If you are trying to register an account please use a valid email address. You may need to check your Junk/Spam/Social folder for the activation email.

RACERS @ UT-Martin Game Thread

This forum is for the discussion of the men's basketball team.
75Fan
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Re: RACERS @ UT-Martin Game Thread

Post by 75Fan » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:35 pm

As a numbers guy, I, too, have a tendency to go with the-best-5-players-as-starters mentality - that's just human nature.

I have learned, however, that it's not about who starts but contributes the most during the game on both sides of the ball.

As an example, one thing you will never see in a box score is how many times a player prevented his opponent from getting a rebound by fundamentally blocking them out or tipping a rebound to a fellow teammate without fouling. When 2 great teams play each other, this is the kind of effort that makes all the difference in which team comes out victorious. The key is instilling this mentality into each and every player on every single possession - offensively and defensively. Rick Byrd recruits this kind of player.

Even though we have a stud in Ja Morant, he is an unselfish stud, and because of that, he enables and encourages others on the team to be the best stud they can be too! This breeds confidence throughout the whole team and is the stuff that champions are made of.

CMM has proven himself to be a very capable coach and this year's team seems to be as well-prepared game-to-game than any I can remember.

Maybe Brion is the most-prepared of our bigs for all defenses thrown at us. I rarely see CMM correcting him for where he needs to be. His mere presence alone makes guards and wings pass the ball instead of putting up shots when they drive. This isn't shown in the box score either.

If we were losing, I can see taking umbrage with his playing time, but if CMM is comfortable with him, then so am I - especially since our only two losses were to SEC teams on their home floors in close games.

I'm enjoying watching the growth of not only our players, but also the growth of our coaching staff.

I'll just keep getting in line for the best ride at the carnival! :banana:

And.....

:hey:

:goracers:
Like this! Liked

6 ETHICS OF LIFE

1. BEFORE YOU PRAY..........BELIEVE.
2. BEFORE YOU SPEAK.......LISTEN.
3. BEFORE YOU SPEND......EARN.
4. BEFORE YOU WRITE.......THINK.
5. BEFORE YOU QUIT...........TRY.
6. BEFORE YOU DIE.............LIVE.

popeyejonesfan
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by popeyejonesfan » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:03 pm

When Dupree wasn’t giving as much effort as he should have last season, Brion picked up the slack. He looked like he gained a lot of confidence the last third of last season. I thought that would carry over to this season. He is an enigma.
Like this! Liked

JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by JoeD » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:55 pm

Like this! Liked
Im old enough to remember when being "politically correct" was understood to mean "not being a complete, racist, xenophobic a-hole". Good times...

smidge34
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by smidge34 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:10 pm

smidge34 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:29 am
Kentucky Lake wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:55 am
I totally understand the justification of wanting Cowart to start over Brion. I've heard all the reasons why he starts. But...

Last night Sanchious had defensive breakdowns that allowed Martin to score the first three baskets in the game. He also doesn't rebound very well and tends to turn the ball over in the post too much.

No doubt he performed better in the second half and he's had flashes of brilliance throughout the season, but he's not one of the best five players on the floor - on either side of the ball.

But I understand McMahon is loyal. I'm not on the coaching staff so I just smile and enjoy the ride.
Spot on, let’s be honest here he looked like crap a LOT last night like a LOT of the season in some areas of his game, but like you I’m relaxing and letting the staff handle it. They’re obviously doing something right, right? I was just having a bit of fun with the impressive persistence level I’m witnessing haha. Fun season all the way around.
:shock: :clap: much like with the women’s team, I’m no scout lol. Everybody who matters tells me he’s a difference maker.
Like this! Liked

Blue N Gold
TRN Benchwarmer
TRN Benchwarmer

Post by Blue N Gold » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:22 am

smidge34 wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:10 pm
smidge34 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:29 am
Kentucky Lake wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:55 am
I totally understand the justification of wanting Cowart to start over Brion. I've heard all the reasons why he starts. But...

Last night Sanchious had defensive breakdowns that allowed Martin to score the first three baskets in the game. He also doesn't rebound very well and tends to turn the ball over in the post too much.

No doubt he performed better in the second half and he's had flashes of brilliance throughout the season, but he's not one of the best five players on the floor - on either side of the ball.

But I understand McMahon is loyal. I'm not on the coaching staff so I just smile and enjoy the ride.
Spot on, let’s be honest here he looked like crap a LOT last night like a LOT of the season in some areas of his game, but like you I’m relaxing and letting the staff handle it. They’re obviously doing something right, right? I was just having a bit of fun with the impressive persistence level I’m witnessing haha. Fun season all the way around.
:shock: :clap: much like with the women’s team, I’m no scout lol. Everybody who matters tells me he’s a difference maker.

But but but he only scored 2 points (sarcastic voice). As I've said for years now...Coach is watching these guys practice and/or watching film dang near all day, every day and there's a reason Brion starts and gets the minutes he does..and Stark's tweet further cements that.
Like this! Liked

Explore Kentucky Lake