If you are trying to register an account please use a valid email address. You may need to check your Junk/Spam/Social folder for the activation email.

Les Taylor

This forum is for the discussion of the men's basketball team.

Moderator: syllable

JessieWilliams
TRN Recruit
TRN Recruit

Les Taylor

Post by JessieWilliams » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:33 pm

His jersey needs to be hanging from the rafters. Why is it not? May be the best ever to play here
Like this! Liked
Some people claim there is a woman to blame

Jimmy Buffett Racer Arena 1979

BigD21
TRN POY
TRN POY

Re: Les Taylor

Post by BigD21 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:01 pm

And Isaac Spencer I believe he’s the second leading scorer in school history
Like this! Liked
It's not easy being the best, but around here it's tradition.

Dan T
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by Dan T » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:02 am

I have been advocating the same thing for many years. I was walking around Racer Arena with Bennie Purcell one time and I asked him about the situation. He had no answer but was in total agreement. I'm also an advocate of retiring uniforms and keeping the number on the uniform in play for what I would hope is an obvious reason.
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by smidge34 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:05 am

Isn’t his number ALREADY retired?? Groan. This is why you only “retire” a number every once in a generation and damn sure not 4/5 of a team.
Last edited by smidge34 on Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Like this! Liked
:goracers:

RacerPop
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by RacerPop » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:15 am

Yes,the number 30 Jersey is hanging in the rafters.It has the wrong name on it IMO.
Like this! Liked

NKYRacer
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by NKYRacer » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:14 pm

smidge34 wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:05 am
Isn’t his number ALREADY retired?? Groan. This is why you only “retire” a number every once in a generation and damn sure not 4/5 of a team.
I know right??

For one, I'm guessing that the decision to not retire Taylor's number was made immediately upon his graduation, his resume was similar to Crittenden in that he put up remarkable numbers on mostly unremarkable teams, and with no titles :shrug:

I'm sure someone can confirm that it was decided that Brown's 5 was retired, the problem being that he didn't retire and just couldn't make it back to make it formal, but I could be wrong.

That was the Racers modus operandi up until 2001 when Fulks was retired. Fulks' playing only two years a Thoroughbred before leaving for the army didn't put up remarkable numbers (did lead the team both seasons and on a post season run) but ending up a NBA HOFer seemed like a good enough reason to break precedent. Reagan's number is retired for, well really non basketball reasons frankly.
Like this! Liked

Dan T
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by Dan T » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:21 pm

NKYRacer wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:14 pm
smidge34 wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:05 am
I know right??

For one, I'm guessing that the decision to not retire Taylor's number was made immediately upon his graduation, his resume was similar to Crittenden in that he put up remarkable numbers on mostly unremarkable teams, and with no titles :shrug:

I'm sure someone can confirm that it was decided that Brown's 5 was retired, the problem being that he didn't retire and just couldn't make it back to make it formal, but I could be wrong.

That was the Racers modus operandi up until 2001 when Fulks was retired. Fulks' playing only two years a Thoroughbred before leaving for the army didn't put up remarkable numbers (did lead the team both seasons and on a post season run) but ending up a NBA HOFer seemed like a good enough reason to break precedent. Reagan's number is retired for, well really non basketball reasons frankly.
Nothing unremarkable about the teams Taylor played on. His sophomore year they beat were ranked top 20 and split with Western when they had their best ever team, finishing 3rd in the NCAA. Those three years, the Racers did play 2nd fiddle to Western, but that was not an indictment of the team. Taylor broke his hand in either 74 or 75 and missed a long string of games, hurting the team's record.

I saw the Postman make an appearance in Racer Arena once. Nothing remarkable about that team. Wonder if his uniform was retired?
Like this! Liked

NKYRacer
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by NKYRacer » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:20 am

Point made and accepted about Taylor's first year (1971) was a real good team, they did beat a Top 10 Jim McDaniels led Western team, and were ranked for the 4 weeks after that before a late season slump doomed them. His missing 5(6) games in 72 did defiantly hurt that that seasons result as they were 3-3 during that span but were 5-6 afterwards. 73 was Fly Williams first season @ Peay and they couldn't beat the Govs.

My argument is that had they won a championship any one of those three seasons his 30 probably would have been retired. Had it been up to me he would have been, I mean three-time all OVC and POY twice should have warranted it. There may have been other factors, I have no idea on that.
Like this! Liked

Explore Kentucky Lake