If you are trying to register an account please use a valid email address. You may need to check your Junk/Spam/Social folder for the activation email.

espn-ovc

This forum is for the discussion of the men's basketball team.
msuowns
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

espn-ovc

Post by msuowns » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:45 am

Like this! Liked
"Home, home again I like to be here when I can. When I come home cold and tired, it's good to warm my bones by the fire".

sparekracer
TRN Benchwarmer
TRN Benchwarmer

Re: espn-ovc

Post by sparekracer » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:07 am

Yea, not a big fan of this, unless something else comes out of this.

I used OVC Digital to watch a lot Racer basketball games. Now I'm going to have to pay $5/mo to do the same thing. Or is ESPN+ included if you have a cable (or DirecTV) subscription? I doubt it.

If this somehow makes the broadcasts better, I might be more on board with this (although I had no problems with the free OVC Digital). But I read an article from Belmont about this, it said that all of their previous sports events had been student produced and would continue to be so on ESPN+. Perhpas that was specific to just Belmont, but if it's OVC-wide, then what exactly are we paying for?
Like this! Liked

JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by JoeD » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:57 am

From what I’ve heard and read, it’s $80k in equipment, student produced. It doesn’t really help Murray State much, IMO. But it’s a big gift to Martin, EIU, Head...
Like this! Liked
Im old enough to remember when being "politically correct" was understood to mean "not being a complete, racist, xenophobic a-hole". Good times...

sparekracer
TRN Benchwarmer
TRN Benchwarmer

Post by sparekracer » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:09 pm

I hope it helps TSU or TTU. I can't remember which (or maybe it's both) they had some really dull announcers. And then they'd have someone chime in with "He's hit 1 of 2 free throws today for 50%". Top notch announcing there!

What was wrong with the OVC Digital setup they had set up?

I always thought that was strange that it was free, I figured it would eventually go to a paid model, so in that sense this move to ESPN+ doesn't completely shock me.

But it would seem to me, that if we're getting ESPN, then we should get ESPN announcers or at least a dedicated TV crew. Don't get me wrong, I love Neil and Kenny, but they are announcing it on the radio that just happens to be overlayed on video from OVC Digital.

I just don't really see how this is a step up from the old OVC Digital model. Now folks from across the country will have to pay to see a Murray State game, how does that help Murray State?
Like this! Liked

MarshallRacer
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by MarshallRacer » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:38 pm

I'd bet the conversation went some thing like this:

ESPN: We want to get the OVC on ESPN+ !

OVC: Thanks, we have a digital network already set up though. No thanks.

ESPN: OK, good luck getting your conference basketball tournament final broadcast elsewhere.

OVC: Well, we aren't exactly married to OVCDN ...
Like this! Liked
Enjoy every day because things change fast - Billy Kennedy October 2011

apsufan82
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by apsufan82 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:56 pm

I don't mind it. I watched a lot of games on ESPN3 on my firestick . Granted I'm now paying $5-$6 a month to do the same thing but as much as I watch, I'm alright with it.

I think we all knew at some point it was going to come down to this anyways IMO
Like this! Liked
Follow me on twitter @cmathews82.

sparekracer
TRN Benchwarmer
TRN Benchwarmer

Post by sparekracer » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:39 pm

Do they have an app for Roku? Or is it in the WatchESPN app? I assume there's a way to watch it on Roku.

One of the reason I went with Roku was the OVC Digital Channel on Roku, so I could watch the games on the big screen.

It doesn't necessarily surprise me that we're going to have to pay to watch them now. Doesn't mean I like it.

One of the things I was looking forward to with an MVC move was to have the games broadcast on ESPN3. The free one (with a cable subscription) that was actually ESPN branded and better quality. But I also see where The Valley went ESPN+ earlier this year. I suspect all ESPN3 content will go ESPN+ no reason for ESPN to offer something for free when they can squeeze out another $5/mo from you.
Like this! Liked

evvracerfan
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by evvracerfan » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:05 pm

sparekracer wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:09 pm
I hope it helps TSU or TTU. I can't remember which (or maybe it's both) they had some really dull announcers. And then they'd have someone chime in with "He's hit 1 of 2 free throws today for 50%". Top notch announcing there!

What was wrong with the OVC Digital setup they had set up?

I always thought that was strange that it was free, I figured it would eventually go to a paid model, so in that sense this move to ESPN+ doesn't completely shock me.

But it would seem to me, that if we're getting ESPN, then we should get ESPN announcers or at least a dedicated TV crew. Don't get me wrong, I love Neil and Kenny, but they are announcing it on the radio that just happens to be overlayed on video from OVC Digital.

I just don't really see how this is a step up from the old OVC Digital model. Now folks from across the country will have to pay to see a Murray State game, how does that help Murray State?
We’re going to get the same announcers, broadcast feed and picture quality that we’ve always received on OVC digital would be my guess. Just another cash grab by a network struggling to stay afloat financially IMO. They’re not looking to invest anything these days - they’re in head cutting mode.
Like this! Liked

NKYRacer
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by NKYRacer » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:40 am

It will mean an equipment upgrade for Murray and a welcome one too. Should see an improvement in video quality for most of the OVC schools.
Like this! Liked

HoptownRacer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by HoptownRacer » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:31 pm

So will I be able to watch from my PC or no?
Like this! Liked

jayinbama
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by jayinbama » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:53 pm

As always nickel and dime to death. So frustrating.
Like this! Liked

NKYRacer
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by NKYRacer » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:44 pm

HoptownRacer wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:31 pm
So will I be able to watch from my PC or no?
Yes PC
Like this! Liked

jayinbama
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by jayinbama » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:56 pm

I know many who had issues with the ESPN plus feed tonight, constantly lagging. What a joke this is.
Like this! Liked

JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by JoeD » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:57 pm

...but the equipment
Like this! Liked
Im old enough to remember when being "politically correct" was understood to mean "not being a complete, racist, xenophobic a-hole". Good times...

smidge34
TRN GOAT
TRN GOAT

Post by smidge34 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:08 pm

Is this new ESPN stuff what made the football game seem extra crazy long tonight? I thought the NCAA was supposed to emphasize speeding up the game a couple years ago?
Like this! Liked

runningracer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by runningracer » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:04 am

Someone who got the feed, said it stopped to load so much, that it was like taking an hour and a half to watch 60 minutes.
Like this! Liked

NKYRacer
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by NKYRacer » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:31 am

It was hard for me to watch, but I had zero issues with the stream.
Like this! Liked

msuowns
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by msuowns » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:19 pm

Kentucky Lake wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:34 pm
From what I understand, ESPN+does not broadcast on a regular laptop or PC. It's only for Apple or Android based platforms, but it's also available on Chromecast and Amazon's Fire stick.

I bought a Chromecast today. They're only $30. I don't mind paying $5/month to watch the games. One admission ticket to one game anywhere in the conference is a lot more than that.

EDIT - so I signed up for ESPN+ and it is streaming on my PC afterall.
I joined espn plus last night. The MSU-Utm game lasted 2 minutes and the video failed. Called an hour later and cancelled
Like this! Liked
"Home, home again I like to be here when I can. When I come home cold and tired, it's good to warm my bones by the fire".

JoeD
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by JoeD » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:52 pm

But the equipment
Like this! Liked

wallaceracer
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by wallaceracer » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:12 pm

Just wanting to make sure I understand.. So, no OVC basketball games will be on OVC digital? All OVC basketball and football is now on ESPN+?
Like this! Liked

Explore Kentucky Lake