If you are trying to register an account please use a valid email address. You may need to check your Junk/Spam/Social folder for the activation email.

Ja Morant - The Truth

This forum is for the discussion of the men's basketball team.
bjhracer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Re: Ja Morant - The Truth

Post by bjhracer » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:06 pm

evvracerfan wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:47 pm
bjhracer wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:01 pm
runningracer wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:11 pm
As of now, the MVC is a one bid league, just like the OVC. If we were in the league, they still would be a one bid league. To get multiple bids, you have to have at least two top flight programs.
They do not have that this year.
Wrong. You only have to have 1 elite team to receive multiple bids. Just insurance when that team lays an egg in the tourney. Yes I believe this years Racer team would receive more consideration if we were playing in the MVC and layed an egg in the tourney. Only 1 team has to be good enough for at large consideration, the other is an automatic bid.

Being in the MVC probably wouldn't have any impact on our at-large status this year. Playing in the OVC this year, we will have zero Quadrant 1 wins. If we were in the MVC this year we would have - wait for it - zero Quadrant 1 wins. The top 2 teams in the OVC are both rated higher than the MVC's top ranked program (Loyola at #98 +/-). Road wins vs. top 75 programs are considered Quadrant 1 wins. Our only chance for Quad 1 wins this year was our 2 losses at Auburn and Alabama. The Quadrant system is the latest version of the power conferences' "screw the mid-major" scheme.

I still want to see us move to the MVC, but any dreams of regular At Large bids for MVC teams is going to remain wishful thinking. The reason to change is the boost it would give recruiting, the exposure of our program to new geographic areas with larger populations (St. Louis, Peoria, Chicago, etc.), and the challenge of playing our peers instead of UT Martin and SIUE. Any at-large bids the MVC gets in the future are going to be "perfect storm" once a decade situations for the most part, unless one of the existing programs dramatically improves it's current profile.
I think the SOS of being in a top 10 conference would get us high enough in ranking/ NET ratings to get us considered.
Like this! Liked
"I hate losing, I hate losing more than I love winning." B.J. Jenkins

A_1985_grad
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by A_1985_grad » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:10 pm

evvracerfan wrote:
Any at-large bids the MVC gets in the future are going to be "perfect storm" once a decade situations for the most part, unless one of the existing programs dramatically improves it's current profile.
I don't know if that's so, but I'd take "once a decade" chance in a heartbeat over the never that is the OVC.
Like this! Liked

evvracerfan
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by evvracerfan » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:20 pm

bjhracer wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:06 pm
evvracerfan wrote:
bjhracer wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:01 pm

Wrong. You only have to have 1 elite team to receive multiple bids. Just insurance when that team lays an egg in the tourney. Yes I believe this years Racer team would receive more consideration if we were playing in the MVC and layed an egg in the tourney. Only 1 team has to be good enough for at large consideration, the other is an automatic bid.

Being in the MVC probably wouldn't have any impact on our at-large status this year. Playing in the OVC this year, we will have zero Quadrant 1 wins. If we were in the MVC this year we would have - wait for it - zero Quadrant 1 wins. The top 2 teams in the OVC are both rated higher than the MVC's top ranked program (Loyola at #98 +/-). Road wins vs. top 75 programs are considered Quadrant 1 wins. Our only chance for Quad 1 wins this year was our 2 losses at Auburn and Alabama. The Quadrant system is the latest version of the power conferences' "screw the mid-major" scheme.

I still want to see us move to the MVC, but any dreams of regular At Large bids for MVC teams is going to remain wishful thinking. The reason to change is the boost it would give recruiting, the exposure of our program to new geographic areas with larger populations (St. Louis, Peoria, Chicago, etc.), and the challenge of playing our peers instead of UT Martin and SIUE. Any at-large bids the MVC gets in the future are going to be "perfect storm" once a decade situations for the most part, unless one of the existing programs dramatically improves it's current profile.
I think the SOS of being in a top 10 conference would get us high enough in ranking/ NET ratings to get us considered.
LOL - I don't think the IVY League is giving Murray State a bid any time soon (they're the 10th ranked conference at this point). I'm guessing you haven't checked conference rankings this year. The MVC has been consistently ranked between 13 and 15 this season. Virtually no one has them in the top 10. They may get back to that point, but it won't be this year.
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:40 pm

Like this! Liked

ThaiRacer96
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by ThaiRacer96 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:16 pm

https://hoopshype.com/2019/01/22/nba-mo ... prospects/
Like this! Liked
Follow my Twitter: @ThaiRacer96

JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by JoeD » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:40 pm

Dan T wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:59 pm
JoeD wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:57 pm
Gotcha.

That statement was about the current method of FCS programs funding their program and a couple others with FBS buy games.
I know schools like MSU play money games, but I can't imagine they even come close to paying for their programs. Look at the cost of the stadium alone, a stadium which is rarely used for any
other revenue producing activities. What is the coaching staff's annual salary cost just by itself?
Cost of the stadium doesn’t get paid for by football, but by the university as it’s a venue for track meets, band competitions, and concerts.

Football pays for itself with one pay game, the second makes money.
Like this! Liked
Im old enough to remember when being "politically correct" was understood to mean "not being a complete, racist, xenophobic a-hole". Good times...

Dan T
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by Dan T » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:57 pm

JoeD wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:40 pm
Dan T wrote:
JoeD wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:57 pm
Gotcha.

That statement was about the current method of FCS programs funding their program and a couple others with FBS buy games.
I know schools like MSU play money games, but I can't imagine they even come close to paying for their programs. Look at the cost of the stadium alone, a stadium which is rarely used for any
other revenue producing activities. What is the coaching staff's annual salary cost just by itself?
Cost of the stadium doesn’t get paid for by football, but by the university as it’s a venue for track meets, band competitions, and concerts.

I don't think that's even close to being true. The coaching staff alone pulls down hundreds of thousands of dollars each year. How much has been spent on new turf since 1974? Divide that by 40 and you have a large annual expense. They would never have even built the stadium if football wasn't there. It's a huge expense, just to maintain. How much is spent on trainers and medical personnel? How much has been spent funding sports for women simply to comply with the requirements to even out scholarships that used to be lopsided because of football? Before I would even remotely believe football pays for itself, I'd have to see an unbiased accounting of all revenue and expenses.
Like this! Liked

MICHIANA RACER
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by MICHIANA RACER » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:31 am

Someone after the season will do a financial analysis of the free publicity for this university generated by this Basketball season with JA and it will exceed the entire athletic budget. Too bad that is soft money and not actually hard cash in the Bank. LOL
Like this! Liked

JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by JoeD » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:17 am

Dan T wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:57 pm
JoeD wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:40 pm
Dan T wrote:

I don't think that's even close to being true. The coaching staff alone pulls down hundreds of thousands of dollars each year. How much has been spent on new turf since 1974? Divide that by 40 and you have a large annual expense. They would never have even built the stadium if football wasn't there. It's a huge expense, just to maintain. How much is spent on trainers and medical personnel? How much has been spent funding sports for women simply to comply with the requirements to even out scholarships that used to be lopsided because of football? Before I would even remotely believe football pays for itself, I'd have to see an unbiased accounting of all revenue and expenses.
The university does pay for the stadium and it’s upkeep. Football coaches don’t make nearly as much as you think. Trainers and medical personnel are paid by multiple sports. One game will pay $550,000. But I can appreciate your opinion.
Like this! Liked
Im old enough to remember when being "politically correct" was understood to mean "not being a complete, racist, xenophobic a-hole". Good times...

JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by JoeD » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:40 am

https://t.co/mDjI7dvFaU?amp=1

Sports Illustrated story on Ja.
Like this! Liked

Kentucky Lake
TRN Recruit
TRN Recruit

Post by Kentucky Lake » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:05 am

JoeD wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:40 am
https://t.co/mDjI7dvFaU?amp=1

Sports Illustrated story on Ja.
A great read. Thanks for sharing Joe :clap:
Like this! Liked
"This is Murray State. Regardless of who we have I don’t see how you could pick us eighth. It’s disrespectful to us. We should never be picked worse than third. I don’t care who we have." - Shawn Witherspoon, 9-19-06

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:27 am

I heard through a former AD employee who shall remain nameless approximately what football costs the university. I was told the budget is only around $850K and that includes salaries for coaches. The NCAA gives us $100K I believe just for playing D1. So that’s $750K it costs the university before $$ games are played. Joe is correct, the stadium costs aren’t charged to the football budget, it’s part of grounds. This info came from a person who 100% would know. :wink:
Like this! Liked

JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by JoeD » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:05 am

smidge34 wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:27 am
I heard through a former AD employee who shall remain nameless approximately what football costs the university. I was told the budget is only around $850K and that includes salaries for coaches. The NCAA gives us $100K I believe just for playing D1. So that’s $750K it costs the university before $$ games are played. Joe is correct, the stadium costs aren’t charged to the football budget, it’s part of grounds. This info came from a person who 100% would know. :wink:
One game at $550k takes that number down to $200k in cost. A second game anywhere near that price puts the program into the black.
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:10 am

Yes that is correct.
Like this! Liked

JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by JoeD » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:23 am

Another great article. This one gives a glimpse into what is special about Ja. (its not his leaping ability)

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... -aau-team/
Like this! Liked

SwedeDRC
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by SwedeDRC » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:40 am

Really nice article. So proud of what Ja is accomplishing and our school....The CBS sources clearly are the NBA scouts(since they havent seen him play not having broadcast any of our games)

Makes me wonder about mr. rogers remarks about Ja not to mention his attitude.
Then there is, of course, the Nashville paper article..Yeah he is really just not that much to these informed minds..

One party is wrong..I will go with the CBS view..

Go Racers...Go Ja!... :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:46 am

Like this! Liked

Racer2112
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by Racer2112 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:57 am

smidge34 wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:46 am
I understand that Stark wasn't drafted and that's why his name gets left out of these type headlines, but damn it he deserves to be mentioned as a part of PGU.
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:11 am

A couple of us pointed that error out to Mr. Greenberg.
Like this! Liked

75Fan
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by 75Fan » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:37 am

What'd he say?
Like this! Liked

6 ETHICS OF LIFE

1. BEFORE YOU PRAY..........BELIEVE.
2. BEFORE YOU SPEAK.......LISTEN.
3. BEFORE YOU SPEND......EARN.