If you are trying to register an account please use a valid email address. You may need to check your Junk/Spam/Social folder for the activation email.

Around the OVC

This forum is for the discussion of the men's basketball team.
Dan T
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Re: Around the OVC

Post by Dan T » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:40 pm

Racerofwesttenn2 wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:28 pm
I come from west tenn. Can't wait for the Martin game. I wonder if those hillbillies will pull their end zone seats out? Or have a debit card machine this time.
I'm smuggling in a two liter. Drinks are on me!
Like this! Liked

RacerPreacher
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by RacerPreacher » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:37 pm

Our family drives in from all over west Kentucky to come to every Racer Game. We are all Murray grads and love our Racers. Blessed to live close enough to make the trip even on week nights. Looking forward to seeing the BANK packed the rest of the season.
Like this! Liked
“I hate to lose more than I love to win.”

speck
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by speck » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:47 pm

Racerofwesttenn2 wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:28 pm
I come from west tenn. Can't wait for the Martin game. I wonder if those hillbillies will pull their end zone seats out? Or have a debit card machine this time.
Always a lot of excitement down there.
Like this! Liked

apsufan82
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by apsufan82 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:24 am

smidge34 wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:41 pm
The Austin Peay to Clarksville relationship just isn’t what Murray State to Murray is and that’s a shame.
Couldn't agree more. I wish I knew what it was. It's easy to put the blame on the Leaf Chronicle for not covering the way we'd like them too but at some point, you have to put a lot of it on the community. I've always looked at the OVC Championship game a few years ago when we made that memorable run. There was hardly anyone there Wednesday or Thursday, a couple hundred more Friday and then Saturday, we pretty much filled the entire lower portion of the Muni with the exception of Martin's section behind their bench. I saw people at that game I haven't seen in YEARS (and I let them know it too). People around here will take notice when they make it that far. Now I think if you swap Murray with Austin Peay and they have that many conference championships and 20+ wins repeatedly, then I think you'd see a different Dunn Center each night. But even so, as big as Clarksville is, there's no reason we shouldn't have 5k per game.
Like this! Liked
Follow me on twitter @cmathews82.

JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by JoeD » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:28 am

Clarksville has grown a lot in the past 20 years. Do any of the new people coming to town connect with peay?
Like this! Liked
Im old enough to remember when being "politically correct" was understood to mean "not being a complete, racist, xenophobic a-hole". Good times...

speck
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by speck » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:05 am

apsufan82 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:24 am
smidge34 wrote:
The Austin Peay to Clarksville relationship just isn’t what Murray State to Murray is and that’s a shame.
Couldn't agree more. I wish I knew what it was. It's easy to put the blame on the Leaf Chronicle for not covering the way we'd like them too but at some point, you have to put a lot of it on the community. I've always looked at the OVC Championship game a few years ago when we made that memorable run. There was hardly anyone there Wednesday or Thursday, a couple hundred more Friday and then Saturday, we pretty much filled the entire lower portion of the Muni with the exception of Martin's section behind their bench. I saw people at that game I haven't seen in YEARS (and I let them know it too). People around here will take notice when they make it that far. Now I think if you swap Murray with Austin Peay and they have that many conference championships and 20+ wins repeatedly, then I think you'd see a different Dunn Center each night. But even so, as big as Clarksville is, there's no reason we shouldn't have 5k per game.
Yeah we got people in my neck of the woods going to the games this year that have never been to a Racer game. Winning and having a good team sure makes a difference.

w
Like this! Liked

apsufan82
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by apsufan82 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:19 am

JoeD wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:28 am
Clarksville has grown a lot in the past 20 years. Do any of the new people coming to town connect with peay?
Not really cause a majority of those people are military. Probably won't be here very long anyways.
Like this! Liked

apsufan82
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by apsufan82 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:22 am

The thing that annoys me to no end are the people that used to come ALL the time and then quit coming until Coach Loos was gone. 1) that's stupid because he was the AD also and the president at the time was not going to fire him even if they went winless for two years straight. It wasn't going to happen as much as people wanted it. 2) Loos is gone. Where you at? :shrug:
Like this! Liked

RacerSurveyor
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by RacerSurveyor » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:31 pm

apsufan82 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:19 am
JoeD wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:28 am
Not really cause a majority of those people are military. Probably won't be here very long anyways.
Unfortunately, I have to agree to that statement. I was too distracted about being pushed out of a perfectly working Blackhawk than some school called "Peay".

Out of additional embarrassment :huh:, I didn't know who Wilma Rudolph or Austin Peay and their contribution to the region's history until many years later when I started attending Murray State...
Like this! Liked
Murray State is the OVC...
When we leave for greener pastures :salute: , rename the damn conference to TVC #Reloaded #PGU

runningracer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by runningracer » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:18 pm

Speaking of Loos, any word on him, or his granddaughter. Hadn't heard in awhile, and hope everything is good.
Like this! Liked

Racerofwesttenn2
TRN Recruit
TRN Recruit

Post by Racerofwesttenn2 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:51 pm

We ain't got no machine to take money on. Pull our end zone bleachers out for our biggest game of the season makes no sense to us. We hillbillies. Says ut Martin athletic department
Like this! Liked
Who's your buddy?

apsufan82
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by apsufan82 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:42 am

runningracer wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:18 pm
Speaking of Loos, any word on him, or his granddaughter. Hadn't heard in awhile, and hope everything is good.
He's doing pretty good and is usually found at the Dunn Center at every home game unless his grandson is playing then he's there.

Last I heard of Rhyan, she was progressing and doing better. Haven't heard much else about her.
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:02 am

Tonight’s lineup.

Like this! Liked

75Fan
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by 75Fan » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:42 pm

Tn st puts 5 in double digits and tajes down EKU 82-81!
Like this! Liked

6 ETHICS OF LIFE

1. BEFORE YOU PRAY..........BELIEVE.
2. BEFORE YOU SPEAK.......LISTEN.
3. BEFORE YOU SPEND......EARN.
4. BEFORE YOU WRITE.......THINK.
5. BEFORE YOU QUIT...........TRY.
6. BEFORE YOU DIE.............LIVE.

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:57 pm

Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:58 pm

75Fan wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:42 pm
Tn st puts 5 in double digits and tajes down EKU 82-81!
The stat o’ the night in that game was 17 of 33, as in EKU left 16 points at the charity stripe. :doh:
Like this! Liked

Ghughes
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by Ghughes » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:42 am

apsufan82 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:24 am
smidge34 wrote:
I'm sure the transient nature of the military population there is one factor, perhaps the biggest, in
the Governor's lack of local following. But still, there should be a core of long-time supporters to boost the program. Perhaps they need a good marketing person in athletics department to help. I was a student at Murray during the Lake Kelly era (1st time around), and remember going to that small gym on campus a couple of times. Boy it was close, crammed and hot. And the fans were ready for Murray. This was during Jimmy Young's time at Murray, and those fans gave him what for every he got the ball. They couldn't get over him slipping out of their grasp. To some, he was a traitor I suppose. Years later, I attended the first Peay-Murray game in the Dunn Center, and though the crowd was good, it just did not seem like the same atmosphere as in the old gym. Interesting note, during the tornado incident at AP last year, I was talking to an old timer Governor fan and asked him if the old gym was still in use. He told me the National Guard is in that building now. We reminisced about the good old days in the smaller gyms for a couple of minutes. Well, the good old days were great. But what a team we have in the Racers this year!
Like this! Liked

apsufan82
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by apsufan82 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:53 am

I don't think Marketing is a problem because honestly, I think they've done pretty good. People have gotten behind the football team, and while that is good, they need to get behind the basketball team(s) as well. Because where I stand, we have a damn good basketball team. I cannot wait for the matchup's with Murray, Belmont and Jax. But to get back to the point of discussion, I think it comes down to the community. If you go to places like WalMart, Academy, Dicks, just about any place similar to that all have Austin Peay gear. There's commercials on tv, radio, etc. The Peay have done their part. It's time for the community to do theirs.
Like this! Liked

wallaceracer
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by wallaceracer » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:27 am

I don't think it has anything to do with the product Peay is putting on the floor. If it did, the Dunn Center would be packed imo. I think it's a bigger societal problem. People are more and more apathetic about everything, and most are content just sitting at home. The days of people in Clarksville getting out to support anything are gone. I've played the clubs in Clarksville for years, and now the crowds are half of what they were even 5 years ago. I think you'd probably find that in a lot of places across the country. It's just not as noticeable in Murray, but if you had this year's team in the 70s or 80s, and a place as big as The Bank, we would have already seen sellouts and it would be the hottest ticket it town.
Like this! Liked

apsufan82
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by apsufan82 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:11 pm

apsufan82 wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:39 pm
runner67 wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:32 am
The ticket office has said their phones have been ringing off the hook this morning. They will be pulling out the upper level end zone seats after the boat show. Expecting a sellout for the Belmont game.
I'm planning on getting our tix for the Peay game this week. Wish we had this problem at the Peay :roll:
Just got mine for the Peay game. Not taking my chances on waiting for player tix. I'll be in 103 so I feel sorry for whoever is near me lol.
Like this! Liked

Explore Kentucky Lake