If you are trying to register an account please use a valid email address. You may need to check your Junk/Spam/Social folder for the activation email.

Ja Morant - The Truth

This forum is for the discussion of the men's basketball team.
JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Re: Ja Morant - The Truth

Post by JoeD » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:34 am

Ja names 2nd Team All America by the Sporting News. How are people still underrating this guy?!?
Like this! Liked
Im old enough to remember when being "politically correct" was understood to mean "not being a complete, racist, xenophobic a-hole". Good times...

02Racer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by 02Racer » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:37 am

Second team is a slap in the face.
Like this! Liked

JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by JoeD » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:39 am

agreed
Like this! Liked
Im old enough to remember when being "politically correct" was understood to mean "not being a complete, racist, xenophobic a-hole". Good times...

racerlover
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by racerlover » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:50 am

Honestly, I didn't even know the Sporting News still existed. Eff them.
Like this! Liked

msuowns
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by msuowns » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:59 am

racerlover wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:50 am
They show how out of touch they are
Like this! Liked
"Home, home again I like to be here when I can. When I come home cold and tired, it's good to warm my bones by the fire".

bjhracer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by bjhracer » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:13 pm

msuowns wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:59 am
racerlover wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:50 am
They show how out of touch they are
Was Canaan 2nd team or 1st team from Sporting news? Who was 1st team at PG spot? Can’t imagine there is a better one in college basketball.
Like this! Liked
"I hate losing, I hate losing more than I love winning." B.J. Jenkins

STLRacer
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by STLRacer » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:19 pm

Just motivation to fuel him in the tournament. Hope this pisses him off and he tears whatever overrated power 5 team we play to shreds. Guy had the best statistical season for a PG in regards to points and assists since assists became a stat and he isn't on your first team? no words.
Like this! Liked

JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by JoeD » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:19 pm

The pg from Michigan State
Like this! Liked

bjhracer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by bjhracer » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:28 pm

Write up for Winston :

Overview: The nation's best offensive point guard - a player so crafty and versatile he can hit you for 28 points (Rutgers), six 3-pointers (Northern Illinois) or a dozen assists (three different opponents) - has become a relentless workhorse as the Spartans have been absent four rotation players for extended periods, including top wing scoring option Joshua Langford since mid-December and top post option Nick Ward for the past half-dozen games. He has played 36 or more minutes 13 times, including 44 in an overtime loss to Indiana. No player has been more indispensable to his team.

The write up for Ja said his best game was the semi-final against Jax st. Also stated he made game winning free throws to win the game. Which is in itself inaccurate. He made the shot to put us ahead. Seems to me the only game the sporting news watched was the OVC tournament.
Like this! Liked

bjhracer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by bjhracer » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:29 pm

Winston averages 19points and 7.6 assist. How is that considered the nations best offensive point guard??
Like this! Liked

02Racer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by 02Racer » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:05 pm

bjhracer wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:29 pm
Winston averages 19points and 7.6 assist. How is that considered the nations best offensive point guard??
That would be a major letdown game for Ja. :lol:
Like this! Liked

bjhracer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by bjhracer » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:28 pm

Looks like Ja was 2nd team on NBC sports list as well. Winston again 1st team. Guy in twitter from sporting news said it was basically due to level of competition. So I guess the stats don’t matter and they just go by the eye test. I guess Winston looks like the better player to them.
Like this! Liked

bjhracer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by bjhracer » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:30 pm

Or they don’t want to sent the presedent for a mid major player to be 1st team. Could screw up a ton of high major recruiting strategies.
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:42 pm

You gotta remember you’re talking about journalists’ opinions here lmao.
Like this! Liked

racerlover
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by racerlover » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:49 pm

Sorry, but the opinion of TSN is meaningless. When draft day comes and he's in the top three picks...THAT is what matters.
Like this! Liked

02Racer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by 02Racer » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:51 pm

The fact that their other featured college basketball story is "500 Reasons Why a Losing Conference Record Shouldn't Keep (big budget) Teams out of the Tournament" tells me all I need to know.
Like this! Liked

runningracer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by runningracer » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:29 pm

No one plays more minutes than Ja, who comes out only after the lead is substantial. He has the ability to take over a game, or find a passing lane where one doesn't seem to exist. You can't believe anything the guy says after citing games the state player had against Northern Illinois, and Rutgers who are not exactly national powerhouses. I think he was too lazy to look at what Ja did against Auburn and Alabama. The Sporting News is a good authority on baseball, or at least they used to be. I didn't even know they covered basketball. Probably had a Michigan State alumnus watch the tournament on tv. The guy he mentioned will definitely be drafted after Ja. I wouldn't be too concerned about it. Ja will be either first or second team on almost all award lists. The best award will come on draft day as the guys that decide who is on that list have not only watched him multiple times, but will do it based strictly on business.
Last edited by runningracer on Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Like this! Liked

racerlover
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by racerlover » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:37 pm

runningracer wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:29 pm
The Sporting News is a good authority on baseball, or at least they used to be. I didn't even know they covered basketball. Probably had a Michigan State alumnus watch the tournament on tv. The guy he mentioned will definitely be drafted after Ja. I wouldn't be too concerned about it. Ja will be either first or second team on almost all award lists. The best award will come on draft day as the guys that decide who is on that list have not only watched him multiple times, but will do it based strictly on business.
You're correct! They were the authority on baseball, going back to the 1800's. I used to have a subscription to their weekly magazine, which hasn't been around for a long while now. That's why when it was mentioned, I was surprised that they were still around.
Like this! Liked

runningracer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by runningracer » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:52 pm

Yeah, they used to have about 30-40 full pages of nothing but baseball each week. Half a page on each team, with articles by writers like Joe Falls, from Detroit, Young from New York, and others. I knew they had stopped the print addition after they tried to expand to other sports. Shows how much interest they produced in that effort. They should have just stuck to baseball, even though Baseball America was starting to replace them. When it comes to basketball they are clueless. :roll: :evil:
Like this! Liked

racerlover
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by racerlover » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:01 pm

runningracer wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:52 pm
Yeah, they used to have about 30-40 full pages of nothing but baseball each week. Half a page on each team, with articles by writers like Joe Falls, from Detroit, Young from New York, and others. I knew they had stopped the print addition after they tried to expand to other sports. Shows how much interest they produced in that effort. They should have just stuck to baseball, even though Baseball America was starting to replace them. When it comes to basketball they are clueless. :roll: :evil:
Even Baseball Digest still exists. The problem is that the NFL and NBA have overtaken baseball in popularity. There are a million blogs and sports outlets out there and honestly, there's no room left for TSN.

This does bring back a ton of nostalgia for me. I always went to Readmore in Murray and would buy the college basketball and NBA previews from Street and Smith's and Hoop magazine. Not sure if they are even still around. Anyway, back on topic. Ja will get the last laugh. Case closed.
Like this! Liked

Explore Kentucky Lake