If you are trying to register an account please use a valid email address. You may need to check your Junk/Spam/Social folder for the activation email.

RACERS vs Eastern Kentucky Game Thread

This forum is for the discussion of the men's basketball team.
smidge34
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Re: RACERS vs Eastern Kentucky Game Thread

Post by smidge34 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:44 pm

SIU game 2003 Cronin’s first season when we came back from 18-20 down in 2nd half to beat Matt Painter was pretty freaking loud.
Like this! Liked

RacerPreacher
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by RacerPreacher » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:23 pm

smidge34 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:44 pm
SIU game 2003 Cronin’s first season when we came back from 18-20 down in 2nd half to beat Matt Painter was pretty freaking loud.
I was in grad school up in Louisville and didn't see much Racer Basketball in 2003. I love it when we can get everybody on their feet cheering at once. Reminds me of the good ol days back in Racer Arena. Everybody sitting on top of each other and screaming at the top of their lungs close enough to touch the players on the court.
Like this! Liked
“I hate to lose more than I love to win.”

colonelblitz
TRN Benchwarmer
TRN Benchwarmer

Post by colonelblitz » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:15 pm

It was loud.. Espn plus watcher here.. Outside of the loss.. It was a barn burner.. Looking forward to seeing you at McBrayer..
Like this! Liked
western sucks!!

HoptownRacer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by HoptownRacer » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:48 pm

Is this true? From wiki:
The CFSB Center is one of the loudest arenas in college basketball. During the February 18, 2012 game between the Racers and the Saint Mary's Gaels, peak noise levels of 138 dBA were measured in the CFSB Center. This is the highest documented noise level ever recorded at an indoor basketball arena.
Like this! Liked

02Racer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by 02Racer » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:49 pm

HoptownRacer wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:48 pm
Is this true? From wiki:
The CFSB Center is one of the loudest arenas in college basketball. During the February 18, 2012 game between the Racers and the Saint Mary's Gaels, peak noise levels of 138 dBA were measured in the CFSB Center. This is the highest documented noise level ever recorded at an indoor basketball arena.
That game was deafeningly loud.
Like this! Liked

Dan T
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by Dan T » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:04 pm

HoptownRacer wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:48 pm
Is this true? From wiki:
I have no proof, but I'll swear that it is not true. Heck, Racer Arena was waaaaaay louder than the St.Mary's game RSEC on a routine basis.
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by smidge34 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:08 pm

BUT I’m guessing nobody ever measured RI with a decibel meter. It would sometimes approach too much if that’s possible lol.
Like this! Liked

JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by JoeD » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:02 pm

That decibel measurement was part of a peer-reviewed article in a professional journal.
Like this! Liked
Im old enough to remember when being "politically correct" was understood to mean "not being a complete, racist, xenophobic a-hole". Good times...

racerlover
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by racerlover » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:30 pm

I try to explain Racer Arena to my 11 year old son. He can't comprehend it. I remember during OVC games that it would be so deafening that your ears would ring. It would be so hot that you looked forward to that 20 degree cold air after the game. The smokers wall at halftime. The real game programs in magazine form before the game. Sneaking in a side door that was always unlocked when I was really young and didn't have the cash. I'd give anything to experience that atmosphere again. Best memories.
Like this! Liked

Dan T
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by Dan T » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:22 pm

racerlover wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:30 pm
I try to explain Racer Arena to my 11 year old son. He can't comprehend it. I remember during OVC games that it would be so deafening that your ears would ring. It would be so hot that you looked forward to that 20 degree cold air after the game. The smokers wall at halftime. The real game programs in magazine form before the game. Sneaking in a side door that was always unlocked when I was really young and didn't have the cash. I'd give anything to experience that atmosphere again. Best memories.
I don't think younger people today can comprehend what the behavior of the students and the 20 somethings was like back then. They came to raise hell and they came in large numbers. The students could take up nearly half the arena and they didn't sit on their hands or stare at phones. I've seen teams call a time out because it was no longer possible for them to function at that noise level, then call another time out after one or two trips down the court for the same reason. What are you going to do? It's too loud to think about what you are trying to do on offense. All you can do is resist the temptation to go crawl under the visitor's bench and curl up into a ball. I've not seen anything even remotely like that in the RSEC. Of course, I didn't see anything like that in Racer Arena for a lot of years before they even moved. People just aren't the same.
Like this! Liked

HoptownRacer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by HoptownRacer » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:46 pm

I was at a game in Racer Arena back in the mid 80s against MTSU, I think we clinched the regular season championship that night and the "OVC" chants were so loud I couldn't hear my friends on either side of me when they were trying to tell me something.

We were standing right in the middle of the student section under the press box.
Like this! Liked

A_1985_grad
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by A_1985_grad » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:16 am

smidge34 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:08 pm
BUT I’m guessing nobody ever measured RI with a decibel meter. It would sometimes approach too much if that’s possible lol.
We actually had a large noise meter in Racer Arena for a time in the mid-1980s. At first someone in the pressbox was in charge of turning on each level of lights on the meter by their judgment of the noise level. (IIRC, it spelled out M-S-U, as each level of lights was illuminated.) Then later it was hooked up to actually electronically measure the noise, but that never seems to work right. It was taken down after about a year or two.
Like this! Liked

atlantaracer
TRN Benchwarmer
TRN Benchwarmer

Post by atlantaracer » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:58 pm

I was at the St Mary’s game - what fun! But the loudest I can recall was when we played Western when they were in the OVC at Racer Arena. It was a tight game throughout, but I think western led most of the game. In the closing seconds, I think it was Kenny “Cornbread” Hammonds that stuffed in a missed free throw that put the Racers on top.

As teams ran to the other end, both teams had players put their hands over their ears. The Racers defended one last stop, and we all celebrated. What great times!

There were many loud games at Racer Arena. The OVC chants were loudest I think when we beat Morehead in 1982-83 to clinch, which allowed us to host the 4 team OVC tournament in murray.

I thought we were headed to the dance that year, but Joe Jakubic and Akron ripped our hearts out in the semis. That was the most disappointing game I ever watched at Racer Arena.
Like this! Liked

murraygrad05
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by murraygrad05 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:17 pm

I wouldn't think the CFSB would be louder due to the acoustic tiles on the ceiling. I remember many games in Racer Arena though of deafening levels. With 5,000+ fans it was pure madness.

Racer Arena was loud period even if all you did was play a pick up game in there with a few people. Nothing but bricks and steel.
Like this! Liked

jmsu78
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by jmsu78 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:28 pm

Unfortunately I was never able to see at game at racer arena (didn’t come to school till the year RSEC opened). Would love to watch an old game. Does anyone have any video footage of a game. I did quick YouTube search and no such luck.
Like this! Liked
-oneeee minute, one minute left in the game!
Twitter: @jmsu78

runningracer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by runningracer » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:45 pm

if you stand about 100 feet from a jet engine, you will have an idea of what it was like. What a homecourt advantage! They used to have a decibel meter that hung over one end zone, and it went up to the level of an engine Your face would vibrate from the noise.

If the CFSB was full and everyone cheered, it would not be as loud, but it might be close. One difference is the height of the ceiling, and the dead area between seats. Racer arena had very little space as the aisle was tight, and not much space at the top. Another difference is many students were there, and usually cheered most of the game. Kind of like everyone did the last five minutes against EKU.

Many coaches that came in to play, swore that they would never come back. Memphis coach Larry Finch was one of them. The audience was so close that the coaches and fans could carry on a conversation. Western coach, Clem Haskins offered to come sit with one of the fans one night after he had ridden him most of the game. They had to have fans turn to the side sometimes on the press box side, to give the player enough room to throw the ball in, if he was large. When you sat on the front row, you were close enough to the game that it sometimes left a feeling that you were almost in it.

When Cal Luther was coaching, he would get upset with the team about something, or not like the way the game was going. He always wore either a sport, or dress coat. When he wanted the team to play harder, off would come the coat, he would usually throw it on the floor, and things got moving. This would result in the fans coming to their feet, and cheering, resulting in the opposing team not being able to communicate easily with each other. Quite an experience! The only arena I ever saw to compare it to was The Pit, in New Mexico. While the building was not as nice as the CFSB, it was a big improvement over what we previously had, when we played at Carr Health.
Like this! Liked

murraygrad05
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by murraygrad05 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:44 pm

I remember reading one time about when Ole Miss came to Murray. I cannot find the article again so to paraphrase their coach described it as hell. If I remember right he talked about flying in to Nashville and then having to take a 2 hour drive through the country only to find a building with rowdy people packed from floor to rafters and not being able to hear himself think.

I still like the idea of playing one of our longest rivals one game there a season as a throwback game, even though I know it will never get it done.
Like this! Liked

MICHIANA RACER
TRN Benchwarmer
TRN Benchwarmer

Post by MICHIANA RACER » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:50 pm

I attended Murray during the Martin & Mann era and what I remember was how difficult it was to find a seat and no matter where you sat it felt close to the floor action. Yes it was extremely loud and hot, but FUN! In contrast, my first game in the RSEC was top level for sold out Peay Game and I was disappointed in how far back those seats were from the floor.

The loudest I ever heard Racer arena was not during a game, but when Night Ranger opened with their first song. I truly thought my ear drums had been ruptured. :shock:
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by smidge34 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:52 pm

There’s an interview out there somewhere where Bruce Weber talks about how crazy it was during his time with Gene Keady at Western. Wish I could find it. He called it the craziest environment he’d ever been in with the crowd right on top of the players. I remember him saying when they were winning or had a chance to the bus driver and managers would have the bus packed with engine running so they could haul it out of town ASAP lol.
Like this! Liked

speck
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by speck » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:29 pm

Don't forget the smoke, man those was the good ol days.
Like this! Liked

Explore Kentucky Lake