If you are trying to register an account please use a valid email address. You may need to check your Junk/Spam/Social folder for the activation email.

Ja Morant - The Truth

This forum is for the discussion of the men's basketball team.
JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Re: Ja Morant - The Truth

Post by JoeD » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:14 pm

The problem for the OVC is this- you need to cut four schools, not two. How you replace them is so important that you could possibly lose outbids in some sports, or something similar. In the end, you have to figure out what your focus is. Right now, the conference has no clue what it wants to be, and there isn't enough money anywhere to be spending it on every sport. Thats just the facts.

For many Murray St fans, the focus should be basketball. But, it doesn't offer easy money like football does.

Not an easy situation.

Personally, I am for a move. The conference has no direction or leadership and there are enough that are okay with the status quo that it won't change.
Like this! Liked
Im old enough to remember when being "politically correct" was understood to mean "not being a complete, racist, xenophobic a-hole". Good times...

Blue N Gold
TRN Benchwarmer
TRN Benchwarmer

Post by Blue N Gold » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:43 pm

I'm probably one of the few on this board against the move. We're in the middle of millions of $ in budget shortfall and our current enrollment is around what it was close to 15-20 years ago. The MVC this year is no closer to a 2 bid conference than the OVC is and there's no way we can afford the increased costs the move would bring. Someone on Twitter said it best the other night - I'm paraphrasing - but something along the lines of "Following the Racers on road trips is fun but how many of us can go to Drake or Northern Iowa on a Thursday night?"
Like this! Liked

SwedeDRC
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by SwedeDRC » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:22 pm

Oh Joe, The ovc is what it is. There are no plans, or even dreams, for any realistic improvement or change. Beth and her more special than your school conference members from Tenn know there is nothing that is going to change that.
It will never be more than a one bid ncaa tournament league.
The power five will stop that pipe dream in its tracks. (This year will be a good test no matter who wins the ovc tournament. I would love to be proven wrong) Beth knows and accepts this. She has a great gig! No real pressure to improve and her tenn. mafia friends protect her. She gets a big salary too!

Our charge is to accept the reality or leave. Our dilemma is where on earth could we go and how can we get there.

I continue to believe our romance with the mvc was stopped by the mvc league members not seeing any reason to welcome a top tier basketball program. That isnt going to change until another mvc team bolts and they get desperate to remain relevant and in danger of becoming the ovc of the midwest.
Like this! Liked

JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by JoeD » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:30 pm

Blue N Gold wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:43 pm
I'm probably one of the few on this board against the move. We're in the middle of millions of $ in budget shortfall and our current enrollment is around what it was close to 15-20 years ago. The MVC this year is no closer to a 2 bid conference than the OVC is and there's no way we can afford the increased costs the move would bring. Someone on Twitter said it best the other night - I'm paraphrasing - but something along the lines of "Following the Racers on road trips is fun but how many of us can go to Drake or Northern Iowa on a Thursday night?"
How many go to Morehead on Thursday?

Would Drake draw more than EIU? Would a game vs Indiana State draw more than SIUE?

It would cost more. It would also draw more. And frankly, we wouldn't be anchored to a sinking ship
Like this! Liked
Im old enough to remember when being "politically correct" was understood to mean "not being a complete, racist, xenophobic a-hole". Good times...

JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by JoeD » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:46 pm

I would also add that its too easy to only look at this year in the MVC. They had a team in the final four last year. The OVC never has (one vacated).

I would bet on the Indiana State's, Bradley's and Drake's of the world getting nationally relevant far sooner than I would the Martin's, the Edwardsville's, and the SEMOs.
Like this! Liked

bjhracer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by bjhracer » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:48 pm

I think we would have just as many road games to attend. Just as many people would go to Evansville and SIU that go to Peay and Martin. Also we wouldn’t be playing in a high school gym. Plus we could always schedule peay in non conference. Not a loss at all. Plus if we played in MVC this year they would be a 2 bid conference and our hopes of making the tourney wouldn’t hinge on 2 wins in Evansville.
Like this! Liked
"I hate losing, I hate losing more than I love winning." B.J. Jenkins

JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by JoeD » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:50 pm

Reminds me of a soccer quote-

"Its the Group of Death because we are in it."
Like this! Liked

racerlover
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by racerlover » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:54 pm

What bothers me the most is that most of the OVC schools don't give a damn. Look at the SI pic of Ja and the famous dunk at UTM. Look at the scoreboard in the pic. It reminds me of the one from Racer Arena. Junk. The facilities are junk. Besides us, which OVC schools have a decent arena? SEMO? Peay? No vision of improving anything.

I understand the travel expenses. I have no clue, besides private donations and higher ticket prices, could offset those costs. Maybe use the football team and play three money games per year lol. I'm kidding. Sorta. BTW, the travel time from Murray to Northern Iowa vs Murray to Jacksonville Alabama is two hours I believe. We'd HAVE to fly on that swing. Other than those schools, I don't see a huge difference. As for our fans, some don't mind road trips, but most fans will only go to Martin, Nashville, Clarksville and Cape. Instead, we'd go to Carbondale, Evansville and Terre Haute. Honestly, I'd rather drive further to a larger city for us to play a better team, in a better arena, in front of more than 500 people.
Like this! Liked

runningracer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by runningracer » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:11 pm

As of now, the MVC is a one bid league, just like the OVC. If we were in the league, they still would be a one bid league. To get multiple bids, you have to have at least two top flight programs.
They do not have that this year.
Like this! Liked

JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by JoeD » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:14 pm

Maybe not this year. But last year they had a team in the Final Four. Can you name a team in the OVC who you could honestly see in the Final Four?
Like this! Liked

speck
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by speck » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:19 pm

Murray State Racers. Why not
Like this! Liked

MICHIANA RACER
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by MICHIANA RACER » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:34 pm

I currently live in Terre Haute, so of course I’m in the move to MVC bandwagon. The Hulman Arena for IN ST is currently undergoing a multi-million dollar renovation and will be a great venue for visiting fans.

On a side note, Indiana State celebrated the 40th Anniversary of IN ST / Larry Bird’s Runner-up National Championship this past weekend.

:lets: :goracers:
Like this! Liked

bjhracer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by bjhracer » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:01 pm

runningracer wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:11 pm
As of now, the MVC is a one bid league, just like the OVC. If we were in the league, they still would be a one bid league. To get multiple bids, you have to have at least two top flight programs.
Wrong. You only have to have 1 elite team to receive multiple bids. Just insurance when that team lays an egg in the tourney. Yes I believe this years Racer team would receive more consideration if we were playing in the MVC and layed an egg in the tourney. Only 1 team has to be good enough for at large consideration, the other is an automatic bid.
Like this! Liked
"I hate losing, I hate losing more than I love winning." B.J. Jenkins

evvracerfan
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by evvracerfan » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:47 pm

bjhracer wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:01 pm
runningracer wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:11 pm
Wrong. You only have to have 1 elite team to receive multiple bids. Just insurance when that team lays an egg in the tourney. Yes I believe this years Racer team would receive more consideration if we were playing in the MVC and layed an egg in the tourney. Only 1 team has to be good enough for at large consideration, the other is an automatic bid.

Being in the MVC probably wouldn't have any impact on our at-large status this year. Playing in the OVC this year, we will have zero Quadrant 1 wins. If we were in the MVC this year we would have - wait for it - zero Quadrant 1 wins. The top 2 teams in the OVC are both rated higher than the MVC's top ranked program (Loyola at #98 +/-). Road wins vs. top 75 programs are considered Quadrant 1 wins. Our only chance for Quad 1 wins this year was our 2 losses at Auburn and Alabama. The Quadrant system is the latest version of the power conferences' "screw the mid-major" scheme.

I still want to see us move to the MVC, but any dreams of regular At Large bids for MVC teams is going to remain wishful thinking. The reason to change is the boost it would give recruiting, the exposure of our program to new geographic areas with larger populations (St. Louis, Peoria, Chicago, etc.), and the challenge of playing our peers instead of UT Martin and SIUE. Any at-large bids the MVC gets in the future are going to be "perfect storm" once a decade situations for the most part, unless one of the existing programs dramatically improves it's current profile.
Like this! Liked

evvracerfan
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by evvracerfan » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:51 pm

MICHIANA RACER wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:34 pm
I currently live in Terre Haute, so of course I’m in the move to MVC bandwagon. The Hulman Arena for IN ST is currently undergoing a multi-million dollar renovation and will be a great venue for visiting fans.

On a side note, Indiana State celebrated the 40th Anniversary of IN ST / Larry Bird’s Runner-up National Championship this past weekend.

:lets: :goracers:
I'm with you - living in Evansville we would get the Racers in my home town every year, and road trips to SIU and Indiana State are easy even on weeknights. Illinois State and Bradley are manageable drives for Saturday game as well. As much as I love having the OVC at the Ford Center, it would be amazing to see a conference tourney with several other programs that have fan bases as energized as ours. I'm tired of being a good mid major program in a low major conference (that has a Division 2 or 3 leadership).
Like this! Liked

Dan T
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by Dan T » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:06 pm

JoeD wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:14 pm

For many Murray St fans, the focus should be basketball. But, it doesn't offer easy money like football does.
I'm interested in your meaning in that statement.
Like this! Liked

JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by JoeD » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:18 pm

I think a majority of Racer fans would say that we are a Basketball school. Am I incorrect in my assessment?
Like this! Liked

Dan T
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by Dan T » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:34 pm

JoeD wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:18 pm
I think a majority of Racer fans would say that we are a Basketball school. Am I incorrect in my assessment?
Well, that was actually two statements, but it read like one. The other part about easy money.
Like this! Liked

JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by JoeD » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:57 pm

Gotcha.

That statement was about the current method of FCS programs funding their program and a couple others with FBS buy games.
Like this! Liked

Dan T
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by Dan T » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:59 pm

JoeD wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:57 pm
Gotcha.

That statement was about the current method of FCS programs funding their program and a couple others with FBS buy games.
I know schools like MSU play money games, but I can't imagine they even come close to paying for their programs. Look at the cost of the stadium alone, a stadium which is rarely used for any
other revenue producing activities. What is the coaching staff's annual salary cost just by itself?
Like this! Liked

Explore Kentucky Lake