I don't think he is comfortable with at the moment.

When I look at his physical structure, he is only 1 inch shorter than Daniel, and 20 pounds lighter. But he is a better athlete. Add 10 pounds to his frame and put major focus on his defense and rebounding, he could be that Ed Daniel for us next year. I am also guessing that the reason McMahon has him out there is that he is hoping that Devin will come to that same realization.
Like this! Liked

wallaceracer
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by wallaceracer » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:49 pm

I'm glad to see Gilmore getting minutes, but I just don't think he has the size to compete with the bigs of Belmont and Jax State. He's got a lot of heart and hustle, but that only takes you so far sometimes when you're playing against guys that are 4-6 inches taller and 50 pounds heavier. He's listed at 6-6 200, but I think that's being generous.
Like this! Liked

msuowns
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by msuowns » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:37 pm

Belmont and Jax also have great coaching. Hard to believe Jax is a power now.
Like this! Liked
"Home, home again I like to be here when I can. When I come home cold and tired, it's good to warm my bones by the fire".

Ron4Racers
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by Ron4Racers » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:18 pm

msuowns wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:37 pm
I thought we were all in agreement that Harper sucked. Byrd is a good coach with a good system that he recruits to and wins with. But Harper is a cheater and bad from everything I’ve read in the past.
Like this! Liked
GO RACERS!!!!

Dan T
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by Dan T » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:34 pm

Things didn't work out for Harper at Western, but I've never heard anyone saying that he can't coach. JSU may not have the same standards as MSU for what kind of person they recruit. I cannot say. It's been a while now since it worked out for ANYONE at Western.
Like this! Liked

msuowns
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by msuowns » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:30 pm

Ron4Racers wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:18 pm
msuowns wrote:
I thought we were all in agreement that Harper sucked. Byrd is a good coach with a good system that he recruits to and wins with. But Harper is a cheater and bad from everything I’ve read in the past.
Harper turned a loser into a power. nuff said.
Like this! Liked

MarshallRacer
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by MarshallRacer » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:13 pm

Ron4Racers wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:18 pm
msuowns wrote:
Careful with the "all" label. Harper is a hell of a coach that has won everywhere he has coached, even Worstern. People love to point at the "scandal" at KWC but always fail to mention the findings were later vacated because KWC followed the rules in place when players were admitted. They had changed and some overzealous pencil pusher tried to make a case.
Like this! Liked
Enjoy every day because things change fast - Billy Kennedy October 2011

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:29 pm

Marshall I’m not saying he sucks but Harper didn’t win jack at Worsten but a 16 seed PIG or he’d still have a job. Just like Horn he dropped the series with us when his seat got hot.
Like this! Liked

MarshallRacer
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by MarshallRacer » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:17 pm

Fair enough smidge, I would say the way McDonald (I think that was his name) left the program had a lot to do with that and even getting the PIG was an accomplishment. How great would it be if he has more NCAA tourney success (as the second team in of course) in Jacksonville than in Rolling Green?
Like this! Liked
Enjoy every day because things change fast - Billy Kennedy October 2011

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:00 pm

That’s the best part of his success at Jax to me.
Like this! Liked

Ron4Racers
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by Ron4Racers » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:51 pm

Don’t look now but I think Harper sucks again. Oops.
Like this! Liked
GO RACERS!!!!

MICHIANA RACER
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by MICHIANA RACER » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:22 pm

Belmont and JSU both drop one more conference game with JSU possibly dropping two. Our challenge is to win out with several remaining games that will be tough.
Like this! Liked

RacerPreacher
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by RacerPreacher » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:40 pm

Where do see Belmont and JSU losing? We have a much tougher remaining schedule than either one of them.
Like this! Liked
“I hate to lose more than I love to win.”

MICHIANA RACER
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by MICHIANA RACER » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:20 pm

Belmont plays at EKU. JSU has the Death Valley and Illinois road trips, EKU and EIU can pull off the upsets. Don’t under estimate Mayo fighting to make his final OVC tourney. I do agree and said that the Racers have a tough schedule remaining, likely the toughest.
Like this! Liked

Explore Kentucky Lake