If you are trying to register an account please use a valid email address. You may need to check your Junk/Spam/Social folder for the activation email.

Alan Ward

This forum is for the discussion of the men's basketball team.

Moderator: syllable

GooseRavensclaw
TRN Walk-On
TRN Walk-On

Re: Alan Ward

Post by GooseRavensclaw » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:50 pm

If it were up to me, I'd pick Ed Marlowe or Jeff Bidwell. Those guys really know their stuff.
Like this! Liked
You can't flock with me

sparky
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by sparky » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:53 am

First and foremost any candidate will have to have extensive experience and knowledge working with budgets.
That will probably eliminate many of the names mentioned.
Like this! Liked

Racer Insider Will
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by Racer Insider Will » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:50 pm

Ward introduced at ACU...

http://murraysports.net/0716181.htm
Like this! Liked
When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies? Perhaps to be too practical is madness. To surrender dreams — this too may be madness. Too much sanity may be madness — and maddest of all: to see life as it is, and not as it should be!

JessieWilliams
TRN Recruit
TRN Recruit

Post by JessieWilliams » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:34 pm

Not a big loss, I might throw my name in the pile
Like this! Liked
Some people claim there is a woman to blame

Jimmy Buffett Racer Arena 1979

racerwon
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by racerwon » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:20 am

Will be surprised if Davies doesn’t go with a safe, cheap internal hire. Not what we need to take the basketball program to next level in my opinion but given budget climate I’m afraid that’s what we will get. Hope Davies is next to go. Glad the board is finally starting to wake up and didn’t extend his contract.
Like this! Liked

fmftballmgr
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by fmftballmgr » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:59 pm

Well we need someone to make sure ALL sports are succeeding not just one. Football has been on the back burner way to long.

there is a reason Peay went back to scholarship football and commented the money for new facilities.
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by smidge34 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:09 pm

fmftballmgr wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:59 pm
Well we need someone to make sure ALL
there is a reason Peay went back to scholarship football and commented the money for new facilities.
Do tell. Not arguing one way or the other in their decision and frankly don’t care what they do, but I have to hear this argument/rationale.

PS I’m all for winning in football if we are gonna compete.
Like this! Liked
:goracers:

msuowns
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by msuowns » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:39 pm

racerwon wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:20 am
Will be surprised if Davies doesn’t go with a safe, cheap internal hire. Not what we need to take the basketball program to next level in my opinion but given budget climate I’m afraid that’s what we will get. Hope Davies is next to go. Glad the board is finally starting to wake up and didn’t extend his contract.
the reasonably high pay, benefits and big pensions for what a prof. does, is killing universities financially. basketball and football brings in money, all a prof does is take and hate on the coach's pay. What does the prez. do? He worth it?
Like this! Liked
"Home, home again I like to be here when I can. When I come home cold and tired, it's good to warm my bones by the fire".

smidge34
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by smidge34 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:51 pm

msuowns wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:39 pm
racerwon wrote:
the reasonably high pay, benefits and big pensions for what a prof. does, is killing universities financially. basketball and football brings in money, all a prof does is take and hate on the coach's pay. What does the prez. do? He worth it?
Lol c’mon owns I’m a pro-athletics guy too but this is an institution of higher learning. In fact, it’s a shame we place a higher premium and shower hundreds of millions of dollars on somebody simply because he can put a ball through a hoop, while running a large state university gets you less than half a million and then goofballs bitching about compensation packages for CEOs running major international corporations, while some major league bench warmer is a gazillionaire. Priorities are messed up in this country
Last edited by smidge34 on Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Like this! Liked

A_1985_grad
TRN Starting Lineup
TRN Starting Lineup

Post by A_1985_grad » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:55 pm

Trouble with FCS football is that if you're not "all in" then you're facing a 1-2 start (guarantee game loss, Div. II opponent win, non-conference FCS loss) before you ever hit conference play. And fan attention is already lost by then. Then even if you go 4-3 in the OVC, you have a mediocre 5-5 season that no one was interested in. And, as we all know, the Racers haven't been even that good in a while. Chris Hatcher brought in an exciting style but the games tended to be 55-48 losses in front of sparse crowds.

And if you ARE all in, you're probably taking funds away from men's basketball, and that's a losing hand at MSU. I don't care who the AD is, I don't see much change in the status quo.
Like this! Liked

runningracer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by runningracer » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:03 pm

I thought Alan did a good job. It is difficult when you have a governor that is supportive of only two schools, with the cuts that we have received, it is amazing how much we have been able to keep in our athletic budget. Sorry, but if you want to reach the next level there is a price to be paid. That means larger contributions, and higher seat prices. The season tickets at the RSEC are a bargain compared to most schools outside the OVC. If you want to remain at an OVC level, you continue as normal.
Last edited by runningracer on Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Like this! Liked

runningracer
TRN All-American
TRN All-American

Post by runningracer » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:16 pm

Don't see where replacing Davies gets us anywhere. He is a definite fan, and would like nothing more than to see both basketball and football do well. He has been dealt an uneven hand by the governor, and the legislature. Instead of running to another university, or an easier job, where he is well funded, he has chosen to stay. He has a tough task to balance both the athletic and academic side with limited funds. I congratulate him for finding a balance in a difficult time.
I would hate to think where we would be if Kayla Stroup, or Admiral Kurth were still at the helm.
Like this! Liked

fmftballmgr
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by fmftballmgr » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:25 pm

smidge34 wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:09 pm
fmftballmgr wrote:
Do tell. Not arguing one way or the other in their decision and frankly don’t care what they do, but I have to hear this argument/rationale.

They dropped down to non-scholarship for a while. I am guessing that they did not see any benefit from that financial I don't know I am just guessing and I am not going to look up enrollment numbers to see if they dropped during that time. But they did reinstate scholarships and they made the commitment to the program. How long they have success I don't know.
Yes their basketball program dipped but was it from lack of funds or a coach who stayed too long and was trying to do two jobs at once and basketball did not have his full attention. I guess we will see in the coming years.

As much as some of you don't want to admit it college basketball has moved down the pole in national media in 90 % of the places. During the non conference portion of the schedule it takes a back seat to college football and bowl games. Then during January it takes a back seat to recruiting,
it is only the main sport is when conference tourney and march madness start.

Since MSU basketball has had the full attention of the AD they have been out of the first round 2 times. AT this point they can remain there and do that on reputation alone as long as we stay in the OVC.
Like this! Liked

speck
TRN MVP
TRN MVP

Post by speck » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:09 pm

Backseat huh, wouln't be surprised that more fans watched volleyball last few years than fooball.
Like this! Liked

msuowns
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by msuowns » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:34 pm

smidge34 wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:51 pm
msuowns wrote:
racerwon wrote:
Lol c’mon owns I’m a pro-athletics guy too but this is an institution of higher learning. In fact, it’s a shame we place a higher premium and shower hundreds of millions of dollars on somebody simply because he can put a ball through a hoop, while running a large state university gets you less than half a million and then goofballs bitching about compensation packages for CEOs running major international corporations, while some major league bench warmer is a gazillionaire. Priorities are messed up in this country
Prof work is gravy and over compensated. Even x pres Dunn at siu was hired for 100k at siu Edward. To teach. The broke university system can't afford a 100k salary for a prof job
Like this! Liked
"Home, home again I like to be here when I can. When I come home cold and tired, it's good to warm my bones by the fire".

msuowns
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by msuowns » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:49 pm

smidge34 wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:51 pm
msuowns wrote:
racerwon wrote:
Also a majority of athletes in the pro's have a limited career. These profs can bleed the tax payers for 35 or 40 years. Most of what they teach in college can't even be used anyway.
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by smidge34 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:55 pm

fmftballmgr wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:25 pm
smidge34 wrote:
fmftballmgr wrote:

They dropped down to non-scholarship for a while. I am guessing that they did not see any benefit from that financial I don't know I am just guessing and I am not going to look up enrollment numbers to see if they dropped during that time. But they did reinstate scholarships and they made the commitment to the program. How long they have success I don't know.
Yes their basketball program dipped but was it from lack of funds or a coach who stayed too long and was trying to do two jobs at once and basketball did not have his full attention. I guess we will see in the coming years.

As much as some of you don't want to admit it college basketball has moved down the pole in national media in 90 % of the places. During the non conference portion of the schedule it takes a back seat to college football and bowl games. Then during January it takes a back seat to recruiting,

Since MSU basketball has had the full attention of the AD they have been out of the first round 2 times. AT this point they can remain there and do that on reputation alone as long as we stay in the OVC.
You’re confusing BCS and FCS. At no time that I’m aware of does D1 college basketball ever take a backseat to FCS football.
Like this! Liked

fmftballmgr
TRN POY
TRN POY

Post by fmftballmgr » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:30 pm

smidge34 wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:55 pm
fmftballmgr wrote:
smidge34 wrote:

You’re confusing BCS and FCS. At no time that I’m aware of does D1 college basketball ever take a backseat to FCS football.

I never FCS
Like this! Liked

smidge34
TRN Legend
TRN Legend

Post by smidge34 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:01 pm

fmftballmgr wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:30 pm
smidge34 wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:55 pm
fmftballmgr wrote:

I never FCS
Well then what are we debating here then?
Like this! Liked

runner67
TRN Sixth Man
TRN Sixth Man

Post by runner67 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:20 pm

I heard Allan wanted to select the search committee members that were to choose his replacement. This was squashed by our board of regents.
Like this! Liked

Explore Kentucky Lake